Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This happened to me for a day or two after updating it to 8.0.0.26.24. Something jump starts the app into pulling the new interface from Facebook. You could try clearing the FB app data to.

Well, that could have something to do with it too. All my devices are still 7.0.0.26.28. The upgrade hasn't been made available to me.

If I clear the data, I get the old interface. Eventually it updates to the new interface, but broken compared to what other people are seeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

bull3964 posted:

Well, that could have something to do with it too. All my devices are still 7.0.0.26.28. The upgrade hasn't been made available to me.

If I clear the data, I get the old interface. Eventually it updates to the new interface, but broken compared to what other people are seeing.

Yup, it's basically FB purgatory. You're stuck until the 8.x update rolls to you.

You could take a gamble and just Google "8.0.0.26.24" and hope for the best. :v: or have a rooted user that has the update backup the app and send it to you

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Eh, I don't give enough of a poo poo to make it worth the effort. Facebook use is dropping off so rapidly these days that not one hell of a lot comes through the feed that needs to be sorted.

Most of my IRL friends exclusively use G+ now anyways.

leonje
Apr 10, 2005

I roll with my kitties and I'm hard as fuck.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yes really. That's like saying a razor scooter is the same as a 747 because they both take people from point A to point B.

In other news, holy hell Facebook made it a pain in the rear end to view your timeline in order. It's now buried under the right hand tab half way down and as far as I can tell it can't be set as a default.

Menu - edit favorites (towards the bottom) - add most recent - drag most recent up the order

Can't set as default but at least it's at the top of the right tab now.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Most of my IRL friends exclusively use G+ now anyways.

I am, legitimately, jealous. I've been using G+ more and more for following topics that I enjoy and it's really pretty great. I wish I could get more of my friends (hell, even family, because how easy it is to control who sees what) to use it, but everyone just expects it to be a Facebook clone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

I am, legitimately, jealous. I've been using G+ more and more for following topics that I enjoy and it's really pretty great. I wish I could get more of my friends (hell, even family, because how easy it is to control who sees what) to use it, but everyone just expects it to be a Facebook clone.
All of my friends exclusively use G+ as well. I quite like it but really I think the main reason is that I don't have any pressure to be associated with people I don't want to, like family or acquaintances.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Weird, I didn't know G+ was even a thing anymore. Also with FB you can unfollow acquaintances and family without them knowing.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

dik-dik posted:

Weird, I didn't know G+ was even a thing anymore.

Really? Google's pushing all their services to become integrated with it.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Does anyone have any good recommendations for time-lapse photo apps? Ive seen Lapse It, but was wondering if anyone has had experience with other apps that may be better.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Not sure if this should be in this thread. Recently with Google maps whenever I'm playing music from spotify and I have navigation turned on the computer's voice will be lowered to the point of being inaudible and I'll have to crank the phone volume back up to hear the end of the directions but when the next set of directions comes up it will go back to being low volume again. It won't pause the music anymore and just lowers the volume of the music as well while trying to speak over it. I'm using a verizon note 2.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

For what it's worth, if I'm listening to music with headphones, and I have the phone muted to avoid notifications interrupting it, Hangouts still ducks the volume if I'm in the app and I get a message. It doesn't make any sound, and it doesn't happen if I'm not looking at the app at the time, so it's really weird and annoying behaviour.

I just mention it in case there's an audio bug going around somewhere. It sort of sounds similar

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

BoyBlunder posted:

Really? Google's pushing all their services to become integrated with it.

YouTube pretty much uses your G+ account nowadays.

Anyway, are there any apps where they show events happening in your town and also work like yelp in terms of restaurants and bars and such? I know Aloqa used to do this years ago, but it seems dead nowadays.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
My facebook app just had an update and now I can't find how to sort my newsfeed by most recent. Did they just flat out remove that option all together?

I wish I could get everyone to switch over to g+

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Manky posted:

Sure it does, you just have to save the mysterious Google Voice forwarding number each contact gets and text that instead.

ninja edit: I'm pretty sure, haven't heard differently from any correspondents.

How do I find the forwarding number?

leonje
Apr 10, 2005

I roll with my kitties and I'm hard as fuck.

AnimalChin posted:

My facebook app just had an update and now I can't find how to sort my newsfeed by most recent. Did they just flat out remove that option all together?

I wish I could get everyone to switch over to g+

I posted how just up the page :)

Or rather I posted how to make it more easily accessible

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

leonje posted:

I posted how just up the page :)

Or rather I posted how to make it more easily accessible

Lol and I can't even find my own dam page.

Holy poo poo this is a loving train wreck.

I got it all figured out, but this new design is just awful. Everything you want is buried in menus that aren't even clear that they even exist, and you have to dig around and 'hack' it back together. Thanks for the tips, leonje.

AnimalChin fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 19, 2014

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I upgraded my tablet to KitKat, and also started using XPosed Framework and Dashclock. Any must-haves for those that I need to get?

I did look at Gravity Box, but I don't it's compatible, because I'm running a custom ROM that's not quite vanilla.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Kheldarn posted:

I did look at Gravity Box, but I don't it's compatible, because I'm running a custom ROM that's not quite vanilla.

What does the ROM give you that stock + Gravity Box can't? The latter's almost always the way to go these days.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

hooah posted:

What does the ROM give you that stock + Gravity Box can't? The latter's almost always the way to go these days.

I'm not really sure. In the Xposed Installer, Gravity Box says it should not be used with custom ROMs like CM, and the ROM I'm using uses CM 11 as the base.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Kheldarn posted:

I'm not really sure. In the Xposed Installer, Gravity Box says it should not be used with custom ROMs like CM, and the ROM I'm using uses CM 11 as the base.

You can check out the features of GB and see if there's anything you think your ROM does that it doesn't. If there isn't anything, then it'd be better to go back to stock, in general.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

kri kri posted:

How do I find the forwarding number?

Text the person's real number from the Google voice app or website. When they reply, if you have messaging/hangouts specified in your preferences, you'll see the forwarding number pop up. Like this.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

hooah posted:

You can check out the features of GB and see if there's anything you think your ROM does that it doesn't. If there isn't anything, then it'd be better to go back to stock, in general.

I think he has a rooted Kindle Fire.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

baka kaba posted:

For what it's worth, if I'm listening to music with headphones, and I have the phone muted to avoid notifications interrupting it, Hangouts still ducks the volume if I'm in the app and I get a message. It doesn't make any sound, and it doesn't happen if I'm not looking at the app at the time, so it's really weird and annoying behaviour.

I just mention it in case there's an audio bug going around somewhere. It sort of sounds similar

Changing your hangouts notification sound to silent fixes this, but yes it's annoying.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Changing your hangouts notification sound to silent fixes this, but yes it's annoying.

I don't remember it happening before though? Seems like something I would have noticed a long time ago, so that's why I'm wondering if it's a recent bug that might affect Navigation too, like in a shared component or something. All rumours and speculation

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Manky posted:

Text the person's real number from the Google voice app or website. When they reply, if you have messaging/hangouts specified in your preferences, you'll see the forwarding number pop up. Like this.

Which specific preference setting is this?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Is there a way to allow me to pull down the notification bar on the home screen if I have a pin? Stock N5.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

baka kaba posted:

I don't remember it happening before though? Seems like something I would have noticed a long time ago, so that's why I'm wondering if it's a recent bug that might affect Navigation too, like in a shared component or something. All rumours and speculation

I just started using hangouts a little while ago, so I wouldn't really know about that. I certainly agree that it's very annoying, though.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Is there a mode I'm missing somewhere on Google Maps for commercial drivers? I drive ambulances, often in areas I don't know by heart yet because I'm a transport EMT and I run people all over this state and a few others. I love Google Navigator, and use it for most transports. The main features I need are a reliable and accurate map with accurate GPS, and traffic monitoring because sitting in traffic with a patient in the back sucks. The problem is, a lot of time Google's quickest way is bizarre county roads or through roads with lots of turns, which are a pain in the rear end in an ambulance. A normal car can take a windy road at speed, but I lose time on an ambulance. Because I'm usually driving by the time I realize what's up, I can't readjust the route on the fly, and while often times I know the area well enough to just keep going until it recalculates, sometimes I don't, and this is a problem.

I know there are modes to "use main roads only" but that tends to add a lot of time going way out of the way along Interstates and beltways. I need a middle ground between "turn left, go for 800 feet, turn right, go 1000 feet, turn left, go 20 feet then sharp right onto main road" and "stay on the beltway for 2 hours then turn left onto where you're going." And mainly I need its selection of small roads to avoid major bendy backwoods poo poo. I'll cope with the fact that it can't predict pothole traps.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Is there a way to make Google Now show next appointment cards for multiple calendars? I've found instructions for making it do so but they all seem to be for earlier versions of the Google Search app and require me to click on things that aren't there anymore.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Aardvark Barber posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for a decent clock widget that will also display the weather and such?

I have dashclock for my lockscreen but I'm not really liking it on my homescreen.

I use Chronus on my homescreen.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dvtonder.chronus&hl=en

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

kri kri posted:

Which specific preference setting is this?

Google Voice - Settings - Sync and Notifications - Receive text messages.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sereri posted:

Is there a way to allow me to pull down the notification bar on the home screen if I have a pin? Stock N5.

Do you mean the lock screen? Not if you're not rooted, I don't think.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Paramemetic posted:

Is there a mode I'm missing somewhere on Google Maps for commercial drivers? I drive ambulances, often in areas I don't know by heart yet because I'm a transport EMT and I run people all over this state and a few others. I love Google Navigator, and use it for most transports. The main features I need are a reliable and accurate map with accurate GPS, and traffic monitoring because sitting in traffic with a patient in the back sucks. The problem is, a lot of time Google's quickest way is bizarre county roads or through roads with lots of turns, which are a pain in the rear end in an ambulance. A normal car can take a windy road at speed, but I lose time on an ambulance. Because I'm usually driving by the time I realize what's up, I can't readjust the route on the fly, and while often times I know the area well enough to just keep going until it recalculates, sometimes I don't, and this is a problem.

I know there are modes to "use main roads only" but that tends to add a lot of time going way out of the way along Interstates and beltways. I need a middle ground between "turn left, go for 800 feet, turn right, go 1000 feet, turn left, go 20 feet then sharp right onto main road" and "stay on the beltway for 2 hours then turn left onto where you're going." And mainly I need its selection of small roads to avoid major bendy backwoods poo poo. I'll cope with the fact that it can't predict pothole traps.

I used to work at Google maps, and the short answer is that it is designed for passenger cars. We'd occasionally get complaints from truck drivers and such about road requirements, but the standard response is that they're responsible for choosing their own routes.

That being said, if Google is routing you through a specific weird road that it shouldn't be, drop a report and they can fix the routing mechanism to avoid it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

crimedog posted:

Long press a play button and select "Play all from here".

Another brilliant feature is that tapping on the podcast art triggers the rewind and fast forward buttons. :psyduck:
Thank you, that LONG PRESS PLAY ALL FROM HERE is what I was looking for.

They really should not hide functionality like that under long presses.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Okay so I've been using Slidelock for the past few weeks and it's pretty great, but I really wish there were an option to archive and/or mark emails as read from the lockscreen. Is there a lock screen notifications app that does this?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Drunk Tomato posted:

I used to work at Google maps, and the short answer is that it is designed for passenger cars. We'd occasionally get complaints from truck drivers and such about road requirements, but the standard response is that they're responsible for choosing their own routes.

That being said, if Google is routing you through a specific weird road that it shouldn't be, drop a report and they can fix the routing mechanism to avoid it.

Honestly driving an ambulance seems like a primo case for spending money on an actual, reliable GPS/routing solution. Whoever owns the ambulance company, I mean

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I'm looking for an app that will use the Text-To-Speech function to read .epub books back to me. I don't care that the text-to-speech is going to be worse than all but the worst audiobook readers.

I'd like something that can do this in the background, so I can do something else on the phone/tablet, and listen when the phone is locked or otherwise tied up.

I've been using Google Play Books to do it so far, but the problem with that is that GPB stops when I lock the screen, or switch to any other app, so I have to have the screen on at all times, which tends to consume the battery a bit faster than I'd like.

Nexus 4/7, Kitkat, Stock Android.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

maltesh posted:

I'm looking for an app that will use the Text-To-Speech function to read .epub books back to me. I don't care that the text-to-speech is going to be worse than all but the worst audiobook readers.

I'd like something that can do this in the background, so I can do something else on the phone/tablet, and listen when the phone is locked or otherwise tied up.

I've been using Google Play Books to do it so far, but the problem with that is that GPB stops when I lock the screen, or switch to any other app, so I have to have the screen on at all times, which tends to consume the battery a bit faster than I'd like.

Nexus 4/7, Kitkat, Stock Android.

I don't know any app specifically, but when googling it apparently there's some hilarious legal issues regarding TTS and ebooks.

Tleilaxu
Oct 7, 2010

Pray your Gods who ask you for your blood. For They are strong and angry, jealous Ones.
Moon+ Reader Pro can do TTS while in background and locked. I don't know if the free version can, since I bought the full version a while ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Does anyone know why Pocket Casts is taking up over a gig of space on my phone?

When I go into Settings-? Storage, I have a few gigs under the "Misc." category.

Most of that is a couple ROM images I forgot to delete, and a couple backups of my phone...but Pocket Casts is listed as taking up a gig.

I don't think it's the actual podcasts because:

1) Shouldn't they be listed under the "Audio" section of the storage settings?

2) I only have 4 podcasts currently downloaded anyway, each one less than 80 MB.

• Locked thread