Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Wow, Black Pits 2 is surprisingly a bitch. I went in with the default team, which did okay until the vampires who just surrounded me on all sides, hid, backstabbed my Sorceror to death and generally mobbed me with numbers. Probably going to start over again with an Inquisitor just to mitigate that crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

PTizzle posted:

If I wanted to play a warrior type who primarily used a staff, what class would work best for that in BGII? (I have the EE).

Fighter/Thief :getin:

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Staff of the Ram +6 back-stabs are a thing of pure beauty. Fighter/Thief is the way to go.

Foolie
Dec 28, 2013

Ilyich posted:

Staff of the Ram +6 back-stabs are a thing of pure beauty. Fighter/Thief is the way to go.

Also, Kensai/Mage with that staff. Granted Kensai/Mage any anything is fairly abusive, and for the most part you lean on the mage and not Kensai parts.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Factor_VIII posted:

Do thrown daggers have an advantage over thrown axes though? The Azuredge Axe +3 is available at the Copper Coronet and can theoretically be purchased right after a PC exits from Irenicus' dungeon. The same applies to the Rifthome Axe +3, which is found in the Adventurer's Mart.
I don't think Rifthome is found in the Adventurer's Mart, I've only ever seen it when doing Bodhi's tasks.

There's Hangard's Axe, which is similar but only +2.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Does anybody have general tips for the very last fight of IWD? I managed to get through pretty much all of the game but that one I just can't and it makes me want to punch my screen :(

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Furism posted:

Does anybody have general tips for the very last fight of IWD? I managed to get through pretty much all of the game but that one I just can't and it makes me want to punch my screen :(

Iirc the first thing that happens when that fight starts is Belhifet casts a dispel on you. As soon as that dispel has finished hitting you, pause and do some buffing. At the very least haste your party. Try to distract one or both of the iron golems with summons. Focus fire Belhifet down, or focus fire the golems down one at a time and then Belhifet.

Belhifet is the only one you have to kill to beat the fight so you don't even necessarily have to kill the golems, but it might help if you're having too much trouble tanking with the three of them beating you up.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Vigilance posted:

Iirc the first thing that happens when that fight starts is Belhifet casts a dispel on you. As soon as that dispel has finished hitting you, pause and do some buffing. At the very least haste your party. Try to distract one or both of the iron golems with summons. Focus fire Belhifet down, or focus fire the golems down one at a time and then Belhifet.

Belhifet is the only one you have to kill to beat the fight so you don't even necessarily have to kill the golems, but it might help if you're having too much trouble tanking with the three of them beating you up.
Also several cobble stones have dispel traps so if you have disarming it can be a big help to take care of those while your buffs are casting. There's not a whole lot armor class will do for you so focus on DPS boosting buffs, and any absorbance ones you may have.

IIRC iron golems fart cloudkill which kills low level summons so use undead. You can potentially kite whatever you aren't focusing down to save on some damage.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Anybody know of a Planescape character editor that works with Win 8.1?

edit: TormentHack works just fine if you remember to click run as administrator!

The Little Kielbasa fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 12, 2014

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

So I'm at what I presume is the end of Black Pits 2. I managed to poison Joker into turning into a mushroom, I have the mind swap scroll so I can yoink the Adamantite Golem, I preemptively killed the djinn. Then I have the Winged's gauntlet and feather which seems to do nothing, and the journals of the salamander mage and the Red Wizard, which would seem to indicate they hate each other but that also does nothing. Is there something I'm missing with those? It seems this fight is set up so you can sneaky deal with most everyone, but yeah.

The Winged especially is a giant pain in the rear end, since she full heals whenever she gets remotely hurt.

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 31, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Going through the Icewind Dale series again, trying to make a thematically consistent party. ( I got to some snakeman temple as a kid, somehow savescummed my way through it, then gave up at the end of the chapter. )

Currently thinking of going Fighter/Barb/Cleric/Sorcerer/Ranger/Rogue. Am I going to be setting myself up for any sort of longterm failure? Or should that party get me through the game alright?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Rookersh posted:

Going through the Icewind Dale series again, trying to make a thematically consistent party. ( I got to some snakeman temple as a kid, somehow savescummed my way through it, then gave up at the end of the chapter. )

Currently thinking of going Fighter/Barb/Cleric/Sorcerer/Ranger/Rogue. Am I going to be setting myself up for any sort of longterm failure? Or should that party get me through the game alright?

I haven't tried IWD2 yet, but half those classes don't exist in the first game if you're talking about playing through both. I had pretty good success with Paladin/FT/FM/Cleric/Druid/Bard though I'm a bit stuck on the last dungeon. All the AoE stuff the caster types can throw out simultaneously is obscene, though if I were starting over I'd probably skip the FM, who ended up being pretty underpowered by the endgame.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

I haven't tried IWD2 yet, but half those classes don't exist in the first game if you're talking about playing through both. I had pretty good success with Paladin/FT/FM/Cleric/Druid/Bard though I'm a bit stuck on the last dungeon. All the AoE stuff the caster types can throw out simultaneously is obscene, though if I were starting over I'd probably skip the FM, who ended up being pretty underpowered by the endgame.

Boo, just checked, and you are right, Sorc and Barb aren't in a game set in the Dales. Yet you can be a Paladin? Why would a Paladin be wandering around Icewind Dale. This is a cold place full of fishermen and sadness, not holy quests.

How is Druid? I never really liked them compared to Clerics, but I suppose a more nature focused character could work. Would leave me with only one real frontliner though, unless I make the Ranger a upclose style fighter.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

My team for IWD was Paladin Bard Mage Cleric Druid Fighter/Thief. In hindsight I'd probably drop the bard for another fighter given that the bard only quest resolutions were not that great.

Currently stuck half way through Dorns Deep and failing to muster the :effort: to go on.So your probably best off listening to the guy above me.

^^^ Druids have awesome crowd control which you really need and fairly decent damage spells. There a little light on the utility healing spells(Negative protection remove curse etc) though so you might want a cleric of some sort in addition to a druid.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 6, 2014

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Rookersh posted:

What are you planning to do with the Ranger? If you intend to make him a frontliner, just know that Ranger dual wielding isn't technically implemented in IWD1 (rather than able to hold an offhand weapon, a one-handed weapon with no shield gets 1 extra APR).

I'd personally consider doing some dual/multi- classing with that party. Your rogue, for instance, can easily dual into a Mage since you only need so many rogue skills in these games and the rest can be taken care of by spells and items. I'd really want at least another arcane caster, especially if my only pure arcane user is a Sorcerer, and a mix-in of a mage gives you added versatility.

If you have the expansion packs for IWD1, a Bard adds a lot of utility to the party. The first two or three chapters might be kind of dull with them but their songs will eventually provide the best free healing and excellent buffs. The convenience of the late game songs and their supplementary spells make them a great support member that's worthy of a party slot, IMHO.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

moot the hopple posted:

What are you planning to do with the Ranger? If you intend to make him a frontliner, just know that Ranger dual wielding isn't technically implemented in IWD1 (rather than able to hold an offhand weapon, a one-handed weapon with no shield gets 1 extra APR).

I'd personally consider doing some dual/multi- classing with that party. Your rogue, for instance, can easily dual into a Mage since you only need so many rogue skills in these games and the rest can be taken care of by spells and items. I'd really want at least another arcane caster, especially if my only pure arcane user is a Sorcerer, and a mix-in of a mage gives you added versatility.

If you have the expansion packs for IWD1, a Bard adds a lot of utility to the party. The first two or three chapters might be kind of dull with them but their songs will eventually provide the best free healing and excellent buffs. The convenience of the late game songs and their supplementary spells make them a great support member that's worthy of a party slot, IMHO.

Think I'll make him a 2handed frontliner. At least if that's still possible in IWD1.

Current thought is Fighter ( s&b ), Ranger ( 2h ), Thief ( bow ), Sorc, Cleric, Druid. Druid/Sorc should be able to cover magic needs, with the Thief UMDing scrolls I find if needbe. Might actually go Bard though for the basic traps/locks while also getting songs.

I'd rather not dual/multi if possible, I messed up my IWD2 game as a kid through trying that stuff out, and it really soured me on the idea. I understand it's a great way to solve stuff like this, but I just don't know the classes well enough to know when it'd be a good time to switch.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I liked my bard a lot in IWD. Pretty bad in combat, so I just kept her out of armor and either casting spells or singing. She was also the party face when dealing with merchants (18 CHA), kept me from having to burn through identify spells, and saved me from having to dump any of my thief's points into pickpocket for the half-dozen times it's actually useful.

If I were to start over I'd probably go M/T instead of F/T though, because he always lagged behind my paladin in melee combat, and taking off my plate armor multiple times per dungeon to disarm traps was incredibly annoying.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Rookersh posted:

Boo, just checked, and you are right, Sorc and Barb aren't in a game set in the Dales. Yet you can be a Paladin?

PHB classes only so it's not exactly a conspiracy. Also sorcerers weren't invented.

no thanks
Jun 18, 2008
IWD is 2e, hence no barbarians or sorcerers. There is no Use Magic Device, and bards can only pick pockets - they don't have access to other thief skills.

A pure class thief isn't really necessary, you may want to consider a dualing once you've got a decent Find Traps score.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Barbarians have been in since at least 1e AD&D. 2e gave them an entire book to themselves. I mean, alright, 2e gave books to a load of poo poo that didn't need it but still.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I dunno if my game bugged out or what but the most hilarious thing just happened. I was fighting that mage and those two mustard jellies in that zone outside the Nashkel mines and it was raining out and suddenly lighting started striking constantly. It hit Viconia and nearly killed her, hit the mage and nearly killed him, hit my monk I think once, then it hit each of the jellies like 1-2 times each and I guess did damage to them even though they have like 90% magic resistance or whatever. The lightning strikes helped me easily finish the two jellies off.

All told I think there were like six lightning strikes. Some hit my party, and some hit them. I consider it fortunate I survived since I play on insane so any time I take damage it's a big problem. Somehow those strikes didn't kill me though.

I've played bg zillions of times and I don't recall ever seeing this happen. Maybe it's a bgee bug. It was hilarious though.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Someone must have pissed off Talos.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Beamdog is doing a small beta test for the next BGEE patch, if anyone here feels like helping out. You need to have bought the game directly from them to access the beta though.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Zilkin posted:

Beamdog is doing a small beta test for the next BGEE patch, if anyone here feels like helping out. You need to have bought the game directly from them to access the beta though.

Anything interesting in that patch? Looks like the changelogs are just their most recent builds so hard to go through and see everything.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

epitasis posted:

Anything interesting in that patch? Looks like the changelogs are just their most recent builds so hard to go through and see everything.

There are some nice features in the patch. Eg. when browsing spells in stores if you have your mage selected, the spells she already knows are highlighted in green. The same also works for scrolls already in your inventory. May not sound like much, but it's actually really helpful.

The thing you will almost immediately notice though is this:

Those ability/spell icons appear for 0.5 seconds when order your dudes to do something. They are incredibly small though, and unless you zoomed in like in that screenshot it's very hard to actually see what icon it is.

Also this is mainly for the touch devices, but it can also used in the PC version:

In addition there few other small useability improvements, buff that brings shadowdancers to same lvl they are in BG2EE, and fixes to mainly rather obscure BGEE bugs.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I have a problem with IWD and I hope someone can help me.

I recently upgraded to Win 8.1 and now whenever I start IWD with 3D acceleration on, the game is occupying only a small window, and not the whole screen no matter the resolution. It plays normally in fullscreen when I untick 3D acceleration from config, but then I have that ugly fog of war artifacts. Starting the game in other compatibility modes doesn't help.

Does anyone know the solution?

EDIT: Oh yeah, it's GOG version.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
First time playing the Black Pits 2: Gladiators of Thay of BG2:EE. So far it has been easy, only bought basic equipment with the initial money and the daystar sword for the vampire fight (totally unnecessary), the only other magic equipment I got was asking the fans to give me shinnies. You're so ludicrously over-leveled for most fights.

Just finished the match with the lich and her golems and it turned out to be quite annoying and a massive clusterfuck, didn't remember how tough the golems were and the entire field got covered in magical poo poo, so it was pretty much impossible to track what was going on and my entire team died, except one character. I wasn't in the mood to reload and try it again in a legitimate way, luckily the survivor was the sorceror, so cheese happened.

I thought this exploit was fixed in the EE.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 13, 2014

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
So, here I am, about to play through Baldur's Gate 2 with the Enhanced Edition. I am hoping that this will be the first time I don't give in to the temptation to open up Shadowkeeper and make CHARNAME a demigod after I get screwed by random chance or general fuckery. Having not played BG2 in several years, I've found it interesting which opinions of mine have changed and which haven't. For example, Aerie still grates on me and Minsc somehow still remains endearing even though he should, by all rights, be insufferable.

The character I've seen the most of a turn around in opinion on is Jaheira, surprisingly enough. When I played this years ago, I remember Jaheira as a pretty condescending woman who didn't do much but be the mother of the group and nitpick. Now? Now it's clear that, sure, she's haughty and condescending, but she's not coping at all with the death of Khalid. And how cool is it that there is/was a husband and wife team helping Gorion's ward out? You wouldn't see that in today's CRPGs. Even so, the romance path still weirds me out a bit with Jaheira because I always saw CHARNAME (and Imoen) seeing Khalid and Jaheira as fairly parental figures, especially because Jaheira is fairly overbearing. Assuming that BG1 begins with Imoen and CHARNAME as young adults or late teens, Khalid and Jaheira must be at least a few years older due to their marriage.

Of course, it's unfair to level the weird romance path criticism at Jaheira alone. In BG2, they are all weird. In fact, the healthiest one is probably with Viconia of all people!

There's a lot of things I adore about BG2. I like how it establishes a relationship between CHARNAME, Imoen, Jaheira, Minsc, Khalid and Dynaheir. However, this is also a bit of a flaw. Even with so many characters in BG2, I can't bring myself to break up the canon BG1 group simply because of the circumstances they find themselves in at the start of the game. It'd be pretty rough if, when reaching the surface, CHARNAME kicked them all out and went off by himself. Because of this, my party always tends to be CHARNAME, Minsc, Jaheira, Yoshimo, Aerie and Viconia. Why? Because the first two are old friends who have literally no one else, Yoshimo assists you with breaking out of the dungeon and is generally an honorable and pleasant individual (and the Geas subplot), Aerie is one of the first people you probably meet and, y'know, can't really stay in that circus her whole life (and Minsc takes her as his new witch) and Viconia obviously travelled with the group at some point given how Jaheira refers to her. Yoshimo, eventually, gets swapped out for Imoen.

So, all these other characters? I never really use them. I might swap them in and out to do a quest or two but I don't keep them for prolonged periods. I'm sure there's some characters, like Cernd, who I've never used at all. You can kind of see why Bioware might've cut their cast lists shorter and basically eliminated the social networks within their party members. Imagine how conflicted I felt when I saw, what, four new NPCs in the EE?

I really like how the first real act is about getting gold. It encourages you to go out there and explore and even to possibly test your morals to acquire gold faster. I like how there's banter and romance that just pops up as you're walking through the countryside. The game is very, very good at making you like and enjoy the characters and seeing them as friends for CHARNAME. This, of course, really helps with making the final decision feel as if it has impact.

The combat, however, is still the worst part. The interface, even with many EE bits and pieces, isn't great either. Even so, BG2, it seems, will remain one of my favourite games.

Big Bottom
Dec 26, 2007

Behind you
There's some kind of countdown going on at the BG:EE site...is something exciting going to happen?

http://www.baldursgate.com/

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Big Bottom posted:

There's some kind of countdown going on at the BG:EE site...is something exciting going to happen?

http://www.baldursgate.com/

They specifically worked on the remakes in order to eventually make Baldur's Gate 3, so no real surprise if it turns out to be an announcement for that.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

a medical mystery posted:

They specifically worked on the remakes in order to eventually make Baldur's Gate 3, so no real surprise if it turns out to be an announcement for that.

I thought that it might be the countdown to the release of the patch that they've been promising forever, but that hardly seems timer-worthy.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I'm pretty sure it's the Android version release, as they've been doing beta's for a while now.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
There was a Linux version in the works, as well.

Deranged M
Nov 14, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

Yoshimo assists you with breaking out of the dungeon and is generally an honorable and pleasant individual (and the Geas subplot),
Yoshimo, eventually, gets swapped out for Imoen.

I am currently in chapter 2 and so far I kinda like Yoshimo. Even though he doesn't seem to be really useful character. Always ends up getting beat really badly even in the smallest encounters. I haven't played bg2 in years so it basically feels like I'm playing it for first time and so far I think I made a mistake choosing wizard as my char. I always have at least 3 spellcasters in my group and combat kinda gets same repetitive. With all those multi class characters in my group I think I'm gonna stick with just one class with my char.

Milky Moor posted:

So, all these other characters? I never really use them. I might swap them in and out to do a quest or two but I don't keep them for prolonged periods.

That's what I plan on doing in this walk through also. I reload only if my character dies ( or some glitch and misclik happens ) so I guess I'll lose some of them along the way.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Milky Moor posted:

I am hoping that this will be the first time I don't give in to the temptation to open up Shadowkeeper and make CHARNAME a demigod after I get screwed by random chance or general fuckery [...] The combat, however, is still the worst part.

These two things are related :v:

(And it's not because the combat is random)

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Samopsa posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the Android version release, as they've been doing beta's for a while now.

It's most likely either that, or officially revealing the DLC they've been working on.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Deranged M posted:

I am currently in chapter 2 and so far I kinda like Yoshimo. Even though he doesn't seem to be really useful character. Always ends up getting beat really badly even in the smallest encounters. I haven't played bg2 in years so it basically feels like I'm playing it for first time and so far I think I made a mistake choosing wizard as my char. I always have at least 3 spellcasters in my group and combat kinda gets same repetitive. With all those multi class characters in my group I think I'm gonna stick with just one class with my char.

When using Yoshimo take advantage of his traps, being a Bounty Hunter they're very strong.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

When using Yoshimo take advantage of his traps, being a Bounty Hunter they're very strong.

Yoshimo owns. BH is a very strong single class.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

The countdown was in fact to the release of BGEE for Android, in case anyone was wondering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deranged M
Nov 14, 2012

Yeah, I keep forgetting about that. Thanks for reminding!