Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I wasn't trying to hide that I wanted to keep my unlimited minutes. Was just curious since a Verizon store did it for us the first time if such a thing was still an option.

drat, sorry for asking "bros ."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

AdmiralViscen posted:

The rep doesn't want to get in trouble for facilitating someone keeping unlimited data. If you want to circumvent the company's loss-of-unlimited policy just order the phone online where no one is responsible for it.

Weird. I've had the same rep help me do the "transfer an upgrade from my unlimited line, use it, then move the device" trick to keep my unlimited as well as adding a line, then juggling that device. He even said something to the effect of "oh, you're trying to keep your unlimited, I got ya covered" and jumped through a couple extra hoops to be certain it didn't gently caress it up.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Verizon started cracking down on reps who do it about a month or so ago.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

AdmiralViscen posted:

Yes they will
Standard practice is no they won't.

VZW Terms and Conditions posted:

CAN I TAKE MY WIRELESS PHONE NUMBER TO ANOTHER CARRIER?
You may be able to take, or "port", your wireless phone number to another carrier. If you port a number from us, we'll treat it as though you asked us to cancel your Service for that number. After the porting is completed, you won't be able to use our service for that number, but you'll remain responsible for all fees and charges through the end of that billing cycle, just like any other cancellation.
Unless you get clever and suspend without billing before you request your disconnect or port out. Please note suspending without billing will extend your contract so don't do it unless your contract is over. You should probably do this suspend on My Verizon or in the automated phone system because if you have a customer service person push the button for you it costs $15.

:themoreyouknow:

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

FordPRefectLL posted:

Verizon started cracking down on reps who do it about a month or so ago.

Yep. Call center managers have compliance reports on this now.

XIII posted:

Weird. I've had the same rep help me do the "transfer an upgrade from my unlimited line, use it, then move the device" trick to keep my unlimited as well as adding a line, then juggling that device. He even said something to the effect of "oh, you're trying to keep your unlimited, I got ya covered" and jumped through a couple extra hoops to be certain it didn't gently caress it up.

In customer service you get trained and coached to be the customer's advocate and suggest things that will benefit them as much as possible. If someone is on a plan that has too much voice, data or text and a less costly plan will fit their needs it must be offered. This makes all parties happy because even though you're paying less at least you're not going to loving Jitterbug.

This can create a problem where reps get a little too friendly and suggest things the Corporation does not want like sneaking around unlimited data going away or telling people to stop service and go prepaid because it might be cheaper.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Picked up an HTC One M8 three days ago, and after spending ~$15 on apps, it is the most customized phone I have ever owned. Nova Launcher Premium, Flatro Icons, Tasker , TeslaUnread Plugin, and Zooper Widget Pro make everything a matter of what you can conceive. I love a clean, slick, fast experience and I got what I wanted.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Speaking of porting numbers, we're going to be dumping a bunch of phones on our business plan, so a lot of employees will need to take their number to a new Verizon plan or a different carrier. When I "release" the number, does it cut off service to the phone then, or will it keep working till they go in and port the number to a new plan? We want to avoid any sort of loss of service in the transition period.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Verizon is now offering lowered plans for no contract phones:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/article/2014/04/more-everything-savings-coming.html

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
With purchasing phones off Amazon I know there is something about keeping the phone on the line that you purchased the phone on for 180 or so days or you will incur a fee. Is that with new lines added to a Family Plan where you can't instantly transfer the phone to an existing account? You can upgrade an existing line and transfer the phone to another line right away, right?

Basically, my sister-in-law wants a new phone. The S5 is $99 on Amazon. Her stepdad has an upgrade eligible as her mother used her upgrade earlier. He has a basic flip phone with no data. She can use his upgrade, temporarily add data, and when she gets the phone just add it to her line, right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

wa27 posted:

Speaking of porting numbers, we're going to be dumping a bunch of phones on our business plan, so a lot of employees will need to take their number to a new Verizon plan or a different carrier. When I "release" the number, does it cut off service to the phone then, or will it keep working till they go in and port the number to a new plan? We want to avoid any sort of loss of service in the transition period.

You have to port the number to the new thing then cancel the old one. If you cancel before, you lose the number.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

CancerStick posted:

With purchasing phones off Amazon I know there is something about keeping the phone on the line that you purchased the phone on for 180 or so days or you will incur a fee. Is that with new lines added to a Family Plan where you can't instantly transfer the phone to an existing account? You can upgrade an existing line and transfer the phone to another line right away, right?

Basically, my sister-in-law wants a new phone. The S5 is $99 on Amazon. Her stepdad has an upgrade eligible as her mother used her upgrade earlier. He has a basic flip phone with no data. She can use his upgrade, temporarily add data, and when she gets the phone just add it to her line, right?
I am pretty sure cancelling data on the line with the upgrade will (or at least can) trigger the Amazon early termination fee.

Ordering from Verizon directly doesn't give you the discount but they only trigger the early termination if you close the actual phone line, so you could cancel the data without a problem.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

THF13 posted:

I am pretty sure cancelling data on the line with the upgrade will (or at least can) trigger the Amazon early termination fee.

I added a line, grabbed a Moto X, activated it, then switched to a feature phone and cancelled the data. It's been a few weeks and I haven't had any issues or gotten hit with any weird bills. Did the same thing a few years ago without a problem.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

You have to port the number to the new thing then cancel the old one. If you cancel before, you lose the number.

Ah, thanks. Good to know!

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
My upgrade is due on the 17th so I popped into the Verizon store today to see if I could get my phone 2 days early since my current one is about to poo poo itself. The sales rep proceeded to tell me all about the wonders of EDGE. gently caress that I can wait two days.

What are my options if I plan on being out of the country often? I'm kind of thinking about going off contract to keep my unlimited data and I hear that's a good way to use your phone outside the US?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

roymorrison posted:

My upgrade is due on the 17th so I popped into the Verizon store today to see if I could get my phone 2 days early since my current one is about to poo poo itself. The sales rep proceeded to tell me all about the wonders of EDGE. gently caress that I can wait two days.

What are my options if I plan on being out of the country often? I'm kind of thinking about going off contract to keep my unlimited data and I hear that's a good way to use your phone outside the US?

Uhh if you're going out of the country you need a special plan for that from Verizon (assuming you don't just pick up a cheap Sim card from wherever you're going) and unlimited data almost certainly isn't offered on Verizons international plans...

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Can I swap my nano sim from my iPhone 5 to a Moto X and back without issue?

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Uhh if you're going out of the country you need a special plan for that from Verizon (assuming you don't just pick up a cheap Sim card from wherever you're going) and unlimited data almost certainly isn't offered on Verizons international plans...

I was planning on grabbing a sim wherever I'm at. I've been told that I need an off contract phone to do that? I don't really give a poo poo about data when I'm out and about, just calls.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

JayKay posted:

Can I swap my nano sim from my iPhone 5 to a Moto X and back without issue?

I think so, though keep in mind iMessage will keep routing iPhone messages to the iPhone if you have that turned on.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I swap all the time between my Maxx and an iPhone 5, depending upon what platform I'm going to be developing against at work that day. Works fine, but I don't use iMessage.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

roymorrison posted:

I was planning on grabbing a sim wherever I'm at. I've been told that I need an off contract phone to do that? I don't really give a poo poo about data when I'm out and about, just calls.

No one answered me when I asked the same question a few weeks ago. I have a Galaxy 4 and I'm still in contract. When I was in Costa Rica a few weeks ago I just bought a prepaid sim and popped it in my phone. The whole off contract thing was the old school way. Any newer phone will be unlocked for international use. Just make sure the cell bands are supported where you are traveling

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

I think so, though keep in mind iMessage will keep routing iPhone messages to the iPhone if you have that turned on.

kitten smoothie posted:

I swap all the time between my Maxx and an iPhone 5, depending upon what platform I'm going to be developing against at work that day. Works fine, but I don't use iMessage.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'm tempted to pick up a Moto X to scratch my phone itch and keep me tided over till the new iPhone drops. It would be nice if I could swap out SIM cards between the two without having to do the song and dance with VZW depending on what phone I wanted to use that day.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

One tip: assuming you're using the iPhone now, sign your Apple ID out of iMessage and Facetime, don't just turn the switch to "off."

Otherwise your phone number will still be associated with your Apple ID, and if an iPhone-haver attempts to send you a message it may still try to route over iMessage and not SMS.

If you have other iOS devices or a Mac with iMessage enabled, sign out of iMessage on those first, then sign out your iPhone.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Does anyone have a Moto G on Verizon? I know their 3G speed is pretty bad, but I have my doubts about how much life my Droid X has left in it. Is it at least decent?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

GWBBQ posted:

Does anyone have a Moto G on Verizon? I know their 3G speed is pretty bad, but I have my doubts about how much life my Droid X has left in it. Is it at least decent?
I think the Verizon version of the G is only for prepaid. I'm assuming you want to keep your unlimited data, so get a Moto X instead, which has LTE.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

kitten smoothie posted:

One tip: assuming you're using the iPhone now, sign your Apple ID out of iMessage and Facetime, don't just turn the switch to "off."

Otherwise your phone number will still be associated with your Apple ID, and if an iPhone-haver attempts to send you a message it may still try to route over iMessage and not SMS.

If you have other iOS devices or a Mac with iMessage enabled, sign out of iMessage on those first, then sign out your iPhone.
Actually, the fact that his phone number was at one point associated with an iMessage account is now forever cached on every iOS device that has ever messaged him. And it will just silently fail without the iMessage going through. Turning it off on his end won't help.
http://blog.benjaminste.in/post/75389520824/ios-holding-my-phone-number-hostage-the-worst-bug

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

td4guy posted:

Actually, the fact that his phone number was at one point associated with an iMessage account is now forever cached on every iOS device that has ever messaged him. And it will just silently fail without the iMessage going through. Turning it off on his end won't help.
http://blog.benjaminste.in/post/75389520824/ios-holding-my-phone-number-hostage-the-worst-bug

Has worked for myself and all of my friends? Works even better if the person you're talking to starts a new convo but in my experience you don't even have to always do that.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I think the Verizon version of the G is only for prepaid. I'm assuming you want to keep your unlimited data, so get a Moto X instead, which has LTE.
... and costs 4 times as much.

edit: got approved for Motorola credit with no interest for 12 months, I guess I'll be getting it now and paying if off over the next couple of months instead of saving up.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 17, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

GWBBQ posted:

This seems to vary from market to market; if I'm not pulling down large files 3G is tolerable for casual browsing and streaming, but others have reported 3G where they are is nearly useless. Maybe find a Verizon store nearby and see if they have a Moto G demo phone, or else jump on another device and disable LTE and give it a test drive.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

benisntfunny posted:

Has worked for myself and all of my friends? Works even better if the person you're talking to starts a new convo but in my experience you don't even have to always do that.

Same here. I signed my ID out of iMessage/Facetime on everything with a power button and an Apple logo on it then signed back into everything but the phone. They all no longer showed my phone number as an option to receive messages, and people with iPhones send me messages as SMS.

If someone had a conversation open with me using iMessage, sometimes the first message they sent after this would either fail or take longer to go through, but then it'd use SMS after that and then it was fine. And not everyone had that problem, either.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There have got to be VERY few places left in this country where Verizon 3G works out better than HSDPA on AT&T or T-Mobile. If that's the case where you live, by all means buy an EVDO only phone in 2014. Otherwise, the only people who should be using Verizon prepaid are flip-phone people. The plans for smartphones are an utter and complete joke until they include LTE.

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005

DangerZoneDelux posted:

No one answered me when I asked the same question a few weeks ago. I have a Galaxy 4 and I'm still in contract. When I was in Costa Rica a few weeks ago I just bought a prepaid sim and popped it in my phone. The whole off contract thing was the old school way. Any newer phone will be unlocked for international use. Just make sure the cell bands are supported where you are traveling

thanks dude

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

bull3964 posted:

There have got to be VERY few places left in this country where Verizon 3G works out better than HSDPA on AT&T or T-Mobile. If that's the case where you live, by all means buy an EVDO only phone in 2014. Otherwise, the only people who should be using Verizon prepaid are flip-phone people. The plans for smartphones are an utter and complete joke until they include LTE.
At work, Verizon is the only carrier that gets a signal inside unless you're standing near a window. I was thinking about getting the Moto G to hold me over until I got something better, but I can easily pay off a Moto X in a few months instead of saving up for one, so I ordered it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, the big thing to remember is EVDO development and rollout has halted, completely. Before the end of this year, the LTE footprint is going to be larger than the EVDO footprint and Verizon is going to start selling LTE only phones.

Verizon has some pretty huge marketing hurdles coming up soon where they are going to push their 100% LTE network (including starting to sell LTE non-smartphones) but then limiting all their prepaid options to 3G. They'll effectively be saying "Our prepaid smartphone customers are a 2nd class citizen to our postpaid dumbphone customers" which is a pretty bad position to take when the industry is trending toward pre-paid.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Nothing is precluding them from selling VoLTE Revere 3, Intensity 4 or Cosmos 4's for prepaid.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

SeaborneClink posted:

Nothing is precluding them from selling VoLTE Revere 3, Intensity 4 or Cosmos 4's for prepaid.

Yes, but that would be a shift in policy to allow LTE phones on prepaid. Also, once they open that pandora's box, there's no going back. Once they are 100% LTE, FCC policy restrictions kick in full force and they won't be able to prevent cheap pre-paid phones from being used on post-paid and vice-versa.

I'm halfway convinced the whole 3g only restriction on pre-paid at this point is to sidestep having to revamp their activation system.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, the big thing to remember is EVDO development and rollout has halted, completely. Before the end of this year, the LTE footprint is going to be larger than the EVDO footprint and Verizon is going to start selling LTE only phones.

Verizon has some pretty huge marketing hurdles coming up soon where they are going to push their 100% LTE network (including starting to sell LTE non-smartphones) but then limiting all their prepaid options to 3G. They'll effectively be saying "Our prepaid smartphone customers are a 2nd class citizen to our postpaid dumbphone customers" which is a pretty bad position to take when the industry is trending toward pre-paid.

Maybe wait until Verizon actually does something upsetting before getting upset about it. I dunno.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hoobajoo posted:

Maybe wait until Verizon actually does something upsetting before getting upset about it. I dunno.

Don't worry. The upsetting things Verizon has done are not in short supply.

None of that changes the fact that their smart phone prepaid is the worst joke in the industry right now.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

bull3964 posted:

:ohdear: VoLTE "Big" iPhone 6!?!?!? :ohdear:

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

Posting from my Moto X and it was just a simple sim swap as everyone said.

I did sign out of iMessage and Facetime before switching and it appears to have worked.

Edit: Back on the 5, again no issues, just swap sims. Only issue was those who didn't know I was on android were asking why iMessage wasn't working.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Is there any difference between the contract/price I'd get at a Verizon retail store, and a Radio Shack? Radio Shack's offering $100 off the iphone 5s (with a 2 year contract), plus $100 instant credit if I trade in my 4s. So far it hasn't been worth $200 to me to upgrade to the 5s, but I'm having a hard time seeing how this is a bad deal. Which probably means I'm missing something.

• Locked thread