Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Guys c'mon it's #@*^ing fun alright and has loads more awesome

:frogsiren: IT'S COMING RIGHT AT YOU :frogsiren:

edit: seriousnote - I think you need more 3d text.

There are so many things wrong with this game cover I don't know where to start. It's the perfect representation of every dumbass who says "pffft, what do I need a designer for?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.

SquadronROE posted:

This is from last page but man, fun stuff. It reads like a manifesto from a guy who is about to go on a shooting spree.

The Conservative bootstraps game that wanted to fund via KS just cancelled like 3 minutes ago as of your post. Sucks that there won't be any future comedy incoming in the updates or anything.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

According to Fed Hicks, it was also canceled because people were harassing Daring Entertainment, saying that they were never going to support them unless they made the game PWYW.

Good god, and I thought the manchildren peppering Greenlight pages with 'NO LINUX NO BUY' were an embarrassment to my hobbies.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

SquadronROE posted:

This is from last page but man, fun stuff. It reads like a manifesto from a guy who is about to go on a shooting spree.

"Funding Canceled Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator 8 minutes ago."

With the funding total still sitting at $666.

Game of Politics

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 14, 2014

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Bieeardo posted:

Good god, and I thought the manchildren peppering Greenlight pages with 'NO LINUX NO BUY' were an embarrassment to my hobbies.

Wait, is that a thing people do? Isn't that just incredibly obvious? If a game isn't out for linux of course linux users aren't going to buy it, it's like XBox users not buying playstation games. :psyduck:

lordarach
Mar 31, 2014
I didn't come looking for a fight, but did anticipate that some would happen. If it didn't, I would question if I was even on the Internet.

Word 2003? Nah. We have '07 here. ;) "Bob"ball! is geared toward a specific audience with The Book of the SubGenius in mind. Clipart-style is the key to capturing the essence of "Bob", so we went with it. We've already expected that not everyone will get it. If everyone got it, we wouldn't give it.

Alright guys. I'll leave you to your forum. Take it easy, and enjoy the games you do play. The important thing is just to play. Get your buddies around the table, and have fun!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 14, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Bad Munki posted:

I don't know, man, it doesn't say anything about loads more awesome, it could just have marginally more awesome.

I was so pumped up by the gold foil emblem that I instantly assumed "loads"

lordarach posted:

I didn't come looking for a fight, but did anticipate that some would happen. If it didn't, I would question if I was even on the Internet.

Word 2003? Nah. We have '07 here. ;) "Bob"ball! is geared toward a specific audience with The Book of the SubGenius in mind. Clipart-style is the key to capturing the essence of "Bob", so we went with it. We've already expected that not everyone will get it. If everyone got it, we wouldn't give it.

Alright guys. I'll leave you to your forum. Take it easy, and enjoy the games you do play. The important thing is just to play. Get your buddies around the table, and have fun!

:thumbsup:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

It is a fair point - eye-searing kludged amateur art (NSFW) fits it right in with most Church of the Subgenius material. But I don't know if I could stand staring at this for a full half-hour.

I just don't know. :smith:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Some guy in Muskegon is going to have some choice words about the liberal backlash on KickStarter that is keeping his free market ideals down tonight!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

lordarach posted:

Have fun? Man you really don't "get" this crew.

http://allownofun.blogspot.com/2013/01/on-subject-of-fun.html

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Hahahaha Indolent have you even read that article? It doesn't say what you think it says :ssh:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Hahahaha Indolent have you even read that article? It doesn't say what you think it says :shhh:

Yes I have. I was just being cheeky.

It says exactly what I think it says. But lets be honest those terrible games were being pitched on "fun" and little else.

E: Redacted

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 14, 2014

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
e: nm

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Yes I have. I was just being cheeky.

It says exactly what I think it says. But lets be honest those terrible games were being pitched on "fun" and little else.
Fair enough then, although I think you can give a little bit of leeway when describing games you made yourself rather than reviewing other people's games.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Fair enough then, although I think you can give a little bit of leeway when describing games you made yourself rather than reviewing other people's games.

I suppose. But if I am going to give myself a headache looking at that artwork, it better be the most fun I've ever had while seated.

Regarding your edited statement. I have tried to reform. I post much less in TG, and when I do I try to avoid stirring up issues. Even during the "has this thread gotten less haughty" discussion I kept quiet. I'm trying to be good I promise.:angel:

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 14, 2014

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Doctor Zero posted:

Some guy in Muskegon is going to have some choice words about the liberal backlash on KickStarter that is keeping his free market ideals down tonight!

He actually mentions why he cancelled the project in the comments.

Bert Ogborn, which is somehow a real name, posted:

I carefully read Tim Fennell's comment, and talked to my attorney about caricatures vs. images again. He says that, though no photographic images will be used in the actual manufacturing of the game, since Kickstarter is being used for the MARKETING, it is highly unlikely, but I could still be sued by various parties.
I am going to "regroup" and take care of the caricature issue, and, hopefully, in the next few months, launch on Kickstarter again.
Thanks for your support!
Bert

So look forward to the Game of Politics Part 2, coming soon to Kickstarter.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Kai Tave posted:

He actually mentions why he cancelled the project in the comments.

So look forward to the Game of Politics Part 2, coming soon to Kickstarter.

I can't wait to see what jewels he can churn out with Paint.NET, unless he can find some stupid liberal hippie art fart dork enterprising graphic designer to leech off of provide an unpaid internship opportunity to.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

:frogsiren: IT'S COMING RIGHT AT YOU :frogsiren:

edit: seriousnote - I think you need more 3d text.

I know the guy has already left in a puff of "you just don't get it" smoke, but this seriously looks like something out of a fever dream, jesus christ.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
My copy of Paperback finally came! Might try it out this week.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Adept Nightingale posted:

I know the guy has already left in a puff of "you just don't get it" smoke, but this seriously looks like something out of a fever dream, jesus christ.

Yes.

That being said, it's hard to top the amount and sheer weirdness of the Subgenius art from Subgenius Illuminati, which managed to match the odd CG and clip art with oh, the usual straightforward rules and layout you'd expect of a Steve Jackson Games product.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
In other news, Inverse World Drivethru code received!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Likewise!

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
Confirming that it worked this time!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

lordarach posted:

SquandronROE, thanks for your reply! Understood. I have read through the forum some, and do enjoy a bit of back-and-forth now and then to keep things interesting. I think trolling is an art form the Internet doesn't have enough of. This seemed like somewhere I could make a mention, if even to deaf ears, and have some fun at the same time. I'm not worried about nay-saying. We keep it light down here, and probably won't look here again after today.
Man what

Have you ever visited tg before today? Trolling is minimal, content is high. They're telling you your kickstarter games look like poo poo, which is both true and not trolling and not an art form.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Man what

Have you ever visited tg before today? Trolling is minimal, content is high. They're telling you your kickstarter games look like poo poo, which is both true and not trolling and not an art form.

nah man he's saying that his kickstarter campaign is just a troll

I think?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Nonono, we're saying it might got be great, obviously we're trolling.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

lordarach posted:

I think trolling is an art form the Internet doesn't have enough of.

I'm pretty sure there is nothing that the Internet doesn't have enough of.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Bosushi! posted:

I'm pretty sure there is nothing that the Internet doesn't have enough of.

Reasonable, intelligent discussion?

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
So I know Lordarach is already supposed to be gone but can we take a moment to consider how distasteful this is:

[quote=Michael Cox
CEO, Angry Ogre Games]Sink the Titanic is a 1-2 player board game that pits you, the icebergs, against the evil Titanic. You must stop the Titanic from reaching its destination, but be careful, the captain isn't all there. The icebergs win if one crosses the Titanic's bow. The Titanic wins if it safely crosses the Atlantic. Don't let that happen![/quote]

I dunno maybe this is just me but recreating huge tragedies doesn't really seem like a great way to spend family fun time. It reminds me of that game about managing Nazi trains but without even the excuse of having some kind of point to make and also with the expectation that people will not just play but actually pay to play it without having the whole "killing thousands of innocent people" aspect hidden from them.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hang on, I need to go start a kickstarter for my new 2 player board game, "Take Down the World Trade Center."

And yeah, SA has a long history of respecting horrible disasters and those that suffered because of them.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Bad Munki posted:

Hang on, I need to go start a kickstarter for my new 2 player board game, "Take Down the World Trade Center."

And yeah, SA has a long history of respecting horrible disasters and those that suffered because of them.
Let's make a lovely game about shilling for our lovely game on SomethingAwful and making the worst impression possible.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
A game where you play as incompetent game designers/marketers.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Heavy Zed posted:

So I know Lordarach is already supposed to be gone but can we take a moment to consider how distasteful this is:

I dunno maybe this is just me but recreating huge tragedies doesn't really seem like a great way to spend family fun time.

Yeah, seriously, who would play a game like that?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

lordarach posted:

“Bob”ball! Awesomer edition - $25
A 2 player board game where you each try to save your mutant family and get them to the Pleasure Saucers before X-Day.

You're a little late, X-Day was 15 years ago.

lordarach posted:

You seem to be confusing art that was possible on a budget in 1987, and acceptable art in 2014 when every high school kid has a pirated copy of Photoshop.
There's a difference between clipart-style and throwing crap all over your gameboard.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

stoutfish posted:

A game where you play as incompetent game designers/marketers.

Monte Cook presents Monte Cook's World of Monte Cook.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?

Look you already know I'm not actually making some blanket statement against games with violence or dark themes so why are you even doing this?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

grassy gnoll posted:

Monte Cook presents Monte Cook's World of Monte Cook.

Sean K. Reynold's presents Chris Fields' World of Gary Skarka.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So Catacombs is in its last 48 hours, and I'm kinda dismayed that so much of it is Kickstarter exclusive stuff, including stuff that affects gameplay. The issue is that it's $145 for everything, which is a lot to ask for a game that I'm not even sure I'd like. I'm sure this is going to spark debates about Kickstarter exclusive stuff, but blech.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 15, 2014

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

So Catacombs is in its last 48 hours, and I'm kinda dismayed that so much of it is Kickstarter exclusive stuff, including stuff that affects gameplay. The issue is that it's $145 for everything, which is a lot to ask for a game that I'm not even sure I'd like. I'm sure this is going to spark debates about Kickstarter exclusive stuff, but blech.
This was a huge issue I pulled my pledge. I want the game, looks like something I would enjoy
Asking me to drop 145 for everything too much for me.
I don't care for exclusives personally. Give me a discount toss in 1 or 2 exclusive things. Maybe. Let people know they can get the rest after KS for a slight increase in price but don't make it
"Oh hey I learned about this game after the KS ended guess I'll never get what other people are playing with, in a freaking board game, without dropping WAY too much on ebay"

No one else has to agree with me here but thats my feelings on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
Kickstarer exclusive mechanics and add-ons sounds really market hypey to me, it also gives me the sense that they may not support the game too much after release.

• Locked thread