Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Paramemetic posted:

Literal Freemason here. Naturally I have some minor objections regarding motivations and suchlike but that was pretty on the head there. One minor point is that International Order of Odd Fellows is not a Masonic organization, they're similar but unrelated.

Anyone interested in catching up on our most maleficent conspiracies is welcome to check us out in our mysterious and well guarded thread in A/T.

:mason:

Edit: Also, I'm not an Eagle, but the Order of the Arrow was developed for Eagles when a scoutmaster who was a Mason decided that Scouting needed more Masonry. As a result, it's heavily influenced. Introduction to Masonry for young men, or secret indoctrination for foot soldiers for our new world order? You decide.

Sure, I'll trust info about the masons from a mason who has the trickster god Coyote as his avatar. I'll bet you'll try to convince me that stealth helicopters aren't real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

It's a shame you can't emptyquote... but this really deserves to be on the new page.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfQU7ZZ4hpQ

The masonic hobo in the clinic actually has a lot more dialogue, if you keep talking to him...

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

Sure, I'll trust info about the masons from a mason who has the trickster god Coyote as his avatar. I'll bet you'll try to convince me that stealth helicopters aren't real.

They've...been known for some time, unless that's part of the joke.

They were confirmed to the public after Operation Neptune Spear, back in '11.

They made a big movie about it.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I really want a fez and a small car. Americans always get the best things. :sigh:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MadDogMike posted:

Alas, if there was any cool secret society stuff in Boy Scouts I never got brought into it; only secrets I learned were open ones like "all teenage boys are pyromaniacs".

There was Order of the Arrow...which I passed on because it was to weird secret society-ish to me. There was an 'induction' ceremony I saw at a summer camp once that was really off-putting.

e -

Paramemetic posted:

Edit: Also, I'm not an Eagle, but the Order of the Arrow was developed for Eagles when a scoutmaster who was a Mason decided that Scouting needed more Masonry. As a result, it's heavily influenced. Introduction to Masonry for young men, or secret indoctrination for foot soldiers for our new world order? You decide.
Well that explains things :v:

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Life is Beautiful is such a wonderful song. Isn't that right Zach?

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

One way I've found for dealing with the upper floor of the hotel when UNATCO attacks is just hide in the secret closet (There's a button for closing it from the inside), and let Paul deal with the MiBs and soldiers since he's invincible during that section.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
I usually jump off the roof of the NSF HQ to avoid most of the fighting. If your super legs are upgraded enough, you can avoid damage by jumping down to the side of the building with the handicap ramp. If I recall, the troops outside won't even be hostile if you avoid the fighting inside.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

How could I have missed that stealth helicopters are actually a thing? I blame the illuminati. gently caress. Is Santa real? I just don't know any longer. Is anything real? :psyduck:

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Woah. Do you have a non-voiceover version?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Whoa, Michiel van den Bos liked your version? That's some serious props dude.

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY

Slimnoid posted:

Man, seriously. I should just close the comments right now, it's the only comment I need.

Prenton posted:

Woah. Do you have a non-voiceover version?

I put an mp3 of it here.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

RZApublican posted:

"You see that roman numeral? Well if you erase three of the letters IT MAKES ANOTHER NUMBER :beck:"

This is a favorite of conspiracy theorists. Removing and/or changing the first, last and at least one other letter or number to "prove" that something or other is the hidden subtext. Never mind that when you change the first, last and another letter you're making poo poo up.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Slimnoid posted:

I bet he's reading the thread, the sly bastard. :D

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

This is a favorite of conspiracy theorists. Removing and/or changing the first, last and at least one other letter or number to "prove" that something or other is the hidden subtext. Never mind that when you change the first, last and another letter you're making poo poo up.

Is there a name for that? "Editing Fallacy?"

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Speedball posted:

Is there a name for that? "Editing Fallacy?"

Apophenia.

In other news, I can now confirm that the New York chapter of Deus Ex will come to a close in two more videos.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Oh man, now I really want a mod that replaces all the music in the game with SID covers.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
...oh my god. It's you. I remember your Youtube.

I LOVED your Deadly Premonition music holy poo poo I even put your "Life Is Beautiful" version on my iPod! And wow even Van Der Bos loved it, and to be fair it is an awesome rendition. Truly I bow to you as a master of SID.

Lecture 13 made me giggle in a creepy way, so thanks for that, that was really fun. I think so far there's about five things you uncovered in this entire Let's Play I did not know of concerning Deus Ex, which is awesome cuz my god this game is so packed with tiny secrets. Also...I have no idea where you're going with the Renton thing but I have the tiniest inkling and it might JUST blow my mind a little.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There's only one thing wrong with the April Fool's Lecture and that's that Bobbin Threadbare is too chill to properly go for a "laughing mad" rant. Everything else, though…man.

Also, the ways that this game anticipates your every action is scary. I didn't know there's a unique radio from Walton Simons for "drat, you already took care of all the troops ahead of time!!"

Bluemage142
Jun 22, 2009

A little logic in the right place can cause chaos without limit.

RZApublican posted:

I've always wondered how a schizophrenic sees the dollar.

"You see that roman numeral? Well if you erase three of the letters IT MAKES ANOTHER NUMBER :beck:"

Pity the creator of that pic fell for a Dan Brown mistake. "Novo ordo seclorum" means something closer to 'new order for the ages' than 'new secular order'- completely different, and far more appropriate for a conspiracy.

The US government is as fond of borrowing iconography from old secret societies as the English language is of borrowing foreign words.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I like to imagine that all the Treasury guys get really drunk once a year and decide how they're going to gently caress with the conspiracy theorists for the next denomination redesign.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

One way I've found for dealing with the upper floor of the hotel when UNATCO attacks is just hide in the secret closet (There's a button for closing it from the inside), and let Paul deal with the MiBs and soldiers since he's invincible during that section.

This is what I always did. Paul can take care of himself, and as long as you don't let him get TOO far ahead of you he'll kill everyone with ease.

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY

wiegieman posted:

I like to imagine that all the Treasury guys get really drunk once a year and decide how they're going to gently caress with the conspiracy theorists for the next denomination redesign.

This is one conspiracy I can get behind.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Speedball posted:

Also, the ways that this game anticipates your every action is scary. I didn't know there's a unique radio from Walton Simons for "drat, you already took care of all the troops ahead of time!!"
It's one of the biggest things about this game that makes it awesome. Despite its linearity concerning the actual plot as Bobbin mentioned in that you HAVE to eventually follow Paul's path because JC loves his brother far more than politics, the little particular details revolving around the main story are interchangeable to an amazing extent.
I actually forgot about Walton Simons replying about how you take care of troops ahead of time, that's amazing. This game is amazing as to how many tiny changes in conversation there are, but those tiny changes make the world so much more vivid in how you feel your actions take influence.

It's one thing to go one path or the other, but when people are actually aware of the exact things you're doing, that's when you feel like you're making a difference in this game.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Hey, I did that for a while when I was manic! Mostly just applying song lyrics to my homebrew D&D setting, so maybe I'm bad at conspiracies. I printed lyrics out and underlined and extrapolated poo poo and everything. Being crazy is weird, sometimes.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

FinalGamer posted:

It's one of the biggest things about this game that makes it awesome. Despite its linearity concerning the actual plot as Bobbin mentioned in that you HAVE to eventually follow Paul's path because JC loves his brother far more than politics, the little particular details revolving around the main story are interchangeable to an amazing extent.
I actually forgot about Walton Simons replying about how you take care of troops ahead of time, that's amazing. This game is amazing as to how many tiny changes in conversation there are, but those tiny changes make the world so much more vivid in how you feel your actions take influence.

It's one thing to go one path or the other, but when people are actually aware of the exact things you're doing, that's when you feel like you're making a difference in this game.

There's also the fact that the game doesn't always spell out your options for you, so when you do something you aren't told to do, like kill Navarre in the airplane or cover Paul's escape from Hell's Kitchen, you get to feel clever for having found an alternative and the game itself comes off as clever for having anticipated your decision.

This is in direct contrast to, say, Fable III, where every single choice has a clearly labeled good and evil option provided for you by the clearly labeled good and evil representatives and you cannot even consider doing anything else until the choice is made.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

There's also the fact that the game doesn't always spell out your options for you, so when you do something you aren't told to do, like kill Navarre in the airplane or cover Paul's escape from Hell's Kitchen, you get to feel clever for having found an alternative and the game itself comes off as clever for having anticipated your decision.

This is in direct contrast to, say, Fable III, where every single choice has a clearly labeled good and evil option provided for you by the clearly labeled good and evil representatives and you cannot even consider doing anything else until the choice is made.
Exactly, and the clash that you develop between yourself and the game Deus Ex actually becomes more or less the same clash as JC Denton versus the growing conspiracy. You yourself are disobeying what the game EXPECTS you to do, once you start trying to be clever and go alternate routes or just gently caress with protocol like killing Anna Navarre at the airplane. THEN when the game anticipates your actions ahead of time, you either get even MORE rebellious, or you just lay low and go with the flow waiting for an opportunity.

I almost feel that in the way the game allows you to take any path towards your destination, it almost teaches you to be rebellious and distrustful of those above you, or rather not to be so blind and obey every single thing you're asked to do, question basically. Question everything, never be subservient and allow your mind to try and figure out everything before choosing what to do.
Once you start realising that this game more or less doesn't restrict you from either killing everyone or NOT killing everyone, you start trying to mold your own pathway through trying to dare the game to stop you.

And that's one of the things I really love about Deus Ex. It has the freedom of making you feel like you are your own person, trying to face the ongrowing wave of a greater evil that slowly but surely is affecting everyone you know. Maybe I'm gushing on too much about it but this is one of those games that basically changed my entire world view back when I was 14 and it's never stopped influencing me since.
And I don't mean politically, I more mean philosophically because I'm too stupid to understand politics which is why I love the Corner sections so I can learn more about the processes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, when a buddy of mine and I first got to the bit in Hell's Kitchen, we were both absolutely sure Paul was a dead man no matter what we did, and that staying with him was probably going to be a hopeless boss fight or something. It increased investment a lot to realize that we'd actually saved Paul; even if it doesn't change the story a ton, when you combine it with being able to explore and poke into corners very widely, Deus Ex comes off as really, really big beyond what you expected.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
FinalGamer: and that's what's really genius about the game- you could see this aspect of gameplay as an allegory for the overt themes of the story. You can rebel and conspire in small ways, but all the while someone else (the game designers) are calling the shots that shape the broad strokes of the story.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

You certainly did. Stuffed it in my favorites to ensure I will never forget it, either.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

boo

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

"Typhoid, rattlers, and now drownin' in rivers? I think we need ourselves a new leader, or we're goin' the way o' the Donner Party."

Pvt.Scott posted:

Hey, I did that for a while when I was manic! Mostly just applying song lyrics to my homebrew D&D setting, so maybe I'm bad at conspiracies. I printed lyrics out and underlined and extrapolated poo poo and everything. Being crazy is weird, sometimes.

I had apophenia during a manic phase too, and started seeing patterns of the same number everywhere (seems like the number was 42 actually) and went from there to wanting to start a parody religion/philosophical movement based on Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. After a few hours of rambling to my friends and bouncing ideas off them I got zapped back to reality when another friend said "Well, 1 in every 100 numbers is 42, so of course you'll see it a lot." Took the wind out of my sails, but it was fun while it lasted. Certainly gives someone a new perspective on how the brain functions when you experience weird poo poo like that. On the other hand it only makes me want to be a psychologist even more to help people that wind up paranoid as hell from it.

I'm a little irked seeing this latest part because I went through the whole base thinking I COULDN'T knock any troops out ahead of time or I'd set everyone to hostile, so I had a hell of a time getting out of there non-lethally once I hacked the signal.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Please don't bother people with dumb memes online.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Crazy Dastard posted:

I had apophenia during a manic phase too, and started seeing patterns of the same number everywhere (seems like the number was 42 actually) and went from there to wanting to start a parody religion/philosophical movement based on Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. After a few hours of rambling to my friends and bouncing ideas off them I got zapped back to reality when another friend said "Well, 1 in every 100 numbers is 42, so of course you'll see it a lot." Took the wind out of my sails, but it was fun while it lasted. Certainly gives someone a new perspective on how the brain functions when you experience weird poo poo like that. On the other hand it only makes me want to be a psychologist even more to help people that wind up paranoid as hell from it.

I'm a little irked seeing this latest part because I went through the whole base thinking I COULDN'T knock any troops out ahead of time or I'd set everyone to hostile, so I had a hell of a time getting out of there non-lethally once I hacked the signal.

That exists, but for 47.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ensign Expendable posted:

That exists, but for 47.
I think you mean 21.

Or 81.

Or 17.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Thirty seven. The number follows me around, and I used to obsess about it but then I got over it.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
What was that one lovely Jim Carrey movie where he went all apopheniac and ruined his family's life?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

The Casualty posted:

What was that one lovely Jim Carrey movie where he went all apopheniac and ruined his family's life?

You're thinking of 23.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

biosterous posted:

Thirty seven. The number follows me around, and I used to obsess about it but then I got over it.

Interesting that I didn't see it mentioned except in passing on this site (not that I looked too hard), but if you ask someone to pick a two-digit odd number that is not the same two digits, '37' is the most common response. Martin Gardner mentions this somewhere in one of his books that has a 'clairvoyance test', where almost all of the questions use tricks similar to this one.

This has less to do with the mystic powers of a number or some collective consciousness and more to do with the fact that people are bad at generating randomness.

• Locked thread