Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

The way I look at it is if you have a tan/saddle interior, you should have a tan/saddle top.

Black interior, black top. My '96 had a tan top with black interior and it looked stupid, I imagine a black top with a tan interior would look wrong also. Too many different colors, keep it simple.

This is what I am thinking. Still a bit on the fence but I may just go with the stock color since I swore I wasn't modding this car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

leica posted:

Black and Tan is one of the best Miata color combos ever. 95M is the best, followed closely by BRG.

Lies. 10AE Blue is the best :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Too much blue, it's blue overkill.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
Nope, no such thing.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Nope, no such thing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Here's a pretty good deal on one of those, with hardtop even, but pre-tenderized for you.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/city-of-toronto/1999-mazda-mazdaspeed-mx-5-miata-convertible/581919372?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Bet that's sold within a few days or less. That's not a lot of body work required (and it looks like just body work). That's an $7-9K car in ontario once the bumpers fixed if it's in good shape otherwise (it looks like it is) and you're willing to wait for a buyer who cares about the 10AE stuff.

Also that blue is the best colour.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

There's worse pictures on Autotrader. I've been scanning them daily.
I'm pretty sure it spun and hit the back and the front ends.

I'd bet there's a lot worse underneath.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 15, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yup that looks like it kissed a Jersey barrier. Still though, if the title is clean...

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Oops. I'm phone posting, didn't see more than bumper damage.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Would broken tie rod ends cause a clunking noise on weight transfers (say, setting off from a stop) and certain steering inputs? The boots on mine are really torn and I suspect damage, but everything seems rock solid in the suspension and safe to drive but makes annoying clunks.

I'm looking at R package ends for $130 or so, is this a worthwhile update on a lowered car?

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 15, 2014

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Checked the tread on the Potenza RE50As that the Miata had on when I got it (probably stock) - inside and middle depths are good, around 8/32nds, outside edge not so much. Worst is at around 4/32nds. Checked the pressures and all were around 23 PSI, despite only sitting for around 30 minutes after getting fully up to temp. Put them all to 30PSI, hope that'll slow down the wear a bit.

I've run the Continental ExtremeContact DW on another car, anyone have experience with those on an NC? The price is a lot nicer than putting another set of RE05A back on - $99/tire vs $177.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Bovril Delight posted:

I've run the Continental ExtremeContact DW on another car, anyone have experience with those on an NC? The price is a lot nicer than putting another set of RE05A back on - $99/tire vs $177.

I ran a set of DW on my 08 w/sport suspension and highly recommend. They are very light weight, and grip extremely well wet or dry. Their drawback - they have soft sidewalls, so expect a hair more tuck in corners. It doesn't affect the overall performance, just an observation. On the plus side, you get a little better impact absorption and notably less road noise. In my opinion they're in the sweet spot of performance, comfort, and price for a NC.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I have a few friends in the tire industry and they are all really big fans of the BFG Sport Comp 2 right now. Ive never driven on DWs but my room mates sport comp 2s are pretty awesome.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Goober Peas posted:

I ran a set of DW on my 08 w/sport suspension and highly recommend. They are very light weight, and grip extremely well wet or dry. Their drawback - they have soft sidewalls, so expect a hair more tuck in corners. It doesn't affect the overall performance, just an observation. On the plus side, you get a little better impact absorption and notably less road noise. In my opinion they're in the sweet spot of performance, comfort, and price for a NC.

Sadi posted:

I have a few friends in the tire industry and they are all really big fans of the BFG Sport Comp 2 right now. Ive never driven on DWs but my room mates sport comp 2s are pretty awesome.

Thanks guys. Both of these are pretty reasonably priced so I'll do my research while I burn these up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

RE050As aren't bad per se, but they were the OEM tire on the first gen MS3 back in 2007. They're one of the older tires on the market and just aren't worth the money that they apparently still command.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I didn't really like my steering wheel... so I got a new one!

Before:

After:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That looks nice. How hard was it to swap and where did you pick it up?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I just ordered one of those cheapo shift boot and e-brake boot kits from topgaiters on eBay. Pretty excited to have a non-torn-up interior.

I might even be more excited about that than the Rivals coming in the mail.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

ND Chassis

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
The rear looks a bit more beefy, but that's about the same as the NC, isn't it?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Would broken tie rod ends cause a clunking noise on weight transfers (say, setting off from a stop) and certain steering inputs? The boots on mine are really torn and I suspect damage, but everything seems rock solid in the suspension and safe to drive but makes annoying clunks.

I'm looking at R package ends for $130 or so, is this a worthwhile update on a lowered car?

If your tie rods are toast, replace them with the 93LE/R package ones.

When was the last time you replaced your eccentrics?

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Bovril Delight posted:

That looks nice. How hard was it to swap and where did you pick it up?
It was super easy. Just needed a 21mm socket + extension, a 9mm socket, and a phillips screwdriver. Took me about an hour; most of that time was spent fumbling around for the right tools and sockets and also trying to seat the wheel further in, only to realize that it was already in as far as it could go... :downs:

I got the steering wheel from a guy named "guardian" on the miata forums. He custom makes these to whatever reasonable spec you want.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GOD IS BED posted:

The rear looks a bit more beefy, but that's about the same as the NC, isn't it?

Overall weight savings on the car is supposed to be around 220 pounds.

Anyone with a better eye for the Skyactiv got an idea on what that engine is? Intake manifold looks crazy, the TB is above the alternator but the runners seem to go down behind the alt.

Also looks like that might be an electrically-assisted power steering rack, seems awfully large for a hydraulic unit. Is that the water pump chilling on its own V-belt behind the serpentine for the alt and compressor?

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Here's a larger resolution image of the chassis, if anybody wants to take a closer look at it.

http://i.imgur.com/jXpUfx7.jpg

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

IOwnCalculus posted:

Overall weight savings on the car is supposed to be around 220 pounds.

Anyone with a better eye for the Skyactiv got an idea on what that engine is? Intake manifold looks crazy, the TB is above the alternator but the runners seem to go down behind the alt.

Also looks like that might be an electrically-assisted power steering rack, seems awfully large for a hydraulic unit. Is that the water pump chilling on its own V-belt behind the serpentine for the alt and compressor?

I wouldn't put too much faith in hard numbers from journos, they've been everywhere and they change whenever there's a new press release. HOWEVER, I'm going to be a true believer and say that the 100kg figure is right... And the curb on the NC is 2450 to 2542 lbs... So that's NA weight with some groceries in the trunk.

The engine is the Skyactiv G 2.0L. It might have different internals much like the MZR in the NC. Definitely is going to have electric steering. Your throttle body and intake runner analysis is spot on, it's an interesting solution for getting some crazy long intake runner length.

They also changed up the rear suspension setup. The NC top hat allows for the shock body to travel past the top hat, the ND looks like a more conventional coilover set up.

More than a few people have put forth the hypothesis that the ND is going to be revealed at Mazda Speedway Laguna Seca in September when they have the Miatas at Laguna event.

Also also also, the tires are on the wrong way or... Mid engine Miata? Mid/rear engine with FWD and rear steering?

Phone fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 16, 2014

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I've been so excited for the ND launch for way too long now. It really can't come soon enough. I just hope it isn't a let down.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Phone posted:

They also changed up the rear suspension setup. The NC top hat allows for the shock body to travel past the top hat, the ND looks like a more conventional coilover set up.

Also also also, the tires are on the wrong way or... Mid engine Miata? Mid/rear engine with FWD and rear steering?

Has the rear been multilink since ND or did they change that now too? And what might be the reason for this change? Just wondering from the "not broken" perspective...

Also, I'm not seeing any tires there :) Edit: they must've finally created the flying car!

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Apr 17, 2014

Oct 2, 2004

At least it has a yellow dipstick. Speed and class.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hopefully it's reinforced to prevent snapping off like a twig :v:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

leica posted:

Hopefully it's reinforced to prevent snapping off like a twig :v:

Did I not tell everyone about the success I had with dipping mine in a few coats of polyurethane epoxy? Thing is stronger than it was when original at this point :v:.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Good news everyone! There's also (unsurprisingly) going to be a 25th anniversary Miata!

It really should've been an ND, but I have to admit that it at least looks quite nice.

Oct 2, 2004

The colour is fantastic.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

Did I not tell everyone about the success I had with dipping mine in a few coats of polyurethane epoxy? Thing is stronger than it was when original at this point :v:.

What, how, pics?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

iv46vi posted:

What, how, pics?

Unfortunately it was on my first Miata and I donated it to a fellow owner who now lives across the country. He tells me that it is still very much intact and he no longer fears breaking it. He DID say that he got too comfortable with it and broke some other poor bastards dipstick :v:

Basically, you mix up a batch of epoxy into a jar and then you paint the dipstick. You want to get a thin epoxy that has not been thickened like such as the stuff you usually find at most auto parts stores. When you finish each coat be sure to have a small jar of solvent around to keep your brush from getting ruined. You will have to make a new batch for each coat you want to apply so try to keep the batch sizes just big enough to get a good coat on the plastic bit.

You really want to focus on the point on the stem just above the joint, where they always break. When I got done with mine there was actually a kind of "ramp" from the base up to the main part of the stem a few mm up. I had bought the unbroken dipstick from Mazda, so I was able to leave the broken one in the car for driving about.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Had my buddy run up to get a black non-defrost hardtop for me from the other large city in my province.

The seller wanted $500, but broke the rear Frankenstein bolt latch off removing it from the car so took $400 for it.

I'm pretty pleased. I have both halves of the rear latch, maybe it can be welded (or jb-welded :v:) together but if not I know the Spec Miata guys don't use the rear latches anyway. I'll post some pictures once I get it so we can all argue over whether it can be fixed.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's going to be a rattling motherfucker if you don't use every latch. It doesn't seem like a big deal now but it will eventually drive you insane, one of my biggest pet peeves about hard tops is chasing rattles.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
drat it. Maybe I can get it welded back together then. My old miata had a soft top delete and the rattles were inaudible over the deafening exhaust and disintegrating drivetrain.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Do you have the side latches for the hardtop? They can help quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Seat Safety Switch posted:

drat it. Maybe I can get it welded back together then.
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=326285
There's another thread linked off of there with details of one guy who did a repair.
Also is yours an OEM top or a SnugTop?