Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Feed Me A Cat posted:

I've put 91 hours into the game already and maybe 5 hours of that is building stuff on the goon server, the rest was flying around the galaxies being a space rear end in a top hat. Not sure how you can say there's so little to do unless you just gave up.

Because you're fine doing the sandbox stuff. I'm not. I want to explore, but there's no reason to and I had to progress to see the other biomes before the patch.

When you realise that all the planets are essentially the same and if you lose against a boss (the only way to get to see new stuff) you have to entirely rebuild it, it's easy to just go "Okay I'm done".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If you're rushing through the bosses you're missing the actual point of continuing to play, which is to collect all the hats.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

If you're rushing through the bosses you're missing the actual point of continuing to play, which is to collect all the hats.

And musical instruments! :banjo:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I built a gigantic meat-block cock with 'brains' for the tip.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Motherfucker posted:

I built a gigantic meat-block cock with 'brains' for the tip.

As self-portraits go, probably not the most innovative.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

WarpedNaba meagerly mocks Motherfucker mega block-cock, cranial encased contents of crass phallus construction mitigates impractical put-downs and powerless phrases with might of mirth and presence of penis.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Taear posted:

I want to explore, but there's no reason to

Ah, here's your problem. You want to explore, but don't actually like exploring. "What's in it for me," you say, when asked if you want to find a planet made out of meat with penguins made out of bloody gobbets of flesh.

Starbound will eventually have a bunch of poo poo, but right now "exploring content" (or "content exploring") is a major part of what there is to do, and I'm pretty sure it'll remain a major part of it even after the game is fully complete. If you're only exploring for goods and resources, that's hardly exploring at all.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wish there was an easier way to return from the depths of the planet back to your ship because right now it's just easier to walk around the surface of the planet, collect everything that's easy to collect and then just fly to another planet.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Destroy the back wall and warp out?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Potsticker posted:

Only works down to a certain depth, about 1/3 down if not less.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Potsticker posted:

You can do that!?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Potsticker posted:

Go too far down and you can't.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I guess I've never been down far enough that it doesn't, then.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I wish there was an easier way to return from the depths of the planet back to your ship because right now it's just easier to walk around the surface of the planet, collect everything that's easy to collect and then just fly to another planet.

I usually just dig down to the planet core then save and quit which teleports you back to your ship. Digging can be worth it with all the underground biomes.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Jack Trades posted:

When I'm gathering ores to tier up, I usually dig down to the lowest level where a back wall hole will still provide daylight, and then circle the planet making a tunnel at that depth with holes for light, either walling in with a chair or teleporting home when it gets dark.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Just log out and you'll be on your ship when you log back in

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
If you use the Planetside Teleporters mod you can basically just dig as far as you want, place a teleporter that will let you beam back up to the surface (with coordinates you have created earlier), then place another teleporter on the surface that lets you port back down where you were. Also works great for creating checkpoints along the surface of huge planets.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Spaceship-debris rain :haw:
First time I saw it, latest unstable version, things went boom, trails of smoke for larger and flammable parts

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

John Lee posted:

Ah, here's your problem. You want to explore, but don't actually like exploring. "What's in it for me," you say, when asked if you want to find a planet made out of meat with penguins made out of bloody gobbets of flesh.

Starbound will eventually have a bunch of poo poo, but right now "exploring content" (or "content exploring") is a major part of what there is to do,
:rolleyes:

Worldgen and creatures/settlements are pretty monotonous at the moment. Asteroids for example spawn terrestrial mobs that fall to their deaths.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jackard posted:

:rolleyes:

Worldgen and creatures/settlements are pretty monotonous at the moment. Asteroids for example spawn terrestrial mobs that fall to their deaths.

Do asteroids still spawn you directly to your death on the bottom border sometimes? It was that, more than the constant magmarock asteroids taking forever to diamond drill through and constantly spawning wind gust spam enemies, made me stop going to asteroids.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Guys, could someone puh-leeze tell me what this game has for me, someone who isn't at all interested in the core point of this game?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

mutata posted:

Guys, could someone puh-leeze tell me what this game has for me, someone who isn't at all interested in the core point of this game?
Nothing yet, but if you wait until it's feature-complete, it's supposed to have a full, mission objective-oriented story about being a space rebel.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

John Lee posted:

Starbound will eventually have a bunch of poo poo, but right now "exploring content" (or "content exploring") is a major part of what there is to do, and I'm pretty sure it'll remain a major part of it even after the game is fully complete. If you're only exploring for goods and resources, that's hardly exploring at all.

That's hardly fair - merely finding weird planets and all is neat and all but you quickly see all the tilesets there are to see, maybe with some color swaps. Some people like to actually find places, and things, and things to do on those planets. Not all exploration is visual, some of it involves interacting with the things you're exploring and that's what some people want. For me, 'exploring' is not just finding a new place, but finding some new toy to play with in that place, or some new challenge or thing to accomplish. As it is, you find the meat planet, walk around for a few minutes, and go 'neat' since there's nothing to do there if you're not one of the people talented at building huge cool things out of weird blocks.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Wolpertinger posted:

That's hardly fair - merely finding weird planets and all is neat and all but you quickly see all the tilesets there are to see, maybe with some color swaps. Some people like to actually find places, and things, and things to do on those planets. Not all exploration is visual, some of it involves interacting with the things you're exploring and that's what some people want. For me, 'exploring' is not just finding a new place, but finding some new toy to play with in that place, or some new challenge or thing to accomplish. As it is, you find the meat planet, walk around for a few minutes, and go 'neat' since there's nothing to do there if you're not one of the people talented at building huge cool things out of weird blocks.

Yeah, I once made a similar analogy to a friend about different outlooks on this sort of thing. Imagine you're out walking in the woods and you find a brightly-painted toaster just lying around on the ground. If you're like my friend, you would go "oh my God a random-rear end toaster someone left here that's so cool" and take it home and you have a cool treasure to show off. If you're like me, you have pretty much the same reaction except that somewhere in there, there's a stage where you get really mad because there's a story to this toaster and you're never going to know it. Some people like to find cool poo poo and some people want to find out more about that cool poo poo.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Granted, both reasonable points. But if you're finding no joy at all in the exploration, you're missing out what I believe the devs intended to be an engaging part of the game. If you don't find it engaging and want other things, fine. You're not 'playing wrong' or anything silly like that. But that stuff is a major part of what there is right now. An especially strict progression would be, and this part is my opinion, to the detriment of the game.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

John Lee posted:

Granted, both reasonable points. But if you're finding no joy at all in the exploration, you're missing out what I believe the devs intended to be an engaging part of the game. If you don't find it engaging and want other things, fine. You're not 'playing wrong' or anything silly like that. But that stuff is a major part of what there is right now. An especially strict progression would be, and this part is my opinion, to the detriment of the game.

I'm mostly just waiting for it to be more finished for that very reason before playing it again, I don't need a 'progression' per se, but being able to go a weird new biome and finding some new items and materials used to craft new stuff was a big part of the fun of terraria. Even for just weapons, it doesn't have to be an 'upgrade', for example, it could just be an entertaining new kind of weapon. All the mods people pump out certainly show that there can be huge variety even just there. And it doesn't even have to be a weapon - there's plenty of other things you could craft. Exploring can be engaging in and of itself, but it kind of feels empty without that additional interaction/reward - it's the journey without any destinations. It's killing the boss and getting no treasure.

Imagine if Morrowind/Skyrim, for example, got rid of all the items except for what you could buy in shops. It'd be missing something. You explore in those games not just to explore, but to find cool items/quests/whatever.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Apr 12, 2014

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

John Lee posted:

So on the one hand his not wanting to play the game your way is his "problem", but on the other hand nobody's playing wrong. Yes exploration is going to be one part of the game, and yes because it is an alpha there isn't a much to do while exploring except look at poo poo, but uh, so? That's pretty much just restating what people are complaining about. You don't seem to have made a point and this reads like backpedaling from talking without much to say.

People want things to explore when they explore, rather than walking around in empty fields for hours at a time. More at 11.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Dr. Buttass posted:

Yeah, I once made a similar analogy to a friend about different outlooks on this sort of thing. Imagine you're out walking in the woods and you find a brightly-painted toaster just lying around on the ground. If you're like my friend, you would go "oh my God a random-rear end toaster someone left here that's so cool" and take it home and you have a cool treasure to show off. If you're like me, you have pretty much the same reaction except that somewhere in there, there's a stage where you get really mad because there's a story to this toaster and you're never going to know it. Some people like to find cool poo poo and some people want to find out more about that cool poo poo.

The problem with the game, at least last I played it, is that there tends to be a whole lot of walking in the woods, and very little finding toasters.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

dog kisser posted:

Kinda seems like it, yeah. Even restricted to the Starbound subreddit almost every post is "you should include this feature" or "here are 20 ways the game needs to be improved or I'm getting a refund". Ugh. A game with a tremendous amount of creativity allowed and people are saying there's nothing to do.

I was of that mind set for a while, it seems more that people are over whelmed by choice in that they can do anything and they just don't realise it. I had a similar problem with minecraft, you have an infinite world to play with and can build anything I didn't know what to do so decided there wasn't anything to do.

I just love the charm of starbound, especially when you find little out of the ordinary things like abandoned mines, I tend to make up my own stories on how it came to be abandoned and stuff like that.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I've been sat here for 10 minutes trying to work out why I'm not getting on with Starbound v's other sandbox games and it's really really difficult.

I *think* what it is, is that the variation in actual gameplay is lacking, I mean in Minecraft I can think "right, in this playthrough I'm going to take over and protect a village, or build a massive castle or make a seabase" and in terraria I've done about 4 playthroughs doing things like focussing on magic or having my whole base be in hell or things like that. It's really hard to explain.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

The game is still in beta, after all. That being said, I would really like to see this beta move along a little faster than we're going now. We're still in phase 1, and it's been about 4 months since the game was put on steam. Every time I play, it still feels like the exact same thing and not a whole lot is getting done.

What happened to daily patches? Too busy rolling in all the money I bet.

nvm no cake fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 12, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

The Green Calx posted:

What happened to daily patches?

Change properties on the Steam loader to enter unstable and that'll be close to it. Internal private betas are daily for sure though.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The Green Calx posted:

The game is still in beta, after all. That being said, I would really like to see this beta move along a little faster than we're going now. We're still in phase 1, and it's been about 4 months since the game was put on steam. Every time I play, it still feels like the exact same thing and not a whole lot is getting done.

What happened to daily patches? Too busy rolling in all the money I bet.

The fundamental game probably is not going to change all that much between now and the "final" version if that is what you are expecting. Each patch adds a bunch of new items to find to use or build with, places you can run into and creatures to eat you. Like MrLonghair said you can opt in to the rapid patches if you want but expect some instability.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I haven't really had this installed since month one, so here are my concerns behind reinstalling:
1.) What game mechanics have been added/changed now from month one?
2.) What are the recommended mods if you play with them that are not just "add a new race/gun". Are there any that affect the progression path of the game? Is there a Starbound version of hexxit or tekkit?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Hand mining is for suckers.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This changes everything. :stare:

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Rita Repulsa posted:

I haven't really had this installed since month one, so here are my concerns behind reinstalling:
1.) What game mechanics have been added/changed now from month one?
2.) What are the recommended mods if you play with them that are not just "add a new race/gun". Are there any that affect the progression path of the game? Is there a Starbound version of hexxit or tekkit?

dog kissers peglaci mod, while it does fall into the category of 'add a new race/20 odd guns' also does a bunch of other cool stuff, like the thing he just posted, plus different quests, etc.

There are mods that add different dungeons/villages but not an awful lot of them, probably because the dungeon editor is not the easiest editor to use.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

CJacobs posted:

This changes everything. :stare:

And it doesn't have the 'destroy the background!' power of Des' Mining Laser Mod.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

I should ask, is that supposed to be the pulse cannon from Raptor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Next week I've got a fair amount of spare time. If you'd like me to voice a mod pro bono, just let me know.

• Locked thread