Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
I hate not being able to find enough reference shots when trying to make a new costume. Just had to spend 20 mins on Hulu grabbing screen shots to have enough to even begin attempting to craft any armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

fallin1 posted:

I hate not being able to find enough reference shots when trying to make a new costume. Just had to spend 20 mins on Hulu grabbing screen shots to have enough to even begin attempting to craft any armor.

I love having action figures and/or minis of the costume for just that reason. I can still sing the music by heart from the character edit screen in Soul Calibur 4 from when we did that group 2 years ago. :gonk: My living room looks kind of like a crazed anime fan lives here right now because my husband is making Valkyria Chronicles armor for a group we're doing and there's reference figurines all over.
I actually did the patches we need for our squad for that, first time I've used my work's big embroidery machines, pretty happy with how they came out:

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Well I started on my Blade Regalia Secret Reveled from Kill La Kill tonight. Not too horrible of a job for never crafted any piece of armor before.

Waiting on Amazon now so I can get that 50 pack of craft foam in to finish off the arm pieces.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

10 Beers posted:

2 questions:

1. Where do you live that the only dremel you can find is $130?

2. I'm sure you've mentioned it, but I can't find it, what is your costume of?

I'm in Seoul-decent art supply shops are uncommon, and hardware stores hard to find. The only dremel that was being sold at the only decent art store within an hour of me was the full kit, with a dozen additions and doodads that I don't need. I can find them online for much cheaper, though. But anyway, I bought a proper pair of piano write cutters for like $10 that go through the wire like butter, so I think I came out ahead there. I'll get a dremel eventually, but for now i'm alright with the tools i've got

And it's Artorias, from Dark Souls (post-abyss)

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know this is lame, but I really need ideas for what Im going to do. I really really want to get into cosplaying mostly for the experience making the costume. Never sewn or anything, but my mom could teach me. She also does leatherwork. I work with metal and hydraulics and we have a lot of waste, so I think I might be able to make something awesome.
That said, im 6'8 around 350lbs, healthy muscle behind fat. Ive thought about doing Sabertooth, which would be fairly simple. Back up plan is Jubilee which would be extremely easy. My left arm is covered in tats so preferably need that covered unless applicable, and i dont really watch anime so thats out. Please help.
Want to do something for Comic-Con in November.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
Does anyone know where I can get a pattern for xena's dress? Or a pattern for a dress that looks like xena's? The short is easy but I can't find anything that looks like the bodice or really most of the top part, and I'm no good with making a dress pattern from reference shots.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

jimcunningham posted:

I know this is lame, but I really need ideas for what Im going to do. I really really want to get into cosplaying mostly for the experience making the costume. Never sewn or anything, but my mom could teach me. She also does leatherwork. I work with metal and hydraulics and we have a lot of waste, so I think I might be able to make something awesome.
That said, im 6'8 around 350lbs, healthy muscle behind fat. Ive thought about doing Sabertooth, which would be fairly simple. Back up plan is Jubilee which would be extremely easy. My left arm is covered in tats so preferably need that covered unless applicable, and i dont really watch anime so thats out. Please help.

definitely make use of your size. There are a ton of comic, film and TV characters who are similarly huge and you'd get a lot of attention just for being accurate in that arena even if the costume isn't the greatest. With leatherwork and metal skills, someone with a lot of armour might work well, maybe Gregor (the mountain) from Game of thrones.

The other comedy option is going as a cute tiny female character.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

jimcunningham posted:

Sheet metal? Large frame?

Super Mutant from Fallout. Tats will get covered with either green or yellow depending on which game, and you can have fun with it. Carry around a gore bag, make a shopping cart into a backpack, have a hunk of rebar with concrete stuck in the end as a melee weapon, traffic signs and hastily assembled sheet metal for armor, and a tire here and there for the gently caress of it.

And the worse then leatherwork is, the better. Super mutants aren't all that smart. Well, the East Coast ones anyway. Even the West Coast muties can be dumb.

If you want to go all out, http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Tabitha

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 7, 2014

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

May Contain Nuts posted:

Does anyone know where I can get a pattern for xena's dress? Or a pattern for a dress that looks like xena's? The short is easy but I can't find anything that looks like the bodice or really most of the top part, and I'm no good with making a dress pattern from reference shots.
Just a quick google search brings up this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/271435635774?lpid=82

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

jimcunningham posted:

How was this not the first thing that popped into your head?

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Soooo complicated

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

jimcunningham posted:

Soooo complicated

Alternately an Ork from Warhammer 40k. Costume is secondary to being belligerent, speaking in a horrible cockney accent, and calling everyone a git.

I still think the Super Mutant with the wig and sun dress would be a fun one.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im really leaning towards it.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Have any of you ever sharpie dyed a wig? I'm making Ibuki's wig from Dangan Ronpa (oh no I am one of those nerds I am literally the worst human being) and I was doing her funky colored bangs by hand coloring everything in with sharpie.

I colored in the pink and I'm rinsing it now and holy hell is it a slow process. The excess ink doesn't seem to want to come off unless I rub it for all it's worth anyway, but I'm afraid of the color transferring to my forehead when I wear the wig. Advice? Can I speed this up with wig shampoo, or is that a dumb idea?

Have a picture. This was before I started rinsing. (The hair in the middle is going to be blue, I'm not giving the wig a horn.)

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

Bean posted:

Have any of you ever sharpie dyed a wig? I'm making Ibuki's wig from Dangan Ronpa (oh no I am one of those nerds I am literally the worst human being) and I was doing her funky colored bangs by hand coloring everything in with sharpie.

I colored in the pink and I'm rinsing it now and holy hell is it a slow process. The excess ink doesn't seem to want to come off unless I rub it for all it's worth anyway, but I'm afraid of the color transferring to my forehead when I wear the wig. Advice? Can I speed this up with wig shampoo, or is that a dumb idea?

Have a picture. This was before I started rinsing. (The hair in the middle is going to be blue, I'm not giving the wig a horn.)

If you're rinsing the wig with cold water, and it's not coming off, then you should be in the clear. The only colour I've heard that is notorious for rubbing off on people is red. Also, if it's not hitting your costume, it'll be a-okay.

I'm not quite sure what technique you're using (seems like you're using the markers to colour it in?) but have you tried popping the top of the sharpie, cutting it open to get at the ink, then letting it sit with some rubbing alcohol (~70%)? This will get you a good dye you can paint with (maybe making the process go a little faster for you?). If you do go this way, lay it flat and leave everything to dry over night, then rinse with cold water until you don't get any run off. This way requires a couple of layers, though. You might want to just stick with the marker way, since you have such a small area, but maybe keep it in mind for next time.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
7thBatallion if you're still looking for packs parts, the GBfans store has almost all the greeblies, ThrowingChicken (Chase Black) makes AMAZING gun kits, V330 Creations (Vinny) makes great aluminum parts and shells, and Crix (Kris) makes resin casts of Vinny's aluminum parts.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Boomerjinks posted:

7thBatallion if you're still looking for packs parts, the GBfans store has almost all the greeblies, ThrowingChicken (Chase Black) makes AMAZING gun kits, V330 Creations (Vinny) makes great aluminum parts and shells, and Crix (Kris) makes resin casts of Vinny's aluminum parts.

It's been put off til next year. I'm instead resurrecting an old fallout costume.

Agamembar
Jan 21, 2005

A USS Enterprise appears.
USS Enterprise uses 'Phaser Barrage'.
Its super effective.
So I'm getting near to the molding part of my Eva Foam Mass effect build and while I have been Happy enough with the grip pattern on the foam I wonder it if looks too gripy, the other side is just smooth and the Pasti-kote paint I was going to use will seal that while coloring it but I have kinda got used to the pattered side.

Opinions?

The lines aren't deep enough that I can't get away doing them on the other side but I think it looks alright as texture option from the game as spin.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Agamembar posted:

So I'm getting near to the molding part of my Eva Foam Mass effect build and while I have been Happy enough with the grip pattern on the foam I wonder it if looks too gripy, the other side is just smooth and the Pasti-kote paint I was going to use will seal that while coloring it but I have kinda got used to the pattered side.

Opinions?

The lines aren't deep enough that I can't get away doing them on the other side but I think it looks alright as texture option from the game as spin.

Yeah, that's...pretty grippy, I will admit. No matter what you do that's always going to look like a cut-up foam mat thanks to the pattern. I'd say just bite the bullet and re-work it from the other side, it'll be a bit more work that I'm sure you're not eager to re-do, but it'll look much, much better in the end.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Coat the thing in a layer of 0.020" styrene.

Agamembar
Jan 21, 2005

A USS Enterprise appears.
USS Enterprise uses 'Phaser Barrage'.
Its super effective.

McKilligan posted:

Yeah, that's...pretty grippy, I will admit. No matter what you do that's always going to look like a cut-up foam mat thanks to the pattern. I'd say just bite the bullet and re-work it from the other side, it'll be a bit more work that I'm sure you're not eager to re-do, but it'll look much, much better in the end.

Luckily the lines I have done didn't take to long so it shouldn't and I got all that practice in on the pre-sealed side. The paint I plan to use has a metallic tint to it so hopefully that will make it look less foamy.

Edit: and the results speak for themselves,

Looks far better, should've done that from the start.

Agamembar fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 12, 2014

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Agamembar posted:

Luckily the lines I have done didn't take to long so it shouldn't and I got all that practice in on the pre-sealed side. The paint I plan to use has a metallic tint to it so hopefully that will make it look less foamy.

Hell yeah! That's lookin' much better, can't wait to see more progress.

Speaking of progress - though most of the progress is a bit hard to see

I've spent probably over 20 hours this past week winding, cutting, and bending iron wire to make chain-mail, and I've still got a lot more to make - I want it to be just long enough to peek out from under the waist/thigh guard things, extending almost to the knees. I'll be making the finished edges look much more ragged and uneven, rather than the straight lines you see now. A conservative guess is at least another 10 hours of work. Wheeeeee. Also, drat that poo poo is heavy. I might need to rig a new belt-thingy that can handle the weight.

I've also made the shin guards , but of course they're obscured by the waist cloth - they aren't entirely finished yet anyway, I still have to extend them a bit and attach them to the knee, which I've yet to make.

I haven't even begun to really touch the fabric yet - The cloth over the waist/legs won't be as long as it is now, showing off more of the legs. My basic plan for how to handle the fabric is to cut it into roughly the right ragged shape with scissors, and then to weather the gently caress out of the edges by fraying it with sandpaper. Next will be to fade out sections with a spray-bottle and a 1-1 water/bleach solution. I want the fabric to look very weathered, frayed, and old. One problem I've noticed with alot of artorias costumes (not that there are many) is that they haven't done much with the cloth - it looks brand new. I want mine to look drat near ancient.
Once the fraying/bleaching is done, I'll stain the lower edges with a water/ink solution, possibly from a spray bottle, or maybe just spashed around a bit. Probably both! The lower sections of the cloth around the legs will be much darker than the cloak, almost black entirely.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 13, 2014

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

McKilligan posted:

Hell yeah! That's lookin' much better, can't wait to see more progress.

Speaking of progress - though most of the progress is a bit hard to see

I've spent probably over 20 hours this past week winding, cutting, and bending iron wire to make chain-mail, and I've still got a lot more to make - I want it to be just long enough to peek out from under the waist/thigh guard things, extending almost to the knees. I'll be making the finished edges look much more ragged and uneven, rather than the straight lines you see now. A conservative guess is at least another 10 hours of work. Wheeeeee. Also, drat that poo poo is heavy. I might need to rig a new belt-thingy that can handle the weight.

I've also made the shin guards , but of course they're obscured by the waist cloth - they aren't entirely finished yet anyway, I still have to extend them a bit and attach them to the knee, which I've yet to make.

I haven't even begun to really touch the fabric yet - The cloth over the waist/legs won't be as long as it is now, showing off more of the legs. My basic plan for how to handle the fabric is to cut it into roughly the right ragged shape with scissors, and then to weather the gently caress out of the edges by fraying it with sandpaper. Next will be to fade out sections with a spray-bottle and a 1-1 water/bleach solution. I want the fabric to look very weathered, frayed, and old. One problem I've noticed with alot of artorias costumes (not that there are many) is that they haven't done much with the cloth - it looks brand new. I want mine to look drat near ancient.
Once the fraying/bleaching is done, I'll stain the lower edges with a water/ink solution, possibly from a spray bottle, or maybe just spashed around a bit. Probably both! The lower sections of the cloth around the legs will be much darker than the cloak, almost black entirely.

Fantastic.

I'm sorry to continue fangirling out on you. It's probably to the creepy point. Your costume is looking great!

My move is done, so I hope to put more of my free time toward my own costume.

SusiePhone
Nov 11, 2008
This seems like the sort of thread where I can bitch about how much I hate embroidering on velvet.
I'm putting together a Raistlin costume, from Dragonlance. I'm in the UK, no-one has any idea what Dragonlance is, so I figured I'd share with you guys.
I've finished the staff, and I'm pretty pleased. Of course, I'd like to be able to use real brass for the claws on top, but without a forge... air drying clay it is. I've got step-by-step pictures on my Deviantart (click) , but here's a pic of the finished staff.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
nice

DAS is pretty annoying to work with though, and not very strong. If you do something like this again, I'd go for Milliput, it's a 2 part modelling putty, you can get it from model stores like Antics and some DIY shops as it's also used for repairs and plumbing. The yellow-grey is fine for most costume work, and it about £3 or so for a 4 oz pack (you'd have used about 1/4 of a pack or less for those claws). You can also work it with water and use new stuff on a cured base for additional detail. I see on your DA you use green stuff, this is similar but much much cheaper and handles a bit differently.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Jim, you might have the perfect build for a character called Fudo of the Mountain (Yama no Fudo) from Fist of the North Star. A little bit of foam work and some painting is all that you need to do.

Does anyone have experience with silver metallic paint? I need to remake the knife from Repo: The Genetic Opera, but silver spray paint obviously doesn't work. I heard there is silver laquer paint, but I don't know anything about it. The knife prop I made can be taken apart, and silver spray paint sticks to itself, and you can't use a laqeur or enamel on the paint or it turns horrid muddy gray. What I am worried about is if I use the laqeur based paint it will stick to itself when I assemble the prop or to me. Is it possible to coat these paints in enamel, or would it ruin the finish like with the spray paint?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

The Repo Man posted:

Jim, you might have the perfect build for a character called Fudo of the Mountain (Yama no Fudo) from Fist of the North Star. A little bit of foam work and some painting is all that you need to do.

Does anyone have experience with silver metallic paint? I need to remake the knife from Repo: The Genetic Opera, but silver spray paint obviously doesn't work. I heard there is silver laquer paint, but I don't know anything about it. The knife prop I made can be taken apart, and silver spray paint sticks to itself, and you can't use a laqeur or enamel on the paint or it turns horrid muddy gray. What I am worried about is if I use the laqeur based paint it will stick to itself when I assemble the prop or to me. Is it possible to coat these paints in enamel, or would it ruin the finish like with the spray paint?

Look up "alclad" metallic lacquer if you have an airbrush or can beg borrow or steal one. The finish can be amazing, and it's not sticky, though it will wear off with repeated handling. You base coat it with black spay paint then add a fine coat of the lacquer over the top, I'm not an expert but there should be guides floating around online.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Fatkraken posted:

Look up "alclad" metallic lacquer if you have an airbrush or can beg borrow or steal one. The finish can be amazing, and it's not sticky, though it will wear off with repeated handling. You base coat it with black spay paint then add a fine coat of the lacquer over the top, I'm not an expert but there should be guides floating around online.

Thanks! I know a few people "with" air brushes, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Typing on phones is hard...

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 14, 2014

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

SusiePhone posted:

This seems like the sort of thread where I can bitch about how much I hate embroidering on velvet.
I'm putting together a Raistlin costume, from Dragonlance. I'm in the UK, no-one has any idea what Dragonlance is, so I figured I'd share with you guys.
I've finished the staff, and I'm pretty pleased. Of course, I'd like to be able to use real brass for the claws on top, but without a forge... air drying clay it is. I've got step-by-step pictures on my Deviantart (click) , but here's a pic of the finished staff.

Yes.

Just don't do the bad Raistlin costume thing where you literally paint your skin metallic gold.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Spent today doing repairs and rehauls on my StarCraft space marine suit for C2E2 only to find out after the whole day that we accidentally grabbed and refitted 2 left legs, ugh. But also, I had a guy in SAMart cut vinyl squad numbers for the suits last year but they got lost in the batshit whirlwind of insanity right before GenCon and they never got put on. Then last week I found them in our bag of paints (of course! What an obvious place for them). So now my suit is properly tagged for the first time.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Anyone here have the skill to make a pip-boy watch that fits around a digital photo frame?

SusiePhone
Nov 11, 2008
Good call, I hadn't thought of that! I'll bear that in mind for the redux. There's a lot I'm not completely happy with.

Silhouette posted:

Just don't do the bad Raistlin costume thing where you literally paint your skin metallic gold.
Yeah, I've seen so many bad cosplays, I'm determined to do this the right way!

Mobius 1
Aug 29, 2004
Sierra Hotel!

Bean posted:

I have done both sharpie wig dyeing as well as FW ink dyeing and FW ink dyeing is so much easier and faster and cheaper, especially since its a bit easier to control the colors you want vs trying to find the right sharpie and enough of them to get the concentrate you want. http://arda-wigs.com/blogs/tutorials/6270626-how-to-dye-wigs-with-fw-ink

I've done segmented dyes with the fw ink(although any acrylic ink should work as I've also used higgins)and all I did was saran wrap the segments of the wig that I didn't want dyed green, dyed the majority of it green, let it dry, do a cold water rinse making sure none of it got inside the saran wrapped section, let that dry, put the green parts in a showercap/plastic wrap, then unwrap the segment I wanted pink and dyed it pink and repeated the process that I did for the green part of the wig. The great part is that once its dried and you go to rinse it or wash it after the initial separate rinses, the colors don't run or bleed into each other. This wig was white when I started.

Alternatively, if you just need streaks of color in the wig, why not just get those clip-on streaks and modify them/trim them down and clip them in or sew them into the wig?

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
So I am super happy now. I managed to fix my Daft Punk visor. Lots of sanding, then a coat of "Future Floor Finish" to make it way better for visibility. I almost screwed it up a second time trying to make it dark enough, but it's good now. :D

I won't be putting LEDs in it until I can actually replace the visor, though.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Made some more progress on the feet and mail today. All that's left on the construction front is just for me to make the knee areas, and to re-do the gauntlets (I'm not happy with my current pair - far too sloppy. Will make a much better set.) I'm not going to bother with the upper legs at all, they'll be covered by the blue waistcloth. I'm also planning to try and make the feet look as damaged, corroded and blackened as possible, a la post-abyss Artorias (which will be super-easy with the polyurethane resin).

As for the mail, I might add or tweak a few rings here and there to try and make it look a little more ragged, but the endless hours or winding, cutting, and bending the goddamn rings is OVER. You're looking at about 3 weeks, or at least 40 hours of work there. Truth be told I almost don't know what to do with most of my free time now. I'll probably replace the belt, as I weakened one section of it a little too much by accident and don't want it breaking on me. But other than a few very minor tweaks, c'est fini!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Agamembar posted:

Has that been difficult? I want to do an armor set, but I'm a lady and loving despise boobplate so I will probably end up doing one of the armors from 3 that gives the bonus to weapons (I guess that means I'm infiltrating instead of vanguarding :( ).

I'm going to be on a panel today at Salt Lake ComiCon FanX. SLCC was the largest opening of a Con, with something like 70k attending. We have pretty much the entire cast of TNG with the exception of Patrick Stewart and William Shatner will be hosting the panel with all the cast members. There's also a cosplay contest, a make-up contest and some other stuff going on. If you're looking for a con but don't have a ton of money, maybe look into ours. SLC is pretty cheap and a pass for all 3 days was only $60.

edit: announced today that Patrick Stewart will be here Saturday. Guess they really aren't loving around!

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 18, 2014

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Yay for pattern drafting!

I'm the worst, I've set aside all my other costume projects to start working on Jaeger pilot armor. My friend is trying to organize a Pacific Rim convention for November and I just really wanted to have armor to wear. I've already finished my cheap, lazy costume - just a white painter's suit covered in blue paint. I need to get some rubber boots for it, but otherwise it's done.

Can I just say, scale drawings help SO MUCH when you're making this kind of pattern!

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.

The Repo Man posted:

If you want a clear coat over silver metallic spray paint, floor wax does a loving wonderful job. It takes longer since you have to buff it on, but it won't react.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Dressed up at a con for the first time ever. I seriously underestimated the amount of people who would want pictures. I'll have to post some more pictures of my friend's sith armor, he made it all out of fiberglass cloth and resin.

http://i.imgur.com/airtoJh.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Anyone got tips on repainting those plastic severed fingers so they don't look like poo poo?