Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
A co worker just said that the Squirrels are becoming sentient, and their blood lust is no longer sated by flight crews - they are now trying to murder an entire hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

What is it about the Squirrel/Astar (I hate marketing designations with the fury of a thousand suns) that makes it so accident-prone?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

What is it about the Squirrel/Astar (I hate marketing designations with the fury of a thousand suns) that makes it so accident-prone?

There are tons of them around so more of them crash? IDK.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Juneau is an Astar town, 206 was just tired of being alone.

It was my town first :colbert:

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

There is no one reason. Even though I can't stand the loving things, I will begrudgingly admit that sheer numbers are most of the reason you see so many crumpled up. It's kind of the default light single for anyone who needs a helicopter, be it VIP transport, medevac, news gathering, photography, utility, law enforcement, etc.

There are some mechanical reasons too, like a tendency to jack stall (the hydraulics cant keep up with the pilots input) at high speeds with higher gross weights. Speaking of hydraulics, all the models except for the newest B3e only have one hydraulic pump, and it's belt driven like a god drat lawn mower:

When that fucker lets go, there is supposedly enough pressure left for a handful of control inputs. Doesn't exactly inspire a lot of comfort.

The first models were powered by Lycoming LTS engines which had a poor reliability record, leading to the nickname "falling stars" or "death stars".

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
How is an aircraft with such a critical system as a single point of failure allowed to fly?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

EightBit posted:

How is an aircraft with such a critical system as a single point of failure allowed to fly?

Because reasons, basically. Manufacturers are always looking for a way to cut their costs and one of the ways they do it is with the whole "equivalent level of safety" exemption. Basically, if they can prove an otherwise non-compliant component/system will provide essentially the same level of safety as a compliant one, they can use the non-compliant system.

Sometimes it works just fine, sometimes it doesn't (like in the case of the Sikorsky S-92's gearbox oil filtration system).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not as good as redundancy, but the answer is you give the drive a ridiculous service factor. Modern synchronous belt drives, size for size, can have significantly higher power capacity than even steel chain. You can move a shockingly large amount of power for a very long time with a modern belt drive.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Can you fly the squirrel or whatever it is hydraulic boost off? If you can't, it seems pretty stupid that it isn't a redundant system. I'm guessing you can't since its four bladed. Is that belt driven off of the transmission or the accessory box?

My only exposure to small helicopters is the 206 (H-57) and that thing is pretty fool proof. you could fly it boost off, which while slightly uncomfortable was easily doable, especially at lower speeds. And the hydraulic pump for it was geared off of the transmission accessory, which if you lose that you have much much bigger problems.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I love A-Stars, gently caress Bells small aircraft.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Bob A Feet posted:

Can you fly the squirrel or whatever it is hydraulic boost off? If you can't, it seems pretty stupid that it isn't a redundant system. I'm guessing you can't since its four bladed. Is that belt driven off of the transmission or the accessory box?

My only exposure to small helicopters is the 206 (H-57) and that thing is pretty fool proof. you could fly it boost off, which while slightly uncomfortable was easily doable, especially at lower speeds. And the hydraulic pump for it was geared off of the transmission accessory, which if you lose that you have much much bigger problems.

The Squirrel is three bladed, and the hydraulic belt drive is run off the main rotor gearbox. In response to criticism (and smoking craters in the ground) the newest model is equipped with redundant hydraulics - one gear driven off the transmission, the other belt driven like earlier models.

Flying the Squirrel with the gorillas off is nothing like a 206 or 407. The control forces are very high, and god help you if you use up the accumulator pressure before you get the thing pitched back down to 60kt IAS.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Bob A Feet posted:

Well, I suppose you could ask this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onQb06oiFjk So I guess you can :airquote: fly :airquote: it.

Have some NTSB action
http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20040512X00594&key=1
http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20040512X00594&ntsbno=NYC04FA117&akey=1

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
BAE Systems released some drawings done by British Aerospace engineers in the 1960s for poo poo they wanted to make but couldn't because it was [a] batshit crazy [b] a bit pointless [c] impossible

This awesome looking thing is the Intercity Vertical-Lift Aircraft, a passenger jet with VTOL capabilities so you could put airports in the middle of crowded city centres, to give everyone the pleasant experience of living next to an active runway. I think the idea was to compete with high speed rail or something. In this drawing they've decided a great place for an airport would be Battersea in south west London.

This is the Fighter Jet Take-Off Platform, which was a sort of strap-on VTOL package for regular fighters. It'd raise straight up and the attached jet would then take off somehow (by falling to gain airspeed maybe?) and, er, I suppose the platform would be reusable maybe or it would run out of fuel and crash into the ground. The advantage of the platform is you don't need a runway to take off from, the disadvantage is you still need one to land. But hey it's the '60s, all your aircraft would probably be destroyed in nuclear hellfire anyway.

This peppy little bastard is called the MUSTARD, the Multi-Unit Space Transport And Recovery Device. Why have one space shuttle when you can have three, strapped together! All of them would be crewed, launching as a single unit the outer two would act as boosters, separate and then fly back to land while the central one would go into space. 1960s engineers: very concerned about recycling, don't give a gently caress about complexity and weight.

:rock: MOTHER loving JUMP JEEP :rock: 12 vertical lift fans attached to a 4X4 so it could clear enemy obstacles, and then sink into any marshland, sand or mud because of the weight required to carry the propulsion system needed for 12 fans capable of lifting a land rover. Also, with the low ground clearance, it'd get stuck the first time it had to go over a hill with the fans out of action.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
All of those are awesome, you hater.

In a couple months I'm going to get a chance to take photos of a flying/flyable F7F Tigercat (among other things) which is on my shortlist of "hell yes" - didn't someone here make a nice how to take photos of prop aircraft post? Powercube? I want to make sure I get it right. I shoot with an aps-c Canon and can rent whatever tele/supertelephoto so lens suggestions also welcome.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Psion posted:

In a couple months I'm going to get a chance to take photos of a flying/flyable F7F Tigercat (among other things) which is on my shortlist of "hell yes" - didn't someone here make a nice how to take photos of prop aircraft post? Powercube? I want to make sure I get it right. I shoot with an aps-c Canon and can rent whatever tele/supertelephoto so lens suggestions also welcome.

It was powercube, and this is the thread you probably want.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I was going to argue but then I remembered that almost every time I flew between Dulles and Heathrow my luggage invariably arrived a day after I did.

Heathrow is its own brand of misery though.

Terminal 5 is objectively better than every single US airport, even MIA and SFO. #truefact

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
Okay, so how often does something like this interaction occur between tower and an aircraft? That doesn't seem healthy…

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

ctishman posted:

Okay, so how often does something like this interaction occur between tower and an aircraft? That doesn't seem healthy…

I think this was posted in the aviation megathread a couple weeks ago. Apparently a lot of controllers don't like Air China for that reason.

On the other hand, JFK is fairly well known online for having pretty entertaining controller interactions with aircraft, so it's worth looking some other videos up of them too.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

SeaborneClink posted:

It was powercube, and this is the thread you probably want.

Thank you, that's it. Added bonus, it's full of Paine Field (KPAE, if you wanna be a nerd) specific stuff too which is where I'll be. F7F :allears:

now I just have to figure out where to set up. Near FHC, or up by the Hilton. decisions decisions.

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 11, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

GI Joe vehicles, all of them

Luneshot posted:

I think this was posted in the aviation megathread a couple weeks ago. Apparently a lot of controllers don't like Air China for that reason.

On the other hand, JFK is fairly well known online for having pretty entertaining controller interactions with aircraft, so it's worth looking some other videos up of them too.

They do, but they don't have Boston John

His Ron and Fez "CYA!" shoutouts are the best.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Shut up. I need this for my lawn.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

:rock: MOTHER loving JUMP JEEP :rock: 12 vertical lift fans attached to a 4X4 so it could clear enemy obstacles, and then sink into any marshland, sand or mud because of the weight required to carry the propulsion system needed for 12 fans capable of lifting a land rover. Also, with the low ground clearance, it'd get stuck the first time it had to go over a hill with the fans out of action.
I swear that's pretty much identical to something I drew as a 10 year old. God drat, they should have made this work even if it bankrupted the country.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
I could see myself owning a jumpjeep.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ctishman posted:

First comment got an actual groan from me...

T: Malysia370, this is tower. What's your ETA?
M: Roger, this M370, we fly yes
T: Negative M370. That was a question. When are you landing?
M: Ok, we landing now
T: M370 confirm your position
M: ......................

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

Psion posted:

When's the tigercat weekend, I'm an HFF member (of course) so I'll be up on the photo berm (if I am not on a crazy adventure). You can't get there, sadly.

For all things HFF, the best option is to shoot from the windsock (by HFF). FHC's only good in the mornings.

Just shoot me a PM if you can- PAE is my hood.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

VikingSkull posted:

GI Joe vehicles, all of them

They do, but they don't have Boston John

His Ron and Fez "CYA!" shoutouts are the best.

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLGAAAN

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Jet Bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, runway tree tree left delta, Mocha Hagotdi!

e- the sly hasta la vista he says to women, so they say it back.....just so he can slip in the ".....baby" to them is the pinnacle of ATC hilarity

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 12, 2014

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

This is the Fighter Jet Take-Off Platform, which was a sort of strap-on VTOL package for regular fighters. It'd raise straight up and the attached jet would then take off somehow (by falling to gain airspeed maybe?) and, er, I suppose the platform would be reusable maybe or it would run out of fuel and crash into the ground. The advantage of the platform is you don't need a runway to take off from, the disadvantage is you still need one to land. But hey it's the '60s, all your aircraft would probably be destroyed in nuclear hellfire anyway.

That reminded me of something I saved ages ago.

As I recall, the idea was that it would allow aircraft to be flown out of airfields that had been bombed, you just fill in the craters with dirt and hovercraft over them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Why don't we just make giant treadmills.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

CharlesM posted:

Why don't we just make giant treadmills.

Makes sense. Aircraft these days are getting a bit obese, could probably stand to lose a few pounds.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Boston John is great. Guy seems to really love his job.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

ctishman posted:

I work near the Mexican/Texas border and the language barrier can get pretty bad at times. It's dangerous, and it sucks. But there's really nothing we can do about it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Powercube posted:

You can't get there, sadly.

top secret members-only ridge? Sent you a PM.

e: uhhh nice, Fifi's flying in a couple times this summer. Yeah I'll go see a B-29, absolutely.

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 13, 2014

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ctishman posted:

I don't deal with too many foreign pilots, but there are definitely communication issues. One big mistake that guy made is asking a question that could be mistaken as a control instruction. You flat out can't do that with a lot of foreign pilots. They're listening for certain words, and when they hear them, they take it as a clearance and go. You either give them an instruction or you don't.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

I don't deal with too many foreign pilots, but there are definitely communication issues. One big mistake that guy made is asking a question that could be mistaken as a control instruction. You flat out can't do that with a lot of foreign pilots. They're listening for certain words, and when they hear them, they take it as a clearance and go. You either give them an instruction or you don't.

We have a controller who is now infamous for asking a Yankee Victor (Venezuelan registered aircraft, notorious for being hard to deal with, and having poor English skills,) to switch to a different frequency and relay something to another aircraft...

It didn't go well. :v:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
That's what's fun about this job. Sometimes you do/hear someone do something and just think "Why, why on earth would you even ask them that?"

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
TURN THE HEAT OFF

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Snowdens Secret posted:

TURN THE HEAT OFF

Say again please sir, I can't hear anything, what?!?

OFF, TURN THE loving HEAT OFF, USE MANUAL, O-F-F!!

TURN THE GODDAMNED TEMPERATURE DOWN!!!

Turn heat on, sir??

USE MANUAL, GO COLD, JESUS CHRIST!!

On??

NO OFF!!!! O-F-F! GO COLD, C-O-L-D!!!

So what's wrong sir?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4VCV_z52GU

lol at the JASDF

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

iyaayas01 posted:

Say again please sir, I can't hear anything, what?!?

OFF, TURN THE loving HEAT OFF, USE MANUAL, O-F-F!!

TURN THE GODDAMNED TEMPERATURE DOWN!!!

Turn heat on, sir??

USE MANUAL, GO COLD, JESUS CHRIST!!

On??

NO OFF!!!! O-F-F! GO COLD, C-O-L-D!!!

So what's wrong sir?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4VCV_z52GU

lol at the JASDF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtDAK7Umk7A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko