Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I had fun in my time at A&M but a lot of that came from the suspension of disbelief that the "traditions" weren't dumb and hella forced 100 years down the line from when they were invented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I remember an incident involving a Mustang from a few years ago. I was walking into a convenience store when a Mustang GT came speeding by with one wheel locked up. The tire was roaring and white smoke was pouring off of it. It pulled into the apartment complex behind the store. About 5 seconds after leaving my sight, there was a very loud boom, which I assumed was from the tire exploding.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

I had fun in my time at A&M but a lot of that came from the suspension of disbelief that the "traditions" weren't dumb and hella forced 100 years down the line from when they were invented.

seriously what the gently caress is up with the jars of semen thing

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

rscott posted:

seriously what the gently caress is up with the jars of semen thing

What the gently caress

smax
Nov 9, 2009

bung posted:

About 5 seconds after leaving my sight, there was a very loud boom, which I assumed was from the tire exploding.

That was just the sound of the guy putting the pony out of its misery.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

some texas redneck posted:

I actually ran into this with my Altima.

A bone stock Altima. The body was a bit rough, but mechanically it was 100% as it left the factory (aside from some gaskets, the clutch, and a wheel bearing).

Altimas, since at least 98, have had the cat integrated into the manifold. Guy claimed I had no cat. Guy also tried to fail it over broken backup lights (reverse lights are not an inspected item in Texas; I do agree they're important, but they did work [just flickered a bit], and the inspection criteria specifically states "reverse lights are not to be checked").

Texas is starting to get stupid. Back when i had the cooper, it passed inspection 3 times with the tint i had on it. 4th time it failed for being "too dark."

When i got my new car, i got it tinted at a shop and said "hey i want it legal!"
... it failed. I ripped the tint off and it passed, and they retinted it for me, bit i expect it to fail again next year, unless i can find a shady shop or something.

...and yet Texas has no problem with 12 inch lifted pickup trucks with no properly aligned bumpers or headlights...

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

nitrogen posted:

Texas is starting to get stupid. Back when i had the cooper, it passed inspection 3 times with the tint i had on it. 4th time it failed for being "too dark."

When i got my new car, i got it tinted at a shop and said "hey i want it legal!"
... it failed. I ripped the tint off and it passed, and they retinted it for me, bit i expect it to fail again next year, unless i can find a shady shop or something.

...and yet Texas has no problem with 12 inch lifted pickup trucks with no properly aligned bumpers or headlights...

Just keep the roof under fourteen feet and we straight, bubba :v:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

nitrogen posted:

:ssh: only "undesirables" tint their windows too dark wink-wink nudge-nudge :ssh:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Step one to passing inspection in Arizona: be white. Step two: don't be not white. I'd assume Texas is just as asinine.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Geirskogul posted:

Step one to passing inspection in Arizona: be white. Step two: don't be not white. I'd assume Texas is just as asinine.

I'm pretty white :(

Maybe they can smell the jew in me, who knows.

I guess I just need to find the shops that keep passing all the other impossibly dark tint I keep seeing in the road.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

nitrogen posted:

Here's the trick to passing inspection in Texas: Find the right body shop.

There's shops in my hometown where they've failed me for not passing the penny test on my tire tread (After searching for five minutes to find a spot worn down enough to fail the test.)

The last place I got inspected, the dude drove the truck for three minutes, checked the headlights, and stuck my sticker on. Despite the fact my truck has about a billion loving problems. Ask around, and find the business in town that doesn't give a poo poo, trust me.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

There's a chain of shops that does nothing but inspections around here; I've been using the same location for something like 8 years.

They've never given me any grief over tint (mine's right at the legal limit, I think, but it still lacks the stickers required by TX - since it was tinted by the original owner, who lived in Utah). During the last inspection, two of the tires were right at the wear bars, but just barely - they said I need to replace them soon, but didn't fail it (they did mention had I come in with them worn any further, they would have had to fail it). They're pretty by the book, but not anal, and I've gone in there before with a questionable car and asked them "will it pass?" a few weeks before the inspection expired. They did a quick check for free (including OBD2 scan), said it would pass with no issue, bring it back on the 1st.

I had one shop try to fail me for flickering reverse lights (reverse lights aren't an inspected item here). Another shop actually told me to leave the property, claiming I was providing a forged insurance card(I wasn't, I'd lost the original and had my agent email a PDF - and when he did that, the "valid from" date was changed to that day)... they claimed since the dates weren't exactly 6 months apart, it was a fake, and that it was a "felony" for them to pass a car with any insurance card issued the same day. :wtc: Both of those shops were Valvoline Instant Oil Change locations, go figure. In the case of the insurance card issue, I went down the street to a Texaco, they passed it just fine. Mentioned the issue mentioned by the VIOC to the almost-old-as-dirt inspector after he put the sticker on, he laughed and said they were full of poo poo.

That said, one of my managers used to be a licensed state inspector; he's mentioned more than a few times that he knows where to go to get something passed.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You guys need to find the garage that did the last MOT on my Discovery.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

InitialDave posted:

You guys need to find the garage that did the last MOT on my Discovery.

Or live in a state that doesn't do inspections.

Disclaimer: it's probably a poo poo state.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Panty Saluter posted:

Just keep the roof under fourteen feet and we straight, bubba :v:

technically the STAX have to be under 14 feet.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Passed a driveway with a PT Cruiser and a Smart FourTwo parked in it. Someone has made mad decisions in their life.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

not nearly as classy as this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlSZIUlg2PI

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Uthor posted:

Passed a driveway with a PT Cruiser and a Smart FourTwo parked in it. Someone has made mad decisions in their life.

A neighbor has a yellow four two and yellow h2 in their driveway. Always cracks me up.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

eyebeem posted:

A neighbor has a yellow four two and yellow h2 in their driveway. Always cracks me up.

Ha! At least they have a theme.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Method Loser posted:

True enough. That still leaves plenty of leeway for your mad tyte lift though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Method Loser posted:

So you could have a slammed and chopped car only a couple of feet tall with ten foot stacks out the top? :haw:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

So you could have a slammed and chopped car only a couple of feet tall with ten foot stacks out the top? :haw:
Paging Holdbrooks, Holdbrooks to the lone star state please.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Cakefool posted:

cue Holdbrooks

e: dammit

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Uthor posted:

I thought you were saying the Smart car was parked inside the PT Cruiser, and that seemed kind of improbable.

Now it could definitely have been parked inside the Hummer.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
PA seems to be alright as far as inspection goes. Most shops aren't overly picky and emissions is on a county to county basis. I'm in an emissions county but its not a big deal. My sisters dad used to own an inspection certified shop so I could get some of the total shitpiles I used to drive taken care of. The dealerships and "legit" shops I've used would let minor stuff slide too. The system seems to work as far as keeping the really dangerous poo poo off the roads and not loving with the average motoring Joe. I can't imaging what its like to deal with California horse poo poo, or even having to be constantly watching for rolling hazards in the non inspection states.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've lived in an inspection state (Texas) and a non inspection state (Illinois) and didn't notice much difference. Fewer rust buckets in Texas but still plenty of poo poo piles that would never pass inspection assuming their owners ever took them in to get inspected (they don't because they can't afford to register and insure their vehicle so why get it inspected).

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I can't imaging what its like to deal with California horse poo poo

California doesn't have safety inspections. They just check that the original smog equipment is still present when they do their sniffer test. Keeps you from doing some more interesting motor swaps, but why would you want to own something newer than 1975 anyway?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Zemyla posted:

I thought you were saying the Smart car was parked inside the PT Cruiser, and that seemed kind of improbable.

Now it could definitely have been parked inside the Hummer.

My son's guitar teacher bought a Hummer during the tax writeoff insanity.

Three years later, he bought a Fourtwo.

We all live in New Jersey, where inspections have been pared down to a five-minute ride through the state facility. The last car I sent through was a warmed-over '74 Dart, which was missing the exterior rearview mirror (the entire assembly), one windshield wiper, and the horn did not work. It passed.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

quote:

Alright so the situation is I am getting out of the military in 10 months. In February I will be driving from San Diego, CA to Atlanta, GA. Roughly 2200 miles. The military moves all household goods, but not vehicles. So I will be driving my car home, and I need to get my motorcycle back home too. My original plan was to ship the bike(roughly $600). But I may be getting a pitcrew front end for my car. If I do, I do not want the transport company dealing with it since it is large and fragile. I also have a spare LE dash I do not want to be broken in transport either since it is large and fragile. I have heard stories that the transport company is not that great with large breakables.

So my plan is to put a hitch on my car, raise the rear end to avoid bottoming out, and buy a utility trailer. I am thinking of towing my bike(roughly 500lbs dry weight) along with the pitcrew, and the LE dash. I will probably put some personal stuff like clothes and whatnot so I'm not cramped up in the car the whole time.

So, main question is, would it be okay for my to tow with my car for such a long distance?

Towing a motorcycle cross country with a Miata, nothing can go wrong, right guys?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well at least when the Miata hemorrhages something vital he'll have secondary transportation on hand so he can finish the journey.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Tow the Miata with the bike.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Raluek posted:

California doesn't have safety inspections. They just check that the original smog equipment is still present when they do their sniffer test. Keeps you from doing some more interesting motor swaps, but why would you want to own something newer than 1975 anyway?

Well color me informed. I've always assumed that they scrutinized the hell out of anything with wheels out there. I always thought that from reading about the guys that have trouble making something with relatively non threatening mods road legal. So a screeching, wobbling jalopy gets ok'ed as long as its got all the necessary emissions equipment? Is it an annual thing or just when a title changes hands?

My impression of the non inspection states comes from seeing photos of horribly unsafe poo poo heaps on these forums and the frightening tales of barely functioning death traps my sister saw during her time in Florida. Now that I think about it most of the scariest stuff that I can recall seeing had Florida plates. I just imagine going there and having to dodge mad max style heaps as they crabwalk across the lanes. Every other minute one careens over the center barrier trailing flames and oily smoke.

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Well color me informed. I've always assumed that they scrutinized the hell out of anything with wheels out there. I always thought that from reading about the guys that have trouble making something with relatively non threatening mods road legal. So a screeching, wobbling jalopy gets ok'ed as long as its got all the necessary emissions equipment? Is it an annual thing or just when a title changes hands?

Why do you think California is traditionally on the forefront of things like hot rod and custom car culture? It has a lot to do with the fact that you can make modifications to your car without worrying about the safety inspector. A cop could certainly cite you for an unsafe vehicle, but there's no yearly inspection to worry about.

This part will probably blow your mind. Emissions is every 2 years for vehicles newer than 1975 and older than 6 years, UNLESS you live in one of the rural California counties that have no biennial emissions tests. In those counties you only need the emissions test when selling a used vehicle, and otherwise the state never checks what you've done to the vehicle. There are some sketchy vehicles running around in the rural mountain and desert counties of California that will never see any kind of inspection again (I own one).

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Phone posted:

Towing a motorcycle cross country with a Miata, nothing can go wrong, right guys?

That's weird, the Air Force will let you ship the bike as household goods. But like all things military I don't know if it's uniform across the services.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
99% of PCS orders in the army are very generous about shipping weight of household goods, but explicitly state "VEHICLE SHIPPING IS NOT AUTHORIZED"

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Geirskogul posted:

99% of PCS orders in the army are very generous about shipping weight of household goods, but explicitly state "VEHICLE SHIPPING IS NOT AUTHORIZED"

Alright so drain all the fluids out of the bike, take it partially apart and pack it in boxes. No one will ever know..

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Raluek posted:

Pretty much any engine modification (unless the part is specifically approved by the California Air Review Board, for a specific model of car) is illegal. Motor swaps are fine.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

nullscan posted:

That's weird, the Air Force will let you ship the bike as household goods. But like all things military I don't know if it's uniform across the services.

The Navy also ships motorcycles as household goods. I don't think that's really the issue in phone's case, though, he's worried about what to do with all the fragile spare parts.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Veeb0rg posted:

Alright so drain all the fluids out of the bike, take it partially apart and pack it in boxes. No one will ever know..

He's only going from california to Georgia, not across the planet! Hell if you don't want to tow it, just book a cheap one way flight on southwest or something, fly back, pick up the bike and ride back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

My impression of the non inspection states comes from seeing photos of horribly unsafe poo poo heaps on these forums and the frightening tales of barely functioning death traps my sister saw during her time in Florida. Now that I think about it most of the scariest stuff that I can recall seeing had Florida plates. I just imagine going there and having to dodge mad max style heaps as they crabwalk across the lanes. Every other minute one careens over the center barrier trailing flames and oily smoke.

Literally my experience driving a rental around Miami during two weeks of R&R.