Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

Adding some sort of snype level encryption would probably involve updating the lenses to have some sort of encryption (since otherwise sigma could flash their lenses to look like a nifty 50), and like canon's going to make new lenses.

No, see, it's not locking down their system, it's their patented Photon Integrity Security System, which Canon has always been known for, if just by the acronym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

Of course unless they make a highly illegal deal with Nikon to do the exact same thing, it's basically only gonna hurt them.
This is key. The fact that fewer people want SLRs every day that passes also helps.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is there a reason to buy anything other than the $50 Chinese extension tube sets on ebay?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Huxley posted:

Is there a reason to buy anything other than the $50 Chinese extension tube sets on ebay?

If you want AF the kenko sets are probably your bestbet, although there are some other brands of af tubes on amazon for around 50 bucks .

If you don't need AF or auto aperture you can get dumb tubes for under 15 bucks on amazon most likely.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
^^^ I have a set of Optekas and they are great

Huxley posted:

Do they have contacts for AF/aperture control? Are they metal rather than plastic? If so, sounds like a good deal. If not, I would look for tubes that are metal with the pass-through contacts.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Mr. Despair posted:

Adding some sort of lens level encryption would probably involve updating the lenses to have some sort of encryption (since otherwise sigma could flash their lenses to look like a nifty 50), and like canon's going to make new lenses.

Not to mention that Canon doesn;t exactly shine when it comes to encryption technology:

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/canon-camera-encryption-cracked/

quote:

Canon camera encryption cracked

A Russian programmer has found a terminal weakness in a Canon system to ensure the authenticity of photos taken by law enforcement, insurance companies, or other investigators.

http://alexbernstein.com/wiki/canon-camera-hacking/

quote:

In Dec 2003, by analyzing files I’ve extracted from my Digital Rebel, I’ve discovered the algorithm and the key used by Canon to encrypt their firmware updates. I’ve set up a wiki to document my findings and to serve as the central repository for CanonHacking.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:
Sigma 50 officially priced at $949 according to a B&H email my grandma got and forwarded to me along with a funny comic about president Barack Obama

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora..._Sigma-50mm-f14

Edit: Oh wait here's a DPR article http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/0...t&ref=title_0_0

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Cute as heck posted:

Sigma 50 officially priced at $949 according to a B&H email my grandma got and forwarded to me along with a funny comic about president Barack Obama

I see that they are following Adobe's pricing policy of screwing the UK:

US Price: $949 (£ 565)
UK Price: £849 ($1,425)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
More samples!

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/04/11/sample-images-sigma-50mm-f1-4-ii-art/

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

spog posted:

I see that they are following Adobe's pricing policy of screwing the UK:

US Price: $949 (£ 565)
UK Price: £849 ($1,425)

Didn't realize that was an Adobe exclusive thing. Plenty of times I see you guys get more screwed than that, with the numbers being the same and swapping out the $ for the £.

Cute as heck posted:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora..._Sigma-50mm-f14

Excellent, that's a no brainer to me.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
I'd be really interested in it if the focus throw wasn't only 90 degrees like the 35/1.4.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The price was $850 when I looked at the lens on a government purchasing website. I wonder if that's the price it'll settle at after the early adopter premium fades.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
When you guys use Variable nd filters, what kind of hoods are you using?
Are my only options the screw in type ones?

(Mainly because I use a 77mm nd and the front screw in is 82mm-eBay gives limited options for non metal hoods such as the petal shape only.)

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
A matte box and square filters should solve that problem.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

1st AD posted:

A matte box and square filters should solve that problem.

This is a good thought, i think I'll go this route in the future.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Wondering if anyone else has had this problem with Nikon digitals, I mounted a older AI lens on my d7000 today and the body seems to think the minimum aperture is now f48 and max is f8, lens is max of f3.5, pictures look exposed fine though. I has issues with a sigma lens from KEH doing a very similar thing although that was an AF lens with a aperture ring. Is it possible the sigma lens busted something?

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem with Nikon digitals, I mounted a older AI lens on my d7000 today and the body seems to think the minimum aperture is now f48 and max is f8, lens is max of f3.5, pictures look exposed fine though. I has issues with a sigma lens from KEH doing a very similar thing although that was an AF lens with a aperture ring. Is it possible the sigma lens busted something?

Did you enter the lens specifications properly when you put it on the body? The D7000 has no way of knowing what a non-CPU lens is unless you tell it focal length and max/min apertures. On the MENU screen, there's a section for "Non-CPU Lens Data" in which you can assign the lens a number and enter its specs.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I have a D600 which will do this, I think it has to do with whatever mechanism that translates the aperture setting bugging out/not making contact at each stop.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

TheJeffers posted:

Did you enter the lens specifications properly when you put it on the body? The D7000 has no way of knowing what a non-CPU lens is unless you tell it focal length and max/min apertures. On the MENU screen, there's a section for "Non-CPU Lens Data" in which you can assign the lens a number and enter its specs.

all that does is enable goodies like matrix metering on non-cpu lenses, it should be measuring the aperture info from the lugs.

1st AD posted:

I have a D600 which will do this, I think it has to do with whatever mechanism that translates the aperture setting bugging out/not making contact at each stop.

seems strange that it cant give me the number right but is still taking pics fine, i don't use my old lenses very often except for my macro lens, would it be worth fixing or just live with it?

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Ezekiel_980 posted:

all that does is enable goodies like matrix metering on non-cpu lenses, it should be measuring the aperture info from the lugs.

If you want accurate aperture information in the finder, entering the lens info is not an optional thing.

TheJeffers fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 15, 2014

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Yeah, the AI sensing tab tells the camera "the aperture setting has changed by one stop", not "the aperture is now f/4". If the lens doesn't have pins on it, the only way the camera is going to know the maximum aperture of the lens is if you tell it, so even if it's exposing correctly, you're going to be seeing a bunch of nonsense in the viewfinder if you didn't set it right.

Moonbloodsflow
Sep 5, 2002
"Hey baby, let's see some of that axe wound"
I'm looking to purchase an all around decent camera. I don't know anything about photography but I'm wanting to learn. I'd like to have something good for photo and video. I have spent weeks reading and am currently thinking about picking up the Panasonic FZ200. I can't decide if I should take the plunge on it or get a budget DSLR. I'm just not sure if I'm ready to worry about lenses. Some of the sub compact cameras were pretty interesting too. I have owned a Canon G9 but I never did much with it. I'd like to keep my total budget at around $500-800. I don't have any specific needs and I know there's no camera that does it all. I'd just like to come as to an all arounder as I can. I really like the zoom capabilities of the FZ200. Thoughts? Is there a better investment? I haven't totally ruled out a lensed based system.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Moonbloodsflow posted:

I'm looking to purchase an all around decent camera. I don't know anything about photography but I'm wanting to learn. I'd like to have something good for photo and video. I have spent weeks reading and am currently thinking about picking up the Panasonic FZ200. I can't decide if I should take the plunge on it or get a budget DSLR. I'm just not sure if I'm ready to worry about lenses. Some of the sub compact cameras were pretty interesting too. I have owned a Canon G9 but I never did much with it. I'd like to keep my total budget at around $500-800. I don't have any specific needs and I know there's no camera that does it all. I'd just like to come as to an all arounder as I can. I really like the zoom capabilities of the FZ200. Thoughts? Is there a better investment? I haven't totally ruled out a lensed based system.

Make a list of what you want the camera to do, and then put them in descending order with the most important at the top.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Ah that explains everything and now all the numbers make sense! I figured that all Nikon did was retrofit a system from the old cameras that made it into info the camera can read.

of course now i am wondering how did AI cameras figure out what the f stop was?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Ah that explains everything and now all the numbers make sense! I figured that all Nikon did was retrofit a system from the old cameras that made it into info the camera can read.

of course now i am wondering how did AI cameras figure out what the f stop was?

From Wikipedia:

"Manual focus with "Automatic Maximum-Aperture Indexing," introduced in 1977. The AI standard adds a Meter Coupling Ridge to the aperture ring, which encodes the current aperture setting relative to the maximum, and a Lens Speed Indexing Post on the mounting flange, which encodes the maximum aperture itself. The Ridge and Post couple to the camera's light meter. Lenses designated AI-S, Series E, and AF all include these features of AI. Current professional Nikon camera bodies link with the Meter Coupling Ridge, but the Lens Speed Indexing Post is ignored and the maximum aperture value is set electronically by the operator instead. AI-designated lenses also improved on the original Meter Coupling Prong, adding cutaways which allow more ambient light to fall on the aperture ring, increasing visibility on cameras which optically projected the setting inside the viewfinder."

Neat.

Moonbloodsflow
Sep 5, 2002

grack posted:

Make a list of what you want the camera to do, and then put them in descending order with the most important at the top.

This is difficult for me since I don't know really what I want to do. What I want is pretty generic. I'm mostly just wanting something to learn on and explore with. So..without really knowing what I'm talking about...

1. Picture Quality/Speed
2. Video Quality/Recording length
3. Low Light Capabilities
4. Decent Zoom Capabilities
5. I don't want to mess with post processing at first. So an assortment of features on the camera would be nice.
6. Something with the fundamentals to learn on. But not something that's overwhelming.
7. I like the idea of physically having full manual control with actual tactile buttons/knobs to control said features. As in, I don't want to be stuck doing everything through menus. I want to feel what I'm doing. And be able to make changes to zoom, focus, aperture, shutter speed, ISO.
8. Something I can grow with. Or add on to if needed. Something I'd still find useful if I upgrade later on.
9. Portability. Little maintenance.
10. A nice sound when I take a shot haha

What I envision myself doing is going out on the town, nature and taking shots. I'm planning a motorcycle trip on the grand american trail so I'd prob want to take it with me there. But I also have some ideas for basic documentaries I want to explore. So video is important.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Moonbloodsflow posted:

This is difficult for me since I don't know really what I want to do. What I want is pretty generic. I'm mostly just wanting something to learn on and explore with. So..without really knowing what I'm talking about...

1. Picture Quality/Speed
2. Video Quality/Recording length
3. Low Light Capabilities
4. Decent Zoom Capabilities
5. I don't want to mess with post processing at first. So an assortment of features on the camera would be nice.
6. Something with the fundamentals to learn on. But not something that's overwhelming.
7. I like the idea of physically having full manual control with actual tactile buttons/knobs to control said features. As in, I don't want to be stuck doing everything through menus. I want to feel what I'm doing. And be able to make changes to zoom, focus, aperture, shutter speed, ISO.
8. Something I can grow with. Or add on to if needed. Something I'd still find useful if I upgrade later on.
9. Portability. Little maintenance.
10. A nice sound when I take a shot haha

What I envision myself doing is going out on the town, nature and taking shots. I'm planning a motorcycle trip on the grand american trail so I'd prob want to take it with me there. But I also have some ideas for basic documentaries I want to explore. So video is important.

For most of your requirements I'd say the FZ is OK. I personally would get a system you could change lenses on, because for me it seems more economical to invest in glass you can use later down the line. The lens on the FZ, as nice as it is, won't come off when time comes to replace the body. Plus the sensor is kinda small and not awesome.

For all your requirements I think I'd look into a GH3 used maybe.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
The basic tradeoff you're going to make with a superzoom-type camera is image quality vs. zoom length. Now, the FZ200 will by no means be bad, but you're going to give up a couple of levels of high ISO usage as well as detail to something like a Micro 4/3rds camera, which has a substantially larger sensor. On the other hand, a 600mm F2.8 equivalent lens would be impossible to replicate on an interchangeable lens camera within your budget.

So, there's the decision to make. Within your budget you could get a current-gen Micro 4/3rds camera and two very decent kit lenses with options for expansion in the future.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Moonbloodsflow posted:

Did you not use the G9 because it was annoying to use or because you just didn't feel like taking photos? If it was the latter then spend as little as possible because you probably still won't bother to take photos. If it was because you were unhappy with the camera then for the love of god do not buy a lovely bridge camera. I would recommend you look into the OMD E-M10, it's at the upper end of your budget but hits all the points you want.

Moonbloodsflow
Sep 5, 2002

8th-snype posted:

Did you not use the G9 because it was annoying to use or because you just didn't feel like taking photos? If it was the latter then spend as little as possible because you probably still won't bother to take photos. If it was because you were unhappy with the camera then for the love of god do not buy a lovely bridge camera. I would recommend you look into the OMD E-M10, it's at the upper end of your budget but hits all the points you want.

I didn't use it because life got in the way and prevented me from having the opportunity. Eventually I sold it to a friend so someone could benefit from it. It certainly wasn't because I didn't feel like taking photos. I could expand my budget but I was trying to be reasonable. I'm going to take some more time to wait for more input and do some more research. I'm definitely not in a hurry.

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

Hope it's the right thread for this question. Was cleaning out the closet, found these old SLR cameras in the stuff my mom left me after selling the house. I looked them up on ebay, and they don't look like they're worth a whole lot. I don't know anything about photography, so googling the specs of these lenses just gives me more specs, which I don't understand.

1. Are these lenses any good?

2. Can these lenses be used on a DSLR?

(Pictures are on tinypic, imgur wasn't working for me, so hope these load okay.)

I have a friend who just got a DSLR recently (not sure what brand), and if the lenses aren't crap I'd like to give them to her, if they're DSLR compatible.
If they're not DSLR compatible, I'd give the cameras to a local college with a darkroom or something. I'm not looking to make any money off them, I just don't want to see them wasted if they're decent.

Thanks.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Funosaurus posted:

Hope it's the right thread for this question. Was cleaning out the closet, found these old SLR cameras in the stuff my mom left me after selling the house. I looked them up on ebay, and they don't look like they're worth a whole lot. I don't know anything about photography, so googling the specs of these lenses just gives me more specs, which I don't understand.

1. No. The Canon lens is the standard kit lens crap that comes with the camera. It takes pictures but it's not real great. Modern kit lenses have come a long, long way in the last 10 years. The Quantaray is a knock-off third party execution of the same idea (for Nikon)

2. Probably. Either of them will probably mount and run, but they'll have their rear end handed to them by the kit lenses nowadays.

Of course you can still run film through them. You can pick up a 50/1.8 for either mount for like $100, so the body might be useful to a photo school.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

1. No. The Canon lens is the standard kit lens crap that comes with the camera. It takes pictures but it's not real great. Modern kit lenses have come a long, long way in the last 10 years. The Quantaray is a knock-off third party execution of the same idea (for Nikon)

2. Probably. Either of them will probably mount and run, but they'll have their rear end handed to them by the kit lenses nowadays.

Of course you can still run film through them. You can pick up a 50/1.8 for either mount for like $100, so the body might be useful to a photo school.

I once inherited a copy of that 35-80 EF, and it definitely autofocused on my 40D. It also didn't get anywhere remotely sharp until about f11.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Both lenses are autofocus (AF) lenses from the mid-1990's, built for the consumer / entry-level SLR market. They're what are often refered to as "kit lenses", sold as a package with the camera and engineered for low cost above most other priorities.

That's not to say those are bad lenses - by that era, few really bad lenses were being made anymore, they just won't stand out in any way.

As for compatibility - the good news is those are both AF lenses. That means a modern DSLR is likely to be able to use one of them. If your friend has a Canon DSLR, that Canon lens will work on her camera. Similarly, if your friend has a Nikon DSLR it can probably wear that Quantaray.

Canon's EOS series and EF lenses are fully compatible with modern Canon DSLRs. I know there are some complexities with Nikon, though, so if your friend has a Nikon DSLR please let us know the model (the Nikon you showed us is the N50 - look for the name of the camera in the same spot), others more familiar with Nikon will be able to fill in the details there.

The other consideration with cameras of that era is batteries. For some reason, almost every camera of that era (and still to this day, to some extent) used weird-rear end specialized batteries. That makes them less attractive if the battery is some oddball expensive thing.

A quick look at ebay suggests you might reasonably ask $50 for either camera. That further suggests a local college or high school or whatever with a darkroom would probably appreciate them but they probably wouldn't be over the moon about the gift - decent, basic cameras to learn the basics of photography on, but cheap and widely available.

If your friend's DSLR is neither Canon nor Nikon (Pentax, Olympus, Sony, etc.) then all bets are off - she won't be able to use either lens.

tl/dr: invite your friend over to try them on her camera (it will be rapidly obvious if the lens won't fit, and no damage to anything will happen for the trying unless you're an ogre). Donate at least one of them to your local college. They're decent, but not outstanding.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Funosaurus posted:

(Pictures are on tinypic, imgur wasn't working for me, so hope these load okay.)

I have a friend who just got a DSLR recently (not sure what brand), and if the lenses aren't crap I'd like to give them to her, if they're DSLR compatible.
If they're not DSLR compatible, I'd give the cameras to a local college with a darkroom or something. I'm not looking to make any money off them, I just don't want to see them wasted if they're decent.

Thanks.

You might be able to convert the 35-80 to a macro if you're up to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M1NkwTzS-4

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

Thank you for the detailed explanations, ExecuDork and Paul MaudDib! ExecuDork, thank you for explaining like I'm 5 years old, that's exactly what I was looking for. :)
I'll definitely be donating that Canon.

Would the Quantaray fit a Nikon D7100? That's the camera my friend has, but she lives 5 hours away so I don't want to mail it if it's no good for her.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pseudonordic posted:

This is amazing and I'm doing it as soon as I get the kids in bed.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

pseudonordic posted:

That's pretty great, actually. Does knocking out the front element turn any kit-zoom into a macro lens? Or is it something about the Canon 35-80 / 28-80 (mentioned in the vid) that makes this possible?

Funosaurus posted:

Thank you for the detailed explanations, ExecuDork and Paul MaudDib! ExecuDork, thank you for explaining like I'm 5 years old, that's exactly what I was looking for. :)
I'll definitely be donating that Canon.

Would the Quantaray fit a Nikon D7100? That's the camera my friend has, but she lives 5 hours away so I don't want to mail it if it's no good for her.
Hey, I wrote that as if you were 6, not 5, I have my standards!

The Nikon D7100 has the AF motor in the body, which means it can autofocus that lens and meter with it and do all the things a camera body does when it's talking to a lens. I think. Better get confirmation.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

That's pretty great, actually. Does knocking out the front element turn any kit-zoom into a macro lens? Or is it something about the Canon 35-80 / 28-80 (mentioned in the vid) that makes this possible?

The Nikon D7100 has the AF motor in the body, which means it can autofocus that lens and meter with it and do all the things a camera body does when it's talking to a lens. I think. Better get confirmation.

Here's a video linked from that one that has the guy not actually knock the glass out but just remove that element all together. I think I'll go that route rather than making a mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PXwmtyqNKE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

Nikon website says the same thing. I'll see if she wants it. :)

Thanks for all the help!