Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

spog posted:

Wait, what?

I've been keeping my backup HDD in a fireproof safe in case of fire. Is this useless?

Pretty much. You need something specifically rated for electronic media, but even then most of those safes will only be rated for protection against fire of a certain max temperature for 30min to an hour.

And this is why I have a CrashPlan subscription.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Collateral Damage posted:

Depends on the rating of the safe. It should be printed somewhere, probably on the inside of the door. There are basically two ratings, P and D (or DIS for some manufacturers) for paper and data respectively, prefixed by a number. A rating like 60P means the safe is designed to keep the inside temperature below 180C for 60 minutes. D rated safes are much beefier.

Edit: Apparently ratings are somewhat different in the US. Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe (or just ask your vendor what it's rated for)

quote:

Class 350

The safe sustains an internal atmosphere of less than 350 °F (177 °C) and 85% humidity. This is the most basic of U.L. tests and specifically tests for the storage of paper. The ignition point of paper is 450 °F (232 °C), so this safe is sufficient for storage of paper. Cases can be purchased that will meet Class 125, if they are placed inside a Class 350 safe. These class ratings are used in conjunction with hour ratings such as: ½, 1, 2, 3, or 4.

I can't find a definite answer, but I am getting the feeling that the 350-1hr rating on my safe means that my HDDs and flash backup are not protected against fire. Bugger.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Almost every place I've worked at has stored their backups in non-data rated safes. And honestly you're better off storing your backups off-site than spending tons of money on a data rated safe because even that is no guarantee that your backups will be readable after a fire. If you store your stuff in geographically different locations the risk of losing both your live data and your backups at the same time goes down drastically.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

(or just ask your vendor what it's rated for)
"Uh yes hello. I'm inquiring into whether you can provide a fire-proof safe that can keep the contents around ~80F and also can withstand large explosions and is preferably lead lined. Do you have something like that?"

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

90% sure there are optical nice that work on glass now.

Also: clear glass tables/desks are the worst thing.

Yeah god I don't want the accounting chick to see me groping myself during the meeting.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Clear the remains from within, clean up the inside only, load with new functional parts, enjoy your new loaner/no-notice-new-employee box.

I'd honestly clean it up and use the case myself. I think it looks pretty rad. Here's my post apocalyptic pc.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yeah god I don't want the accounting chick to see me groping myself during the meeting.

They look absolutely lovely with any form of cabling regardless of cable management.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Plus they gather dust and fingerprints like nothing else.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

"Uh yes hello. I'm inquiring into whether you can provide a fire-proof safe that can keep the contents around ~80F and also can withstand large explosions and is preferably lead lined. Do you have something like that?"
"Yes we can provide that. It's going to cost.. are you sitting down?"

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

A user can't get into his time card (Kronos). As usual, the problem is internet explorer. I load it up in chrome and it works fine so I tell him our usual fix for this: use Chrome to access it. He thanks me, and I leave. Not ten minutes later he calls me up and says it's not working anymore. I go over and he's loaded it up in IE again. :cripes:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Great Beer posted:

A user can't get into his time card (Kronos). As usual, the problem is internet explorer. I load it up in chrome and it works fine so I tell him our usual fix for this: use Chrome to access it. He thanks me, and I leave. Not ten minutes later he calls me up and says it's not working anymore. I go over and he's loaded it up in IE again. :cripes:
I just... are these people high? Like, just freshly smoked a joint high?

People with short memories confuse me. I think thought that it's not really a short memory problem and a more of a inability to change behavior or even hear someone elses input.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

They look absolutely lovely with any form of cabling regardless of cable management.

We have a ridiculous giant white glass table and it's honestly not nearly as terrible as I thought it was going to be. I can't imagine trying to make it not look like garbage if it was clear though.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

KoRMaK posted:

I just... are these people high? Like, just freshly smoked a joint high?

People with short memories confuse me. I think thought that it's not really a short memory problem and a more of a inability to change behavior or even hear someone elses input.

Many "non-IT" people see computer tasks as rote memorization, there's no thinking involved. I click there, push that, get result. If anything goes wrong or result isn't as expected, shut down and throw your arms up "it's not working!" rather than do something like remember a fix or read the error message and process that information.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, a lot of people have just never internalized basic computing concepts that we take for granted and have a hard time thinking beyond "what button do I push to get the result I want".

I routinely run into people who have been using Windows + Office in a business environment for 5 to 20 years but are blown away by things like CTRL+C CTRL+V or "select all" or god help you if you try to explain shift+ / control+ clicking selection to them.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

This one was actually a clear glass-topped bifurcated airplane wing like this, but black.

Cable management was actually done by putting some holes in the center of the glass then dropping in some custom retractable patches for electricity/data/video and the rest was routed through the wing's normal cable management channels and down through the feet to a junction box in the floor. It was really, really nice but opticals just didn't work on it for poo poo.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Balzac Jones posted:

An email came in:

Infrastructure Guy posted:

"Last Friday around 4:30 pm our team received an alert that the switch that services the network and telephone for the second floor of the [Graduate School] Building had become unreachable.

[Technician] was sent over to investigate and found the switch had been intentionally disconnected by [Student] stating that they were using the closet for a recording and the noise from the fan was too loud. [Technician] said the person was pleading to leave it disconnected over the weekend but I told him that was not acceptable."

I just don't even...

You let students just wander into networking closets?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Entropic posted:

Yeah, a lot of people have just never internalized basic computing concepts that we take for granted and have a hard time thinking beyond "what button do I push to get the result I want".

I just put a shortcut on his desktop that opens chrome to his time card and told him to use that. Getting people like that to learn is like pushing rope. They don't want to learn so I might as well not waste any more time on it.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Entropic posted:

I routinely run into people who have been using Windows + Office in a business environment for 5 to 20 years but are blown away by things like CTRL+C CTRL+V or "select all" or god help you if you try to explain shift+ / control+ clicking selection to them.
Haha yea. Or ctrl-x, windows-d, windows-tab, alt-tab, ctrl-tab and the variations that you can throw in with shift to cycle backwards.

Also ctrl-z and ctrl-shift-z

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Paladine_PSoT posted:

This one was actually a clear glass-topped bifurcated airplane wing like this, but black.

Cable management was actually done by putting some holes in the center of the glass then dropping in some custom retractable patches for electricity/data/video and the rest was routed through the wing's normal cable management channels and down through the feet to a junction box in the floor. It was really, really nice but opticals just didn't work on it for poo poo.

Well that's a horse of a different color! I'm so used to the "Minimalist" glass top tables that allow you to gaze into the innards of the cable management track on the desk and into each others laps where theres invariably a cellphone, a rubber, or other varying distractions in hellishly long "yay team" meetings

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Entropic posted:

Tying into this, why does it seem like only maybe 25% of Mac users actually know what they're doing with their Mac? I've got a client with a user that ran into some issues after she tried to give herself admin permissions on a Mac - rebooted it after the change, now her account can't log in. The MSP I work for doesn't work with many Macs (yeah, kinda stupid) and we don't have resources that know things in-depth, usually it's an install/uninstall of a program or something small. I sent instructions I'd found over to the main manager, figuring that since he uses a Mac daily, he'd know something about it or be able to get another Mac user there to assist.

Nope, his response was literally "this is beyond my experience level, let's get this user a new Mac setup instead. By the way, can you help install all her programs? :downs:"

Jesus H Christ on a pogo stick, LEARN HOW TO DO MORE THAN LOG INTO THE GODDAMN MAC YOU HAVE

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
One of the prior acct. managers I worked with decided that a user should get a Mac because computers were hard. Fast forward 2 months and we still get calls on how to perform the simplest of fucntions. In addition the user actually needs windows to perform daily tasks so they set up a VM within the Mac environment and he can barely activate that software and :aaaaa:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Ozz81 posted:

Tying into this, why does it seem like only maybe 25% of Mac users actually know what they're doing with their Mac? I've got a client with a user that ran into some issues after she tried to give herself admin permissions on a Mac - rebooted it after the change, now her account can't log in. The MSP I work for doesn't work with many Macs (yeah, kinda stupid) and we don't have resources that know things in-depth, usually it's an install/uninstall of a program or something small. I sent instructions I'd found over to the main manager, figuring that since he uses a Mac daily, he'd know something about it or be able to get another Mac user there to assist.

Nope, his response was literally "this is beyond my experience level, let's get this user a new Mac setup instead. By the way, can you help install all her programs? :downs:"

Jesus H Christ on a pogo stick, LEARN HOW TO DO MORE THAN LOG INTO THE GODDAMN MAC YOU HAVE

I should be amazed that she managed to lock herself out of her account since you literally check a box to make yourself an admin but at this point I'm not surprised.

I once had a user corrupt OpenDirectoryConfig.framework in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks and prevent himself from logging in. That was a fun fix.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Entropic posted:

god help you if you try to explain shift+ / control+ clicking selection to them.

God help me too then, because I'm not sure what you're referring to. I selected some text in a Word document, and ctrl-clicking just deselects it. Shift-click just moves the end of the selection to wherever I clicked in the document.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

stubblyhead posted:

God help me too then, because I'm not sure what you're referring to. I selected some text in a Word document, and ctrl-clicking just deselects it. Shift-click just moves the end of the selection to wherever I clicked in the document.

O_O

Please Don't Troll

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

stubblyhead posted:

Icons

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I still get at least one call every week where a user (this is in a school district where everyone uses macs) has no idea how to right click / 2 finger click / control click to get a contextual menu to do a simple thing.

Edit : and the techs rotate on helpdesk, so at the very most I'm only ever on helpdesk twice a week.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 16, 2014

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Oh, that. He kind of segued out of Office functionality there and I didn't catch it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ozz81 posted:

I really despise people who refuse to learn about the devices they use every day of their lives. I'm not saying everyone has to be a technology expert, but if you depend on something, learn a few things about it at least. I don't know of a single object or piece of technology I own that I don't know at least a few things about and how to troubleshoot. Maybe because I'm technologically and mechanically inclined. Seriously though, I buy a car and I learn about it. What it has and what issues it has. I buy a phone and figure out everything I can do with it.

I don't understand how someone can have something and just treat it like an appliance.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Cojawfee posted:

I really despise people who refuse to learn about the devices they use every day of their lives. I'm not saying everyone has to be a technology expert, but if you depend on something, learn a few things about it at least. I don't know of a single object or piece of technology I own that I don't know at least a few things about and how to troubleshoot. Maybe because I'm technologically and mechanically inclined. Seriously though, I buy a car and I learn about it. What it has and what issues it has. I buy a phone and figure out everything I can do with it.

I don't understand how someone can have something and just treat it like an appliance.

I know a lot of troubleshooting steps for stuff I own because when it breaks, I pay attention to how it gets fixed. Like, I can solve pretty much any problem with my cable box because when I am on the phone with the people helping me fix it I don't go into a fugue state.

It's not that hard.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Inspector_666 posted:

I know a lot of troubleshooting steps for stuff I own because when it breaks, I pay attention to how it gets fixed. Like, I can solve pretty much any problem with my cable box because when I am on the phone with the people helping me fix it I don't go into a fugue state.

It's not that hard.

Cable box troubleshooting steps:

Tighten wires, reboot box. (If most people were smart enough to do this I'm pretty ISPs would get half the calls they normally do)

What gets me are people who don't even try. If we're going to continue with the car analogies, it's like if my tire pressure light went on. Even though I know jack poo poo about cars, well, maybe I should check my tire pressure.

The best part of not having users anymore is not having to deal with the "Help a box popped up what do I do?", when it's a confirmation dialogue box, UAC or something simple like that.

I tried to open the internet and it says "Do you want to open Internet Explorer? Yes/No" I don't know what to do!!!!! Just make it work!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Renegret posted:

Tighten wires, reboot box. (If most people were smart enough to do this I'm pretty ISPs would get half the calls they normally do)

What gets me are people who don't even try. If we're going to continue with the car analogies, it's like if my tire pressure light went on. Even though I know jack poo poo about cars, well, maybe I should check my tire pressure.

The best part of not having users anymore is not having to deal with the "Help a box popped up what do I do?", when it's a confirmation dialogue box, UAC or something simple like that.

I tried to open the internet and it says "Do you want to open Internet Explorer? Yes/No" I don't know what to do!!!!! Just make it work!

:byodame: help my outlook is in offline mode
:) Can you click on the notification that says it's in offline mode?
:byodame: that fixed it thanks!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Renegret posted:

There's also a channel I can tune to that has some backend-ish settings that can help. But yeah, it's usually pretty straightforward.

The place I used to work had a homebrew remote access thing that people could download from our website. It was just a self-contained exe that popped up a window that had NOTHING on it except "Double click here to begin the remote support session."

The majority of people would read that text aloud to me over the phone, pause, and then ask "What do I do?"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Inspector_666 posted:

There's also a channel I can tune to that has some backend-ish settings that can help. But yeah, it's usually pretty straightforward.

Yeah, with my ISP (and the one I work for) you have to press a certain button combo on the box instead. That being said, there's nothing in there your average user will be able to make good use out of and I wouldn't hold it against anyone for not checking.

But for gently caress's sake at least try and reboot the thing first. Those things are so finicky and any change in their environment will require a reboot for it to work properly.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
All the Surfaces came in and I was excited about the idea of being able to control them all using Workplace Join.

Imagine my surprise when Workplace Join isn't supported by Server NT :downs:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

:byodame: help my outlook is in offline mode
:) Can you click on the notification that says it's in offline mode?
:byodame: that fixed it thanks!

I had someone spend most of a day staring at Firefox' "Offline" screen. You know the one, the one that says how to go online and get back to working. This user was a director too. Marketing of course.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mllaneza posted:

I had someone spend most of a day staring at Firefox' "Offline" screen. You know the one, the one that says how to go online and get back to working. This user was a director too. Marketing of course.

Windows has spent the past two decades training people that error messages will be inscrutable and useless; so when a user gets an error message that actually explains precisely what the problem is and how to fix it, they probably won't read it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Inspector_666 posted:

It's not that hard.

Yeah, you're in an industry that requires a measure of intelligence, curiosity and desire to learn in order to do well. We want to know WHY poo poo happens, and we want to learn how to prevent/fix it. It's just the way we think, so it feels natural. I have a hard time fathoming, on a gut level, why someone wouldn't want to know how to handle basic problems with technology that they use literally all day. It's an entirely alien mindset, being completely uninterested in learning, but it's apparently very common.

I mean, I don't know poo poo about cars beyond basic maintenance steps. So I have a mechanic. When I have to take my car to him, I ask questions. I had to have my head gasket replaced recently (oof) and when he gave it back I asked to see the part he replaced and inquired as to why it would suddenly develop leaks like that. And he was happy to tell me, and I learned something (2000-era Subaru with well-known faulty gasket material that corrodes). If nothing else, I like to know why something broke so that if it's my fault, I can stop doing whatever it is I did to break it in the first place!

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
There is pretty good money in hosting things like business ERPs from folks like myself who don't have the time or knowledge to implement proper security and availability. The assumption would be (was...) that a firm like this would create a more secure network with better uptime than I could pull off internally. Unfortunately, I ended up with a company who patches on Monday mornings, puts phantom charges on our Amex, and is just plain Slow all around. I was going to reel it back in next year, but maybe I should go with Blacksword's company instead :downs:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Che Delilas posted:

Yeah, you're in an industry that requires a measure of intelligence, curiosity and desire to learn in order to do well. We want to know WHY poo poo happens, and we want to learn how to prevent/fix it. It's just the way we think, so it feels natural. I have a hard time fathoming, on a gut level, why someone wouldn't want to know how to handle basic problems with technology that they use literally all day. It's an entirely alien mindset, being completely uninterested in learning, but it's apparently very common.
I think this is a big part of IT people's frustration. I find it completely unfathomable when people aren't willing to take a bit of initiative and loving read the words in front of them or poke some buttons to see what happens. My thought process is just incompatible with that (lack of) thought process. I also fix my own car, home, pinball machines, whatever else I take an interest in and also build stuff because I want to know how and why stuff works, don't trust strangers much, and don't want to pay someone else to do something I can do unless it's a really lovely job and labor for it is cheap (roofing for example).

Fixing cars or really anything you encounter in day to day life isn't any harder than fixing a computer you just need the right tools and a basic understanding of how the system works which you gain the same way you originally gained your computer knowledge. Dive right in and figure that poo poo out.

That said there are plenty of things I do not understand at all like fashion, art, movies, and poo poo like that. People start talking about those subjects and I can't do anything but stare blankly because I don't understand a single bit of what they are on about. So in that respect I can understand why a lot of users are like that even if I don't understand how they can think that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I finally gathered my balls enough to confront my supervisor about us running server nt.

:v: "So, are we ever hoping to upgrade from Server NT, because drat, dude."
:downs: "Um... sometime?"
:v: "I'm really wanting to set up an AD with some group policy settings to make my job a little easier. Plus, we can use the server to manipulate our new bunch of Surfaces all at once instead of me doing them one at a time."
:downs: "They aren't on the domain, they're on the open wireless."
:v: "I know, I'd like to get some wireless domain access for those devices if we can upgrade to a server made after 1998."
:downs: "You can't add the wireless to the domain, so it wouldn't make any sense. It's fine the way it is." [walks away]
:suicide:

Word for word. I love my job :smith:

• Locked thread