Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

"Brutal Doom is Doomier than Doom" *SA posters flip the gently caress out and carry a grudge for a century*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
I mean, once you start playing the original doom/doom2 levels with mouselook all balance and difficulty already goes out of the window, so it's a little silly to complain about a mod adding gameplay changes. Unless it's ONLY the purists that still play keyboard only making those complaints, in that case fair enough.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Has anyone tried this Dragon Ball Z wad yet? I have fond memories of playing Earth Special Forces for HL1.

AugmentedVision posted:

I mean, once you start playing the original doom/doom2 levels with mouselook all balance and difficulty already goes out of the window, so it's a little silly to complain about a mod adding gameplay changes. Unless it's ONLY the purists that still play keyboard only making those complaints, in that case fair enough.

While you do have a decent point, and there are definitely degrees of altering gameplay, this discussion tends to go nowhere. I just refreshed myself on the past 100 pages of the thread. It wasn't pretty, heh. Not trying to lessen your point, though, mate.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 15, 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

AugmentedVision posted:

That seems to be the case with a lot of indie games and mods

It's not funny, it's AWESOME. People drawing the line at vanilla Doom violence BUT NO MORE is pretty funny, though.

Modeling gibs off of real pictures of dead bodies that have been blown to bits is creepy, yo.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

I'm one of those OG hipsters who can't appreciate how much Brutal Doom fudges around with the original game's balancing. Also yeah, Sgt. Mark is a disgusting racist piece of poo poo with a victim complex who sees any form of criticism of his work as utter jealousy for his success in adding br00tal hardcore real life gore sprite edits to a 20 year old game, then cries once too many people call him a sack of poo poo for telling suicidal people to kill themselves and having BD source code text that refers to turning enemies in to niggers with the plasma rifle.

So basically, gently caress Sgt. Mark and gently caress anything he's made by proxy is what I'm trying to say here.

EDIT: Adventures of Square looks really sweet, and I'm looking forward to it coming out a whole lot!

EDIT2: yes vvvvv that's a thing I said. Well done for noticing! vvvvv

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 15, 2014

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

an_mutt posted:

I'm one of those OG hipsters who can't appreciate how much Brutal Doom fudges around with the original game's balancing. Also yeah, Sgt. Mark is a disgusting racist piece of poo poo with a victim complex who sees any form of criticism of his work as utter jealousy for his success in adding br00tal hardcore real life gore sprite edits to a 20 year old game, then cries once too many people call him a sack of poo poo for telling suicidal people to kill themselves and having BD source code text that refers to turning enemies in to niggers with the plasma rifle.

So basically, gently caress Sgt. Mark and gently caress anything he's made by proxy is what I'm trying to say here.

____________/

I haven't played much of Brutal Doom (like, first 4 levels of Doom Ep1?), kinda fun though! Though if it fucks with the difficulty balance, guess I'm gonna have fun when I replay all the WADs I mentioned in a previous post with it eventually. :v: Still only on Doom 2 The Way ID Did though as I haven't had much time to play. The early levels in that are kinda boring in places and it seems the secrets are a little too hard to find at times. I DID find the big secret in the second level by total accident though, which is neat.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I just play RGA2 because modern warfare weapons with buffed up doom enemies is a suprisingly nice way to burn some time.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I used to think that Brutal Doom's gore was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek parody of 90's-style XTREME violence, but now I think the creator genuinely believes it's unironically badass.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 15, 2014

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Brutal Doom is dogshit.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Project MSX is my go-to for making maps different and harder, though it makes some ambushes downright impossible.

You just can't beat vanilla doom for balance though.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Well all that stuff about the creator kind of ruins Brutal Doom

It's like finding out your favorite ridiculous metal band aren't just treating their songs as epic poo poo a la LOTR, that they actually believe in demons or Odin or whatever.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Since the subject of Brutal Doom has come up again, I guess this is as good a time as any for this question:

Last year, I played version 18 and had a lot of fun with it. I recently tried version 19, and it just seems...well, more brutal is one way of putting it I guess. The whole enemies-crawling-around-slowly-dying thing seems more frequent, which is making me kinda uncomfortable. But I really can't tell if this is just perception changing over the course of a year, or if there is actually a difference between the two versions.

On that note, is there any way Brutal Doom allows you to edit the frequency of this? 'Cause I can dig the over-the-top splatterhouse feel of the WAD, but those animations just make me weary.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Disregarding the creator's personality or opinions (because seriously we don't want to go down the rabbit hole of examining every wad author up close) Brutal Doom is fine for a few hours of fun.

It, like every other gameplay mod, would be much more fun if there were levels built around its design.

Also, the gore just gets kinda bleh after a while. It's no worse than many other games, but it doesn't fit with Doom. It doesn't make it "Doomier", at least as far as the things about Doom that I enjoy.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

When the gently caress YOURSELF was no longer Danny Glover... that was the moment it all went downhill. (Not to poo poo on the goon who did the voice acting, you just can't beat ol' Danny G)

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Sobatchja Morda posted:

But I really can't tell if this is just perception changing over the course of a year, or if there is actually a difference between the two versions.

Brutal Doom's changed so many design decisions and reversed its direction so many times I wouldn't be surprised if there actually is a difference.
And short of opening the wad yourself and editing it, no. There are no cvars or settings that would allow the player choose the blood amount/frequency/etc etc.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Thanks to that book, every time I see John Carmack I imagine him battering down doors with his battle axe. Masters of Doom is awesome.

I would pay David Kushner so much god drat money to see him do a similar book about 3D Realms. Would love to see just how hosed things got throughout DNF as George Broussard's company just comes crashing down around him. :allears:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think Quake is when I learned not to trust pre-release hype. People from id were talking about how you'd be this Thor-like guy flying around the countryside killing demons and sacrificing their heads on altars. Then the game comes out and it's absolutely nothing like that.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

To be fair it probably was that when they talked about it.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

TerminusEst13 posted:

To be fair it probably was that when they talked about it.

Form what I remember, Quake 1 was basically an overglorified tech demo when Romero was talking about stuff like using a hammer as your only weapon. When they figured out there was zero way they could get the Quake 1 they promised out the door as fast as they wanted, they changed the gameplay to be Doom v2 but kept most of the art they had made for the original design up to that point. That's why you do weird poo poo like gib knights with a rocket launcher and shoot floating wizard snakes with a nail gun.

IIRC, QTest was released around they point the team put two or three months into making Quake 1 as we know it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Quake as you being Thor-wannabe and wielding a big hammer was an idea Romero had for a while, since it appeared first in a Keen game.
http://www.3drealms.com/keenhistory/keenhistory3.html

quote:

Quake: The Fight For Justice

Back in 1990, when Keen 3 was put out, it contained the genesis of an idea that would manifest itself many years later, and that was Quake. In the previews area in Keen 3 is the text below, which describes what the original game concept for Quake was. The game changed, obviously, but the idea had been planted long ago. Check it out!

quote:

COMING SOON FROM ID SOFTWARE

As our follow-up to the Commander Keen trilogy, id Software is working on 'The Fight for Justice', a completely new approach to fantasy gaming. You start not as a weakling with no food--you start as Quake, the strongest, most dangerous person on the continent. You start off with a Hammer of Thunderbolts, a Ring of Regeneration, and a trans-dimensional artifact. Here the fun begins. You fight for Justice, a secret organization devoted to vanquishing evil from the land! This is role-playing excitement.

And you don't chunk around the screen. 'The Fight for Justice' contains fully animated scrolling backgrounds. All the people you meet have their own lives, personalities, and objectives. A 256-color VGA version will be available (smooth scrolling 256-color screens --fancy that)!

And the depth of play will be intense. No more "whack whack here's some gold." There will be interesting puzzles and decisions won't be "yes/no" but complex correlations of people and events. 'The Fight for Justice' will be the finest PC game yet.

I remember also an interview where Romero explained his idea for Quake's gameplay, and it sounded like it would have been a beat-em-up in 3D instead of a shoot-em-up. It was supposed to be brawls and duels where you'd need to pound on your enemy for a while to win. Really mash them into little bits. Why Romero thought it would be awesome and cool rather than boring and tedious, I have no idea. Early 3D games either had absolutely lovely melee, or controls that would make a flight simulator veteran reach for the aspirin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmP4H01oI14

Honestly, being a game where you jump around with a nailgun and a rocket launcher was the best thing that could happen to Quake.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

TerminusEst13 posted:

Brutal Doom's changed so many design decisions and reversed its direction so many times I wouldn't be surprised if there actually is a difference.
And short of opening the wad yourself and editing it, no. There are no cvars or settings that would allow the player choose the blood amount/frequency/etc etc.

Ah, well that explains. It's a shame that it will never happen, but the best form of Brutal Doom would just be a set of variables that you'd be allowed to mess with. I'd take the melee (which is awesome, has a nice risk-and-reward mechanic, and stolen wholesale from Space Marine), the splatterhouse blood and gibs, and the taunts. Leave the maiming and most of the weapons. Or just mix it up, depending on the type of WAD.

Awesome Welles posted:

I would pay David Kushner so much god drat money to see him do a similar book about 3D Realms. Would love to see just how hosed things got throughout DNF as George Broussard's company just comes crashing down around him. :allears:

Speaking of this, did anyone from 3D Realms ever come forward with some juicy stories? I remember reading about one guy, around DNF's release, who talked about spending over a year working on the same level. Is there any more like that?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
The original Quake sounds neat on paper, but there's no way they could've pulled that off back in the mid 90s. The released Quake 1 is a lot more fun than what was originally planned, even if it was a rush-job just to get something on the market. It's one of the best deathmatch games ever made, even today.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Awesome Welles posted:

I wonder myself about how many parallels you can draw between Ion Storm/Daikatana and 3D Realms/Duke Forever. Both companies where headed by a huge ego who believed his own hype, and wanted his game to be the most amazing thing ever. The games both went through heavy engine changes, spent way too long in production, and ended up destroying their respective companies. I'm also pretty sure George Broussard would've greenlit a Bitch Ad if Romero hadn't done it first.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Speaking of this, did anyone from 3D Realms ever come forward with some juicy stories? I remember reading about one guy, around DNF's release, who talked about spending over a year working on the same level. Is there any more like that?

Here's one I managed to dig up from Duke4:

http://forums.duke4.net/topic/6449-former-3d-realms-employee-speaks-out/

quote:

Hi everyone I should have posted this long time ago when there was still interest about the game. The fact how the game ended is also a bit of my fault. This is something for me just to feel a bit better.

Most of the game faults came because no one openly spoke about what they think. We had serious problem issuing our concerns. There was very little feedback from both us and management. There were no board meetings like you could imagine, just George running from computer to computer to check our progress. Sometimes I knew I screwed up and George would just say he doesn't like it but that I should continue anyway instead of just whoop my rear end. He had very hard time addressing what is wrong and what should be done instead. He always tried to be polite - and sometimes You just can't. There was this tense unpleasant atmosphere in the company covered by the mask of kindness. I believe it was also our fault. If your boss is this dove-like daddy figure instead of some power hungry jerk you know what I mean. Whenever there was a problem almost no one had the balls to talk to George. He was so deeply invested in this game personally that no one wanted to hurt him. This self censorship lead to a double standard that even when we were dissatisfied with the direction of the project anyone who got vocal about it was called a traitor - the quitters were cowards and so on. I wanted several times to come to his office and leave the project but when I saw how enthusiastic he is about some new stuff we made I didn't had the heart to do it. We were so personally attached to him that the growing problems were swooped under the rug until someone would finally trip over the pile.

This pile was simply money. We were working for the minimal average in the industry. We could get more after the game was released having percentage of the sales. The obvious fault of the system is that the longer the game takes the longer Your true paycheck is suspended. People were working for the same money for few years straight. With no signs of completing the game people quit - very valuable and key people. Another problem was that with very small team we had to work at least 80h a week (which is a standard now but then it was a little different) otherwise nothing could be done on any reasonable pace. Because we were working on a percentage from sales everyone was pretty reluctant to see new faces on the team as people feared they percentage would be negotiated if too many people would come. So we lacked manpower and at the same time - no one wanted for the team to grow. Project was taking too long and some people started having issues with their families, some people got kids and just couldn't afford working a basically two full-time jobs for less than quarter what they could get in other companies with their talent - regardless of the potential benefits and atmosphere at work. What I think the worst was that we felt exploited and exploiting. George exploited us with his fragility over money and we exploited his kindness over control. Everything slowly started to rot and fall apart. Everyone was seemingly doing their things but nothing of value was produced. George focused on small things but didn't had the big picture (or didn't want to see it) and we were frustrated over lack of clear goals.

Then George and Scott came and told us that consoles are the key citing Prey sales. I knew that game will ported onto consoles but for me that was one of the worst thing that could happen to the project. I had to delete all the pickups which took months of work to put in some sensible manner and ego mechanic which was another several months of work and replaced with regeneration. We threw the editor out from the release as no one would ever use it on the consoles. But this was no the worst part of it. The engine we were working with was almost impossible to get good performance on multi-core ps3. We had to rewrite some of the game code and cut some content we hadn’t finished yet in order to get it on time. We couldn't fit the game into X360 disc so we had to cut. There was not enough memory on the consoles to handle open levels we had in mind so we had to either streamline the level or cut completely. Suddenly almost half of the initially designed game was trashed and the other half had to be changed. Memory budget we had was limited to 1/4 - we either had to scale down levels, cut them into parts, corridor them or just replace textures with something less demanding. Surely You could build an awesome looking game on consoles with limited memory but You had to do it from start and using some dirty tricks - which our engine nor our game just wasn't fit for. I was all for the engine switch at that time - we could start the game with a new engine because we had to rewrite a lot of content anyway and without this hampering zombie we made from unreal engine. I believe at that time the only thing that stopped this was money. Licensing another engine was a costly issue so George had to make tough decision - game was going nowhere and he either had to sped up existing things or restart and meddle with another 3 years on the project.

He choose to finally finish the game - for the first time we had a project manager, a plan and clear direction. Team had to grow in order to finish the game on time so new people came in. From the start we the "old guard" were at least unfriendly towards the new ones. The new guys just basically thought that they will finish the game in just one year. They had to be fully paid because in no way they agreed to work on a percentage - they knew that they are needed and exploited this without mercy when negotiating their contract. Enough to say - we were in the company for years working our rear end overtime and never had a raise. They came from the rear end and from start got twice as we had. Some of the people working from the start this time called quits. New guys (now I think its funny) were outside our little cult - when something was wrong they didn't hesitate to call our manager or even George, "it can't be done", "this is stupid", "you are wrong", "I won't do it" was the stuff he never heard from us in years and now it was his breakfast, lunch and dinner. George was pretty miserable at that time - it seemed he lost control and heart for his project. He wasn't even there - I think he couldn't deal with constant criticism and in the end started hating his game. But the results were coming, game was going forward and finally it could see the release. But the company for me died. I was also expecting a child - and some new more profitable business opportunities came. I noticed that I didn't want to work here anymore. I didn't had time to quit. I was fired.

It was okay when 20 people worked 80 hours a week. But when 40 people started working 40 hours a week for the same wage as before developing costs quadrupled. George and Scott quickly ran out of money - they took some loans and asked publisher for support. They had a knife on their throats and either had to get the money or the new guys would leave 24h when they didn't get their pay. They made the deal with the devil. For this amount of loan they effectively seized control over its release. At that time George and Scott wouldn't know they would give up. If he did he would never do it. Probably just one day he summed things up and decided he is fed up. The costs of finishing it up were too big just for two people to handle and even with loans they would never sell as much as they wanted. I remember we were almost still a year from finishing the project - and no one had enough money for another year on full-time working team. It is now easy to judge them but they invested their own money - something that nowadays would sound ridiculous at least even on the average budget for projects like this. He is a married man and has more important things to do than spending money on making video games. I understand him fully - after I got fired I finally could spend some time with my wife and kids. Until then I didn't even knew how much I lost from life.

I don't know much what happened to the game after my departure. I knew the game was bought up by another company and scheduled for a release. I had my share of doubts if I really wanted to know how the game will be. Of course I bought it with the DLCs on steam sale and played it. My thoughts about the game? Seriously? It was a horrid experience. I could seriously see that almost nothing was done since I left. Nothing new was added, maybe few things were tweaked and finished plus all bad decisions made at that point were still there. The limitations went even further - blood decals were missing, texture quality went down and to cover this up a nice smudge of post processing and depth of field. Some of the levels went into DLC, some multiplayer maps should be in singleplayer and so on. The game wasn't good at least for me - nor did I remember it any better when working on it sadly. My worst fears that for all those years I was working on a project that in the end won't be that good were realized. It was a little heartbreaking to see the end result this below average after so much time spent on it. I had this feeling of guilt that I should did something during the development I should voiced my concerns when there was still time. It is too late now.

Was working on the game fun - yes it was. Was it worth it - no it wasn't. Nothing is worth so many years spent making a basically a elaborate toy for someone's amusement that is taking the toll from Your personal life. I regret it didn't come to me any sooner - the joy of female companionship, the smile of a child, look of a beautiful blue summer sky, walk in the park. All those simple things I missed when thinking only about work. Right now I am far away from the business and hope to keep it this way. I hope that people who are so obsessed with video games both making and playing them in general could just leave them for a moment and think. You are not winning anything and basically just wasting your time achieving nothing instead of doing some meaningful things in the real world. It is a pity I understood this so late in my life. Cheers and have a happy weekend!

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
:catstare:Holy poo poo. That's a terrible way to run any company.

Although I did get a laugh out of this:

quote:

Of course I bought it with the DLCs on steam sale and played it.

Does this mean he worked for years on the game, but waited patiently for it to hit the sale before buying it?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Cat Mattress posted:

Quake as you being Thor-wannabe and wielding a big hammer was an idea Romero had for a while, since it appeared first in a Keen game.
http://www.3drealms.com/keenhistory/keenhistory3.html

I remember also an interview where Romero explained his idea for Quake's gameplay, and it sounded like it would have been a beat-em-up in 3D instead of a shoot-em-up. It was supposed to be brawls and duels where you'd need to pound on your enemy for a while to win. Really mash them into little bits. Why Romero thought it would be awesome and cool rather than boring and tedious, I have no idea. Early 3D games either had absolutely lovely melee, or controls that would make a flight simulator veteran reach for the aspirin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmP4H01oI14

Honestly, being a game where you jump around with a nailgun and a rocket launcher was the best thing that could happen to Quake.
[/quote]

Man that's what made that early stuff so wonderful. Those ideas sound like something I would come up with when I was 12, and draw cars with guns on them and stuff.

Now it's all men in suits and marketing and product design

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've always hated the "heh PC Master Race :smugface:" but I do get a little pang at the thought of what DNF could have been if not for the hardware.

But the #1 problem is that management, Jesus Christ.

closeted republican posted:

The original Quake sounds neat on paper, but there's no way they could've pulled that off back in the mid 90s. The released Quake 1 is a lot more fun than what was originally planned, even if it was a rush-job just to get something on the market. It's one of the best deathmatch games ever made, even today.

The idea I got of the original Quake was that it was going to be a full 3D, action based The Elder Scrolls with location based damage. Which could have worked in the mid-90s.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 15, 2014

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I stumbled upon All Out War 2 on zandronum yesterday. This is the best team play wad I have ever seen. loving tiberium sun for doom 2. They even have mechwarrior mechs. We should get a huge goon game going.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

As I recall, Hexen 2 is a fair bit more melee-oriented, at least with the class I wound up going with (and I don't remember which that was), so, given it shares an engine, it's a decent approximation of what Quake was gonna end up like.

It's okay. I get lost pretty easily, but that's true of Hexen's hub-and-puzzle-based design in general, and presumably wouldn't have applied to Quake itself. I do like how practically everything in the game can be destroyed if you whack it enough times. Tables, chairs, some walls, dead monsters, they all explode quite spectacularly given a bit of prodding.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Edit: poo poo sorry I'm behind the thread, shoulda checked the page

Oh look we're back to bitching about brutal doom

GUI posted:

I believe it was the original Gears of War for PC failing that soured CliffyB on PC gaming. I recall it bombed pretty terribly because it came out a year after the console version, had a very common savegame corruption bug and it was in the early days of GFWL when the PC client wanted you to pay for multiplayer.

I'll never forget UT3 because it had probably the worst bug I've ever encountered in a AAA game release.

Entire series of CPUs couldn't play the Onslaught mode or whichever was the really good one with bases and vehicles, because it used a special portal, and the shader for that portal or something to do with its code would reliably blue-screen my computer every single loving time it came up on screen; instant bluescreen.

You could play deathmatch or CTF for hours and never have an issue, but as soon as you started up Onslaught, instant BSOD. I've never seen anything like it.

I remember waiting like an entire year, going back to their website, and still seeing it listed under "known bugs" or something. What the loving hell Epic games? Fix your poo poo!

gently caress them, UT3 sucked balls and deserved to die in a fire.

Holy poo poo I remember playing the story mode one time and it was ungodly terribad.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 15, 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zaphod42 posted:

Edit: poo poo sorry I'm behind the thread, shoulda checked the page

Oh look we're back to bitching about brutal doom

Hey, at least it didn't last long! Mostly just people saying why exactly they don't enjoy it when asked.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Kazvall posted:

I stumbled upon All Out War 2 on zandronum yesterday. This is the best team play wad I have ever seen. loving tiberium sun for doom 2. They even have mechwarrior mechs. We should get a huge goon game going.
I second this. All Out War is loving amazing and I love how there's a Hellcat mech in there (at least I think it's a Hellcat, my Mechwarrior mech spotting skills are bad)

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

That long post about the guy who worked on DNF explains alot on why that game was so terrible. Really it boils down to blaming consoles for alot of the terrible design decisions. I foolishly pre-ordered the game despite knowing it'll be most likely a trainwreck. My god was I ever right, what a huge trainwreck DNF was.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Sobatchja Morda posted:

It's a shame that it will never happen, but the best form of Brutal Doom would just be a set of variables that you'd be allowed to mess with.

It could really easily happen, actually. I've done a whole ton of different variables with Samsara and it's even possible to create different settings for different types of blood. GetCvar isn't that complicated.

Why Sarge hasn't done it yet...I don't know. :v:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Zaphod42 posted:

gently caress them, UT3 sucked balls and deserved to die in a fire.

Holy poo poo I remember playing the story mode one time and it was ungodly terribad.

I really enjoyed the UT3 story mode.

Of course, I played it coop with three other people and we were all laughing at how stupid the goddamn plot was, and ended up with the most tense game of CTF I have ever been in when the host accidently played the Instagib card on the second-to-last map. Three minutes later, we're down 0-2. Twenty minutes after that, we win 3-2. It was the best round of UT3 I have ever played.

Then the final level came around and it was stupid again.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

TerminusEst13 posted:

Why Sarge hasn't done it yet...I don't know. :v:

I suspect it's mostly to do with his worldview, but doesn't Brutal Doom also bake a lot more gore into the sprites themselves? That'd be more art assets to do, and more to change every time there's an update.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Modeling gibs off of real pictures of dead bodies that have been blown to bits is creepy, yo.

In 'Masters of Doom' I think they mention one of the designers looking at car accident pictures for inspiration.

Also the newer book about Rockstar isn't nearly as interesting.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

McDowell posted:

In 'Masters of Doom' I think they mention one of the designers looking at car accident pictures for inspiration.

I think he's referring to the whole debacle of using real photos of dismembered corpses as the gib sprites.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

McDowell posted:

Adrian Carmack worked at a hospital and saw a lot of gory poo poo there. A lot of inspiration came from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

He specifically worked in a morgue, if I recall correctly.