Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Heavy Zed posted:

So I know Lordarach is already supposed to be gone but can we take a moment to consider how distasteful this is:

Bear in mind this was a guy who talked about making games suitable for his 9-year old kid. One of which includes the "Pleasure Saucers", which usually (in the faith, as it were) isn't meant to imply the pleasure of a good chess game or the pleasure of a fancy steak or the pleasure of an excellent sitcom. It usually means loving. Not to say it couldn't mean the other things, but loving is usually a big part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

This was a huge issue I pulled my pledge. I want the game, looks like something I would enjoy
Asking me to drop 145 for everything too much for me.
I don't care for exclusives personally. Give me a discount toss in 1 or 2 exclusive things. Maybe. Let people know they can get the rest after KS for a slight increase in price but don't make it
"Oh hey I learned about this game after the KS ended guess I'll never get what other people are playing with, in a freaking board game, without dropping WAY too much on ebay"

No one else has to agree with me here but thats my feelings on it

For Kickstarer exclusives I find component upgrades to be the best. It gives you a reason to kickstart, but doesn't diminish game-play for the people who missed it.

At $145 for a dexterity game I'm glad I got Rampage for $40 then sold the meeple stickers for $10. I get a good game that fills the dexterity slot on my shelf at a good price.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
Exclusives are dumb. You aren't part of an elite club because you happened to notice something during the month it was being funded. Getting product early, getting something you want funded, and getting usually cheaper access to the product and/or additions to the product, are fantastic as is. If there are KS exclusives, I don't mind cosmetic things, but even component upgrades are kinda "ehhh" unless they end up in the retail game, or available.

Stonemaier Games kinda shot themselves in the foot a little bit with the amazing upgraded components in Euphoria, so much that they decided to make a generic upgrade kit, but because people gotta have their exclusives, they ended up destroying the moulds for the original upgraded materials. This is after they did a survey of backers to see if people would be okay with them changing the exclusivity terms. I've never seen so many people angry that other people may be able to have the same good experiences as them.

I really like the upgraded components and I'm a little choked that if you get someone excited about the game, they literally cannot buy the same game you have, unless they shell out way too much money on ebay.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

Let's make a lovely game about shilling for our lovely game on SomethingAwful and making the worst impression possible.

stoutfish posted:

A game where you play as incompetent game designers/marketers.

I'd Kickstart the poo poo out of that.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Deep Magic drivethru code received!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

stoutfish posted:

A game where you play as incompetent game designers/marketers.

The funniest parts were the "fake" game titles, but it has been done. Kind of.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

alchahest posted:

Exclusives are dumb. You aren't part of an elite club because you happened to notice something during the month it was being funded. Getting product early, getting something you want funded, and getting usually cheaper access to the product and/or additions to the product, are fantastic as is. If there are KS exclusives, I don't mind cosmetic things, but even component upgrades are kinda "ehhh" unless they end up in the retail game, or available.

Stonemaier Games kinda shot themselves in the foot a little bit with the amazing upgraded components in Euphoria, so much that they decided to make a generic upgrade kit, but because people gotta have their exclusives, they ended up destroying the moulds for the original upgraded materials. This is after they did a survey of backers to see if people would be okay with them changing the exclusivity terms. I've never seen so many people angry that other people may be able to have the same good experiences as them.

I really like the upgraded components and I'm a little choked that if you get someone excited about the game, they literally cannot buy the same game you have, unless they shell out way too much money on ebay.

I'll say this about Stonemaier games

They did amazing during the Tuscany: Viticuluture expansion. Great communication, open and very active in the community.
NO Kickstarter exclusives from that project or any going forward that they make.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I'll say this about Stonemaier games

They did amazing during the Tuscany: Viticuluture expansion. Great communication, open and very active in the community.
NO Kickstarter exclusives from that project or any going forward that they make.

Yeah, it's a pretty smart attitude. I remember a friend saying that he would have bought Euphoria when it was $40, but the game lacked a lot when compared with the KS edition (I have no idea what the actual difference in components are).

I think I like how Level 99 does it best, in that unlocks improve the value of the Kickstarter edition, but you can buy all the promos later anyway. If I recall, Devastation was $50 for its Kickstarter, but the MSRP is now somewhere around $75, plus you have to buy a separate "extended edition" stuff with all the miscellaneous other stuff that came with it. Great value for KS backers, but doesn't completely shut out people who didn't have the money or information.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I believe that's how Stonemaier plans to deal with "exclusives" for future games - making them available, as an add-on, directly from them

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Speaking of Jamey Stegmaier I'm working on a panel with him and he wants questions so if there's anything specific you'd like to ask him about kickstarter-funded TG production feel free to tell me and I have his ear. He's gonna put together a comprehensive video on the subject.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
I want to know all there is about production - how one finds and deals with companies that make cards, chits, tokens, boards, all of that.

Basically as much as possible about how to deal with the physical side of the boardgame thing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Blue Dungeon Tiles will be adding some more pledge levels soon to cover the new and upcoming tile sets:

Right now getting at least 6 of every tile and the clear radial templates is $135 plus shipping. And Kevin confirmed that tiles will be available for purchase after the Kickstarter's over, so at least I don't feel like I have to buy all the sets at once now (even though I probably will :smithicide:).

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

So Catacombs is in its last 48 hours, and I'm kinda dismayed that so much of it is Kickstarter exclusive stuff, including stuff that affects gameplay. The issue is that it's $145 for everything, which is a lot to ask for a game that I'm not even sure I'd like. I'm sure this is going to spark debates about Kickstarter exclusive stuff, but blech.

I definitely feel this post. I'm admittedly a bit of a completionist, and it's annoying that every kickstarter game must be loaded with exclusive content that will never come around again. I was originally in for the base game, then added the Chicks In A Catacomb add-on because I figured some hero variety would be nice and that would mean I had everything except the Zombie Horde add-on which looked a bit unnecessary. Then when they announced the expansion with even MORE kickstarter exclusive content, I dropped back to the base game, and now I'm considering dropping out entirely, and that should say a lot coming from someone who loved the original edition. Blargh.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Blue Dungeon Tiles will be adding some more pledge levels soon to cover the new and upcoming tile sets:

Right now getting at least 6 of every tile and the clear radial templates is $135 plus shipping. And Kevin confirmed that tiles will be available for purchase after the Kickstarter's over, so at least I don't feel like I have to buy all the sets at once now (even though I probably will :smithicide:).

Thanks for the reminder about this - I totally glazed over when I tried to make sense of the add-ons and pledge levels.

Do I go in at the $60 level and add $75 more for six of everything?

edit: never mind, I didn't realize that link went to the update with the new proposed tiers.

I'll just wait until they add those and go from there.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 15, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Peas and Rice posted:

I'll just wait until they add those and go from there.
Yeah, I figure I'm just going to do the Expert level+building tiles myself. I can't see myself getting a lot of use out of the boat ones.

Still, the value on these is amazing. It's like the Reaper Minis of reasonably priced easy-to-transport map tiles.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I believe that's how Stonemaier plans to deal with "exclusives" for future games - making them available, as an add-on, directly from them

Yeah I'm pretty sure he talked about it in this post
He does a lot of pre and post KS post about things he learns. He touches on no more exclusives.

In terms of Euphoria I bought it during the KS for Tuscany because it was on sale for 45 bucks instead of the normal MSRP. Apparently missed out on some upgraded tokens but poo poo. The game is still amazing and I greatly enjoy the worker placement game

Theres some kickstarters I WANT to back that are ending soon but I can not due to funds :/ Sad days for me

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Evil Mastermind posted:

Seems really late in the game to be revamping tier levels this much...and I was one of the guys asking in the comments if there would be an "all add-ons" option.

I honestly think the smart thing to do would be to stick with BASIC tier, get the one-of-each addon tile, and then buy post-Kickstarter for everything else.

EDIT: plus adding $5 to get the nifty PDF thing for print-and-play ability.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Sorry for the double post, but its a completely different issue:

Minion Games finally got around to sending out the Space Coins that they shorted me the first time around, but they ended up sending me 10-count bags instead of just single coins. So I have 9 spares each of the 2 and 100,000 denomination coins, if any goons also got shorted but were unable to get replacements from Minion, I'd be more than happy to hook you up. Just shoot me a PM or something.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Baron Snow posted:

I'd Kickstart the poo poo out of that.

TSR had a "cut apart and play" game in one of their Dragon magazines about publishing crappy board games. It was in one of the Best of Dragon anthologies in the late 80's. Wish I could remember what it was called.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Verdugo posted:

TSR had a "cut apart and play" game in one of their Dragon magazines about publishing crappy board games. It was in one of the Best of Dragon anthologies in the late 80's. Wish I could remember what it was called.

Are you thinking of File 13?

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
That's it! By Tom Wham who designed AGTIOS.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I like upgraded components and will continue to spend my $$ on them as I see fit. This is a first world argument which is about as useful as Levi's that cost more than $30.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Servoret posted:

A legitimately fun game. It didn't have a lot of strategy, but it was all kinds of entertaining in 1981.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Verdugo posted:

Servoret posted:

The first of the two links I posted earlier on this very page goes directly to the File 13 game titles, which were amusing, at least.

plaz
Jul 25, 2006
I'm a bit worried about Westerly: The Threeboot ... with a week left to run, they're still 7k short of their goal. In their last update, they said that they haven't allowed for any profit in their budget, and that in order to drum up a bit more support they've decided to give all backers at the game + expansion tier a second copy of the game for free.

If they're cutting their budget that close to the line, I'm concerned that they're going to end up running out of cash and shipping nothing. Unless they get a significant jump in the last couple of days I'll probably pull my pledge, which would be a shame because the game looks like it could be pretty entertaining :(

edit: this is also their third time trying to fund the game, which I guess doesn't bode well

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

plaz posted:

I'm a bit worried about Westerly: The Threeboot

I think you may want to stop worrying and start running in the other direction. Taking into consideration that this is from a company that hasn't ever produced a board game before, this is an awful lot of warning signs that they don't know how to manage money.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

InShaneee posted:

I think you may want to stop worrying and start running in the other direction. Taking into consideration that this is from a company that hasn't ever produced a board game before, this is an awful lot of warning signs that they don't know how to manage money.

Absolutely. It's time to jump ship.

I just found out that there's an expansion for Miskatonic School For Girls on Kickstarter. The base game is a super-light filler and is a lot of fun to play occasionally with friends, but the expansion adds some much needed depth. If you don't already own the base game, there's a level giving base plus expansion at a $16 discount.

Two weeks to go on the third Shadowfist Kickstarter and it looks like it'll make it, but just in case here's a compelling reason to give it a go:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Jedit posted:

If you have Archives I did an LP last year when the first Kickstarter was on. If you don't, the answer is "excellently with more than two players". The base set gives you four complete decks and the extension adds two more; everything else is new cards for tweaking.

I could never find that thread, got a link?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mystic Mongol posted:

I could never find that thread, got a link?

No, because I don't have Archives. Someone posted a link a few pages back.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

No, because I don't have Archives. Someone posted a link a few pages back.

Here it is.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Catacombs just announced another kickstarter exclusive content stretch goal. I don't even care that they're probably not going to reach this one, I'm ducking out of this one. :toot:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Scyther posted:

Catacombs just announced another kickstarter exclusive content stretch goal. I don't even care that they're probably not going to reach this one, I'm ducking out of this one. :toot:

Just but a good crokinole set, it will cost less and plays the same (mostly).

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

Just but a good crokinole set, it will cost less and plays the same (mostly).

That's kind of a ridiculous oversimplification. By that logic I could saw some discs out of a cylindrical wooden rod and flick them around my dinner table, and scoff at anyone who bought Rampage, Disc Duelers, Catacombs, or a Crokinole board.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Goddamn it, Catacombs is making me want to pull my pledge entirely.

Is all this stuff for everybody who pledges $55? There's something in the comments section that looks like that's the case.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

moths posted:

Is all this stuff for everybody who pledges $55? There's something in the comments section that looks like that's the case.

Terribly disappointing Kickstarter practices posted:

Kickstarter Backers Receive The Following:

Access to pledge for the Kickstarter Exclusive Zombie Horde and Chicks In A Catacomb Add-Ons (please scroll down for more details)

Also all Kickstarter backers receive the following unlocked exclusives:

New Catacomb Lords: The Ice Dragon, The Enchantress and the Behemoth
A new Item (we're keeping this under wraps)
The Ice Mage Hero / Ally
NEW DOUBLE SIDED GAME BOARD ("the cavern" on one side, for the Cavern of Soloth expansion (see below), "ice castle" on the other) Note: YOU ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO PLEDGE FOR THE SOLOTH EXPANSION TO GET THE EXTRA KS EXCLUSIVE BOARD

It's such a shame. I'm interested, but all the exclusivity is incredibly off-putting, and I really don't want to support the practice, especially when there are whole expansions (?) that are "Kickstarter exclusive."

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

moths posted:

As far as I can tell, the only KS exclusive stuff that's NOT included in the $55 level is the add-ons and the extra hero and item in the expansion.

GrandpaPants posted:

It's such a shame. I'm interested, but all the exclusivity is incredibly off-putting, and I really don't want to support the practice, especially when there are whole expansions (?) that are "Kickstarter exclusive."

It is incredibly off-putting. Even if I was to go all-in and get the super duper complete edition, if I then play it with someone new and they got excited about it and wanted to go pick it up, whoops I just waved a bunch of poo poo in their face that they can never have.

Scyther fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 16, 2014

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this is getting out of hand. I'm going to see if Rampage looks fun with a gameplay vid, and if it does I'll just get that instead.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Scyther posted:

That's kind of a ridiculous oversimplification. By that logic I could saw some discs out of a cylindrical wooden rod and flick them around my dinner table, and scoff at anyone who bought Rampage, Disc Duelers, Catacombs, or a Crokinole board.

No yours is a ridiculous oversimplification. Mine was just a comment that if Catacombs is getting too unwieldy, why not try an fun game with a long established history? Have you ever played crokinole? It is very enjoyable and fairly challenging.

Honestly nearly $150 for a simple dexterity game is nuts, no matter how improved the artwork is.

e: I just looked at the KS again, where did someone get $145 as their cost for this thing?

e2: The expansion, got it.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 16, 2014

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Honestly, I don't mind kickstarter exclusives if it's just things like alternate sculpts of minis or fancier components. But when you start getting into things like "Here's an entire expansion that you can only get by kickstarting this game!", that's when I'll back out of a project now. I think it's stupid to, essentially, punish 90+% of gamers because they didn't happen to get in on a game for the one month the kickstarter was run.

As for Euphoria's upgraded resources kit, they are VERY nicely done, and honestly, if he removed the "Euphoria" stamp from the gold bars, he would have a very nice "Generic resource upgrade kit" for many games. If it's a good price, I might buy a few just for my other games that use gold, stone or bricks. Hell, if he wanted to make a kickstarter that was the upgraded components but generalized, I would gladly back it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Well, I cancelled my all-in pledge. I hope they get enough backouts with the KS-exclusivity reasons to learn for their next project (though I'll be honest I kind of doubt that'll happen).

I watched some Rampage gameplay. At first I was kind of ho-hum with it, but as soon as someone used his superpower something clicked for me, and now I really want it. Adding to my wishlist list for sure. But who knows, maybe another dexterity-based game with a theme I like will show up by the time I get to it.

• Locked thread