Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Funny how God told him to do the 9/12 project, the Restoring Honor rally, America's First Christmas, his International 'Stand with Israel' Tour, and supporting Mitt Romney, and none of that poo poo worked.
God is loving trolling you Glenn.
Or you are schizo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SedanChair posted:

Let's all get together and call Allen West friend of the family, that ought to get it done. There's no blow too low to land on that huckster.

Not the same at all and you know it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

happyhippy posted:

Funny how God told him to do the 9/12 project, the Restoring Honor rally, America's First Christmas, his International 'Stand with Israel' Tour, and supporting Mitt Romney, and none of that poo poo worked.
God is loving trolling you Glenn.
Or you are schizo.

He did well for himself. Clearly god helps those who help themselves.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

beatlegs posted:

"Not loving surprising", hmmmm. I remember nothing about that. It frankly seems like the kind of thing only a right wing concern troll would remember. Hmmmmm.

If there's anything I'm known for on this thread it's for being a Right Winger.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

rkajdi posted:

Not the same at all and you know it.

It's actually identical? Slut shaming is just as gross as racism, and prude shaming is the same ugly controlling impulse as slut shaming.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 17, 2014

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Christine O'Donnell has a thousand moronic opinions so shaming her over some sexual encounter she had in her college years is obviously unnecessary. Let's not get into some stupid discussion about relative levels of Ok Or Not Ok over this when the more important question remains: Is it masturbation OK when "The Bible says that lust in your heart is committing adultery. So you can't masturbate without lust."

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
http://www.mediaite.com/online/science-blame-chinese-air-pollution-for-americas-terrible-weather/

Science: Blame Chinese Air Pollution for America’s Terrible Weather

Republicans have now found a reason to believe in Climate Change.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

joeburz posted:

Let's not get into some stupid discussion about relative levels of Ok Or Not Ok

No, let's get into it. Because this:

Zeroisanumber posted:

If I thought that calling Allen West a friend of the family would only hurt Allen West, then I might agree with this unironically.

Lets me know what I can still count on from a ton of white liberals. Optics is the only thing keeping them from acting racist.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
There communizm is screwing up are whether!

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

SedanChair posted:

Let's all get together and call Allen West friend of the family, that ought to get it done. There's no blow too low to land on that huckster.

There's nothing acceptable about using that word. It's no more okay in this context than it was when white frat boys started quoting Dave Chappelle, or when (back in the mid-1990s) white folks decided it was okay to quote large sections of Tarantino's monologue from "Pulp Fiction."

Just loving stop.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

SedanChair is black

nematode antipode
Feb 26, 2014
Of course, Beck's probably just going to abandon this if it doesn't work.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

SedanChair is black

He's his own black friend.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

SedanChair posted:

No, let's get into it. Because this:

Lets me know what I can still count on from a ton of white liberals. Optics is the only thing keeping them from acting racist.

I doubt anyone cares to entertain your theatre with the magic beans of hidden racism. If you want to have an actual discussion about that topic you should probably start off somewhere other than tired assumptive reasoning from a one liner post, even if it was poo poo.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/science-blame-chinese-air-pollution-for-americas-terrible-weather/

Science: Blame Chinese Air Pollution for America’s Terrible Weather

Republicans have now found a reason to believe in Climate Change.

Is this paper actually published yet or is this just the abstract release? The only numbers the abstract gives appear solely regarding cloud forcing levels which actually showed net positive effect on radiation flux. The rest of their conclusion points to bad news so they obviously consider the weather effects to outweigh any benefit but it seems odd they would highlight those values in the abstract.

esto es malo fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 17, 2014

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

SedanChair is black

So is Dave Chappelle. And Chris Rock. And Quentin Tarantino has a lot of black friends.

Whether SedanChair is black is immaterial.

The point is that people who hear/read a racist slur used repeatedly become desensitized to it, or (as in the case of Chris Rock) assume it's okay in certain social contexts.

And it's not.

And that includes in here, where we like to imagine ourselves to be capable of a generally higher caliber of discussion than the comments section at Reddit.

Edit: Fine, man, whatever you say. Have a blast.
\/\/\/\/

Walter fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 17, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Doot doot doot, white liberal prescriptivism on display.

First 400 years: "friend of the family!"
Next 400 years: "quit saying friend of the family!"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I listen to rap music, what's my monthly N bomb allowance?

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

SedanChair posted:

God forbid people with comparative power differentials compared to other people have opinions on things. Set us straight.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

menino posted:

Set us straight.

OK, thanks for the opportunity.

Don't make fun of women for refusing to have sex with you! And don't call black people niggers, and if you can manage it, try to do that out of genuine empathy rather than pragmatism or concern for appearances.

I have spoken.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Phone posted:

I listen to rap music, what's my monthly N bomb allowance?

I once attended a KKK rally as a protestor with three of my black friends. So it's okay if I call black people racist slurs...

I'm playing my "black friend" card. Good for three n-words and two derogatory uses of the phase, "urban youth."

Or I could, you know, continue to consider to find any use of such phrasing and words disgusting no matter who uses them.

Walter fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 17, 2014

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I don't feel comfortable with the terms white and black. Can I use oppressor and oppressed instead?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Are you in a rural or urban location and what time of day is it?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Walter posted:

I'm playing my "black friend" card. Good for three n-words and two derogatory uses of the phase, "urban youth."

What's the mana cost?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Walter, honest question, what is your opinion of the reclamation of slurs? And how do you feel about the word queer?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Walter posted:

I once attended a KKK rally as a protestor with three of my black friends. So it's okay if I call black people racist slurs...

Or I could, you know, continue to consider to find any use of such phrasing and words disgusting no matter who uses them.

Dancing around the stupid word is no less harmful, and n-word means friend of the family, we all know it, and when you say n-word you are saying loving friend of the family.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

SedanChair posted:

What can you count on from "a ton" of white conservatives? Or black conservatives?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Unzip and Attack posted:

What can you count on from "a ton" of white conservatives? Or black conservatives?

Oh, I always knew what I could count on from them!

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012
I'll just say that I agree with the idea that I don't need to criticize a person on the basis any conservative would. I don't believe in witches and I believe slut-shaming is a stuipid idea, so I wouldn't seriously entertain the idea of insulting any woman by calling her a slut or a witch, no matter how vile she is. Someone above mentions that there are plenty of legitimate things to criticize these people for without dipping into the shallow pool of poo poo they didn't choose to be (gender, race, sexual orientation, etc.) or dumb poo poo that doesn't matter (I really don't care about her sexual habits as long as everyone involved is a consenting adult) and I agree with that.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

^^^^ You could possibly make a case about one's judgment based on the witchcraft thing, but it's low hanging fruit.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Dancing around the stupid word is no less harmful, and n-word means friend of the family, we all know it, and when you say n-word you are saying loving friend of the family.

SedanChair made a good point when he said "if you can manage it, try to do that out of genuine empathy rather than pragmatism or concern for appearances." The word itself may cause harm simply by its utterance even in the most benign conversation, but there is still varying levels of potential value. I disagree slightly with the end of his statement though because obfuscating the word in the valuable cases is both ineffective and universally awkward while at risk of deflecting focus.

However, pointing at a flippant comment chosen in bad taste by Zeroisanumber as Exhibit A of the systemic woes of liberal hypocrisy is basically troll bait.

esto es malo fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 17, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

joeburz posted:

However, pointing at a flippant comment chosen in bad taste by Zeroisanumber as Exhibit A of the systemic woes of liberal hypocrisy is basically troll bait.

Well I was a little taken aback by it. It was tough for me to read it any other way than "I'm itching to call black people I disagree with 'friend of the family.'"

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

The whole "Christine O'Donnel is a witch" thing came from a video of her showing off her born-again bonafides by claiming she dabbled in witchcraft before finding Jesus in what was pretty much the christian nutjob version the classic Four Yorkshiremen sketch. She completely deserves to be made fun of for it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Sharkie posted:

But the government does penalize hateful thoughts, and thoughts and associations are actionable: if you're the right color or religion. Muslims in NYC were followed, spied upon, and questioned just because they went to mosques or ethnic restaurants. That's not even penalizing hateful thoughts, that's penalizing, or at least placing increased scrutiny upon, one's associations. If this guy were doing everything else exactly the same, but he was a Muslim, there's a good chance something could have been done -- not that this absolutely could have been prevented, but who knows. I don't think Intel is advocating this sort of thing, just acknowledging that this is the sort of country we live in, but certain people get a pass, especially when officials are sympathetic to them, pointing out that this guy's race and probably religion saved him from similar increased scrutiny.

If the guy was a Muslim, the Mayor certainly would have involved other agencies to try and do something, but because he was a white guy the Mayor kind of agreed with, he just threw up his hands and said "welp." If the guy had a foreign-sounding name and posted on "Jihad Daily" instead of stormfront, almost certainly something would have been done.

Pretty much. I'm not saying I love the idea of living in a half-assed police state, but if I'm gonna live in a half-assed police state then I'd appreciate it if we could use it to at least stop racist mass murderers who are widely known in their own community as having the means and motive to shoot a bunch of jews dead while screaming heil hitler. I would say even if you're running a crooked operation where you only really care about brown/muslim terrorists, you'd at least want to bring that guy in if you want any sort of cover or plausible deniability at all for it.

There's a difference between Orwell-esque thoughtcrime and letting a guy live and let live when even the mayor of the town he lives in hears about how he went on a racially motivated killing spree and says "Oh yeah, saw that one coming a mile away, I don't even need a second source on that poo poo. He was yelling heil hitler in the cruiser when you got him right? Yeah? Nailed it. :smugdog:"

I can't tell you exactly where the line is drawn but if being a muslim in NYC or having a meeting for occupy is enough to draw an undercover cop to your meetings then I would say this guy probably meets the standard as well.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I am a bad person who makes fun of stupid people and I leave a wake of perpetuated harms.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

SedanChair posted:

Well I was a little taken aback by it. It was tough for me to read it any other way than "I'm itching to call black people I disagree with 'friend of the family.'"

I'm a lot of flavors of rear end in a top hat, but I'm not that kind. My point was that if I thought it was politically expedient I'd call pretty much anyone on the other side anything if I thought that it gave my side the advantage. Obviously, I wouldn't actually call Alan Keyes a friend of the family because it hurts a hell of a lot of people who aren't giant piece of poo poo huckster motherfuckers like Alan Keyes, but I don't worry about whether or not I'm being a hypocrite by roasting chucklefucks like Christine O'Donnell for dabbling in paganism and boning dudes. These people are out to gently caress the world up for the benefit of a few, so I'm not going to toss away worthwhile rhetorical weapons just because they're mean.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Republicans posted:

The whole "Christine O'Donnel is a witch" thing came from a video of her showing off her born-again bonafides by claiming she dabbled in witchcraft before finding Jesus in what was pretty much the christian nutjob version the classic Four Yorkshiremen sketch. She completely deserves to be made fun of for it.

I just remember the video where she proudly proclaimed "I am not a witch", which sounds like witch talk to me.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

As a Delawarean, I an so, so sorry for inflicting Christine O'Donnell on the world. We're doing everything in our power to not embarrass ourselves that badly again.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

SedanChair posted:

Don't make fun of women for refusing to have sex with you!

Wait, which poster was trying to have sex with Christine O'Donnell?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm a lot of flavors of rear end in a top hat, but I'm not that kind. My point was that if I thought it was politically expedient I'd call pretty much anyone on the other side anything if I thought that it gave my side the advantage. Obviously, I wouldn't actually call Alan Keyes a friend of the family because it hurts a hell of a lot of people who aren't giant piece of poo poo huckster motherfuckers like Alan Keyes, but I don't worry about whether or not I'm being a hypocrite by roasting chucklefucks like Christine O'Donnell for dabbling in paganism and boning dudes. These people are out to gently caress the world up for the benefit of a few, so I'm not going to toss away worthwhile rhetorical weapons just because they're mean.

This is literally what guys like Limbaugh say but with Hillary stuck in or whatever. If you have a system of ethics, those ethics should not be flexible depending what political party is involved. I disagree with HOW bad some posters made the piece that started this sound, but yea it was a stupid, petty, thing to do regardless of political team, and it should be embarrassing for either side's journalists to do.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Wait, which poster was trying to have sex with Christine O'Donnell?

We started off talking not about the witch thing, but about this.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Reminds me of that smear on Christine O'Donnell. She was a bad politician but it was really lovely and petty when liberal rags started cracking jokes about a relatively tame sexual encounter she had with a guy in college. IIRC guy wanted her to put out, she was awkward and didn't, and he and some publication basically shamed the poo poo out of her for it, cracked vicious jokes at her expensive, etc.

Googled it, and it was Gawker, not loving surprising in the slightest.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
drat. Now I have to live with that typo. Thanks Obama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

SedanChair posted:

Which do you prefer, if you had to choose?