Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Grand Fromage posted:

Why would you want to get rid of the part that has the most flavor? :psyduck:

What part do you think has the most flavor? If you aren't browning it, clarifying meat is not unheard of. What's odd is that most of the dishes that do that add other things that cause you to lose that visual clarity. Especially with 'messy' butchery i could see why you want to get some impurities out.

That Old Ganon posted:

I'm in southern California, and I am crazy interested in this.

Oh man, basically anything works for you down there especially if you have a k town. Do you have a projected farmers market list put out by the city? What people are planning to grow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

DontAskKant posted:

What part do you think has the most flavor? If you aren't browning it, clarifying meat is not unheard of. What's odd is that most of the dishes that do that add other things that cause you to lose that visual clarity. Especially with 'messy' butchery i could see why you want to get some impurities out.

The fat. They're not clarifying any sauces here. The combination of never browning meat and removing as much fat as possible just seems like blandness. I guess that's why you cover it in so much gochujang you couldn't taste the meat anyway.

Or I'm making up for a misspent youth of cutting fat off things.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 17, 2014

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

The fat. They're not clarifying any sauces here. The combination of never browning meat and removing as much fat as possible just seems like blandness. I guess that's why you cover it in so much gochujang you couldn't taste the meat anyway.

Or I'm making up for a misspent youth of cutting fat off things.

There's plenty of fat in things. It's in a layer on top.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

DontAskKant posted:

There's plenty of fat in things. It's in a layer on top.

But if you're boiling the fat out and discarding the liquid?

I mean when I make a soupy thing and the pork is fattier than I want, I cut the excess fat off before cooking and save it for flavoring other stuff.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

I mean when I make a soupy thing and the pork is fattier than I want, I cut the excess fat off before cooking and save it for flavoring other stuff.

Well that's because you come from a culture where food is sometimes hard to come by and you were taught to make the most of it.

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.

Grand Fromage posted:

The "get rid of the smell" thing is commonly cited for various meat prep techniques here, such as preboiling, soaking in vinegar, or soaking in milk. I suspect this is a holdover from the famine days when you couldn't be picky about how rotten your food was, much like the standard cooking technique of boiling things forever makes sense if they're questionably safe. I skip all those steps and instead throw my meat away if it smells. And I get live shellfish instead of boiling dead ones for 30 minutes to sterilize them.
The "meat taste" thing is a legitimate thing for Koreans which is why most Koreans won't eat lamb.

I've blind-tested this on my wife. Whenever I cook with some meat such as chicken thigh, if I don't soak it in some cooking wine for a while she will without fail make some comment about the "meat taste". Personally I can't taste the difference at all.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Xarb posted:

The "meat taste" thing is a legitimate thing for Koreans which is why most Koreans won't eat lamb.

I've blind-tested this on my wife. Whenever I cook with some meat such as chicken thigh, if I don't soak it in some cooking wine for a while she will without fail make some comment about the "meat taste". Personally I can't taste the difference at all.

This, I don't mind the taste but I can detect a definite difference between boiled-and-cleaned beef/pork or just straight up boiled beef/pork. My fiancee is really picky about it, and I don't mind "cleaning" it cause I have a bad heart anyways so reducing fat intake and what not is just a generally good idea.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Complaining about meat tasting like meat sums up so much of how I feel about (some) Korean food.

E: I'm having a bad year and gonna stop posting complaints about dumb cooking. Looking forward to an actual side by side taste test to see what's up.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 17, 2014

Leopold Stotch
Jun 30, 2007
So I've heard the beef prices come up a few times, and out of curiosity, here in Massachusetts I pay about $4 / lb to $8 / lb depending on how fancy of a grocery store I go to. What are korean prices like on short rib?

USMC_Karl posted:

Then again, my Galbijjim comes out nothing like Leopold Scotch's, for starters I don't blend all of the vegetables into a past but rather chop them up a little smaller than his and boil it all in the water together. Lets you eat some vegetables along with your beef, and chunks up the galbijjim overall. Next time I make it I can document how my fiance and I do it if you like.

Please do, I'd be curious. With two people it's even easier to take photos.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't remember short rib off hand, last time I got cuts for steak it was a bit over $30 a pound. Ground beef at Costco is maybe $12 a pound if you're lucky, at a Korean store it's $20+.

That's for imports, the Korean variety of wagyu called hanu is minimum $50 a pound, often more.

For comparison, a whole one kilo chicken on sale is about $6, and I currently have some pork cutlets in the fridge from Costco for making tonkatsu, they were $10 for 1.2 kilo. A two to two and a half kilo pork shoulder usually runs me about $25.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 17, 2014

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DontAskKant posted:

Oh man, basically anything works for you down there especially if you have a k town. Do you have a projected farmers market list put out by the city? What people are planning to grow?
It'd actually be easier if you gave me an idea on what to start out with so I can find something specific. There definitely will be plums starting in May.

Guava??

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Leopold Stotch posted:

So I've heard the beef prices come up a few times, and out of curiosity, here in Massachusetts I pay about $4 / lb to $8 / lb depending on how fancy of a grocery store I go to. What are korean prices like on short rib?

I go to a local butcher because I'm a sappy loyal customer and don't mind paying more, I usually pay about $15-20 for a pound of ground beef. Of course, depends on cut and quality, but I'm buying Korean beef so the prices tend to be high. I bought 3 kilos of steak cuts and bulgogi for my fiancee's parents last holiday and it cost me about $150.

quote:

Please do, I'd be curious. With two people it's even easier to take photos.

Roger that, I'll try to document it when it happens. No guarantee it'll happen soon, but I'll try to see if my fiancee is down for some galbijjim this weekend.

Grand Fromage posted:

Complaining about meat tasting like meat sums up so much of how I feel about (some) Korean food.

E: I'm having a bad year and gonna stop posting complaints about dumb cooking. Looking forward to an actual side by side taste test to see what's up.

Haha, while I get what you're saying it's not some kind of culinary travesty. I'd say that the Korean style of boil-drain-boil works well when you do it to get rid of the excess fat and blood in the meat. My fiancee and I just boil it for a bit and dump it. I guess one could say it's a little more bland, but I kind of like it. The dish itself tends to be less.... rich (I can't remember the English word off the top of my head, less 느끼해) while still maintaining a good beef flavor and letting the vegetables have a little more effect on the dish. Of course, everyone has their own style and what not.

Also, I would totally be interested in learning how to do plum stuff. I'm thinking of making 매실주 this year (since I can't do beer ㅠㅠ) and having a non-alcoholic alternative might be nice once in a while :D

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Do you guys want pictures with the process? I can tell you how now, or you can wait for pictures.

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER

hallo spacedog posted:

Japanese drink it in cold oolong tea sometimes which is actually pretty good.

I know i'm a page late, but in the summertime it's also great 50/50 with mugicha (cold barley tea) and plenty of ice. It also helps that it's not caffeinated if you are drinking at night. I know this because it's a law in my house to have a jug of mugicha in the fridge whenever it gets anywhere over 80 degrees outside.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DontAskKant posted:

Do you guys want pictures with the process? I can tell you how now, or you can wait for pictures.
I can wait for pictures.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

DontAskKant posted:

If there's interest I'll do a primer on making Korean fermented teas. It's almost Korean plum/maesil/매실 season and that means little old ladies hauling carts with 50kg of sugar and 50kg of fruit.

The Korean fermented teas are usually fruit mixed with sugar and let sit for at least 30 days for some like quince and lemon and up to 10 years for some 매실청. They are usually mixed with hot water or cold water and served with ice (this is new). I've been turning yuja tea into fast hot toddies and the unripe peach version is great as a whisky cocktail. Used in culinary stuff too. I'd suggest ignoring most of the health cures they purport to have though.

Don't worry non Asia living folk there is stuff you can do too. Just tell me where you live and I can tell you what you can use.

I live in Oregon and this sounds like a really tasty thing to do. Specifically, I'm in the Willamette Valley.

Should I toast barley and/or corn before making tea of it? Can I just buy whole barley and soak that in water? Are there any special steps I need to worry about?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I live in Oregon and this sounds like a really tasty thing to do. Specifically, I'm in the Willamette Valley.

Should I toast barley and/or corn before making tea of it? Can I just buy whole barley and soak that in water? Are there any special steps I need to worry about?

Get a bunch of unhulled barley grains and toast them. There, you got the base for barley tea, now just add them to simmering water and wait a few minutes and you got tea. It is like the most easiest thing to do, and you get this really great nutty tea out of it in the end. I usually make a whole pitcher of it at a time and drink it cold.

I almost never measure properly, but if that's your thing then I'm usually supposed to use about half a cup of toasted barley for every 10 cups of water. Boil time of either 20 minutes or whenever I remember to tend to the pot, it really doesn't matter since oversteeping barley tea doesn't taste as astringent as it would with tea leaves.

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 30, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

pandaK posted:

Get a bunch of unhulled barley grains and toast them. There, you got the base for barley tea, now just add them to simmering water and wait a few minutes and you got tea. It is like the most easiest thing to do, and you get this really great nutty tea out of it in the end.

I was hoping it was that easy, thanks. Time to buy a fuckton of barley, and some corn.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

The corn silk is also used for tea. I'm not entirely sure about the prep for that, but you could start saving and dry those. The toasted barley for the tea is not the same as roasted barley used for brewing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I made dalkdoritang (닭도리탕) for the first time.

I used the Maangchi recipe (http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/dakbokkeumtang) as a base with the following changes:

Giant green onions for all the onions, since they're on sale here at the moment.
Added a carrot at the beginning, and chopped napa cabbage at the end as well as glass noodles.
Doubled the gochugaru, it still wasn't all that spicy though. Next time I'll triple it or add more hot sauce of a different sort and see how that goes.
Took out the sugar, added two tablespoons of rice wine and three or four (didn't measure and added more toward the end) of rice vinegar, it sorely needed some acid.
Added some chopped ginger.
Toward the end I thought the flavor was a bit flat, so I added the extra vinegar mentioned above, some fish sauce, and MSG. That perked it right up and it was great.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Okay so I'm tardy on this and I don't have my own blog post yet, so I'm dropping this here.

http://kimchimari.com/2013/07/21/green-plum-syrup-%EB%A7%A4%EC%8B%A4%EC%B2%AD-maesil-chung/

Her romanization is pretty bad, but it's a pretty standard recipe and the only English one I've found online.

The basic process is to take some fruit and layer it in a 1:1 ratio by weight of fruit and sugar being a bit heavier on sugar for most things. You can do it with citrus, onions, figs, plums, apples, quince almost anything. Eggplant is actually supposed to be interesting as a syrup added to savory things. This produces a syrup that goes through a diastatic fermentation and is a little sour sometimes. It will produce some co2 but isn't carbonated. Shouldn't be boozy, that's another drink tradition.

After 90-100 days you'll have a syrup to use for hot or ice tea or to add to marinades.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I'm taking the stems off the second 10kg batch. It's taking forever and I keep on getting too drunk by 2 hours in. I probably don't need to, but I don't really understand sunk costs it seems.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I found a recipe for gosu burritoes. Is this recipe legitimately korean?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Korea is known for its love of Burritos and cheese.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

DontAskKant posted:

Okay so I'm tardy on this and I don't have my own blog post yet, so I'm dropping this here.

http://kimchimari.com/2013/07/21/green-plum-syrup-%EB%A7%A4%EC%8B%A4%EC%B2%AD-maesil-chung/

Her romanization is pretty bad, but it's a pretty standard recipe and the only English one I've found online.

The basic process is to take some fruit and layer it in a 1:1 ratio by weight of fruit and sugar being a bit heavier on sugar for most things. You can do it with citrus, onions, figs, plums, apples, quince almost anything. Eggplant is actually supposed to be interesting as a syrup added to savory things. This produces a syrup that goes through a diastatic fermentation and is a little sour sometimes. It will produce some co2 but isn't carbonated. Shouldn't be boozy, that's another drink tradition.

After 90-100 days you'll have a syrup to use for hot or ice tea or to add to marinades.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I'm taking the stems off the second 10kg batch. It's taking forever and I keep on getting too drunk by 2 hours in. I probably don't need to, but I don't really understand sunk costs it seems.

This is really awesome, btw. My grandmother gives me a bottle when she makes a batch, and it is awesome for all seasons. I personally love it during the summer when I dilute the concentrate with some ice and water (or barley tea!), but the problem is making it last till summer :P

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Archer2338 posted:

This is really awesome, btw. My grandmother gives me a bottle when she makes a batch, and it is awesome for all seasons. I personally love it during the summer when I dilute the concentrate with some ice and water (or barley tea!), but the problem is making it last till summer :P

If you do what I do it'll last. Make batches from 20kg of fruit.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I just farted quite loudly

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
What does everyone use for their bulgogi marinade?

Mine usually consists of...

1/3 cup soy sauce
1 tbl sugar
2 cloves minced garlic
1 grated onion
1 grated apple/pear
some chopped green onions

Just wondering what other variations I can try out there that works for others

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
What techniques do you use to cut/shred the meat? I haven't attempted to make bulgugi in ages but that would be a good grill food this summer.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I never make mine without sesame oil. Fits right in there.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

God dammit, mold in the maesil cheong! This is what happens when you don't aerate and let the sugar settle and compact.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

From a Cantonese soup cooking perspective blanching gives you clarity. There's nothing wrong with a heavy meat taste, but texture becomes more granular and the meat taste dulls the flavours of other vegetables. Plus your soup will probably into turn dark brown swamp because of the excess blood.

A good compromise is to actually cook the soup the night before, and when the fat congeals at the top, pour the soup through a strainer. Then brown your main meets and let it stay in the soup for an hour before serving.

Obviously I have no idea if this is acceptable in Korean cooking.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
There was some Korean noodle soup I was trying to recall: a soda style noodle like a ramen noodle, thin sliced beef, kimchi in the soup, and a relatively clear broth that was slightly acidic and slightly sweet but still savoury. I have no idea what to look for when it comes to recipes, but I'd rather like to make something like that tonight since I have a bunch of bok choy kimchi that's getting really ripe in the fridge that I'd like to use up to make more room for new batches soon. Any ideas?

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Mr. Wiggles posted:

There was some Korean noodle soup I was trying to recall: a soda style noodle like a ramen noodle, thin sliced beef, kimchi in the soup, and a relatively clear broth that was slightly acidic and slightly sweet but still savoury. I have no idea what to look for when it comes to recipes, but I'd rather like to make something like that tonight since I have a bunch of bok choy kimchi that's getting really ripe in the fridge that I'd like to use up to make more room for new batches soon. Any ideas?

Naengmyun?
If it had clear broth, it's probably 물냉면:

If you like kimchi/spicy stuff, I'd recommend 비빔냉면:

Less broth, more thick 고추장-based sauce that you mix the noodles in.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I guess I didn't think to compare it to naengmyun, since that's cold noodles and what I was thinking of was served hot. Similar flavor profile, though. I suppose it would be like hot naengmyun but with extra kimchi and maybe some charred onions instead of fresh vegetables.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Where did you have it? What province? Gangwon?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Los Angeles.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Kalguksu?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yes, that's it. Turns out I was remembering a kimchi kalguksu that came with slices of seared beef in it.

Thank you!

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I really should have called it by its literal translation - knife noodles.

I'm planning on taking some short ribs I've been sous viding and making a sort of deconstructed kalbi jjim with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Los Angeles.

Okay yeah that makes more sense. Didn't sound like a dish in Korea.

• Locked thread