Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yes, that was the post I was replying to :confused:

But are you saying for a fact there is literally no difference between the corresponding Audi besides the badge? I'm not sure how you could even know such a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Diesels in regular cars are a pain with a manual, especially if you're used to driving a petrol. They really suit modern dual-clutch autos, though.

My golf tdi manual is great to drive! I tried the dsg first and didn't care for it. I have no idea why you're saying they're a pain.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

HotCanadianChick posted:

http://jalopnik.com/vw-will-bring-an-awd-manual-diesel-wagon-to-america-1562176442

Diesel, Quattro, and manual. Just doesn't have the Audi badges.

E: doh, beaten by Guiness

This hasn't confirmed by VWoA. Like I said in my reply to the guy that beat you, you'll find it on the lot next to the GTD.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Well considering you can already buy a FWD Jetta Sportwagen TDI with a 6-speed manual in the USA, I don't think a 4Motion version of either the Jetta or Golf Sportwagen would be that far-fetched.

And apparently the TDI variants are selling reasonably well, too, at least as of a few months ago: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1086833_volkswagen-august-sales-boosted-by-tdi-diesel-models

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 17, 2014

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

two_beer_bishes posted:

My golf tdi manual is great to drive! I tried the dsg first and didn't care for it. I have no idea why you're saying they're a pain.

because there's no point in revving out a given gear, or holding it in gear to keep it in the power band. With a diesel it's just hhuuhh *shift hhuuhh *shift* hhuuhh *shift*. Sure the torque is nice, but there's no incentive to having control over what gear you're in, it's all over by the time it sounds like it's getting interesting. Diesels are best left to auto gearboxes.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

That's a sexy looking car, but those exhausts, something about em seems so cheap and after-thought-y

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Linedance posted:

because there's no point in revving out a given gear, or holding it in gear to keep it in the power band. With a diesel it's just hhuuhh *shift hhuuhh *shift* hhuuhh *shift*. Sure the torque is nice, but there's no incentive to having control over what gear you're in, it's all over by the time it sounds like it's getting interesting. Diesels are best left to auto gearboxes.
Exactly.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Linedance posted:

This is the only diesel and/or manual diesel I have ever driven, and it seems ok to me:

My experience with it so far has been *put in gear* *let clutch out* *push accelerator for 3 seconds* *hit redline at 2500 RPM* *upshift* *push accelerator for 3 seconds* *hit redline again* *upshift*, repeat ad nauseam until you're in 10 HI.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

This hasn't confirmed by VWoA. Like I said in my reply to the guy that beat you, you'll find it on the lot next to the GTD.

Yeah that Jalopnik article is pure clickbait garbage. It says they're bringing one for an auto show and they run the tag line they're bringing it to the USA.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Morphix posted:

That's a sexy looking car, but those exhausts, something about em seems so cheap and after-thought-y

Any idea what? They remind me of the tigershark stype tips on my Corsa exhaust, so I like the look of them quite a bit. These fan out more at the edges which I don't like but from a distance I doubt I'd notice that. But are you seeing something I'm not here? Are they made of cheap plastic and I just can't see it?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Personally, I don't like the look of center exhausts and wish they'd put two pipes on each side, but I like the rest of the car enough to overlook the one thing I don't care for.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
yep, even if it had 6 inches between the sets it wouldn't look so silly (IMO). :ssh:

Are former Corvette owners in favor of the "4 pipes in a row" look?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Guinness posted:

Well considering you can already buy a FWD Jetta Sportwagen TDI with a 6-speed manual in the USA, I don't think a 4Motion version of either the Jetta or Golf Sportwagen would be that far-fetched.

And apparently the TDI variants are selling reasonably well, too, at least as of a few months ago: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1086833_volkswagen-august-sales-boosted-by-tdi-diesel-models

VWoA sells like 3,600 TDI SportWagen 6-speeds in the US, for a whopping 300 per month or 0.00022% of the new vehicle market. I wouldn't be holding my breath too hard about bringing over another sub-model of an already very niche model. That being said, if there's any shot at all, we have a shot at 4Motion just because of the MQB platform. Previously, it made less than no sense to bring a niche vehicle that would do little to establish brand identity, would add tremendous parts and service complexity, and would not be sold at a premium along the lines of the R models. MQB will make it a lot easier to bring over 4Motion vehicles.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

The new Honda HR-V subcompact crossover looks surprisingly good. Too bad it'll probably just get a Civic engine with a CVT.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Keyser S0ze posted:

yep, even if it had 6 inches between the sets it wouldn't look so silly (IMO). :ssh:

I kind of like having the logo plate recessed in between the sets of 2 on the C5 but I'm not a huge fan of all 4 right together. I think with a redesign as drastic as the C7 was it would have been a good time to just do two on opposite sides but I guess it's a little late now.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Morphix posted:

I don't think the exhausts look cheap, but they don't gel with sharp and angular aesthetic of the C7. These Borla tips go better with the car.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bovril Delight posted:

Yeah that Jalopnik article is pure clickbait garbage. It says they're bringing one for an auto show and they run the tag line they're bringing it to the USA.

They're just doing what VW does.

HEY LOOK AT THIS GTD THAT'S TOTALLY GONNA COME TO THE US!

yeah, we're not actually bringing that to the US...

HEY LOOK AT THIS 4MOTION GOLF WAGON WITH A DIESEL AND A 6 SPEED THAT'S TOTALLY GONNA COME TO THE US!

repeat.

It rallies the fan boys and gets them a little news coverage even though they never bring any of that poo poo here.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Did anyone else notice Wolverine clinging to the undercarriage of this car?

Those tips do go with the look of the car better I agree, but I will say whenever I'm behind a car in traffic it just doesn't sit well with me when you see wide stylized exhausts with just a normal round hole in the middle of them. Same goes for cars that have fancy holes in the bumper then a normal round tip that comes right up to the edge of them.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
See now that works and effectively hides the multiple pipes. I am okay with center exhausts (Porsche Boxster/Cayman).

I just can't handle the 4 in a row look in my old age, it might as well be:

Get off my goddamned lawn.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Keyser S0ze posted:

Also having them two to a side would echo the distinctive 2+2 taillights that every Corvette has had since forever. Also just generally a row of 4 just looks goofy. At that point you might as well just stack them into a cube like Pagani does or just have two big ones or something.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tacier posted:

The new Honda HR-V subcompact crossover looks surprisingly good. Too bad it'll probably just get a Civic engine with a CVT.

It's always had a similar four cylinder to the Accord, why would that change?

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Tekne posted:

I don't think the exhausts look cheap, but they don't gel with sharp and angular aesthetic of the C7. These Borla tips go better with the car.

Along with what others said, the four in a row exhausts look silly to me, the actual layout of them seems off to me for some reason. I think they'd look much better if it was two on each side.

There is so many ways to do quad exhausts that look great, here is another example

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Cream_Filling posted:

Also having them two to a side would echo the distinctive 2+2 taillights that every Corvette has had since forever. Also just generally a row of 4 just looks goofy. At that point you might as well just stack them into a cube like Pagani does or just have two big ones or something.

What about stacks through the roof? :patriot:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, silly question.

The current Sportwagons on lots right now are still based on the last gen Golf, correct? Does anyone know if there's any option package that has the multiple driver memory settings?

I'd just call or visit a dealer, but that's either a long distance call or a 20 hour flight.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

If you ask me, the C7 needs something like a Lamborghini or Koenigsegg-style single exhaust outlet. Preferably with a fuel injector inside so it can spit flames.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I kind of want a 4C now. But something is telling me it's going to be smart to wait at least a year.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

actionjackson posted:

I would say that's the worst thing I've seen this week, but then there's this

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/16/2015-bmw-x4-new-york-2014/

This is precisely the car I imagine as the "future safety car" when I read "A Nice Morning Drive" or listen to "Red Barchetta".

MrChips posted:

If you ask me, the C7 needs something like a Lamborghini or Koenigsegg-style single exhaust outlet. Preferably with a fuel injector inside so it can spit flames.

Two words: Lake Pipes.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Morphix posted:

There is so many ways to do quad exhausts that look great, here is another example

Tag this nsfw please.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Comrade Flynn posted:

I kind of want a 4C now. But something is telling me it's going to be smart to wait at least a year.

I'm super interested provided we actually get it and it meets the rumored $55k base price. I'm definitely in no rush to be the first to own one though...

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

fknlo posted:

I'm super interested provided we actually get it and it meets the rumored $55k base price. I'm definitely in no rush to be the first to own one though...

Their whole "we are going to improve the car every year" announcement is scary. I don't want to get 2001 Z06'd.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

YF19pilot posted:

This is precisely the car I imagine as the "future safety car" when I read "A Nice Morning Drive" or listen to "Red Barchetta".

Two words: Lake Pipes.

One word: zoomies

e- through the hood, like a truck puller

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Comrade Flynn posted:

I wonder how outrageous the insurance is going to be on them.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's always had a similar four cylinder to the Accord, why would that change?

Well, it's using the Fit platform and they'll probably want to price it a few thousand dollars cheaper than the CR-V, so I assumed the 1.5L engine in the current Fit and the Civic engine would be the only options on the table in order to cut costs, and the Fit's engine doesn't seem powerful enough to motivate something that's going to weigh ~3000+lbs. I don't know anything about cars though, so I hope I'm wrong.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
I don't mind the quad exhaust on the Z06 but are those the taillights that will be on the production model?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Tacier posted:

Well, it's using the Fit platform and they'll probably want to price it a few thousand dollars cheaper than the CR-V, so I assumed the 1.5L engine in the current Fit and the Civic engine would be the only options on the table in order to cut costs, and the Fit's engine doesn't seem powerful enough to motivate something that's going to weigh ~3000+lbs. I don't know anything about cars though, so I hope I'm wrong.

I think it's supposed to be the same as the japanese Honda Vezel which is already on sale:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Vezel

quote:

The conventional Vezel is equipped with a 1.5-liter direct-injection DOHC i-VTEC I4 engine coupled to a continuously variable transmission (CVT), and it is available in front-wheel and all-wheel drive versions.

The Vezel hybrid version is equipped with Honda’s next-generation sport hybrid i-DCD system that combines a 97 kW (130 hp), 156 N·m (115 lb·ft) 1.5-liter direct injection engine with a 22 kW (30 hp), 160 N·m (118 lb·ft) motor. The hybrid version fuel economy is 27.0 km/l (76.3 mpg-imp; 63.5 mpg-US) (3.7 L/100km) in the Japanese JC08 cycle, while the gasoline version has a fuel economy of 20.6 km/l (58.2 mpg-imp; 48.5 mpg-US) (4.9 L/100 km) in the JC08 cycle.[1]

The hybrid model is the first Honda hybrid models that is equipped with Honda’s Real Time AWD. It is also Honda's first model that comes with the Reactive Force Pedal, which assists fuel-efficient driving by applying reactive force to the accelerator pedal.[1]

The Japanese version is 2600 lbs by their standards so it'll probably still be pretty light.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tacier posted:

Haha christ, I read it as CR-V and it looks basically the same. But there's no way that thing weighs 3K+.

Edit: I dig the poo poo out of that C-pillar mounted door handle though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 18, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

iwentdoodie posted:

So, silly question.

The current Sportwagons on lots right now are still based on the last gen Golf, correct? Does anyone know if there's any option package that has the multiple driver memory settings?

I'd just call or visit a dealer, but that's either a long distance call or a 20 hour flight.

I don't believe that the JSW has ever offered power seats with memory. Cursory research indicates that's the case on VW's website.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

iwentdoodie posted:

So, silly question.

Not available, my '13 model JSW tdi with nav and sunroof has manual fwd/aft slide, power height and tilt adjustable.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BraveUlysses posted:

Who asks this kind of question in AI?

Someone from where manual and diesel is the povo spec model that you'd be provided as a fleet car (if your boss really hated you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

The Japanese version is 2600 lbs by their standards so it'll probably still be pretty light.

I didn't realize it was so light. I think I was imagining it as a little smaller than a CX-5 when it's probably not much bigger than a Juke.