Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Whatever the "metal" finish is on the OEM gear shift knob on my 2006 3 has slowly flaked off in places, and I actually managed to cut my hand on it tonight. Now I'm looking to replace it. Does anyone have any suggestions for something that doesn't look ridiculous? I'd be happy to replace it with the OEM part but that actually seems challenging, so I'm exploring alternatives.

Just get a 2007+ knob. They look nicer and don't fall apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

opengl128 posted:

I assume by your recommendation that they're compatible?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If by the end of the week there isn't a skull knob on your shifter then this has all been a failure.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

Martytoof posted:

If by the end of the week there isn't a skull knob on your shifter then this has all been a failure.

Any replacement knob from Wal-Mart should suffice. The skull or 8-ball is pure class.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

Go for a tennis ball; always a classic.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

A COMPUTER GUY posted:

Go for a tennis ball; always a classic.

Bonus points because it won't burn the poo poo out of your palm if left in the sun like the MS3's shifter.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Whatever the "metal" finish is on the OEM gear shift knob on my 2006 3 has slowly flaked off in places, and I actually managed to cut my hand on it tonight. Now I'm looking to replace it. Does anyone have any suggestions for something that doesn't look ridiculous? I'd be happy to replace it with the OEM part but that actually seems challenging, so I'm exploring alternatives.

For what its worth, my brother has an 06 with the stick and I've got a 2011, and I really think the shiftknob is a big improvement. It looks like they changed it in 07 and kept em until 2013, so there should be a good amount of them out there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mazda has done a great many 'weird' things over the years, but I just can't see changing the threading on the shiftknob mid-generation as one of them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's probably the same as a Protege. Haha. I should have tried my Protege shifter on it.

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
Sup goons, looking at buying a 2011 mazda3. anyone had a Grom audio usb interface installed?

Was driving a 2003 protege5, some old man ran a stop and totaled it. I miss my hot hatch:v:

Wokrider fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 21, 2014

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Wokrider posted:

Sup goons, looking at buying a 2011 mazda3. anyone had a Grom audio usb interface installed?

Was driving a 2003 protege5, some old man ran a stop and totaled it. I miss my hot hatch:v:

rip protege ur with angels now ~~~~

I've got a 2011 but without the Grom. If you get one with the upgraded soundsystem, it comes with Bluetooth and all the controls work so you may not need/want the Grom.

The only problem is that the track data doesn't display on the dash display for most phones over Bluetooth, due to updates in the Bluetooth spec after the car was launched. It's a little annoying, but not really a big deal.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

For what its worth, my brother has an 06 with the stick and I've got a 2011, and I really think the shiftknob is a big improvement. It looks like they changed it in 07 and kept em until 2013, so there should be a good amount of them out there.
So in theory, this is the part number I'm looking for?

http://www.atlantamazdaparts.com/p/CHANGE-LEVER-KNOB/42584306/CC3346030D.html

Thanks for you help so far, everyone.

edit: It looks like there's a much less expensive "PVC" version. I assume that was for the non-Grand Touring trims:

http://www.atlantamazdaparts.com/p/KNOB--CHANGE-LEVER/42584015/CC2946030C.html

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 21, 2014

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Anyone using the Motorcraft XT-M5-QS in their MS3's tranny? I'm at about 43K on the factory fill and its been getting a little rough/notchy, especially when cold, so I picked up 3 quarts of this stuff from the local Ford dealer today. It seems to be pretty well reviewed. I'll probably do it next week when I change my oil.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Is that the $20/quart "honey" MTF Ford sells? If so it's highly regarded in the Focus community as the last transmission fluid your MTX-75 (5 speed manual gearbox on zetec/duratec MkI focus models) will ever need, to the point of Ford not even publishing a change interval. Unless there's something weird about the MS3's gearbox it should work fine.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 1, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I didn't notice much of a difference - but the fluid that came out looked awfully clean and of similar color to what I put in, enough so that I think the PO of my old MS3 put it in too.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I assume my Mazda dealer won't have that now that they're divorced from Ford?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

I assume my Mazda dealer won't have that now that they're divorced from Ford?

I doubt Mazda dealers ever sold it, TBH.

Also Mazda isn't totally divorced from Ford, Ford just owns less of Mazda now than they did about 10 years ago (about 10% now vs 30% then.)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Geoj posted:

(about 10% now vs 30% then.)
It's 2.1% now.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Using that stuff in my car as well, and I didn't notice a dramatic difference. Seems like that's the go-to MS3 transmission fluid.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I put it in my MS3 and found that there's a lot of gear whine at full lock when the fluid's cold, and also when it's cold it might be a little more difficult to get into gear when stopped. Once everything is up to temp I don't notice much of a difference.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I used a Redline synthetic @ ~40k, although I have a regular 3, not a MS3. What prompted me to use it was one day it just was really hard to pull out of gear. I was supposed to have changed the fluid at 30k I guess. I probably got regular Mazda fluid now @ 60k and don't really notice any difference though, although I have it parked in a garage now so I don't see freezing temps anymore.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Sold the 'speed3 for an Accord Sport. So now you guys should buy my poo poo.

Hawk HPS pads (rear), Centric Rotors (rear), UltraGauge

IOwnCalculus: Those rotors probably look familiar. Never needed them on the car.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

...the gently caress, car?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
drat, talk about owned.
What's the temperature? I thought I remember somebody breaking one off well below freezing.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

CharlesM posted:

drat, talk about owned.
What's the temperature? I thought I remember somebody breaking one off well below freezing.

It's like 50°. Probably 60 in my garage.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SynMoo posted:

IOwnCalculus: Those rotors probably look familiar. Never needed them on the car.

Ha. The MS3 just doesn't go through rear brakes very quickly. Not complaining!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My regular 3 looks almost perfect on the rears @ 70,000 miles. Fuckers at the dealer wrote they were at 40% at 40,000 miles. drat it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah I'm at 90,000 on my 3 and I've never done anything to the back brakes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mine had 124k or so on it last year when I traded it in. Never touched the rears.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

My rears are at maybe 40% at 43k, but that includes a full trackday where I near boiled my fluid, and getting towed with the parking brake on (mother fuckers). Did front pads at 30k or so.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I did rear brakes in all three of the 6's I owned. The best thing about them? No wear indicator. I take that back, no traditional wear indicator; the OEM indicator was the sound of bare metal on discs. Thanks a lot Mazda.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Sorry Marty.

opengl128 posted:

Cygni posted:

Thanks for the recommendation on this. I agree with your assessment that the second-gen's gearshift knob is better.

Old and busted:

New hotness:

I won't miss the fake-chrome and baseball stitching on the old one.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 6, 2014

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is the Blind Spot Monitoring on 2nd gens vulnerable to water? It was pretty soggy out over the weekend and my BSM idiot light started flashing/system no beepy when cars at my 5 and 7; been much drier on Monday and today and no trouble so far.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Phy posted:

Is the Blind Spot Monitoring on 2nd gens vulnerable to water? It was pretty soggy out over the weekend and my BSM idiot light started flashing/system no beepy when cars at my 5 and 7; been much drier on Monday and today and no trouble so far.

Mine seems to have more false positives in the winter when it's really cold out, sometimes even triggering off of guard rails. I don't remember it happening with rain but I definitely know it happens in the cold.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a good go-to source of touchup paint? Should I check my dealer or is there a better place to go?

I bought some touchup paint at Canadian Tire which was supposed to be close to my stock colour but when I applied it everything looked way off. I still applied it just to cover up the bare metal chips but I'd like to eventually buff it down and apply something more appropriate.

I'm not yet at the stage in car ownership where I'm ready to take this slight colour difference in imperceptible dings on my body lying down :q:

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
I've heard a lot of good stuff about Dr. Chip.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So how's this for some poo poo.

On the way back from my lunch break last Friday, a pretty big crack appeared in the windshield of my '14 mazda 3. Looks like a rock chip right in the middle of it. Called my insurance, glass company, etc, and the end result is that the windshields for these cars are on loving national backorder with no dates on when there will be new ones.

The glass company is going to ask my insurance to approve getting an emergency one from Canada. The woman over there said she has never seen this happen before.

It's a little goddamn irritating. I have 3500 miles on the car.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My Speed is in the shop to get the door repaired, so for the next few days I'm driving a rentacar. A Mazda3. The 2-liter. Poverty spec.

Which, y'know, I drove the first gen 2-liter with a stick for six years, the major difference is this one has a grin, a slushbox, and a fat extra person's worth of weight. Which is okay, I was just hoping for a different car, or even a 3 with a different engine.

e: My fiancee's gonna kill me, she already thinks that Mazda drivers all have a pact to cluster together in parking lots.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Yea I sometimes drive my girlfriends bottom of the line 2nd gen 3 auto. Step on the gas and wait for 10 seconds or so then the revs shoot up, and the car barely moves, step on the brakes and the pedal moves 3/4 of the way before it starts to slow down so you over compensate a little and the thing jerks. But its better than taking my speed and getting the kid in it and finding boogers and finger prints all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Time to do brakes, I'm thinking of going with the Corksport pads, anyone running these? If my rotors are bad what's the preferred/popular choice.