Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Rirse posted:

Ordered my Nexus 7 2013, but I am curious. I have in the past some Android games from Humble Bundle and there is a new PC + Android bundle, will those work on the Nexus 7? I only ask since it uses Google Play instead of the normal Android store it seems.

I don't know the details about the Humble Bundle, but...the Google Play store is the normal Android store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rirse posted:

Ordered my Nexus 7 2013, but I am curious. I have in the past some Android games from Humble Bundle and there is a new PC + Android bundle, will those work on the Nexus 7? I only ask since it uses Google Play instead of the normal Android store it seems.

They will work perfectly, just install the Humble Bundle app and download your games (once claimed on your humble account).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rirse posted:

Google Play is the normal Android store.

You can sideload Humble Bundle apps as well.

e:fb

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Glad to hear this. I am fairly new to Android so I actually didn't know Google Play WAS the Android Store. I thought it was separate for some reason.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

After performing a factory reset on my Nexus 7 2013, I've decided to leave it alone for a day to see how much battery will be used. I haven't made any customizations or installed any apps that didn't come with the device (or 4.4.3).

It looks like it loses about 10% per day with Google+ taking up 27% after being left on idle for 1d, 0hr, 12min.

I'm not 100% on if this is a good thing for a tablet or not, can anyone say? I'm estimating that it should take 10 days to need a charge if it lost 10% in 24hrs.

I really don't have the funds or time to replace it right now so I'm trying to test everything I can to make sure it needs replacing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's about as good as mine gets.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That G+ usage just seems odd. I use the hell out of G+ and have everything under the sun syncing and I never really see it listed beyond the bottom few things.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Tablet idle and tablet screen are always at the top for me, always. I never see Google + up there..

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

That G+ usage just seems odd. I use the hell out of G+ and have everything under the sun syncing and I never really see it listed beyond the bottom few things.

z06ck posted:

Tablet idle and tablet screen are always at the top for me, always. I never see Google + up there..

I've had this issue even before the factory reset. I've had it all syncing (as it is now), I've had Google+ Photos sync turned off, Google+ sync off, no notifications for G+, no Auto Backup on anything, no Location for G+, no nothing...I don't know what's going on either. Maybe that's the reason my battery died so fast?

I've never heard of this happening before. I mean, short of disabling G+, I don't see how else to fix it...or what's causing it.

Any ideas?

Right now, it's at 25% battery usage, CPU total is 26m, keep awake is 25m, it's received 2.56MB of data (wifi), and sent 423KB of it. It's still going.

Tablet idle is next at 23% of battery.

Screen isn't even on the list.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Not sure if it helps, but here's what mine looks like.

It did 4 app updates today and had some texts through Voice but that's it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Not sure if it helps, but here's what mine looks like.

It did 4 app updates today and had some texts through Voice but that's it.

This one is mine, taken just now.

No app updates, nothing but sitting there.

I have no idea what Google+ is doing.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Do you actually use Google+? Maybe it's just doing a lot of stuff.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Do you actually use Google+? Maybe it's just doing a lot of stuff.

I haven't used G+ on the tablet at all since I factory reset, never even opened it.

As for using it otherwise, I barely use it. The only thing that actually happens is backing up things as Auto Backup + Auto Awesome is turned on for both my phone and tablet, however I don't take photos/video with my tablet.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

ThermoPhysical posted:

This one is mine, taken just now.

No app updates, nothing but sitting there.

I have no idea what Google+ is doing.

24% of 18% battery over almost 48 hours is tiny. It means the rest of your tablet is idling really really well. I wish my numbers looked like that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Gerdalti posted:

24% of 18% battery over almost 48 hours is tiny. It means the rest of your tablet is idling really really well. I wish my numbers looked like that.

This does make me feel a bit better about my situation...then I look at this

...and I wonder if it's supposed to be on such a sharp incline or not. :confused:

Batteries are confusing.

Either way, I've taken G+ off of sync to see if it's a sync error. Information I found yesterday kind of suggests that.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That isn't a sharp incline*, you're just measuring over a long time period. That's like ten days of idle time which is pretty decent for an Android tablet. My N10 gets around that and my N7 gets about a week.

* It's also a decline but I get what you mean.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tunga posted:

That isn't a sharp incline*, you're just measuring over a long time period. That's like ten days of idle time which is pretty decent for an Android tablet. My N10 gets around that and my N7 gets about a week.

* It's also a decline but I get what you mean.

Yeah, meant decline. :v: Posted that when I wasn't completley awake, apparently.

10 days of idle isn't too bad. I'm guessing most of my battery issues seem to be from the apps themselves, mainly G+ right now.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Can someone recommand a good HDMI adapter for the Nexus 7 (2013)? I know you need a micro USB to HDMI adapter, but few I see on Amazon sometimes mention they don't work on the Nexus 7.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Rirse posted:

Can someone recommand a good HDMI adapter for the Nexus 7 (2013)? I know you need a micro USB to HDMI adapter, but few I see on Amazon sometimes mention they don't work on the Nexus 7.
You want a Slimport adapter.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
http://www.amazon.com/SlimPort-HDMI-Adapter-Connect-enabled/dp/B00DWGB6CU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396738240&sr=8-1&keywords=slimport

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I wouldn't describe it as "good".

The one I have is very temperamental. It takes a long time to coax the thing into a position where it will work. When it does work, you can't even deactivate the tablet screen while using it, so if you're using it to play a movie you have to turn the tablet away from you or cover it with something.

While movies look OK despite aspect ratio problems, Youtube (which is what I bought it for) is unwatchable.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That's a shame. I would figure with the resolution movies and youtube would look great on a big screen. Oh well that's what my laptop is for then since it has a built in HDMI port.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Rirse posted:

That's a shame. I would figure with the resolution movies and youtube would look great on a big screen. Oh well that's what my laptop is for then since it has a built in HDMI port.
Get a Chromecast.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 28, 2019

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

GregNorc posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread...

Recently changed my Google password. Now none of my Google services (G+, calendar, etc) will update on my Nexus 7. But I can't find a way to update the password.

It just keeps saying it couldn't get the data in G+, then offering to retry, for example.

You'll have to go to your Google account in the Settings app and update your password there.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 28, 2019

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

It looks like my weeklong experiment is over for my Nexus 7 32GB Wifi (2013). After 8 days, it's down to 4% of battery life.

I've turned off syncing for Google+, I don't have Location Reporting, and I've turned off Auto Backup for the tablet and it seems that's helped a bit.

It looks like the biggest offender is Google Search now, with Play Music right behind it. I do not have the Google Now Launcher installed as this is completely factory reset with no extra Google or third-party apps.

Is Android this bad with wakelocks or am I just overanalyzing things?

I'm guessing the battery life for my tablet is about average and my 4-5hrs of screen on time came from the Google/third party apps constantly running in the background.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

...am I just overanalyzing things?
I have no idea about the rest of your post, but the answer to this question is most definitely yes.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I have no idea about the rest of your post, but the answer to this question is most definitely yes.

I kind of figured, actually... :v:

It's probably Puzzle and Dragons anyway.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I like having the android manager on my nexus 7 so if I forget it somewhere etc, I have a chance of getting it back. BUT, I don't like that it shows up in my https://www.google.com/locationhistory/ because I leave it at home 90% of the time. Do I have an option between the 2? Is it just the one location reporting option?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
From the phone thread:

the kawaiiest posted:

e: my husband is ordering a Nexus 7 tonight. He doesn't like the cases from Google Play but he would really like at least a sleeve or something so he doesn't have to worry about it getting scratched or damaged in his bag. Any recommendations?
I use a Case Logic 7in sleeve:
http://www.caselogic.com/en-us/us/products/tablet-and-ereader-cases/tablet-cases/7-tablet-sleeve-_-lapst_-_107_-_black
You can find them in a bunch of different colours including some that mysteriously don't show up on the CL website. I'm in the UK but it looks like these are available in the US too.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I kind of figured, actually... :v:

It's probably Puzzle and Dragons anyway.

You know like 99% of your posts in this thread and the apps thread have been about battery life, right? 8 days is already pretty drat good, and all you had to do was turn off all the services on your tablet! The only logical next step is to just turn off the tablet altogether.

(stop worrying about it, and yes, it is puzzles and dragons.)

deong posted:

I like having the android manager on my nexus 7 so if I forget it somewhere etc, I have a chance of getting it back. BUT, I don't like that it shows up in my https://www.google.com/locationhistory/ because I leave it at home 90% of the time. Do I have an option between the 2? Is it just the one location reporting option?

https://maps.google.com/locationhistory/b/0/settings

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

This is to enable the feature altogether, not per device. I just want to get the tablet removed from map history while still having it in the android device manager.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I recently grabbed a Note 8 and was getting a case for it but almost everything I see has a magnet in it to wake/sleep it. According to a few mentions I read in a few places, some folks claim the prolonged magnet contact can mess with the Note's stylus recognition.

Short of cutting up a new case to pull out the magnet, are there any cheap non-magnet Note 8 cases out there?

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
I don't understand, you keep posting your battery life but it seems totally normal. Is 8 days standby a problem for you for some reason?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

deong posted:

This is to enable the feature altogether, not per device. I just want to get the tablet removed from map history while still having it in the android device manager.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, that's exactly what it does. That setting is only to turn off recording your location history, but doesn't disable locating your device via device manager.

I just set it to "Disable" and I can use Android Device Manager just fine.

e: unless you mean you also have a phone or something that you want to keep location history for?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

waffle posted:

I don't understand, you keep posting your battery life but it seems totally normal. Is 8 days standby a problem for you for some reason?

Because when he actually uses it, he gets like two hours.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

He seems to be comparing standby time to screen on time.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Endless Mike posted:

Don't see the problem there, when he is apparently cool with not using it at all for 8 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Geektox posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, that's exactly what it does. That setting is only to turn off recording your location history, but doesn't disable locating your device via device manager.

I just set it to "Disable" and I can use Android Device Manager just fine.

e: unless you mean you also have a phone or something that you want to keep location history for?

poo poo. Sorry yes. I've got a Droid Maxx that I thought I mentioned.

So I want to keep location history for the phone, and not the tablet. But keep android device manager on both.