Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thanks. Downloading now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

DannoMack posted:

What little Heyman did say about Punk is the most we've heard about it. He was a good podcast guest for sure.

What did he say?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

What did he say?

That the only people in that office were Vince, Triple H and Punk, and not one of them has said anything publicly about it so he can't say what "really" happened that night that Punk walked out. He also said he is still in regular contact with Punk but they rarely talk about wrestling, they just shoot the poo poo about tv and sports and the other usual stuff that buddies talk about.

It's a really drat good podcast, just to listen to Heyman enthusiastically discussing content and distribution systems makes it worth your time.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

He also said that The Miz main eventing Wrestlemania really pisses Punk off, but I think that was already pretty well known.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Punk has let that be known on his own documentary.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
What an awful period of wrestling. Miz main eventing, PSP voting him as champion of the year, it had to be temporary insanity. I think we were all just that desperate to have anyone but Cena/Orton be champion, but now the memories bring nothing but shame and odd relics that no longer make sense.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
A breath of fresh air made up for a hell of a lot. Plus that great match he had against Lawler.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Wazzu posted:

A breath of fresh air made up for a hell of a lot. Plus that great match he had against Lawler.

Seriously or are you joking? I wasn't around in 2010 but I wouldn't imagine The Miz and Lawler having a great match.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

Seriously or are you joking? I wasn't around in 2010 but I wouldn't imagine The Miz and Lawler having a great match.

Are we talking about the TLC match?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Miz and Lawler had a great match and even if only for a fleeting moment they probably should have put the title on Jerry

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

DannoMack posted:

http://podcastone.com/Steve-Austin-Show-Clean

He alternates clean shows and uncensored shows apparently.

Considering that was a clean show and edited in parts, there's a moment where Heyman just screams "poo poo" (I forget the context). I don't really know why Austin even tries to do a podcast without profanity.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

JoJoCast Episode 7: Cesario Speedwagon

No we are not dead (loving manflurry), we are back, this time without a board game! We cover the last two weeks of NXT, Smackdown, and this week's Total Divas. Answer some questions and I edit a lot in this podcast, can you tell where they are? I hope so!

Also nothing else happened, nope, nuh uh.

BLANK STOP ASKING ME WHEN THE NEXT EPISODE WILL BE UP, I WORK.

Sex
Blank
Slapnuts

If you want to guest on the podcast, tweet one of us or PM us on SA. Our only real requirement is like, we record on Sundays at 10:30PM EST, which is kind of late for most people.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 16, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Jerusalem posted:

That the only people in that office were Vince, Triple H and Punk, and not one of them has said anything publicly about it so he can't say what "really" happened that night that Punk walked out. He also said he is still in regular contact with Punk but they rarely talk about wrestling, they just shoot the poo poo about tv and sports and the other usual stuff that buddies talk about.

It's a really drat good podcast, just to listen to Heyman enthusiastically discussing content and distribution systems makes it worth your time.

It's also implied that Punk hasn't talked to Vince since he quit ("...it would need that first conversation between Vince and Punk..."), at least to Paul's knowledge.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I'm down for the good word of Jojo being spread more.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
This Heyman-Austin show has a lot of great quotes.

"Sandman... he was the drizzling shits" - Paul Heyman.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Hahaha Come on and Slam anime mashups will never be bad :allears:

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

Orgia Carnaval posted:

JoJoCast Episode 7: Cesario Speedwagon

YOU STOLE MY TWITTER DISPLAY NAME gently caress YOU

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts on Occupy NXT.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Memento posted:

This Heyman-Austin show has a lot of great quotes.

"Sandman... he was the drizzling shits" - Paul Heyman.

His story about Jim Crockett giving him a verbal bitchslap cracked me up.

"I was so angry I rang him straight back up and told him he was right!"

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

sunsweet posted:

I'm sorry Sunsweet. You'll get ten percent of what we make off this episode.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

sunsweet posted:

uh I haven't seen any royalty checks from your blatant appropriation of my mom's misspelling of Cesaro.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

His story about Jim Crockett giving him a verbal bitchslap cracked me up.

"I was so angry I rang him straight back up and told him he was right!"

No love for

"Rob van Dam was a terrible promo, but he connected with people. He said, I'm RVD and I smoke weed. Well, it was true"

Also him outlining how most of the ECW stuff was classic angles reworked was interesting. And he furthers Dave's theory about every great booker having a great teacher. But then he'd do the same angle and tweak it again, I am pretty sure they did it with Raven, except raven really was injured at the time with gout or something.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Punch-or-Piss-podsters:

Is there anyone on the current roster that WWE could present, and that the internet smark "smart-mark" idiot-poo poo community would buy, as a legitimate physical threat to Brock Lesnar in the ring? Who is this person?

Does the next guy who beats Lesnar in WWE even need to be considered a legit physical threat to Lesnar? Or is the underdog story better for the guy who eventually kicks the poo poo out of him?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Interesting story on JR's latest podcast I hadn't heard before. After Wrestlemania 17 when everybody had been paid, the Dudleys, Hardyz and Edge & Christian showed up in JR's office and (firmly and politely) told him they weren't happy with their pay, explaining how they felt their match had been a highlight of the show and generated a ton of interest and cash for the company. JR went to Vince and told him, and Vince immediately replied,"They're right, pay them extra."

I've heard the similar Jericho story before (from Wrestlemania 18 I think?) but this one stood out to me for a couple of reasons. Vince didn't get pissed at them for asking for more, he gave JR discretion to pay whatever extra he thought was warranted, and perhaps most interestingly - while the three teams came to JR as a group, it was Bubba Ray who did all the talking and most of the others just stared at their shoes and didn't make a peep. Considering recent discussion in other threads, I think it is interesting that they were all in agreement that they deserved more cash but it was Bubba Ray who seemingly made them take action. JR tells the story fondly too, but it's also probably one of the closest things I've heard of in WWE to union bargaining which I'm pretty sure JR has said in the past is something that would never be possible in the wrestling industry.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

LordPants posted:

No love for

"Rob van Dam was a terrible promo, but he connected with people. He said, I'm RVD and I smoke weed. Well, it was true"

Also him outlining how most of the ECW stuff was classic angles reworked was interesting. And he furthers Dave's theory about every great booker having a great teacher. But then he'd do the same angle and tweak it again, I am pretty sure they did it with Raven, except raven really was injured at the time with gout or something.

Raven did have gout issues, and had surgery on his foot that required a special boot because one leg was suddenly shorter than the other, but he had to drop the belt the first time because he went to rehab.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The second part of Austin's Heyman interview is even better than the first, the guy is just endlessly fascinating and SOOOOOO good at talking, I could listen to him all day.

Can anybody in the know say whether Heyman's explanation of what happened to ECW is accurate or not? It all sounds entirely reasonable but it does paint ECW in an incredibly sympathetic light and lay all the blame on entirely different parties. Whether it is true or not though, I think his explanation just goes to show that this is a guy who really could sell ice to eskimos.

Also, his gleeful admission of guilt about listening in on DIFFERENT Raw conference calls to the one he was accused of listening in to was hilarious, and he confirms that Vince McMahon really does get furious at sneezes.

Heyman: Is something the matter Vince?
Vince: I sneezed...... dammit, I should be better than that :mad:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Jerusalem posted:

The second part of Austin's Heyman interview is even better than the first, the guy is just endlessly fascinating and SOOOOOO good at talking, I could listen to him all day.

Can anybody in the know say whether Heyman's explanation of what happened to ECW is accurate or not? It all sounds entirely reasonable but it does paint ECW in an incredibly sympathetic light and lay all the blame on entirely different parties. Whether it is true or not though, I think his explanation just goes to show that this is a guy who really could sell ice to eskimos.

Also, his gleeful admission of guilt about listening in on DIFFERENT Raw conference calls to the one he was accused of listening in to was hilarious, and he confirms that Vince McMahon really does get furious at sneezes.

Heyman: Is something the matter Vince?
Vince: I sneezed...... dammit, I should be better than that :mad:

I'm assuming he's still hanging the blame at the feet of TNN and blaming that lovely TV deal he got for ruining the company and the PPV companies for not paying them so they went out of business? They definitely did get messed up by the TV Deal and that caused a lot of problems for them, but at the same time his company was getting raided whenever they had a decently big star, not to mention their product was never going to sell on TV to the mass market anyway. Would a good TV deal have helped them? Sure, but he was getting propped up by Vince's money long before that happened. It was really a situation where the company became too big but without the audience and income to support it. I don't think ECW would have been successful running indy shows with the quarterly PPVs.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

His claim is that they were 7 million dollars in the red, that 4 million of it was his own family's money, and that the guy in charge of OnDemand refused to pay them 2.8million in royalties they were owed. The only TV deal he could get was an offer (I think it was on FSN?) to do four half-hour shows a week in the afternoon, and he ended up having no choice but to declare bankruptcy which left some other poor bastard to work out who was owed what and who owed ECW (Akklaim apparently tried to claim ownership of ECW assets until being reminded they hadn't paid owed royalties themselves) and at the end of it all, Vince McMahon owned everything outright.

Something mindboggling though is his revelation that when he was being courted by Dixie Carter to join TNA, he learned that TNA had at that point (2-3 years ago I think) lost between 70-90 MILLION DOLLARS :psyduck:. He goes on into a (really interesting) diversion further discussing his earlier comments about the importance of distribution, product and finance. He claims that he had the product but not the distribution or the finance, and if he'd had just one of the two he could have soldiered on and gotten the third as a result.

I don't doubt he is painting himself in a more positive light and others in a more negative light than is truly warranted, but goddamn if he doesn't make it all sound so straightforward and reasonable when he does it.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

... but goddamn if he doesn't make it all sound so straightforward and reasonable when he does it.

Heyman's an expert manipulator. that's why so many ECW wrestlers kept working without pay.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

The Rise and Fall of ECW DVD that WWE put out a few years ago actually does a pretty good job of explaining things. Heyman's version isn't that far off the mark but I'm guessing he leaves out his own massive failings as a business person. He really is better off just working in creative. If I remember right, toward the end of ECW, Bubba Ray was essentially running the day-to-day business of the company with some help from a few other wrestlers. It was bad news when he jumped to WWE.

Dunbar fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 17, 2014

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Paul was also incredibly last minute about everything and would, for example, spend way too much money sending tapes out for syndication in areas where ECW didn't even run shows. He made the same mistakes that a lot of his territorial predecessors made, in that he was trying to expand far beyond what he could manage, he overspent without even considering his budget, and once his top guys who were helping him with business got poached by WCW and WWE, he was screwed.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Stone Cold talking about Roid Rats is hilarious.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Heyman calling Mississauga MISSAGWA was funny too.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Dunbar posted:

The Rise and Fall of ECW DVD that WWE put out a few years ago actually does a pretty good job of explaining things. Heyman's version isn't that far off the mark but I'm guessing he leaves out his own massive failings as a business person. He really is better off just working in creative. If I remember right, toward the end of ECW, Bubba Ray was essentially running the day-to-day business of the company with some help from a few other wrestlers. It was bad news when he jumped to WWE.
Yeah Bubba always seems to have a surprisingly good head on his shoulders, the guy is pretty smart.

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

What if the rats just fell down from the roof?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

I lost it when he got to the bit about the rats pole-vaulting in.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah Bubba always seems to have a surprisingly good head on his shoulders, the guy is pretty smart.

What if the rats just fell down from the roof?

Bubba is wresting smart. Let's make that distinction. He's still a loving moron.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ICHIBAHN posted:

Bubba is wresting smart. Let's make that distinction. He's still a loving moron.

He's not even wrestling smart. Doesn't he still take unprotected headshots with chairs and stuff like that?

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!
Bubba is smart, and good, with certain things, and very very dumb when it comes to other things

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The Goog posted:

HulkaMatt had stuff to do, and KFG got picked up by the Chaotic Express, or whatever Adam Rose's bus is called, and so it was just myself and MRT left to do the Ten Count this week.

ah so thats why you asked me to join in.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Bubba was like a 10 year veteran at that point so it makes sense he took the lead, and he's enough of a Type A rear end in a top hat to barge in and demand more money.

This is not to say they didn't deserve a raise for killing themselves in TLC because they absolutely did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

His claim is that they were 7 million dollars in the red, that 4 million of it was his own family's money, and that the guy in charge of OnDemand refused to pay them 2.8million in royalties they were owed. The only TV deal he could get was an offer (I think it was on FSN?) to do four half-hour shows a week in the afternoon, and he ended up having no choice but to declare bankruptcy which left some other poor bastard to work out who was owed what and who owed ECW (Akklaim apparently tried to claim ownership of ECW assets until being reminded they hadn't paid owed royalties themselves) and at the end of it all, Vince McMahon owned everything outright.

Something mindboggling though is his revelation that when he was being courted by Dixie Carter to join TNA, he learned that TNA had at that point (2-3 years ago I think) lost between 70-90 MILLION DOLLARS :psyduck:. He goes on into a (really interesting) diversion further discussing his earlier comments about the importance of distribution, product and finance. He claims that he had the product but not the distribution or the finance, and if he'd had just one of the two he could have soldiered on and gotten the third as a result.

I don't doubt he is painting himself in a more positive light and others in a more negative light than is truly warranted, but goddamn if he doesn't make it all sound so straightforward and reasonable when he does it.

This is more honest than I'd expect Heyman to be. The company owed 9 million at the end. I'm not sure about the OnDemand money, but the rest is pretty accurate. The TV deal they were offered was Sports Channel Ohio and Dreamer really really wanted to take it but Heyman knew they'd just keep losing money with such a small deal.

• Locked thread