Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

esquilax posted:

I can't tell if you're joking or not, but I doubt WWII Germany would have made a map that split out Austria, split up Yugoslavia, or predicted Kaliningrad so accutately.

That map was based off of this Nazi propaganda poster.

Which in turn was based off of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

esquilax posted:

I can't tell if you're joking or not, but I doubt WWII Germany would have made a map that split out Austria, split up Yugoslavia, or predicted Kaliningrad so accutately.

It looks like a modern map with adjusted German borders based on some older map, probably WW2 propaganda. I remember seeing a map like that, maybe in this very thread?

EDIT: Yup ^^^

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Pakled posted:

That map was based off of this Nazi propaganda poster.

Which in turn was based off of this.

Heh, fair enough I guess. I would note that the three inconsistencies I found do not appear on the original propaganda map.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I like how the mapmaker even went to the trouble of renaming cities with German names in Switzerland, but then got to Bern and was all :effort:. Come on, Verona was called Bern in the legends about Theoderic the Great, surely that stuff goes both ways.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Kerouac's map of his first trip in On the Road.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Smirr posted:

I like how the mapmaker even went to the trouble of renaming cities with German names in Switzerland, but then got to Bern and was all :effort:. Come on, Verona was called Bern in the legends about Theoderic the Great, surely that stuff goes both ways.

And for some reason Austria becomes Italian when it takes over a lot of Bavarian territory.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

lullelulle posted:

The siege of Constantinople, now called Istanbul. Somewhat relevant because of the Golden Dawn in Greece.

What does this have to do with Golden Dawn?

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

Count Roland posted:

Golden dawn is quite irredentist and wants to revive the Megali Idea which would include 'retaking' Istanbul.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Count Roland posted:

Irredentism? So they're saying that the Golden Dawn would like to take Istanbul back and turn it back into Constantinople.

Edit: Yeah.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

lullelulle posted:

Golden dawn is quite irredentist and wants to revive the Megali Idea which would include 'retaking' Istanbul.

haha, wow. Its only been 500+ years, why not? Might as well take Persia too, Alexander had it for a little while.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Count Roland posted:

haha, wow. Its only been 500+ years, why not? Might as well take Persia too, Alexander had it for a little while.

Sorry, that belongs to Macedonia:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Count Roland posted:

Nationalists are a special people.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Count Roland posted:

But Constantinople was the center and capital of the Eastern Roman Greek Empire for roughly ten centuries, so they held it longer than the Turks. Their claim is certainly much stronger than any they have to Persia, apart from the fact that the Romans Greeks built the city in the first place.

Actually, I think quite a few people in Europe would be happy about the Greeks taking Istanbul, because it would make Turkey ineligible to join the EU...

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Count Roland posted:

To be fair, even though it was ruled by the Ottomans/Turkey, there were a lot of Greeks living in those areas until the ethnic cleansing in the 1920s. Istanbul had a substantial Greek population until the pogroms in the '50s

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

lullelulle posted:

Then we could have a 4th crusade part 2 and raze Constantinople again, this time full of nazis.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Torrannor posted:

But Constantinople was the center and capital of the Eastern Roman Greek Empire for roughly ten centuries, so they held it longer than the Turks. Their claim is certainly much stronger than any they have to Persia, apart from the fact that the Romans Greeks built the city in the first place.

Actually, I think quite a few people in Europe would be happy about the Greeks taking Istanbul, because it would make Turkey ineligible to join the EU...

No it wouldn't.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I would love to see Greek Nazis trying to take Istanbul, hopefully they would dress up like the spartans from 300 as well to make it even more hilarious.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

lullelulle posted:

Its worth mentioning that some of the Anatolian coast had Greek majorities into the 20th century.

Luckily for Turkey 1914-1923 saw their Greek and Armenian problem disappear for some reason, still have to sort out the Kurds though!

Here's a more detailed map from the period with unfortunate wording from said period (Mohammedans :negative:):

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 17, 2014

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
What's the second group listed under "Mohammedans"? I can't read it even at full resolution.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
e: misread

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Monkey Man posted:

What's the second group listed under "Mohammedans"? I can't read it even at full resolution.

Pomaks, or Bulgarian Muslims.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

The Monkey Man posted:

Bosniaks?

e: nvm

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Ormi posted:

Sorry, that belongs to Macedonia:

That map always confused me. Wasn't Alexander born in Pella? It was certainly his, and his father's, throne city. The city is within the borders of Greece, so why do Macedonians insist he was Macedonian and not Greek?

I mean, I don't care about them calling themselves Macedonian, nor being proud of being the same ethnicity (are they even that?) or sharing history with Alexander the Great, but he's unambiguously born and was ruler of a state that lies within the borders of contemporary Greece, right? Or did all of my history textbooks and the museum in Pella lie to me? :(

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Count Roland posted:

It really isn't that far-fetched, a lot of people at the turn of the twentieth century assumed that Istanbul would inevitably fall into Greek or at least European hands. It's one of the reasons Atatürk is seen as a hero in Turkey, he managed to keep Turkey from becoming a rump state and kickstarted Turkish nationalism and homogeneity in the process.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Deltasquid posted:

That map always confused me. Wasn't Alexander born in Pella? It was certainly his, and his father's, throne city. The city is within the borders of Greece, so why do Macedonians insist he was Macedonian and not Greek?

I mean, I don't care about them calling themselves Macedonian, nor being proud of being the same ethnicity (are they even that?) or sharing history with Alexander the Great, but he's unambiguously born and was ruler of a state that lies within the borders of contemporary Greece, right? Or did all of my history textbooks and the museum in Pella lie to me? :(

Complicating matters is that contemporary Greeks always viewed Alexander (and his dad Philip too for that matter) as barbarians, and since the Greek independence movement drew a lot of cultural propaganda from tying itself to Classical Greece, I can imagine that the mantle of "heirs of Alexander" is kinda sorta up for grabs.

As for the "Greece owns that territory now so Alex should be remembered as Greek" bit, bear in mind that national borders have the somewhat annoying tendency to shift. Modern Greece originally just started off as the Peloponnese, Attica, and some islands. poo poo, even Bulgaria administered that region at one point or another (see: the Balkan Wars). Basically, it's really goddamn dumb to base nationalist fervor on figures and events that came and went 2300 years ago because historical accidents can change a shitton of the context of the past in the modern narrative.

edit: hell, according to a bit of reading I did just after making this post it seems Central Macedonia is a bit less disputed than I thought. I coulda sworn Bulgaria administered Thessaloniki at one point but I guess that wasn't the case?
Pictured: a map of the territorial gains after the First Balkan War, which is the one I thought the Ottomans ceded Thessaloniki to the Bulgarians:

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 18, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
And the issue is likely complicated by Israel (who else), with the period of Jewish rule over the holy land being over for much longer than nearly any other irredentist claims today, and they still got it back. It was a special situation, but I don't think too many irredentists care about that.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Complicating matters is that contemporary Greeks always viewed Alexander (and his dad Philip too for that matter) as barbarians, and since the Greek independence movement drew a lot of cultural propaganda from tying itself to Classical Greece, I can imagine that the mantle of "heirs of Alexander" is kinda sorta up for grabs.

As for the "Greece owns that territory now so Alex should be remembered as Greek" bit, bear in mind that national borders have the somewhat annoying tendency to shift. Modern Greece originally just started off as the Peloponnese, Attica, and some islands. poo poo, even Bulgaria administered that region at one point or another (see: the Balkan Wars). Basically, it's really goddamn dumb to base nationalist fervor on figures and events that came and went 2300 years ago because historical accidents can change a shitton of the context of the past in the modern narrative.

I suppose so, but they still spoke Greek and had a rather Greek culture that didn't exist in the area that is now Macedonia, right?
Anyway, the whole debate is a huge can of worms to be opened.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure that map is a joke, anyway.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Deltasquid posted:

I mean, I don't care about them calling themselves Macedonian, nor being proud of being the same ethnicity (are they even that?)

Of course, they are their own Slav ethnicity with their own nation/Nope, they're just wayward Serbs and/or Bulgarians who are just deluding themselves

There's also a debate about whether Montenegrins are a separate ethnicity with a different language than Serbs

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Texas will be redeemed!

Oklahoma out of occupied Greer County, Texas! :argh:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

VitalSigns posted:

Texas will be redeemed!

Oklahoma out of occupied Greer County, Texas! :argh:

"Captain, we've entered...the Neutral Strip!!!"

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Farecoal posted:

"Captain, we've entered...the Neutral Strip!!!"

I'm a sucker for weird contested strips

The Aouzou strip, a formerly contested territory annexed by Libya in 1936 but now part of Chad following the lengthy Libya-Chad conflict (culminating in the Toyota war).

The Caprivi strip, acquired by Imperial Germany to connect German South West Africa to the Zambezi (and thus Tanganyika). Namibia barely controlled it at the best of times and it served as an important crossroads in Southern Africa exploited by all sides during the Rhodesian Bush War and Angolan Civil War. It also had an active secessionist movement that tried to declare independence back in the 90's but got crushed pretty quickly (not sure how active they are now a days)

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 18, 2014

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

kustomkarkommando posted:

The Aouzou strip, a formerly contested territory annexed by Libya in 1936 but now part of Chad following the lengthy Libya-Chad conflict (culminating in the Toyota war).

The Caprivi strip, acquired by Imperial Germany to connect German South West Africa to the Zambezi (and thus Tanganyika). Namibia barely controlled it at the best of times and it served as an important crossroads in Southern Africa exploited by all sides during the Rhodesian Bush War and Angolan Civil War. It also had an active secessionist movement that tried to declare independence back in the 90's but got crushed pretty quickly (not sure how active they are now a days)

That Caprivi Strip map actually is two politically-loaded maps in one: It highlights the Bantustans separately from South Africa.

EDIT: Another fun fact: while under illegal South African rule (depicted in your image, since Namibia is labeled South-West Africa with a date of 1986), Namibia had its own Bantustans:

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 18, 2014

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Bushmanland needs to exist.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mu Cow posted:

Bushmanland needs to exist.

You're focusing on that rather than on Bastardland?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Why isn't Tswanaland part of Botswana? Or, following up on the inevitable "lol colonial borders" answer, why isn't Tswanaland a bone of contention between Namibia and Botswana if Tswana people actually live there?

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Ofaloaf posted:

Why isn't Tswanaland part of Botswana? Or, following up on the inevitable "lol colonial borders" answer, why isn't Tswanaland a bone of contention between Namibia and Botswana if Tswana people actually live there?

There are more Tswana in South Africa than people in Botswana, yet there doesn't seem to be any sort of movement to join them.

Also the Tswanaland bantustan was in practice mostly inhabited by Herero people who were not even moved out by the apartheid government, presumably because the exceptionally low (less than 1%) population of Tswana in Namibia meant that the territory would have been basically empty had they done so.

Basil Hayden fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 18, 2014

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Ofaloaf posted:

There's a lot of different Tswana groups. I think there's more Tswana living in South Africa than anywhere else, but they're a majority in Botswana. They certainly aren't confined to that small square shown in the map.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

kustomkarkommando posted:

Stuff like this reminds me of Bir Tawil, which may be my favorite place in the world due to the politics of it:

It's in neither Egypt nor Sudan (according to Egypt and Sudan).

Basically long story short, at the turn of the century, there was a straight line created by The White Man at the 22nd parallel, it got tweaked a bit later, which changed the boundaries. Both country claims the border that gives them The Hala'ib Triangle. This leads to neither claiming Bir Tawil.

And I know this has been posted in this thread but it's just so political :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

khwarezm posted:

Its worth mentioning that some of the Anatolian coast had Greek majorities into the 20th century.

Luckily for Turkey 1914-1923 saw their Greek and Armenian problem disappear for some reason, still have to sort out the Kurds though!

Here's a more detailed map from the period with unfortunate wording from said period (Mohammedans :negative:):

Makes one wonder what happened to all the Turks living in Northern Greece. Its almost as though the entire Balkans and Anatolia consists of nations with lots of blood on their hands. Seriously what happened in 1920 was the culmination of 100 years of violence by the various nations.