Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

don't try and make c something its not

for that, use c++

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i dont know what this is but hopefully its bannable

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
it's a joke

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Bloody posted:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

i'm quite sure that's wrong

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
do embedded dev if you:
-enjoy vendors inviting themselves over to lie to you
-want to train yourself to never again trust anything at all, ever
-want to try and reconcile your ivory tower ideals of code style with what actually works
- either deal with some assholes who wrote a bad hal or write your own and spend months hammering your own balls
- have a ton of fun, honestly embdev owns

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Phobeste posted:

do embedded dev if you:
-want to try and reconcile your ivory tower ideals of code style with what actually works
- either deal with some assholes who wrote a bad hal or write your own and spend months hammering your own balls

also seriously, vendor/vendor sales reps will lie to you, rip dan ujvari (quote this if ur on the east coast and use atmel)

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

i'm quite sure that's wrong

it's an inside joke and like all of those should have never left its native habitat

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Phobeste posted:

do embedded dev if you:

i hate you because you were inconsistent with your indentation in this list

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Phobeste posted:

do embedded dev if you:

will they tell me i'm pretty?

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

will they buy me lunch? thats the only way i will ever willingly speak to a vendor.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
when stm visited a couple of weeks ago they gave me a cap touchscreen dev kit, that was nice. freescale didnt bring poo poo because they're assholes

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

altera wandered by the other day to convince us to use their new cyclone psocs for stepper indexing

we have no institutional experience or skill with fpgas and no real desire to gain it and also just finished a core electronics platform to use for everything so there was 0 chance we'd buy anything

and we told them that and they loving came at 9 am anyway and didn't bring food

life is the worst

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot

Bloody posted:

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

i only know how to write function pointer declarations because of objective-c blocks

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Phobeste posted:

I don't know if this is because of the nature of embedded or because old C-men love writing macros and doing crazy bit manip/checking when a simple true/false could have worked.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
stopping by real quick to say that i loving hate javascript

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
JavaScript is a good language. I like it a lot.

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
java... script? weird

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Suspicious Dish posted:

it's definitely better than vbscript

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

prefect posted:

it's definitely better than vbscript

please don't summon shaggar

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MeramJert posted:

i hate you because you were inconsistent with your indentation in this list

embedded programmers :v:

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

tef posted:

embedded programmers :v:

WELL IT WORKED

and yeah the code style thing is sort of forced on you by the folks you're working with and the ones that worked on the project in the past (this is not news) but also the fact that you're working so tightly coupled with hardware. in a lot of cases you don't have a hal at all and you're copying a data sheet and using vendor provided headers with all the all caps names with nonsensical abbreviations that entails

and of course the other thing is that in a lot of cases you really are riding close enough to the limits of the devices capability that everything really does go, and you really do want macros and bit fields and all that, because embedded development is actually a super broad field. when i'm writing user space software for embedded linux i can follow nice code guidelines. when writing asm or c for the soc's on die real time processor not so much, but they're both in the job description

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Phobeste posted:

and of course the other thing is that in a lot of cases you really are riding close enough to the limits of the devices capability that everything really does go, and you really do want macros and bit fields and all that, because embedded development is actually a super broad field. when i'm writing user space software for embedded linux i can follow nice code guidelines. when writing asm or c for the soc's on die real time processor not so much, but they're both in the job description

I remember spending a weekend packing a ton of stuff into bitfields to get under a memory budget on a set-top thing that was embedding our library, only to discover that the extra instructions from manipulating them blew the flash budget for code. :suicide:

Suspicious Dish posted:

:hfive:

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Suspicious Dish posted:

javascript is bad and you are bad for liking it

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
the best thing about javascript is how you can just press f12 on a browser and start doing magic. it feels so nice and I guess it's the best thing for teaching.

other than that, well

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

JewKiller 3000 posted:

javascript is bad and you are bad for liking it

Nope.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol if you arent manipulating bitfields and still calling it embedded

embedded is the fine art of janitoring bitfields

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yospos, what's the least poo poo option for Document style database? I have an idea I want to play around with and its a shoe in for document oriented rather than relational data structure.

User driven schema, storing documents in a way that preserves their structure expecting changes over time, use of map reduce for analysis.

That said, I don't know much about NoSQL databases, what's the least poo poo option out there that doesn't play fast and loose with consistency?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mongo db is web scale

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
postgres hstore seems pretty good although i haven't had the chance to use it yet:

http://postgresguide.com/sexy/hstore.html

if you tweak mongo though you can get "good enough" consistency, especially if you're just playing with an idea. most of the consistency issues are because of the time to replicate to multiple servers, at which point the engine doesn't wait for all servers to confirm the write to return a success state. you can write every document to disk right away as soon as it comes in.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yospos, what's the least poo poo option for Document style database? I have an idea I want to play around with and its a shoe in for document oriented rather than relational data structure.

User driven schema, storing documents in a way that preserves their structure expecting changes over time, use of map reduce for analysis.

That said, I don't know much about NoSQL databases, what's the least poo poo option out there that doesn't play fast and loose with consistency?

Lotus Domino

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Maluco Marinero posted:

Riak

DynamoDB if you want it in the cloud

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I want it in my butt.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Maluco Marinero posted:

Can you do what you want to do with a filesystem? If so, use a filesystem.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Maluco Marinero posted:

have u tries a filesystem? i hear u can make em distributed, and run map reuse over them useing hadup

quote:

remeber to call fsync good luck!!

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Zombywuf posted:

Can you do what you want to do with a filesystem? If so, use a filesystem.

quoting this

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

CJS: replacing expensive database system with nice cheap files

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

tef posted:

quoting this

i was doing nosql before i heard of nosql. happier times

knowing more buzzwords make your life worse