Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Ettin posted:

This dude's asking for 87k for a board game that spends half its time ranting about Obama. What's he gonna do when Obama's not president?

Well, gotta leave wiggle room for the expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Ettin posted:

A guy asking Kickstarter for $87,500. :allears:

And apparently that 87k doesn't include paying for any of the photographs he's using, as he spends half the page trying to justify them being fair use.

"A Computer Savy Guy posted:

As a technical writer, amateur videographer and photographer, small business owner and a relatively computer-savvy guy, I have a 'good handle' on the technical expertise that a project like The Game of Politics demands.

"A Computer Savy Guy posted:

Thus, I am currently reviewing software that easily converts the images on the game board, trivia cards and game pieces into "caricature" type images.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Ettin posted:

This dude's asking for 87k for a board game that spends half its time ranting about Obama. What's he gonna do when Obama's not president?

The game has been in development for 6 years :haw:

Bucnasti posted:

And apparently that 87k doesn't include paying for any of the photographs he's using, as he spends half the page trying to justify them being fair use.

Instead of finding the photographers, receiving rights, and paying them, I guess it's easier to talk to an attorney about how to pilfer other people's work.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
Going to personally gas this thread for political talk by posting this link

http://www.thegameofpolitics.net/board.html

hover over things, let it all wash over you.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh god, that board, that hideous horribly laid out board.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Ah, Gradient Tool; is there anything you can't do? :allears:

(Make game boards, apparently.)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

stoutfish posted:

Going to personally gas this thread for political talk by posting this link

http://www.thegameofpolitics.net/board.html

hover over things, let it all wash over you.

AHAHAHAHA the guy has no idea how quotation marks work. It's all Who stated, Quote "I am a crazy person."

You don't need to type 'quote' you idiot.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Doctor Zero posted:

AHAHAHAHA the guy has no idea how quotation marks work. It's all Who stated, Quote "I am a crazy person."

You don't need to type 'quote' you idiot.

I'm sure that his target audience doesn't give a gently caress

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

signalnoise posted:

I'm sure that his target audience doesn't give a gently caress

Imaginary populations are cool that way.

Your First Sim
Oct 21, 2008

WHY DID YOU KILL ME
It looks like Daring Comics Role-Playing got cancelled, due to a "overall lack of interest in the project from on overwhelming amount of the fan base". There's also a mention of a "well-known scam artist", which makes you wonder why they would hire him in the first place if he was well-known.

It sounds like they were expecting to make a lot more then their funding goal.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well if they had wanted more money, they should have asked for more money.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Kwyndig posted:

Well if they had wanted more money, they should have asked for more money.

It's a typical KS tactic. Starting low with "fake" stretch goals you were planning on making all along is gets more donations than staring high, even with those "stretch goals" as part of the base package.

Humans are really, really dumb when it comes to marketing.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

dishwasherlove posted:

Tectonic Craft Studios. I feel bad for the guy, he clearly bit off more than he could chew. The Kickstarter was to fund the laser cutter so that should have set off alarm bells. Looks like he has sent out most of the smaller stuff but of course I pledged for a big bit of terrain. Sounds like the guy can't even afford to post the rewards. Could be worse, I could have pledged for a whole table of terrain like some people.

Just FYI, I saw them at Adepticon last weekend selling their stuff. Not sure if that means they are doing well, but they were definitely there.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

dishwasherlove posted:

Tectonic Craft Studios. I feel bad for the guy, he clearly bit off more than he could chew. The Kickstarter was to fund the laser cutter so that should have set off alarm bells. Looks like he has sent out most of the smaller stuff but of course I pledged for a big bit of terrain. Sounds like the guy can't even afford to post the rewards. Could be worse, I could have pledged for a whole table of terrain like some people.

I bought a bunch of stuff from then online in March and it showed up just fine, no idea they had a (failed?) kickstarter, that sucks. Their objective markers/AoE templates for Warmachine were pretty neat though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Isn't the guy who owns Tectonic the sibling of a goon?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Anyone else back Duelyst?

I don't think I'm the only goon but who knows.

I know via the website you can still preorder and they'll add those to the stretch goals. apparently the end goal is pc + xbox and ps4 or something akin to that

http://duelyst.com/

Looks like its in the vein of games like Final fantasy tactics which is fine by me

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Anyone else back Duelyst?

I don't think I'm the only goon but who knows.

I know via the website you can still preorder and they'll add those to the stretch goals. apparently the end goal is pc + xbox and ps4 or something akin to that

http://duelyst.com/

Looks like its in the vein of games like Final fantasy tactics which is fine by me

Wrong thread, mate.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Doh didn't realize a separate thread for the video like games. THank you

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rolld6/troll-hunt

A boardgame about hunting trolls by reflecting light at them. Seems interesting enough and they have several videos explaining the game.

Germ
May 7, 2013

jmzero posted:

A lot of bigger Kickstarters lately are managing shipping separately for US, Canada, and EU (ie. shipping stuff together to each region, and then using local post from there). That saves a ton of money and speeds delivery, but it requires people in those places. Looking around, I didn't see any companies offering to help with that approach; there's quite a few places that offer Kickstarter fulfillment, but the ones I see just ship items separately from the US (ie. they're more focused on helping with packing and what not, not on reducing shipping costs).

Might be a good business to get into - there's a lot of "peer to peer" type shipping happening now. The model would be something like Ebay's Global Shpping Program: you send your global shipping items to one place in the US (or somewhere closer to the manufacturer), they ship in bulk to different countries, clear customs in big batches, and then send locally.

Someone go do that.

Hmmmm... Is that similar to what Game Salute is doing here? http://www.shipnaked.com

lordarach
Mar 31, 2014
Angry Ogre Games, has a Kickstarter with four games! That's right. FOUR games. You might be wondering how we're able to pull that one off when most companies can only do one. The answer is that we don't outsource production, so we control how much of anything is made at anytime. We don't need to rely on a single large order to China. All of our games are created and manufactured in Houston, TX. Angry Ogre Games does not run a one-and-done operation. Most games being sent overseas for production must meet a certain minimum order quantities which means that while the majority of board game Kickstarter can meet that requirement, they may or may not have the funds to make secondary orders to support future demand that retailers have drummed up for them. There is no such thing as an out-of-print Angry Ogre game, and we can and will maintain retailer support.

This brings up the question of why we need Kickstarter. While we have all the basic equipment to create our games, we are looking for two things. The first is a bulk materials order to keep the price-point reasonable for self-sustainability thus ensuring we don't need to go back to Kickstarter for our next project. The second is a bit to put toward new equipment. There is, unfortunately, one thing we do need to order in, and that is custom dice. We're hoping to be able to raise or save up enough for our dice press and engraver we've been drooling over.

Without further adieu, here are our games.

Sink the Titanic - $20
A 1-2 player board game that pits you, the icebergs, against the evil Titanic.

“Bob”ball! Awesomer edition - $25
A 2 player board game where you each try to save your mutant family and get them to the Pleasure Saucers before X-Day.

Deep, Dark, Random Forest - $30
A two-player constructible board game that combines strategy and luck. Collect three Relic Cards and land on your opponent’s Starting Square.

The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County - $35
A 2-6 player game where each player joins in a crazy dash to hop their frogs across the finish line, but don't let your opponents know which frog is yours or they'll fill you with buckshot. Hop. Bluff. Win.

“Bob”ball! Super Duper edition - $40
This is the same as the Awesomer edition but with upgraded dice, and a much larger board to play on. If the stretch goals are reached, this version will also have exclusive custom dice, artwork by Dirk Strangely, and be available in 3D!

Hopefully, this has encouraged you to, at least, give our Kickstarter page a look or even enticed you to pledge toward one of our games. If you have any questions, I answer pretty quickly through our Facebook page or kickstarter@angryogregames.com. Thanks!

Michael Cox
CEO, Angry Ogre Games

Find me at the Angry Ogre Games website or on Kickstarter

lordarach fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 14, 2014

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
All those games look like games my mom would have bought in the 80's. The aesthetics leave much to be desired, and from reading the description, they're closer to monopoly level board gaming instead of something actually, well, fun.

I think you picked the wrong place to shill your kickstarter, but that's just me.

lordarach
Mar 31, 2014
That's alright, The Black Stone. I expected some flamage. These games are not for everyone. We like to focus on shorter casual games with underlying, subtle strategy. If you don't like those, we are not the company for you, and that's fine. You won't see any Europey products with 5 pounds of pieces or novellas for rule books come from us. Each game plays out in about 30 minutes and is appropriate for all age groups. The aesthetics were designed for the particular themes of each game so if the subject matter doesn't appeal to you, you won't like them. Again, that's fine. Thanks for taking a look regardless!

Michael Cox
CEO, Angry Ogre Games

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

lordarach posted:

You might be wondering how we're able to pull that one off when most companies can only do one.

Nope, the answer is most games have better looking art, better components, more components, and good gameplay. Those cost money.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyP6YwbqQUA

(Within the limits of gray forum rules!)

lordarach
Mar 31, 2014
While I do see where you're speaking from, Crackbone. Most of those points have no bearing on the requirement to make a minimum quantity order of single board game titles from China. More components do cost more to manufacture. I do appreciate your feedback though.

The art matches the themes for which they are designed, which I'll agree is subjective. We aren't fans of too many components for the sake of having a large amount of components. We include just enough to make the mechanics work. Those who have had the opportunity to play our games with us at conventions have enjoyed themselves. I do apologize if you didn't have a good time when you played with us. What did you not like about the components? Did they not feel right? What part of the gameplay was not fun for you?

Michael Cox
CEO, Angry Ogre Games

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I like the idea of the games and some of them look like they could be fun, if casual. I do think this is probably the wrong forum for you to advertise on, you're not gonna find your target audience here and you're gonna spend a lot of time combating goons.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Is any money from this going to the Church? I know Stang tends to be pretty easygoing about this kind of thing, but admit I'm curious.

lordarach
Mar 31, 2014
SquandronROE, thanks for your reply! Understood. I have read through the forum some, and do enjoy a bit of back-and-forth now and then to keep things interesting. I think trolling is an art form the Internet doesn't have enough of. This seemed like somewhere I could make a mention, if even to deaf ears, and have some fun at the same time. I'm not worried about nay-saying. We keep it light down here, and probably won't look here again after today.

Michael Cox
CEO, Angry Ogre Games

lordarach
Mar 31, 2014

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Is any money from this going to the Church? I know Stang tends to be pretty easygoing about this kind of thing, but admit I'm curious.

We wouldn't do it if we weren't giving back to The Church. "Bob"ball! is our way of saying, "Thanks for all the years of slack!" We made all appropriate wheelings and dealings with Ivan, and he's excited about it.

Michael Cox
CEO, Angry Ogre Games

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'm not going to make comments on the production values that have been done by others before, but how much playtesting have you done concerning your games? I don't mean 'the production team has played it a whole lot and we got some people at a con to play!' here. Have you done any playtesting were users were just given the rules and told to play? Playtests were someone was given the rules beforehand and then asked to teach others? What about different age groups/between experienced board-gamers/casuals etc?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Crackbone posted:

It's a typical KS tactic. Starting low with "fake" stretch goals you were planning on making all along is gets more donations than staring high, even with those "stretch goals" as part of the base package.

Humans are really, really dumb when it comes to marketing.
It sounds like they knew they were going to eat the costs but apparently they backed out after what little market share they had apparently said they'd refuse to buy the product if it wasn't pay what you want.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

lordarach posted:

The art matches the themes for which they are designed

So the theme is "lovely no-talent designer?" On a technical level this is an abortion because it's an eyesore to look at. The game with the plain white background is better - game art has to present legible and clear iconography and this fails miserably.

Art is subjective to a point, but this is lousy no-effort MS-Paint bullshit. It's absolute crap on a technical proficiency level and you should be loving embarrassed to present this at all.

quote:

We include just enough (components) to make the mechanics work
Yes, like all those other games out there that include unnecessary components :rolleyes:

Also, most boardgames that come up in this thread send out prerelease copies to major boardgame sites/reviewers or other noted industry designers to get feedback/quotes for their KS. How many sites/reviewers/industry vets have you sent your games too? I bet I can guess the answer!

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 14, 2014

lordarach
Mar 31, 2014

Tekopo posted:

Have you done any playtesting were users were just given the rules and told to play? Playtests were someone was given the rules beforehand and then asked to teach others? What about different age groups/between experienced board-gamers/casuals etc?

We have! That's my preferred method. Any can teach a game and get someone to understand it, but in order to make sure our rules are clear and concise, we always have participates read through and play by their interpretations. Everywhere we go, we like to leave a copy of something for people to pick up and play on their own. We're not done editing until players can do that and play as we intended. I don't like making anything I can't play with my nine year-old. He enjoys taking our games to other tables to teach the other kids how to play.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

lordarach posted:

SquandronROE, thanks for your reply! Understood. I have read through the forum some, and do enjoy a bit of back-and-forth now and then to keep things interesting. I think trolling is an art form the Internet doesn't have enough of. This seemed like somewhere I could make a mention, if even to deaf ears, and have some fun at the same time. I'm not worried about nay-saying. We keep it light down here, and probably won't look here again after today.

I get the idea that for some reason you came here looking for a fight, given that this is the second time in the span of like 5 posts that you've mentioned flaming and trolling, when all of the comments so far are pretty fair and measured. It's like you're giving yourself an excuse to disregard our comments because for some reason they're inherently belligerent or something.

lordarach posted:

You won't see any Europey products with 5 pounds of pieces or novellas for rule books come from us.

Those "Europey products" have all those things and cost about the same (or less) than what you're offering. Hell, Eldritch Horror and Kemet cost like $40 each and both have way more stuff in much higher quality than Bob Ball. Kemet also only has a 9 page rulebook, with an additional reference book for the various power cards. These games sorta remind me of the old Cheap rear end Games games, but, y'know, not cheap.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

This is from last page but man, fun stuff. It reads like a manifesto from a guy who is about to go on a shooting spree.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Guys c'mon it's #@*^ing fun alright and has loads more awesome

:frogsiren: IT'S COMING RIGHT AT YOU :frogsiren:

edit: seriousnote - I think you need more 3d text.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

:frogsiren: IT'S COMING RIGHT AT YOU :frogsiren:

Straight from Word 2003's famous "WordArt" feature.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Your First Sim posted:

It looks like Daring Comics Role-Playing got cancelled, due to a "overall lack of interest in the project from on overwhelming amount of the fan base". There's also a mention of a "well-known scam artist", which makes you wonder why they would hire him in the first place if he was well-known.

It sounds like they were expecting to make a lot more then their funding goal.

According to Fred Hicks, it was also canceled because people were harassing Daring Entertainment, saying that they were never going to support them unless they made the game PWYW.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I don't know, man, it doesn't say anything about loads more awesome, it could just have marginally more awesome.

• Locked thread