Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I know we don't know the exact numbers of the contact and blah blah, but that seems like the Jets sort of spent a lot of money for Chris Johnson, no? Is it safe to assume that they plan on using him as their feature back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Burger Trench posted:

I know we don't know the exact numbers of the contact and blah blah, but that seems like the Jets sort of spent a lot of money for Chris Johnson, no? Is it safe to assume that they plan on using him as their feature back?

Who cares about the money, they have more cap room then they can possibly use since all the good FA's have signed already.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Oh yeah? Well the Bengals signed T.J. Conley. How's about that?!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It's the highest APY of the FA RBs but FA RBs are also just outpacing kickers this offseason so they're still dirt cheap. I will assume Chris Ivory is still the primary back although it could form into a true tandem.

code:
Chris Johnson   	$4.0m
Donald Brown    	$3.5m
Toby Gerhart    	$3.5m
Ben Tate    		$3.1m
Knowshon Moreno		$3.0m
Maurice Jones-Drew  	$2.5m
Rashad Jennings  	$2.5m
LeGarrette Blount   	$1.8m

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

now in french

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Parmesan Basil posted:

To win is to not post.

To win is to continually poo poo on your own team

:smug:

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

mcmagic posted:

Who cares about the money, they have more cap room then they can possibly use since all the good FA's have signed already.

i agree with this mcmagic post actually. it's always funny when people complain about the amount of a deal when teams have a lot of space and no massive free agents out there to sign.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If Rashad Jennings had a longer track record, he probably could've commanded 5 after Johnson's deal came out. At 2.5 he could be a loving bargain for the Giants, but he could also suck.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Volkerball posted:

If Rashad Jennings had a longer track record, he probably could've commanded 5 after Johnson's deal came out. At 2.5 he could be a loving bargain for the Giants, but he could also suck.

But at 2.5 who cares if he sucks

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Nobody, but that's why he got 2.5 to begin with, even though he's coming off like 7 straight 100 yard games or w/e.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Rex Ryan sits idly in the background, nods.

quote:

Despite the success Tim Tebow and the Denver Broncos have been having, Darrelle Revis isn't quite so sure their read-option offense can succeed for a full NFL season.

"Yeah, if you have Michael Vick and Chris Johnson at running back," the Jets' All-Pro cornerback told the New York Daily News on Tuesday. "Yeah, it can work. Those are probably the two fastest guys that can get out on the edge."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82429557/article/revis-broncos-offense-could-work-with-vick-cj2k-not-tebow

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
I don't think you can be mad at signing Chris Johnson at just over what Donald Brown makes.

FA RBs really sucked this year if 2013 Chris Johnson is far and away the best.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

shiksa posted:

I don't think you can be mad at signing Chris Johnson at just over what Donald Brown makes.

Uhh excuse me one Mr. Toby Gerhart would like to disagree.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

So the Jets are also interested in Sidney Rice

Now I see the plan

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
Jets hired a reincarnated Al Davis

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Except it had nothing to do with injuries. Those rookies were starting out of training camp.

Eh, No.

Trufant was starting out of training camp, but Alford was backing up until age caught up with Asante Samuel (and he got hurt in week 2). Worrilow was getting snaps, but not starting (if I remember correctly), but Bierman (week... loving 2) and Weatherspoon going down pretty much guaranteed he was the starter for the rest of the season. Bartu was starting at Will LB, about halfway through the season.

Patrick Dimarco, UDFA FB started for the rest of the year after the starter got his shoulder separated in week 2 (the starter was so lovely and always hurt, I don't even know his name because gently caress him). Week 2 was 1 of only 4 wins all year, but it sucked. So many starters were lost for the year or for significant time in that game.

I could look all of this up, but of course... :effort: That and I watched every loving god awful game of last season. And I'm pretty sure this is how it went down.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

shiksa posted:

He wasn't, though. Not clear cut at least.

I completely agree running back is a position you don't need a superstar and it seems like a waste to be Honest.

It appears Miami has zero interest paying a guy 5 mil a year to run it. Bush would be here otherwise

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Vertical Lime posted:

So the Jets are also interested in Sidney Rice

Now I see the plan

I'd rather believe this is them desperately grasping at anything that's left realizing they missed out on everything else, because otherwise this was their actual plan all along and they're stupider than we thought.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

AAA DOLFAN posted:

He wasn't, though. Not clear cut at least.

I completely agree running back is a position you don't need a superstar and it seems like a waste to be Honest.

Is this a serious post? There are several superstar running backs who help keep their teams relevant. Of course it's not necessary to have them, but their definitely not a waste(excluding Minnesota).

Up until last year Matt Forte was the Bears' offense. Jamaal Charles took that role this past season. AP just needs a Matt Cassel to start for a full season to get his team to the playoffs, and the Seahawks offense would be the worst in the league without Marshawn Lynch.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Rice would be pretty good value camp signing. I can't imagine he'd be guaranteed a roster spot if they're at all planning on drafting a WR.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
you made my point for me actually. Marshawn Lynch is good but he's not a superstar. Other positions warrant the money and picks not running back. At all.

Average is enough to win a Super Bowl. It's been beaten to death throughout the thread tho so no point rehashing old arguments. You're picking teams that are far far from a superbowl, to be honest. KC and Minnesota have no real chance unless they upgrade everything else.

Seattle's success was much more their defense than their offense. Im not sure using Lynch was a great idea. Hint: Look at his superbowl stats

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 17, 2014

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Rice hasn't been healthy for a while, but why would people be so down on the Jets signing him? He's a phenomenal talent and was playing well until his recent injury. It seems to me to be a low-risk, high-reward type move.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Rice announces 1 year deal with Seahawks while taking his Jets physical. Ha.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Atticus Finch posted:

Oh yeah? Well the Bengals signed T.J. Conley. How's about that?!

When you got 24 million in cap room sometimes you just have to lay the boom.

You know, once Mike Brown finds yet another excuse for not paying it.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I'm not hugely bummed about Rice, but it would've been cool if he was on my team again. Hopefully this means we'll be going all-in on drafting a couple WRs.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Ozu posted:

Rice announces 1 year deal with Seahawks while taking his Jets physical. Ha.

Oh boy that's awkward.

edit: I hope his phone buzzed while the trainers were working with him and he just silently got up and walked out of the facility.

quote:

@DangeRussWilson 13m
YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! @sidneyrice

He even types like my 67 year old dad.

Schwack fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 17, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
0 in Guarantees for CJ1K in 2015.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Schwack posted:

Oh boy that's awkward.

edit: I hope his phone buzzed while the trainers were working with him and he just silently got up and walked out of the facility.

I really really hope he did something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_wy8ebqKbA

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Schwack posted:

Oh boy that's awkward.

He even types like my 67 year old dad.

Holla! With Tate gone I'm sure glad to have some continuity with receivers. Odds are we will have at least one week where Rice, Harvin, and Baldwin are all injured too!

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

mcmagic posted:

0 in Guarantees for CJ1K in 2015.

Yeah but Idzik let him leave the facility yesterday

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

AAA DOLFAN posted:

you made my point for me actually. Marshawn Lynch is good but he's not a superstar. Other positions warrant the money and picks not running back. At all.

Average is enough to win a Super Bowl. It's been beaten to death throughout the thread tho so no point rehashing old arguments. You're picking teams that are far far from a superbowl, to be honest. KC and Minnesota have no real chance unless they upgrade everything else.

Seattle's success was much more their defense than their offense. Im not sure using Lynch was a great idea. Hint: Look at his superbowl stats

Lol. When a run first, good defense team wins the Super Bowl, it's all on the defense. When a good defense pass first team wins the Super Bowl, it's a ~passing league~. The bottom line is that teams like the Texans and Seahawks who don't have a top 5 quarterback can still be legitimate Super Bowl contenders by running the ball. You personally don't value a good running back. That's it. You can have a lovely qb if you have a good line, receivers, and oc. You can have lovely DT's if you have good pass rushing ends and MLB's who can shut down the middle. On and on and on. That doesn't make good players at those positions expendable or worthless, especially for teams who'd schemes value guys like that. The bottom line is that guys like McCoy, Forte, Foster, Rice, AP, etc can add a lot to make teams competitive for championships, and if you think you can get that guy, loving go for it. Lol the Broncos could beat the Vikings and look at Lynch's Super Bowl stats doesn't really change that.

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

Schwack posted:

So he's Brian Russell? Most famous for his attempted butt tackle that I can't find a loving picture of anymore but god he sucked.

edit:

This was like 5 pages ago, but oh my god gently caress Brian Russell

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Volkerball posted:

Lol. When a run first, good defense team wins the Super Bowl, it's all on the defense. When a good defense pass first team wins the Super Bowl, it's a ~passing league~. The bottom line is that teams like the Texans and Seahawks who don't have a top 5 quarterback can still be legitimate Super Bowl contenders by running the ball. You personally don't value a good running back. That's it. You can have a lovely qb if you have a good line, receivers, and oc. You can have lovely DT's if you have good pass rushing ends and MLB's who can shut down the middle. On and on and on. That doesn't make good players at those positions expendable or worthless, especially for teams who'd schemes value guys like that. The bottom line is that guys like McCoy, Forte, Foster, Rice, AP, etc can add a lot to make teams competitive for championships, and if you think you can get that guy, loving go for it. Lol the Broncos could beat the Vikings and look at Lynch's Super Bowl stats doesn't really change that.

Wow this is just dripping with smug. What's the point after something like that?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think KC would have had a chance to win it all last year if Charles didn't go down. Things kinda went nuts in the playoff game but Smith was going haaaaaaaam. Actually not just losing Charles but also they lost their backup back too. It was just bad luck.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Volkerball posted:

What does a pass first good D team look like?

I can't really think of one.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Eagles in 2004.

e: For a more recent example, the Steelers in 2011 when Bruce Arians ran the offense. Top 10 passing offense #1 defense

They lost though. But that Super Bowl was two high-powered passing attacks.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 17, 2014

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Any San Fran team in the 80s or 90s, wasn't Green Bay kind of decent on defense the year they won?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Quest For Glory II posted:

The Eagles in 2004.

e: For a more recent example, the Steelers in 2011 when Bruce Arians ran the offense. Top 10 passing offense #1 defense

They lost though. But that Super Bowl was two high-powered passing attacks.

This is true, though I don't know anyone that discounted the D's contribution.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

I think KC would have had a chance to win it all last year if Charles didn't go down. Things kinda went nuts in the playoff game but Smith was going haaaaaaaam. Actually not just losing Charles but also they lost their backup back too. It was just bad luck.

Smith funslinging in that game was pretty awesome. The dude started playing like the Saints playoff game from a few years back.

CharlestheHammer posted:

What does a pass first good D team look like?

I can't really think of one.

The 2010-2011 Packers had a pretty good D if I recall correctly.

Sour Diesel fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Grittybeard posted:

Any San Fran team in the 80s or 90s, wasn't Green Bay kind of decent on defense the year they won?

Yup, every Niners championship team was stacked on defense. Ronnie Lott, Hacksaw Reynolds,, the list goes on.

• Locked thread