Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palooka
Mar 13, 2005

MUST...WATCH...ALL...TV

Bobfromsales posted:

Parenthood I'm on to you. You give us 21 episodes of absolute misery just so we feel elated over any amount of hapiness you give the characters in the finale.

Yeah sometimes I wonder why I still watch this show. I've thought about stopping a couple times, had my finger over the DVR delete show option, but then kept watching. I LOVE YOUR BEAUTIFUL MISERY, BRAVERMAN FAMILY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

lelandjs posted:

It's not something I do on purpose. I see a photo of a celebrity and my device recognition skills kick in. It's actually a kinda fun parlor trick.

I am the same way but with voiceovers. Especially for commercials, I can usually name the celebrity within a few seconds. A useless, but fun, little skill.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

Did anyone buy the Wii U?

Yes, it's great.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

After using my roommate's Wii in the living room the past few months I rather jump off a bridge than buy a new Nintendo product.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

VorpalBunny posted:

I am the same way but with voiceovers. Especially for commercials, I can usually name the celebrity within a few seconds. A useless, but fun, little skill.

It's always a male comedy b+ lister

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Fooz posted:

It's always a male comedy b+ lister

You leave Chris Parnell alone!

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I gave him a +

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Fast Luck posted:

The Xbox One has shipped 5 million consoles to date, no numbers on how many have actually sold.

They sold more PS4s in a month than WiiUs were sold in an entire year. Nintendo has already burned through half of their warchest they built up from the Wii and their current president is probably going to lose his job in June. The console is basically dead in the water aside from Nintendo diehards who don't mind dropping $300 to play two Nintendo games a year.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
From a consumer perspective, the WiiU is a lot of fun and has very enjoyable games, as well as the ability to play them and watch TV at the same time. Expect WiiU to be the most popular home console after a price drop, which will occur much sooner thanks to the earlier release window.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 19, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bobfromsales posted:

Parenthood I'm on to you. You give us 21 episodes of absolute misery just so we feel elated over any amount of hapiness you give the characters in the finale.

Parenthood is doing some daring things when it comes to mainstream drama. They show that someone can become homosexual but still be as bland and irritating as they ever were before.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

Smash has to come out eventually, right? Right?!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aphrodite posted:

They're releasing that on 3DS too though, so it won't even build up a decent install base.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Tbh Wii U is the first Nintendo console I didn't get although the Wii was a gift and I had already pretty much quit playing video games somewhere in the Gamecube era. I played three games for the Wii: Zelda, Mario, and Paper Marios.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
This really isn't the place to aggressively slander video game consoles

Edit

Fast Luck posted:

Tbh Wii U is the first Nintendo console I didn't get although the Wii was a gift and I had already pretty much quit playing video games somewhere in the Gamecube era. I played three games for the Wii: Zelda, Mario, and Paper Marios.
Yeah you missed Metroid, Donkey Kong and the whole Homebrew scene, the Wii is the only console I'll never destroy or give away because it might as well be an emulator box for sprite consoles

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 19, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

scary ghost dog posted:

This really isn't the place to aggressively slander video game consoles

TV Couch Chat is the new old GBS, haven't you heard?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Shageletic posted:

The window to the outside in the basement was prominently displayed in the last scene taking place there.

But enough about plot, the tone to FARGO is basically perfect. Just pitch black, shot through with lines of pure smirking comedy. Its Coen as gently caress!

EDIT: And lol about people saying LOST was about the characters. They did such a good job with fleshing out and giving satisfying arcs with Kate, Jack, Locke, or pretty much anyone else in the show. No, they did not burn any interesting characterization of their characters on the alter of never-ending twists and mystery hooks. Nope, none of that happened at allllll.

LOST was a dueling narrative, and the battle was between character and plot. After a long time on the ropes, character finally beat plot.
:smug:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't remember much about the last few seasons of Lost. All I recall is The Constant and Jack doing a flying Matrix punch.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

scary ghost dog posted:

Yeah you missed Metroid, Donkey Kong and the whole Homebrew scene, the Wii is the only console I'll never destroy or give away because it might as well be an emulator box for sprite consoles
Don't care about Metroid, that game was one of my favorite franchises on NES/SNES but it lost me back when it went 3D. Donkey Kong might have been cool though.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

Don't care about Metroid, that game was one of my favorite franchises on NES/SNES but it lost me back when it went 3D. Donkey Kong might have been cool though.

Donkey Kong Country Returns is excellent, but if you're a Super Metroid fan and you didn't even give Metroid Prime a chance, you made a mistake. Prime 1 is a flawless adaptation of the series and its mechanics into 3D, and one of the best games ever made.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Nintendo IMO is a lot like a cartoon. They make some of the best games ever on a consistent basis but they're dismissed because their demographics aren't specific enough to draw the audiences that need to be spoken to directly.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I actually auto-bought it because it was Metroid and then played it for like 10 minutes before tossing it aside and never taking it out again. Really hated the 3D and controls immediately.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

I actually auto-bought it because it was Metroid and then played it for like 10 minutes before tossing it aside and never taking it out again. Really hated it immediately.

You made an enormous mistake, friend. Metroid Prime has an almost-identical-to-Super-Metroid opening, right down to the exploding Space Frigate and subsequent Ridley chase. It picks up substantially once you land on the planet and can start exploring.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 19, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Aphrodite posted:

Winter of this year for all 7 people who own a Wii U. Summer on 3DS. Even Nintendo knows the Wii U is garbage.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

IRQ posted:

Winter of this year for all 7 people who own a Wii U. Summer on 3DS. Even Nintendo knows the Wii U is garbage.

Wii U is not garbage.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

scary ghost dog posted:

Wii U is not garbage.

This really isn't the place to aggressively promote video game consoles

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
You're an rear end in a top hat, and an idiot. That's aggressive. Your mom is worth loving. That's promotion. The Wii U is not garbage. That's single minded refutation of a point with which I disagree

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's doing garbage in sales.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

It's doing garbage in sales.

Surely the TV show forum understands that popularity is not an indicator of quality.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

scary ghost dog posted:

You made an enormous mistake, friend. Metroid Prime has an almost-identical-to-Super-Metroid opening, right down to the exploding Space Frigate and subsequent Ridley chase. It picks up substantially once you land on the planet and can start exploring.
You can't even see Samus. When you jump the screen just moves instead of you seeing anything jumping. Now I've never played a FPS before and don't feel like starting. Wait that's not true, I played Jurassic Park on SNES. But nevertheless.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

You can't even see Samus. When you jump the screen just moves instead of you seeing anything jumping. Now I've never played a FPS before and don't feel like starting. Wait that's not true, I played Jurassic Park on SNES. But nevertheless.

Ok, sounds legit, but if you had acclimated to the perspective you might have enjoyed one of the most flawless games ever produced

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

So we're all in agreement that pretty much anything is better than TV at this point, right?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Fast Luck posted:

Speaking of Jurassic Park. Yo, where da likeness rights at?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

FactsAreUseless posted:

So we're all in agreement that pretty much anything is better than TV at this point, right?

Nah TV is the current best media. Video games are for children and movies are mostly bad. Yeah, there's good movies out there but when you find one it's 1.5 hours and that's it. How many hours is the Mad Men complete series?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

Speaking of Jurassic Park. Yo, where da likeness rights at?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuYUoLM8BNA

This serves both as a response to this post and a capstone to this entire slapfight.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm getting into the fast and exciting world of serialized radio dramas. See you later, TV plebs.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

Nah TV is the current best media. Video games are for children and movies are mostly bad. Yeah, there's good movies out there but when you find one it's 1.5 hours and that's it. How many hours is the Mad Men complete series?

Books have the highest amount of quality hours overall, followed by TV, then movies, then music, then podcasts, then video games, then comic books, then paintings

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I've been playing ffxiii-2

In it the main character resolves a closed time loop where a boss she is fighting endlessly respawns because it's able to go back in time and ensure its own creation by controlling the AI that creates it by yelling SO LOUD the yell travels back in loving time and stops the creator of the AI, who is also a close friend of hers, from ever creating the AI that creates the boss in the first place

Video games are p rad guys

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MrAristocrates posted:

I'm getting into the fast and exciting world of serialized radio dramas. See you later, TV plebs.
You joke, but Firesign Theater is one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Not to mention the Thrilling Adventure Hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of videogames and TV shows, I just finished South Park: The Stick of Truth and its definitely a must play for South Park fans, it basically plays out like a bunch of episodes.

• Locked thread