Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

ephex posted:

I wonder if those rules are applied to transwomen as well...

Please don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I need a new ball for kicking about in the park. Durability above all, since the goals are made of metal grating and the pitch is mostly dirt. Recommend round, bouncing ball recommendations here please.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

ephex posted:

I wonder if those rules are applied to transwomen as well...

They are. Our coed league had simple no-more-than-6-of-one-gender rules, and for a while my team had a soon-to-be woman who still clearly moved like a man but counted as female.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Xylorjax posted:

They are. Our coed league had simple no-more-than-6-of-one-gender rules, and for a while my team had a soon-to-be woman who still clearly moved like a man but counted as female.

Gender is so ambiguous these days that they should be a little more specific. "No more than 6 penises per team on the pitch" would eliminate all but the finalized transgenders. Can't be specific with testicles or the eunuchs and testicular cancer survivors would start ringing in for the women.

No Survivors
Jul 3, 2007

No Frank. Not now.

Chas McGill posted:

I need a new ball for kicking about in the park. Durability above all, since the goals are made of metal grating and the pitch is mostly dirt. Recommend round, bouncing ball recommendations here please.

I'm a big fan of the Nike Catalysts. A little pricey, but mine bounce back and forth between outdoor and indoor use, and they hold up really well.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Fryhtaning posted:

Gender is so ambiguous these days that they should be a little more specific. "No more than 6 penises per team on the pitch" would eliminate all but the finalized transgenders. Can't be specific with testicles or the eunuchs and testicular cancer survivors would start ringing in for the women.

I think everyone was too afraid to broach the subject. Hell, she may have been post-op, but she still had much of her old physique. It was a weird situation.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

Just buy a couple of the $20-25 Nike/Adidas/whatever balls. They're going to get thrashed either way in that situation so buy a couple.

onecooldana
Jan 29, 2006

BLAH BLAH BLAH
BLAH BLAH BLAH
SEND 'EM A MESSAGE
BLAH BLAH BLAH
e: im dumb gay

onecooldana fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 8, 2014

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Speaking of balls, I'm not a fan of these padded balls they make now. It's a terrible fad that I hope dies. They feel flat to me unless you over-inflate them. They are too sticky for people that don't need a normal ball to be any stickier. And the cover is too soft and gets gouges in the very easily.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I like the slightly padded balls because as someone who plays a decent amount in goal I dislike the feeling of the rock-hard footballs that have seen a lot of usage cannoning into me at pace. Considering I only just got the movement back in my third finger of my left hand I'll put my vote in for the slightly softer ones to be used this week.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I have no idea what these padded balls are unless we're talking about futsal balls?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I know one of them is the f50 ball or something. I have one, because it was the least expensive option at the time. He's right about it feeling flat. I over inflated mine and suddenly taking a header felt like smashing a brick on your face.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I like padded balls and an attacking female touch in the box.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Fun game last night. Lost 8-4 to the best team in the league, who usually beat us to the tune of 12-0 or thereabouts, so we were pretty pumped at the end.

I also yelled at the ref when I thought he was giving the foul to the other team, when he actually was giving it to me. I stripped their best player of the ball and started sprinting away with it (two things that rarely happen independently, let alone together), then he stumbled and fell trying to chase me, immediately followed by the whistle and the ref appearing to point towards our goal, so I almost went berserk. Then it turns out he was pointing with both arms at the same time - signalling "direct kick" with the one pointing at us - and told me after the game that the dude had clipped my ankle when I was breaking away from him. I didn't feel a thing.

Good times and good laughs all around.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So after being very reluctant to play all season, I've played four games in the last 5 weeks and done pretty well in goal so will be starting the big game tomorrow against our promotion rivals.

Except I tweaked my back on Saturday, and it has been aching ever since - I'm having a sports massage tomorrow morning and will stretch as best I can.

Going to have to be well aware of my limitations, but I think I'll be able to command the box and reassure the back four better than our other keeper, who seems prone to gifting goals away.

Thinking of popping some Asprin before the game to help me get through it.

Probably going to be my last game this season (partly due to moving to chicago) but gently caress I am in the mood to win this loving game whatever it takes.

RIP my back.

Let's hear tips about playing through injuries or your horror stories!

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Develop your quads and glutes properly so you don't strain your knees, knee injuries (tendonitis in my case) are a bitch and take forever to heal.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
played my first game of the spring today after a couple years of drinking and smoking. We played 11s on full turf pitch in 75 degree weather and I got forced into my usual left mid position. Played absolutely no D and felt my face turn green a couple times, but I got a sweet near post goal and an assist. To smoke and play mid is to be a student of pain.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

Drogadon posted:

Develop your quads and glutes properly so you don't strain your knees, knee injuries (tendonitis in my case) are a bitch and take forever to heal.

This. Also basketball forum guys can tell you a ton about knee strength/flexibility exercises.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The one true wheezy posted:

To smoke and play mid is to be a student of pain.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
Played keeper at indoor last night, made some good saves but also gave the ball to the striker a couple of times when trying to dink it over the first line.

Should've thrown it but our players are retarded and don't know how to control with their chest.

lost 9-8, probably my fault cause of the few individual errors but we did have someone miss an open goal from 5 yards with a minute to go. :(

got a hattrick playing 11 aside on the weekend though. :D

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Long post from a newbie incoming...

I decided to get into playing soccer instead of just watching it on the weekends. My goal is to get exercise, become a decent player, join a league, and have fun. I've never played soccer in my life, grew up playing baseball instead, but I've watched it for many years now, so I can play right!? I found this Co-Rec Soccer league that has 'Saturday clinics & player-placement games' and decided to give it a go. Went to an Adidas outlet and got some $20 turf shoes:

They're cheap and poo poo but they'll work until I figure out what the hell I'm doing.

After going for 2 consecutive weeks, I completely tore up my body. Apparently I toe-poked the ball too many times my first week, causing several blood blisters, although I finally learned how to properly pass/kick the ball my second week. Also my second week I strained a few muscles and may have a stress factor on my shin (going to the doc later this week). Even though I cycle 30+ miles a week and walk 4-8 hours a day, playing soccer for two 2 hour sessions hosed me up. - So now, for the past 2 weeks I've just been healing and recovering (still cycling/walking regularly). I plan to get back at it in another 2-3 weeks depending on the doctors orders.

The actual format of the sessions was quite fun. Started with warm-ups, drills, etc, then eventually a full 11v11 game. My first week I mostly played as a midfielder that helped in defense because no one wanted to track back and all the defenders wanted to rush forward. I thought I did well getting into space, providing some okay passes, and clearing out any dangerous balls. At half-time we were told to switch positions and I was assigned as a striker/target man because I'm tall. I was complete poo poo. I remember getting into good positions but then being able to do gently caress all but give the ball away several times.

My second week went about as well as the first, although I was happy to be taught how to pass the ball properly. I did better and felt more confident in the midfield. I was tossed into a forward spot again at half. This time I did manage to do better and actually contributed to a goal. Some random clearance came my way and I headed the ball to a guy on the wing, who then crossed it in to another forward, who then scored. :feelsgood:

Yeah, overall soccer is loving awesome, but I rushed into it very quickly and hosed myself up.

euroboy posted:

Intelligence and composure.
Even if you don't have good technique the ability to perform within your means is incredibly important.

Fitness is also extremely important,
These are all great points, and I realized them after the fact. I thought I had the fitness but I don't. I have zero composure. I have some intelligence, but don't quite have the ability to perform what I'm thinking, although I did surprise myself a few times. - Basically "Even if you don't have good technique the ability to perform within your means is incredibly important." is my goal.

fyallm posted:

Wow, running a 5k 3 times a week uses totally different muscles than soccer, gently caress am i sore... can anyone explain to me why coed leagues require a female touch on the offensive, and not have a competing coed league without that rule? I get the 3 females on the field but the female touch totally fucks with the flow of the game.
I was really surprised by this as well. I was ignorant and thought I'd be fine because I cycle/walk regularly. Good times. - The co-ed league I plan to join just requires the same number of females to be on each team/on the pitch at the same time. Those 'female touch' rules are weird as hell.

Tzen fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 15, 2014

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

If you're just getting into football then I can't imagine how hard 11v11 must be. Its not good for your own development since it encourages to take the easiest options (hoof it up to the big lad or just pass it to someone better instead of taking chances on your own) and it's mostly about being fit enough to run around a whole match at that level. Try playing on a 7v7 pitch or even 5 a side. It forces you to think quicker, to use your technique and puts you in more situations where you're directly up against one or more opponents. And most importantly its a lot more fun, it's lot faster and lets you concentrate on football rather than managing your fitness.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Going into a high tempo 7v7 or 5 a side for someone who has played 2 weeks will be...interesting. Nothing wrong with the 11 imo - more space, more time.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I'm actually glad I started on a 11V11 squad. It throws you right into the mix, and you learn that working together is a lot better than trying to be a billy badass. It also gives you a lot more down time if you're playing more forward or backwards.

Toe poking the ball is something I used to do as well. The best way to get rid of it is just to practice. I think I got rid of my habit after a week of practice.

I can't say much on being a midfielder, I don't like playing that far up, but from what I've seen, passing is the biggest thing you can bring to the table. And the ability to retain the ball.

The boots you got should be ok, I guess. I started out with a 30 dollar pair of under armor and those lasted for a while.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Soulex posted:

Toe poking the ball is something I used to do as well. The best way to get rid of it is just to practice. I think I got rid of my habit after a week of practice.
Conversely, all the best players are good at toe poking. It's a deadly finish, especially in 5-a-side.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Going into a high tempo 7v7 or 5 a side for someone who has played 2 weeks will be...interesting. Nothing wrong with the 11 imo - more space, more time.

Trial by fire, man. It really does force the mechanics and the understanding of how the game is played. Plus, you're way more likely to get touches on the ball so you can feel comfortable in possession in a game environment. But playing is playing, so any game time is a good time.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Any game time is good time as Vinestalk said but imo the best way to develop technical and tactical skills as a beginner is on a smaller pitch with fewer players. It's always seemed more encouraging for me to play like that, you're always involved and you can't hide like it's easy to do on a full pitch when you're tired and low on confidence.

Anyway, just get out and play. It's a brilliant feeling as you start getting better and manage to pull things off, score a few goals and other cool stuff.

Toe pokes owns btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwmTy3SAMzk

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

I've played in that CoRec league before. It's good for someone who doesn't have the on-ball confidence yet because you have a lot more time/space to take a touch, look up, and do something not poo poo with the ball. I can't imagine throwing a never-played-before newbie into a high pressure 5 a side game right away.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

euroboy posted:

If you're just getting into football then I can't imagine how hard 11v11 must be. Its not good for your own development since it encourages to take the easiest options (hoof it up to the big lad or just pass it to someone better instead of taking chances on your own) and it's mostly about being fit enough to run around a whole match at that level. Try playing on a 7v7 pitch or even 5 a side. It forces you to think quicker, to use your technique and puts you in more situations where you're directly up against one or more opponents. And most importantly its a lot more fun, it's lot faster and lets you concentrate on football rather than managing your fitness.

I think full games are best because you can find your niche whatever it may be, whereas small pitch games pretty much everyone has to play the same quick pass and move poo poo. A player who can make well timed runs into the box or is good in the air, or a winger who can cross, are all going to be marginalized in a 5 a side

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Playing fives is a great way to improve your close control, ability to beat a man and your passing and movement, everything else pretty much never improves unless you're like me and just love a good tackle anyway. Pretty much every time I play it's a pitch full of Eden Hazards.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Thank you everyone for the advice. I really liked the time/space allowed in the 11v11 matches, so I'll stick with what I started for now.

Xylorjax posted:

I've played in that CoRec league before. It's good for someone who doesn't have the on-ball confidence yet because you have a lot more time/space to take a touch, look up, and do something not poo poo with the ball.
Yeah I noticed that in the midfield, I still had time to get a touch, look around, and try to do something. Overall I really enjoyed the space of the 11v11 matches, I never really felt like I wasn't apart of the action. Although it was frustrating to see the other team score when I was in the forward position.

vaginal culture posted:

I think full games are best because you can find your niche whatever it may be, whereas small pitch games pretty much everyone has to play the same quick pass and move poo poo. A player who can make well timed runs into the box or is good in the air, or a winger who can cross, are all going to be marginalized in a 5 a side
It was nice that I got a chance to play nearly every position. I realized I really liked the defensive/midfielder role. Having the option of joining an attack or helping out on defense was really enjoyable.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
A massage, 2g of asprin and lashings of deep heat made the pain go away on my back and we beat our promotion rivals 2-1 after going behind in the first half and coming back with about 10 mins to go. I didn't have a particularly good game but did enough.

Satisfying. However the guy who washed the kit last time managed to forget to bring the goalkeeper stuff with him so I had to wear a tracksuit short and the regular shorts. Usually I wear 3/4 length padded things, and because of this muppet my knees are now cut up as the ground was bone dry.

So now my back and knees hurt, but we won and I'm tapping out for the rest of the season.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

See if you can get a game in a 5 or 7 a side once a week in addition.

You'll see a ton more of the ball and improve your touch a lot faster

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I scored with a toe-poke at 5 a side tonight :getin:

One of my team mates had gotten to the far wall, but instead of pulling it back to me he tried to score from an impossible angle. I think there was a bit of a ricochet off the keeper and I think one of the defenders, it dropped in front of my and I just stuck my leg out and stuck it in the corner

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Good shite

I tucked a through ball under the charging keeper in our last match, that poo poo was satisfying as hell

context: I am a defender and I am bad at one-timing shots

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Alctel posted:

See if you can get a game in a 5 or 7 a side once a week in addition.

You'll see a ton more of the ball and improve your touch a lot faster

Can't emphasize this enough from personal experience. It's like the difference between learning how to hit a baseball by just playing games versus going to the batting cages. I don't think a minute goes by where I don't get a touch on the ball, especially playing box to box on an indoor pitch. Your instincts start to come alive.

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014
Any defenders here? I always feel like I'm a bit out of position, and when I want to go up and confront an attacker who's on the ball I'm always certain that my help won't be there and we'll give up a goal. Also, how do you like to play a ball out of the back?

Another thing: I've been dealing with a tweaked groin (mostly subsided now). Is it just down to stretching before you play? I always feel a twinge when I overstretch to intercept a pass, go in for a tackle, or make a running pass with my non-dominant foot.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TheBigAristotle posted:

context: I am a defender and I am bad at one-timing shots

one time for your motherfucking mind!

first time shot(s) is usually what us limeys say.

blueyedevil posted:

Any defenders here? I always feel like I'm a bit out of position, and when I want to go up and confront an attacker who's on the ball I'm always certain that my help won't be there and we'll give up a goal. Also, how do you like to play a ball out of the back?

Stay goal side, get close but don't dive in, get between the attacker and the ball, jockey them out wide and you should give your other defenders time to get back into position.

blueyedevil posted:

Also, how do you like to play a ball out of the back?

It depends really, this is where communication from your co-defenders and goalkeeper really helps. If I want my defender to hoof it up the pitch I will shout 'get rid' and if they have time you'll just shout 'time'.

A somewhat golden rule is be very careful about playing balls across the pitch, if that goes wrong you can play in the attackers very easily. Not to say never do it, but it's risky, you're better off playing the ball forwards, down the channels or into the corners. If you have good wingers / full backs, playing it to feet if they're in space is better than lumping it forward. Playing it to central mid-fielders who have no time on the ball will often just result in you having to defend again quite rapidly.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

blueyedevil posted:

Another thing: I've been dealing with a tweaked groin (mostly subsided now). Is it just down to stretching before you play? I always feel a twinge when I overstretch to intercept a pass, go in for a tackle, or make a running pass with my non-dominant foot.

Depending on what type of game you're playing I would just cut off whatever pass doesn't go to their weak wing. You'll have to apply pressure though and yeah, if nobody covers you're probably getting scored on. You could always direct a teammate to challenge ball and cover his man, as long as you're comfortable cutting off the passing angle.

Groin pulls are the worst and I'd say it's more down to general flexibility than stretching before/after/midway through games. If you, like me, are just not a flexible person you're going to strain your groin every so often when you stretch out to pick a ball or disrupt a pass or shot. The most helpful things are to make sure you're staying well hydrated and activating that muscle group before games. Isolated stretching, in my experience, won't loosen you up as much as being warm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

JFairfax posted:

It depends really, this is where communication from your co-defenders and goalkeeper really helps. If I want my defender to hoof it up the pitch I will shout 'get rid' and if they have time you'll just shout 'time'.

A somewhat golden rule is be very careful about playing balls across the pitch, if that goes wrong you can play in the attackers very easily. Not to say never do it, but it's risky, you're better off playing the ball forwards, down the channels or into the corners. If you have good wingers / full backs, playing it to feet if they're in space is better than lumping it forward. Playing it to central mid-fielders who have no time on the ball will often just result in you having to defend again quite rapidly.

This is great advice, and the two things that bother me most about non-competitive soccer. It's difficult to get defenders consistently talking, especially in a helpful way. If a defender is receiving the ball and facing goal side, a simple 'time' or 'clear it' will suffice. It's also very difficult to convince people that they cannot, under any circumstances, dribble the ball up center field from inside the 18. Instead of putting yourself in a position to be contended, you get it to an outside mid or defender who has the time and liberty to make an on-ball mistake, or, in a rush, just boot it the gently caress anywhere else. It's shouldn't be a very glamorous job.