Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tiggum posted:

Blondie

Taxes do not work that way!
I'm impressed he can raise a family on $17,850 or less. I pay more in rent on a studio every year. (:()

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Thanks to my blushing bride, our taxes were filed back in February. She's just like that. And our taxes are kind of a pain because self-employment. Although, she's had 24 years of practice at it, so she's pretty good. :v:

I always knew Moon Maid was legit. Why are her eyes all spinny, though? I've always wondered that.

I think "Lost Side of Suburbia" is cool, but I'm not gonna pee myself if it only gets posted three times a week.

However, I DO MISS DAN DARE BITCHTITS, OMGWHEREAREYOUIMDYINGHERE!!!!!

In other news...

:stonklol:

Jane's World

Off we go into the next flashback. I really do like it when Paige draws Jane in a more realistic (rather than "comical") manner. It looks really slick.

Non Sequitur

Yep. "The only things that are certain are... "

Heavenly Nostrils

Kliban's Cats

Cyriak would love this.

9 Chickweed Lane 4/15/2003

Escape what? The fact that you've turned into the grumpy old bitch that your mother is?

Zits

On a whim, Jeremy, just get her a large fries instead of a small the next time you're out. You'll be regal for at least a week. :v:

Kevin & Kell

Easter. Yes of course. There're some serious "Fi's eyes" going on there in the first panel.

Nemi

Celebrate by binge eating, drinking, and smoking Cyan! And, I can't be bothered to GIS it, but have there really been studies that support that idea?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac I still think he's imaginary.

The Creeps are still doing a thing.

Candorville has been weaponized, it's that lovely. Here's more of that chucklefuck strawmanning for you.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Please tell me I can't be the only one seeing the (I'm pretty sure) mannequin as a Real Doll®, right? I don't know, it just seems that if one of the Creeps had a legitimate job, it would probably be in a Real Doll manufacturing plant.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Referencing Real Dolls is a shortcut to creepiness, and not worthy of the strip.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Because it sucks.
If that were enough I'd be in a permanent state of rage when reading comics.

Mechahamster posted:

Is it the terrible art, the lazy, unfunny joke or the awful delivery?
Again, that alone would not be enough. I see comics that fit that description several times a day and I just keep scrolling.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Thanks to my blushing bride, our taxes were filed back in February. She's just like that. And our taxes are kind of a pain because self-employment. Although, she's had 24 years of practice at it, so she's pretty good. :v:
I don't understand why you'd put off doing your taxes. Just get it done and out of the way, and then the government sends you some money (that you previously gave to them but ignore that and just pretend its free money).

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I don't do my taxes because am a profoundly lazy person, to the point of self-destruction. Personal Revelation Comix.

Pooch Café

Look at the fuckin new guy over here.

Ballard Street

I am so not this guy right now.

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

There's got to be a goon with the username Walter Woogums, right?

GIS results were kind of disappointing.

Calvin And Hobbes

Shaenon K. Garrity and Jeffrey C. Wells' Skin Horse: The spiritual successor to Minimum Security?

Rick Stromoski's Soup To Nutz: A strip without a joke.

Same deal with Len Borozinski's Speechless.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Darthemed posted:

Same deal with Len Borozinski's Speechless.

What?

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

The weeds on the sidewalk are all gone.

It's not very funny.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

It's just "energy waste" in Finnish.

Fok_It

There is no way to translate this, least of all in any way that would be funny. Immature Easter "brainstorming" that devolves into absurdity.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 15, 2014

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

I swear we've seen this one already.

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

I was honestly so enthralled with the current storyarc that I forgot all about a certain vocabulary issue, but it was like meeting an old friend again. It simply will never get old. :allears:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

I was honestly so enthralled with the current storyarc that I forgot all about a certain vocabulary issue, but it was like meeting an old friend again. It simply will never get old. :allears:

I still have no idea if all the innuendo is intentional or not.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

So the phantom's foolproof amnesia plan could be ruined if, say, the bartender said something like "hey you two going out into the jungle again?"

This plotline is atrocious.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (January 25, 1927)

Peanuts, in which America's Favorite Beagle unveils another of his dark and eldritch powers. (April 18, 1967)

And yes, that's the appropriate reaction for a Cub Scout theologian to have.

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Okay, now there's a 50% chance of this getting interesting.

Bump that up to at least 85% for Rip Haywire.

Pogo (April 17, 1956)

And that's why we keep getting into trouble with Twitter.

Out Our Way (October 22-23, 1924)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 15, 2014

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
That is the first time we have seen Pop-Eye from the front, right?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Please tell me I can't be the only one seeing the (I'm pretty sure) mannequin as a Real Doll®, right? I don't know, it just seems that if one of the Creeps had a legitimate job, it would probably be in a Real Doll manufacturing plant.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Referencing Real Dolls is a shortcut to creepiness, and not worthy of the strip.

All I know is, it doesn't really matter what the original intention of the strip is because my mind has been completely ruined by all those dollfucker threads featuring the brain-damaged dude who REALLY liked mannequins.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

So this whole storyline is, "What? You want to know more about your beloved father who died before you ever had a chance to get to know or even remember him? Yes, I remember him. He was a total loving shitlord and I'm glad he got murdered."

Nice.

Luann

If only.

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

Oh, Faye, you're twelve years old. You don't have to pretend to know who Wang Chung were. :glomp:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008

skipThings posted:

From here.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

If only.
Being a colourist seems like it would be super easy.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Being a colourist seems like it would be super easy.

I guess they thought a big red splash of blood would be too much for the delicate sensibilities of the comic-strip-reading public.

Also, Prom Makeup Luann in the second panel looks all kinds of weird.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

skipThings posted:

Maybe not the first time it ever happened, but possibly the first time in the set of strips we've been following. I do get your point, though. At some point by 1930, Elzie Segar had to be thinking "How the hell am I going to get this gargoyle in anything but a 3/4 profile?"

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 15, 2014

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Drakyn posted:

Any bets on his reaction following this observation when the book's creepy guy nobody likes who hides alone in a dark place ends up saving the two kids rather than threatening to eat them? I'm betting either abject shame or table-flipping anger.

Does anything actually loving happen in this strip? Kid is lost, other kid gets trapped with brother, now they are reading books to a monster. And have been for weeks. Zach Nixon might have horrible art but at least poo poo happens.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Selachian posted:

I guess they thought a big red splash of blood would be too much for the delicate sensibilities of the comic-strip-reading public.

I will NEVER get tired of correcting people by saying that most daily strips are intended for black and white print, and there's not much a colourist can do with a something that's already been filled in with black. I live for this poo poo.
Also:

It's me I'm Tiggum.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Does anything actually loving happen in this strip? Kid is lost, other kid gets trapped with brother, now they are reading books to a monster. And have been for weeks. Zach Nixon might have horrible art but at least poo poo happens.

Give it a little bit, it really is better to read it in one sitting, and compared to nixon, at least it HAS a cohesive plot.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I've always thought of myself as kind of a boring person but every time they do one of these strips I say a little prayer of thanks that I'm not boring enough to think that putting some jalapeņo on a sandwich is an act worthy of a 'badass' biker alter-ego.

I recall when I was a lad that the biker alter-ego appeared only rarely. I mean, poo poo never really gets real in Rose is Rose, but when it got about as real as it would get, that's when we got the biker. It was always kind of surprising to see it come out when you were six years old.

Now, it's basically every other strip she's in. Same thing with the Avenging Angel version of the guardian angel. That stuff loses its impact when you do it all the time! But I guess it's the only way to make anything even vaguely interesting happen in the strip.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Selachian posted:

I think it's because she normally doesn't have any lip definition in the day to day strip, now she looks like a blonde version of her mom.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

Oh, Faye, you're twelve years old. You don't have to pretend to know who Wang Chung were. :glomp:

Until recently, she spent a lot of time at the Forth house. I'd be surprised if she didn't know who Wang Chung were.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Other than Zits, Stone Soup and Luanne, how many comics feature two black/dark haired parents with a blonde or ginger child? How common is that actually in real life, I thought dark hair was usually dominant.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Bismuth posted:

Other than Zits, Stone Soup and Luanne, how many comics feature two black/dark haired parents with a blonde or ginger child? How common is that actually in real life, I thought dark hair was usually dominant.

Sally Forth, for one.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Stultus Maximus posted:

Sally Forth, for one.

I thought Ted had light or blond hair, or is it a different kid/family with that setup?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Bismuth posted:

I thought Ted had light or blond hair, or is it a different kid/family with that setup?

I've seen it colored as light brown but, well, colorists.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Bismuth posted:

Pretty common. Dark hair is dominant, but you only need one gene, not two. (really simplified genetics) but if both parents have one dark hair and one light hair, they have a 1 out of 4 chance of having a light hair kid. There's also the whole thing where a lot of people born blonde end up with dark hair once they hit puberty or so. Luann could be dying her hair to keep her younger color!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
9 Junji Lane.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

Something just dawned on me; where are they going to the bathroom?

• Locked thread