Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

General Wiggles posted:

Pop-up headlights :swoon:

I should go out to the garage and make a proper 928 headlight gif :effort:
and the headlight buckets are removed while I troubleshoot an electrical issue...:argh: 928 electronics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
I love pop-ups.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

NitroSpazzz posted:

I should go out to the garage and make a proper 928 headlight gif :effort:
and the headlight buckets are removed while I troubleshoot an electrical issue...:argh: 928 electronics

This looks like a surprised snail.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

VikingSkull posted:

Swamp Rat 37

6 motor, 2,000hp in the batteries. Yes, it's electric.

Plan is to get Big Daddy the first over 200mph in the 1/4 in an electric car.

Awhile back, but :drat:

Swamp Rat 30 is still one of my all time favorite race cars.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

everyone posted:

popup gifs

All I hear when I see these is the RCR guy grunting "headlights go up, headlights go down, headlights go up, headlights go down..."

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

IOwnCalculus posted:

All I hear when I see these is the RCR guy grunting "headlights go up, headlights go down, headlights go up, headlights go down..."
UPDOWNUPDOWNUPDOWN

Would post a popup headlights gif, but it's in the bodyshop getting a new driver's side sill sorted out. :(

On the plus side, I did get to have a look at some 911s at the showroom...

I am so very, very sold on the 991 911. I would have taken more pictures, but they sorted me out with my parts in short order and I had to move sharpish to get the car and parts dropped off at the body shop then get to work. Also in the showroom was a Boxter S and an absolutely gorgeous 991 Targa.

For the record, the inner sill part for a Porsche 944 costs less than a set of four Porsche arty farty espresso cups.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
From Top Gear:

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Any of you guys watch Dirt Every Day?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Boomerjinks posted:

Roadkill is infecting the rest of Motor Trend

it owns

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Boomerjinks posted:

I don't need this extra kidney. poo poo, well, I'll drink a bit less. I can't sell a nut or I won't actually drive it. Want my left eye? I swear that you'll get used to the astigmatism.

wigbot v2.0
Oct 10, 2008

Hales

Tactical Bonnet posted:

I love pop-ups.

Woah, I know the dude who owns this... Did not expect it to appear seeing as it lives in deepest darkest Wales..

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Kinda concerned that it might have the structural rigidity of a damp fag packet though. Those are unibody, right?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

stump posted:

Kinda concerned that it might have the structural rigidity of a damp fag packet though. Those are unibody, right?

Seems kinda dumb seeing as vw make proper dropside vans anyway.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Boomerjinks posted:

Speaking of limp I have to wonder how much torsional rigidity that spindly 20' steering column has.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

smelly cabin filter posted:

Seems kinda dumb seeing as vw make proper dropside vans anyway.

I totally forgot you could get t4 pickups from
The factory, they aren't anywhere near as common as the vans in the UK.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSk7QS2xfwg

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yenko...Corvair?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rhyno posted:

Yenko...Corvair?

The Stinger. The first car sold with Don Yenko's name on it. The Camaros came later.

:getin:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is that the one with the insane blow-through carby turbo setup?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrYenko posted:

The Stinger. The first car sold with Don Yenko's name on it. The Camaros came later.

:getin:

I'd never heard of it. It was a full restoration with updated interior, wish I'd thought to take some pics of the inside.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Is that the one with the insane blow-through carby turbo setup?

All the Corvair Turbos where blow-through.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

wigbot v2.0 posted:

Woah, I know the dude who owns this... Did not expect it to appear seeing as it lives in deepest darkest Wales..

I found it in a GIS for "miata popup headlight gif."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

All the Corvair Turbos where blow-through.

Maybe I'll rephrase that to: was that the one that had the turbo?

I didn't realise 'factory' turbo corvairs were a thing, those cars are an unsafe-at-any-speed mystery to me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

I didn't realise 'factory' turbo corvairs were a thing, those cars are an unsafe-at-any-speed mystery to me.

GM themselves did a few full-on factory turbo Corvairs (on the Corsa), not just Don Yenko.

http://www.corvaircorsa.com/turbo.html

quote:

In 1962 the Corvair's normally aspirated base engine developed 80 horsepower, or 84 when fitted with the optional "Powerglide" automatic transmission. When the turbocharged Corvair Spyder was introduced it had 150 horsepower, or almost double the power out of the same displacement. This improved performance significantly.

I'd love to see a Corvair thread because they are amazing but I just don't know enough about them to do one.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Slavvy posted:

Oh yes, it was a factory option from 1962 with 150hp, 1965 was the Corsa version that bumped output to 180 (and switched from swing axle suspension to proper IRS). In a car roughly the weight of an NB Miata. In 1965.

The Stinger had varying output, but a few had up to 240hp. :getin:

Anyway, it's a rear-engined car with (at first) swing axles. No more dangerous than a Beetle or Porsche 356, as long as you maintained the factory tire pressures, roughly 20F-30R. People put the same pressure all around and that's how they got into oversteer trouble. Same tendency as any Porsche, not a design flaw, just a driving dynamic the average driver wasn't prepared to deal with. The car was't unsafe, American driver training was (and still is).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The real problem with swing axles (from any manufacturer) is that they can do this:

They were a risky idea on any car, I just think GM made the best target due to their scale.

That said, the later ones went to a proper IRS, and to me look drat good on a track.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I'm 32 and I want a Monza Corvair. They're very sexy.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
The lack of ventilation on the front confuses me.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

The Corvair was rear-engined. It still kind of wigs me out.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah, the fact that GM Chevy was building a rear-engine car with a turbocharged, air-cooled flat-six (with IRS in some cases) in the 60s is pretty mind-blowing no matter how long you've known it.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 13, 2014

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Q_res posted:

Yeah, the fact that GM Chevy was building a rear-engine car with a turbocharged flat-six (with IRS in some cases) in the 60s is pretty mind-blowing no matter how long you've known it.

You forgot to add "air cooled."

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yes, yes I did. That oversight has been corrected.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We had a Cars & Coffee & Chicken event today at a Quaker Steak & Lube. Pretty great turnout.

http://imgur.com/a/j3KxS

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Can't embed because it's on facebook, someone want to rehost it? https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=511140508976606

Cliffs: guy lighting a campfire with fireballs from a hotrod's exhaust

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Rhyno posted:

We had a Cars & Coffee & Chicken event today at a Quaker Steak & Lube. Pretty great turnout.

http://imgur.com/a/j3KxS

Not gonna lie, I love the custom hood with the angry eye effect on that black 300C. Not really crazy about the green rings, but man, it looks pretty sinister otherwise.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

T1g4h posted:

Not gonna lie, I love the custom hood with the angry eye effect on that black 300C. Not really crazy about the green rings, but man, it looks pretty sinister otherwise.

They were really cool dudes, and that car sounded incredible.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

T1g4h posted:

That panel gap, though. :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MetaJew posted:

That panel gap, though. :(

He hand built that grill. He had build pictures and everything on his phone, those are machined aluminum blades.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

He hand built that grill. He had build pictures and everything on his phone, those are machined aluminum blades.

Perfect for slicing and dicing troublesome pedestrians!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You Am I posted:

Perfect for slicing and dicing troublesome pedestrians!

Pretty much what I was thinking but I kept my mouth shut.