Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Frank Karsten had an interesting U/B heroic deck that can do crazy things with a Pain Seer, hidden strings, and Springleaf Drum that might have a place for a few copies of the disciple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Honestly being able to discard a dsphere or a dissolve to tutor up revelation is not the worst thing you could do in standard.

even if you have to wait 2 turns to do it

seems like a very control-mirror sort of card

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Korak posted:

Why couldn't the Elk be Tap for GG? Two mana dork with one toughness? Why would you run this over Voyaging Satyr or Caratid or even Manaswift Sliver?

2cc that ramps for two mana, with a reasonable 2/1 body, at common, would probably be pushing it a bit at limited.

Edit: I mean we've had Joraga Treespeaker so that level of power is definitely printable at common, but I don't think there's anything really wrong with where the Elk is at.

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 16, 2014

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Would've been nice if the Golden elk could tap for any mana color.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Pontius Pilate posted:

Would've been nice if the Golden elk could tap for any mana color.

It certainly feels like it did that at one point given the fact it's a 1 toughtness 2cc creature.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

A big flaming stink posted:

Honestly being able to discard a dsphere or a dissolve to tutor up revelation is not the worst thing you could do in standard.

even if you have to wait 2 turns to do it

seems like a very control-mirror sort of card

In Phenax wall decks, it lets you discard extra Phenax for 5cc Jace. Or extra 2 drops for your singleton Dimir Guildmage finisher.

I will be playing this sucker.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Playing mono white splashing red, how can I combat against T2 caraytid, T3 courser? I am playtesting against my friends g/r monsters deck and I keep getting facerolled. I am seriously thinking of playing firedrinker satyrs because of this, I think I need help.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Chained to the rocks for Courser/Bigger stuff, voltron up a dude with enchantments is probably your best bet. Celestial Flare for sideboard.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Samael posted:

Playing mono white splashing red, how can I combat against T2 caraytid, T3 courser? I am playtesting against my friends g/r monsters deck and I keep getting facerolled. I am seriously thinking of playing firedrinker satyrs because of this, I think I need help.

Madcap Skills will help you push early damage. Once Courser hits, you have to remove him in order to make sure their life gain doesn't get out of control. If you're primarily white, Brave the Elements through their creatures for the last bits of damage whenever you can.

Really, though. It is just a really hard match-up.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Madcap Skills will help you push early damage. Once Courser hits, you have to remove him in order to make sure their life gain doesn't get out of control. If you're primarily white, Brave the Elements through their creatures for the last bits of damage whenever you can.

Really, though. It is just a really hard match-up.

I am going to add 3 mizzium mortars for stormbreaths and coursers and add pithing needle plus renounce the guilds to the sideboard for zenagos and domri.

Samael fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 16, 2014

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Strength of The Fallen
1G
Enchantment
Constellation - Whenever Strength of The Fallen or another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, target creature gets +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the number of creature cards in your graveyard.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Kabanaw posted:

Strength of The Fallen
1G
Enchantment
Constellation - Whenever Strength of The Fallen or another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, target creature gets +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the number of creature cards in your graveyard.

Constellation: Target creature becomes a baby Nighthowler until end of turn :getin:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic, but that card seems pretty bad to me.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Why couldn't it have been on a body to begin with? The fact that it's not a creature means it doesn't play well with the one deck it belongs in.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cactrot posted:

Constellation: Target creature becomes a baby Nighthowler until end of turn :getin:

Constellation: Every Green Deck is now BG Dredge. :getin: :getin:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Elyv posted:

It's very conditionally good. It CAN be really useful, but only if you build around it to have enough enchantments to trigger it regularly. It's cheaper than bestowing a Nighthowler with less demanding mana, so you get it faster and can hit harder early on (assuming you led with enablers), but you could run out of gas for it and it's inherently WAY less resilient than bestowing.

It really needs support along the lines of Awakening Zone, something that regularly makes enchantment creature tokens without constant investment, but even then.... I'm not optimistic for constructed, but I could see it being ok if you tossed it on a Gladecover Scout or something where it's comparatively safer.

That's all Standard talk. I don't see it as a high pick in Limited, but it has some late game value after you've lost a lot of guys and need to punch through the last damage.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Kabanaw posted:

Strength of The Fallen
1G
Enchantment

This is the most hilarious nonbo-that's-almost-a-combo with Pharika.

Christ, Wizards, let BG have nice things that work within its domain. (Abrupt Decay doesn't really count.)

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Elyv posted:

Pharika, Lotleth Troll and this.

Play Strength of the Fallen, Discard a creature with Lotleth Troll, exile it with Pharika, put an enchantment deathtouching snake out, Lotleth Troll gets a +1/+1 counter and +X/+X twice.

And presumably you've been communing with the gods and grisly salvaging all game.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I really doubt that card will do anything in any format.

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

BaronVonVaderham posted:

It really needs support along the lines of Awakening Zone, something that regularly makes enchantment creature tokens without constant investment, but even then.... I'm not optimistic for constructed, but I could see it being ok if you tossed it on a Gladecover Scout or something where it's comparatively safer.

It's not an aura. Perhaps it's good with Pharika? (aside from the fact that you'll run out of creatures..)

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I think it's just for limited consideration. Or your sweet Elk tribal.

Golden Hind mana ramp into Axebane stag. :getin:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Cactrot posted:

Pharika, Lotleth Troll and this.

Play Strength of the Fallen, Discard a creature with Lotleth Troll, exile it with Pharika, put an enchantment deathtouching snake out, Lotleth Troll gets a +1/+1 counter and +X/+X twice.

And presumably you've been communing with the gods and grisly salvaging all game.

So what I'm getting out of this is, after you're in an excellent position, it can put you in a better position? That seems...underwhelming. I dunno, I think the effect is probably too weak for constructed and too inconsistent for limited.

Crackatastic
May 13, 2005

Ayo, I kinda like your natural scent.
*NO HOMO*
So in the span of six weeks, the price of legacy duals has continued to Skyrocket. Tundra's grown to 250, Bayou is pushing 200 and, Underground Sea has ballooned to 350.

Seriously, Star City- cut this poo poo out.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Crackatastic posted:

So in the span of six weeks, the price of legacy duals has continued to Skyrocket. Tundra's grown to 250, Bayou is pushing 200 and, Underground Sea has ballooned to 350.

No

Sincerely,
Star City

B-but think of all the small LGS they're helping by raising the price of their already immovable stock!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Kabanaw posted:

Strength of The Fallen
1G
Enchantment

"I bestow Nighthowler on my Herald of Torment. He gets +2X/+2X. Hope you have a flier to block with."

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Crackatastic posted:

On SCG, Sneak Attack also jumped to $100.

This is good though, soon I'll be able to trade my Revised duals almost straight-up for Moxen. Wizards is much less likely to reprint Moxen than the original duals (which I really believe will happen some day, even in the far future).

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Mortimer posted:

No

Sincerely,
Star City

B-but think of all the small LGS they're helping by raising the price of their already immovable stock!

Anywhere with a legacy scene REV duals aren't immovable stock, anywhere without a legacy scene shouldn't be buying REV duals.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

DurdleDuck posted:

It's not an aura. Perhaps it's good with Pharika? (aside from the fact that you'll run out of creatures..)

:psyduck:

That's what happens when you just casually glance at the actual card because it's not in English and then just read the rules text translation.

That's very relevant info that changes things. A lot. That's MORE resilient than Nighthowler then. If there's enough support to consistently trigger it, then I'd say it's very playable, especially as it allows you to load up your graveyard and just play one or two creatures you can pump (then shrinks back down to dodge things like Elspeth's -3). No need to overextend into a wrath to keep your clock short.

I could even see something silly like Feral Invocation making an appearance alongside this, but imagine bestowing a Nighthowler on a creature to trigger this the same turn. Assuming you dodge instant-speed removal in response, that can be dangerous.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

:psyduck:

That's what happens when you just casually glance at the actual card because it's not in English and then just read the rules text translation.

That's very relevant info that changes things. A lot. That's MORE resilient than Nighthowler then. If there's enough support to consistently trigger it, then I'd say it's very playable, especially as it allows you to load up your graveyard and just play one or two creatures you can pump (then shrinks back down to dodge things like Elspeth's -3). No need to overextend into a wrath to keep your clock short.

I could even see something silly like Feral Invocation making an appearance alongside this, but imagine bestowing a Nighthowler on a creature to trigger this the same turn. Assuming you dodge instant-speed removal in response, that can be dangerous.

Now imagine if you had two of them out. :getin:

(Oh, and Boon Satyr vice Feral Invocation.)

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

ungulateman posted:

Christ, Wizards, let BG have nice things that work within its domain. (Abrupt Decay doesn't really count.)
Honestly at this point I'm thinking BG is the new Dimir with how rear end backwards they're making these cards.

Crackatastic posted:

There is a rumor that some chinese businessman bought up a shitload of legacy staple cards recently from SCG. Their supplies could be really low right now and they know people are crazy enough to pay these prices.

Korak fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 16, 2014

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

BJPaskoff posted:

On SCG, Sneak Attack also jumped to $100.

This is good though, soon I'll be able to trade my Revised duals almost straight-up for Moxen. Wizards is much less likely to reprint Moxen than the original duals (which I really believe will happen some day, even in the far future).

On the other hand, makes me not want to cash in for the Mox Jet at my LGS with all my store credit! I'd rather have duals.
Anyone want a Mox Jet :gonk:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Korak posted:

Honestly at this point I'm thinking BG is the new Dimir with how rear end backwards they're making these cards.
There is a rumor that some chinese businessman bought up a shitload of legacy staple cards recently from SCG. Their supplies could be really low right now and they know people are crazy enough to pay these prices.

The really cynical part of me wants to say that it's Ken Nagle actively sabotaging the B/G dredge subtheme that the rest of his co-designers are putting in, because he absolutely has to make sure none of them are "too good". I would normally assume that he'd get shouted down, but Pharika definitely seems to be tampered with :tinfoil:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Crackatastic posted:

This is hilarious. And just like that, all the tcg prices have risen to match it. :allears: I happen to have a few extras. I bet I could trade them in for some mad pretend fake space ships and become a star citizen.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Few "cheap" sneak attacks on eBay still. Go go go!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Crackatastic posted:

Volcanic is 300, double what it was when I bought mine a year ago. Kinda want to unload it since I don't ever play that deck. What's the easiest way to flip this thing for dollars?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

Volcanic is 300, double what it was when I bought mine a year ago. Kinda want to unload it since I don't ever play that deck. What's the easiest way to flip this thing for dollars?

Find a chinese businessman

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
1G for a mana dork isn't unprecedented. They're just going for a 2/1 body without making it as powerful as Lotus Cobra. It's a limited card.

ungulateman posted:

There's nothing innately wrong with a (potentially) strong interaction that depletes its own effectiveness. Those creatures in the bin are doing nothing by themselves and if you use them in any way you're removing them from the bin - actually getting a trigger and doing something with them.

Is it necessarily worth slots? Probably not. You run DRS with Tarmogoyf despite potential anti-synergy because both cards are strong. In this case the combined effect is fairly strong (BG for a diminishing solid pump) so the self-depletion isn't necessarily outright condemning.

Whether or not the interaction is pushed for constructed is another matter. I wouldn't outright dismiss Pharika for dredge (although admittedly I haven't been messing with BG Dredge in this format) because it feels like there isn't enough stuff that uses your graveyard as a resource in THS block.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing

Niton posted:

Ken Nagle

Ah, it's been a while since this thread blamed a good not great card being 'sabotaged' on Ken.

He's not even on the design team, guy. Cool your ire.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Crackatastic posted:

Jesus, I thought I was seeing typos or weird aberrations due to one site jacking their prices when I scanned through the duals on SCI a couple weeks ago. That's insane. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Kasonic posted:

Ah, it's been a while since this thread blamed a good not great card being 'sabotaged' on Ken.

He's not even on the design team, guy. Cool your ire.

I do think that someone is responsible for Pharika being so different from the other 9 gods, though. Nagle is just the easy/joke answer, because it's a B/G card :thejoke:

He's also definitely on the design team, albeit the final half rather than the initial one:

quote:

Final Game Design and Development Dave Humpherys (lead)
Ian Duke
Tom Jenkot
Erik Lauer
Ken Nagle

• Locked thread