Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Based on the comments in the post, the limits are the most extreme states (and D.C.) rather than absolutes.

Ah, I scanned the comments but missed that. In that case, without the numbers marked on the scales, the maps are rather meaningless. Still, it's horrifying that some of those choices got even 1 answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Jerry Cotton posted:

gently caress yes let those dirty Ostrobothnians and Laplanders murder each other.

It's not murder, it's traditional pastime. :ese:

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

Antwan3K posted:

It is the Belgian province of Liege. Large unemployment due to closures of manufacturing industries (esp. steel industry) may have something to do with it.
Still, it's not the only place that suffered from this. In the same country, Hainaut has probably suffered at least as much, and it's slightly less blue.

Also weird is Walloon Brabant, which is the poshest part of the region and filled with rich commuters to Brussels (It's the province with the second-highest average income in the country, after its Flemish counterpart), and yet is as blue as Liège. I suspect economy isn't the only factor here.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Valiantman posted:

It's not murder, it's traditional pastime. :ese:

It's not considered murder if you kill your family and then yourself. That's death from natural causes.

Nyarlothotep
Apr 14, 2007
Don't fail to see Nyarlathotep if he comes to Providence. He is horrible — horrible beyond anything you can imagine — but wonderful. He haunts one for hours afterward. I am still shuddering at what he showed.

Lawman 0 posted:

Wait do you mean Fn?

Yeah, They're based in Herstal, which is in Liege province.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Count Roland posted:

This one seems like a reading comprehension thing. Homosexuality is in fact a sin; god threw a comet at a city that had gays in it.

A better question is: should we care what the bible says?

Look at dis chump who doesn't understand basic Old Testament exegesis and the context of ancient near eastern social compacts.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

skipThings posted:

Oh Brandenburg :rolleyes:

Is Algarve especially poverty stricken or what is happening in south Portugal ?

Algarve is the third least poor region of Portugal, second being Madeira, and first Lisbon. The correct answer is tourists. But the Algarve has been for quite some time the most crime filled region in Portugal(which doesn't really mean much considering everything). The major crimes in the Algarve has always been theft and kidnapping, so homicide rate being that high is kinda surprising.

I was trying to find the numbers, but I just find rates for "grave and violent crimes" which is shorthand for Portuguese officials blending murders, brutal theft, kidnapping all in the same bag.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is there a reason why Russia's murder rate is so high? Mafia?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

escape mechanism posted:

Also weird is Walloon Brabant, which is the poshest part of the region and filled with rich commuters to Brussels (It's the province with the second-highest average income in the country, after its Flemish counterpart), and yet is as blue as Liège. I suspect economy isn't the only factor here.

It surprises me as well, this is the first I've heard of Wallonia having a particularly high murder rate. I'd kind of like to see a map of the United States with the same legend.

I also can't believe how terrible Russia is in every single way.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Kurtofan posted:

Misery.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Well that's a given :smith:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

Lots of vodka.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Lots of killing.

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

It's probably mostly poverty. Murder rates are pretty strongly correlated with poverty and Russia is a poor country on the whole, especially compared to Western Europe.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

Phlegmish posted:

It surprises me as well, this is the first I've heard of Wallonia having a particularly high murder rate. I'd kind of like to see a map of the United States with the same legend.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Is 30 Days of Darkness a regular reality on those northern Canadian islands or what?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Thump! posted:

Is 30 Days of Darkness a regular reality on those northern Canadian islands or what?

Bunch 'a reasons. Poverty, high alcoholism rates, and don't forget low population. You can see a similar effect in eastern Russia, which also has very low population, thus raising the per capita murder rate.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The one thing that surprises me about Russia is that Chechnya has one of the lowest homicide rates in the country. I'm assuming any deaths involving the military aren't being counted?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

HorseRenoir posted:

The one thing that surprises me about Russia is that Chechnya has one of the lowest homicide rates in the country. I'm assuming any deaths involving the military aren't being counted?

That is a bit strange. Dagestan is also very violent, though maybe it doesn't get counted because so many disappear rather than being overtly murdered. I wouldn't be inclined to trust stats from that area.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Redeye Flight posted:

Bunch 'a reasons. Poverty, high alcoholism rates, and don't forget low population. You can see a similar effect in eastern Russia, which also has very low population, thus raising the per capita murder rate.
Is that basically the same reason as NT in Aus, too?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Redeye Flight posted:

and don't forget low population. You can see a similar effect in eastern Russia, which also has very low population, thus raising the per capita murder rate.
Eh, I don't think it works that way; murders aren't a constant tied to whatever territory you use to divide a population. Low population does make it more likely that a few extra murders result in a big increase in murder rates for that year though, but it can likewise go the other way in good years. On a longer time frame, it's probably more to do with these areas being further from authorities, as well as poverty, and perhaps just the kind of people such an environment attracts. (And repels.)

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
One thing that interests me about that map is that you can clearly see the western borders of the former Soviet Union. I'd expect it to jump between Poland and Ukraine/Belarus; but you can clearly see that it is higher in the Baltic States as well, which is interesting. I'd have expected crime rates to be similar between Poland and Estonia/Latvia/Lithuania...

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Wait, so most of India has a lower homocide rate than Louisiana?

And you're more likely to get murdered in Nunavut than in Moscow?

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 11, 2014

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009
Well, guns are illegal in India whereas they are prevalent in Louisiana. The addition of guns will turn some number of assaults into homicides.

This is almost certainly police-reported crime statistics so the stats for less developed countries may be lower or skewed due to ineffective policing. That's probably also why like Myanmar is showing at a Western European level of homicide when there is a pretty active ethnic cleansing campaign/civil war going on there. That said, in general, homicide rate tends to be by far the most accurate crime statistic year-to-year and jurisdiction-to-jurisdiction.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

what exactly is rate, per 100,000 people?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I don't think so, they're using national subdivisions.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Is that basically the same reason as NT in Aus, too?

Yep, entire territory only has 220,000 people, of which over half are in the Darwin area and another 20,000 or so in Alice Springs. But it's obviously really big.

The other thing is it unfortunately is a massive symbol of how poorly we have treated our indigenous population, with so many of them in the NT having huge issues with alcohol, and reports of domestic violence/murder/assault/etc. A lot of it is hyped up by racists of course, but it's a very real problem that Australia simply doesn't give a poo poo about :( Really sad. I think if you took a lot of stats about the NT you'd see some shocking stuff. I think I read a report once that Indigenous Australians had a life expectancy comparable to that of like, West Africa's, whereas obviously the rest of Australia is almost the highest in the world. Grim stuff.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Redeye Flight posted:

That doesn't make sense. 'Rate' means that they're already taking population into account. Or what Buttery Pastry said, basically.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

That doesn't make sense. 'Rate' means that they're already taking population into account. Or what Buttery Pastry said, basically.
But you're ignoring the important part of what he said: the low population makes it open to pretty wild fluctuations in rate year over year for a relatively rare event. Nunavut has a population of around 32,000 people, meaning a single homicide is a rate of ~3.1/100,000.

As a result, all of the Territories - which combined have around 110,000 people - show a lot of pretty major swings in homicide rate. Using official StatsCan data, the three territories have low and high rates (actual number of homicides in parentheses) between 2008-12 as follows:

Yukon: 0.00 (0) / 9.06 (3)
NWT: 2.28 (1) / 11.53 (5)
Nunavut: 12.65 (4) / 20.86 (7)

The territories certainly tend to have much more violence than the provinces, but a snapshot of the homicide rate in a single year isn't the most useful measure with sparsely populated regions.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Augmented Dickey posted:

And you're more likely to get murdered in Nunavut than in Moscow?

If you're in podunk Louisiana, no. If you're in New Orleans, yes. Most U.S. States are too big and diverse to get a real sense of where the bad crime spots are. If it were broken down by the county level, you'd see plenty of blood red areas

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

http://ispol.com/sasha/squares/ posted:

This map has the Robinson projection divided into 18,620 squares, showing which ones produce more than US$100 billion in GDP, according to Brookings in 2012.

It should be noted that because the Robinson projection is not equal-area, the squares are not equal in size. The area of a square varies from around 27,500 sq. km. near Jakarta to 30,000 sq. km. near St. Petersburg.

The area in orange consists of 197 squares. In total they generated an estimated $32 trillion in 2012, 45% of the world's GDP.
Many squares' GDP far exceeded $100 billion. The largest of these were around Tokyo and New York, both of which exceeded $1 trillion.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Europe is winning all of these maps lately.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Phlegmish posted:

Europe is winning all of these maps lately.

You could really just rename the map 'Where do people in the first world live?' It pretty much just matches up to population centers and as the linked text notes the squares really aren't proportional to each other.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
It's weird that all of Japan is included, I always thought Hokkaido was pretty sparsely populated.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kind of surprised the Shandong Peninsula is highlighted but I guess it is one of the wealthier provinces in China.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Lima is highlighted? Peru is richer than I thought.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Freudian posted:

Lima is highlighted? Peru is richer than I thought.

Yeah, I was surprised by that. The author of that map also noted that Santiago, Chile was even richer and produced $150 billion, but it was split almost exactly in half by the grid and as a result didn't show up. Wonder what other areas might have gotten that treatment.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

With Nigeria's economic stats having just been revised, I wonder if Lagos would show on that map.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

Augmented Dickey posted:

The Yellow King strikes again....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

I rectified a 1707 map of the Isle of Man using the New York Public Library program provided earlier, it was interesting. Some of my observations:

1) The map maker totally whiffed the Calf of Man. It got to the point where I had about 1/4 of my control points trying to define it and it still wouldn't line up.
2) Despite it being a relatively modern English map of a UK dependency that's literally closer than Ireland, they butchered the spelling. For instance Sauwble is Snaefel, the highest mountain on Man.
3) A lot of towns called St. X are now just called X. Not sure why on this, maybe someone who knows more about the area can say more.

The map warper is really cool overall.