Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Rhymenoserous posted:

Just to show my age, I used to steal mouseballs.

Likewise, we once tried to turn a CRT monitor upside down while reversing the picture back to right side up in the driver, but it made the monitor go all wonky and purply and we had to run the degauss about a dozen times to sort it out. Whoops. :[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Rhymenoserous posted:

Just to show my age, I used to steal mouseballs.

Believe it or not, we still have some systems using old mice with mouseballs. I was reminded of why I hated them as soon as I tried to use it and it started skipping/stuttering because the rollers were dirty.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

I used to keep a USB ball mouse on hand because my old CEO loved clear glass conference tables.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I took a sick pleasure in cleaning the rollers, so they were nice and clean and lint-free. Until they needed cleaning again a few days later.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I used to keep a USB ball mouse on hand because my old CEO loved clear glass conference tables.

This makes way more sense than keeping a $2 mousepad.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I remember in school when the staff would superglue the mice shut, to prevent us stealing the balls. Either way, the mouse ended up unusable fairly quickly.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I have to clean out mouse ball rollers more often than I really should ever have to in 2014.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We don't throw away keyboards, so I end up cleaning between keys with rubbing alcohol. Good times.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Paladine_PSoT posted:

90% sure there are optical nice that work on glass now.

Also: clear glass tables/desks are the worst thing.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

mng posted:

I took a sick pleasure in cleaning the rollers, so they were nice and clean and lint-free. Until they needed cleaning again a few days later.

And even when you get all the crud off the rollers there's still that little wheel in the corner that gets all gunked up too and is way way harder to clean.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

AlternateAccount posted:

Also: clear glass tables/desks are the worst thing.

Clear glass sinks are the worst thing.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

GreenNight posted:

We don't throw away keyboards, so I end up cleaning between keys with rubbing alcohol. Good times.

I've run them through the company dishwasher and they come up lovely.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

spog posted:

I've run them through the company dishwasher and they come up lovely.

poo poo, you guys have a company dishwasher?!

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

deimos posted:

This makes way more sense than keeping a $2 mousepad.

That would require a mousepad on the pretty conference table.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
A tower came in...

I took one look and assumed it was a donation for the electronics recycling scrap pile and started joking about how it had seen better days. Whereupon they tell me their house burned down and they want to see if they can get pictures off it. Now I feel like a complete rear end in a top hat.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Entropic posted:

A tower came in...

I took one look and assumed it was a donation for the electronics recycling scrap pile and started joking about how it had seen better days. Whereupon they tell me their house burned down and they want to see if they can get pictures off it. Now I feel like a complete rear end in a top hat.

Very little chance smoke didn't destroy the drive, much less the heat. Good luck. :smith:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Welp, I don't think you'll be able to salvage that.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Sickening posted:

Very little chance smoke didn't destroy the drive, much less the heat. Good luck. :smith:

Eh, smoke wouldn't do much to a turned-off drive, heat on the other hand...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sickening posted:

Yeah, I told them we can look, but it's unfortunately very unlikely we'll be able to salvage anything. I haven't cracked it open yet so I don't even know if the drive is physically intact. I really doubt it. :smith:

edit:

The Importance Of Off-Site Backups dot Jay Pee Gee

Entropic fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 15, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Entropic posted:

Yeah, I told them we can look, but it's unfortunately very unlikely we'll be able to salvage anything. I haven't cracked it open yet so I don't even know if the drive is physically intact. I really doubt it. :smith:

edit:

Holy poo poo! Did the tower start the fire?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Roargasm posted:

This was a ruse to give Entropic the evidence.

You're scroogled now, entropic, sorry.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Entropic posted:

edit:

Sheeeeeeeeeit.

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~

Roargasm posted:

It was always burning.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Since the drives been turning.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

deimos posted:

Eh, smoke wouldn't do much to a turned-off drive, heat on the other hand...

With that much smoke damage? I would bet those platters are pretty stained up.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Sickening posted:

With that much smoke damage? I would bet those platters are pretty stained up.

What platters?

Think they're more of a lump now.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The best thing I can say about the drive at this point is that's it's still basically rectangular.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Entropic posted:

edit:

TheReasonMyJobExists.jpg more like it!

Back your stuff up folks!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Sickening posted:

Same thing I was thinking. This workplace is putting actual time, effort, and money into finding out who is taking a poo poo. Does this make them literal shitlords?

I think you'll find shitlord is an ableist word and you'll find yourself on the end of an EEOC complaint, sir. :goonsay:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Even if the heat didn't outright mangle the drive, wouldn't being kicked up well past its tolerance cause some magnetic poo poo to happen and data loss anyway?

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
Someone wanted a shared calendar for their group. So it got made:
All Public Folders > Company > Division > Group > "Calendar" (keep in mind that there are a half dozen independent dozen companies each with at least half a dozen divisions here, so if there was no organization it'd be a logistical clusterfuck)

Feedback came back: ":argh: It's too many clicks to get there."

Too bad, whiner. Ain't gettin' changed just because you have to click your mouse six times to see your group's calendar.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

wintermuteCF posted:

Someone wanted a shared calendar for their group. So it got made:
All Public Folders > Company > Division > Group > "Calendar" (keep in mind that there are a half dozen independent dozen companies each with at least half a dozen divisions here, so if there was no organization it'd be a logistical clusterfuck)

Feedback came back: ":argh: It's too many clicks to get there."

Too bad, whiner. Ain't gettin' changed just because you have to click your mouse six times to see your group's calendar.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Entropic posted:

A tower came in...

Clear the remains from within, clean up the inside only, load with new functional parts, enjoy your new loaner/no-notice-new-employee box.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

Even if the heat didn't outright mangle the drive, wouldn't being kicked up well past its tolerance cause some magnetic poo poo to happen and data loss anyway?
Yep. You lose data on magnetic media due to heat long before you have any actual physical damage to the drive/tape. Magnetic tape and other thin media types risk demagnetization at temperatures as low as 60C. A hard drive might be able to survive up to 70-80C.

A fireproof document safe is usually rated to keep the inner temperature below 180C for a period of time, which is the temperature where paper starts to char. It won't keep magnetic media safe though.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
so an email came in.

A bunch of potential clients for our 'cloud service' are in the office tomorrow so it is suit required dress code. Thank god I'm at the client site this week.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

blackswordca posted:

so an email came in.

A bunch of potential clients for our 'cloud service' are in the office tomorrow so it is suit required dress code. Thank god I'm at the client site this week.

Your bosses know people generally need things like audit trails in cloud services, right? I mean, it's p. much common practice.

I'm actually still trying to figure out what cloud services they would offer. I'm fairly convinced you work for compuglobalhypermeganet.

Balzac Jones
Dec 26, 2008
An email came in:

Infrastructure Guy posted:

"Last Friday around 4:30 pm our team received an alert that the switch that services the network and telephone for the second floor of the [Graduate School] Building had become unreachable.

[Technician] was sent over to investigate and found the switch had been intentionally disconnected by [Student] stating that they were using the closet for a recording and the noise from the fan was too loud. [Technician] said the person was pleading to leave it disconnected over the weekend but I told him that was not acceptable."

I just don't even...

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Your bosses know people generally need things like audit trails in cloud services, right? I mean, it's p. much common practice.

I'm actually still trying to figure out what cloud services they would offer. I'm fairly convinced you work for compuglobalhypermeganet.

this is the part I know. Each,client gets an sbs2012 virtual server with Ts access from our noc. I think there are some backup plans as well.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 16, 2014

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Collateral Damage posted:

A fireproof document safe is usually rated to keep the inner temperature below 180C for a period of time, which is the temperature where paper starts to char. It won't keep magnetic media safe though.

Wait, what?

I've been keeping my backup HDD in a fireproof safe in case of fire. Is this useless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Depends on the rating of the safe. It should be printed somewhere, probably on the inside of the door. There are basically two ratings, P and D (or DIS for some manufacturers) for paper and data respectively, prefixed by a number. A rating like 60P means the safe is designed to keep the inside temperature below 180C for 60 minutes. D rated safes are much beefier.

Edit: Apparently ratings are somewhat different in the US. Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe (or just ask your vendor what it's rated for)

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 16, 2014

• Locked thread