Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Would a width mapping like Tufte's beloved Napoleonic Russian Campaign map work?

If your problem is occlusion, you could try mapping it to a graph with edges for each road section, and then fiddling with different graph layouts. Cytoscape is free and would let you do that.

Yeah, occlusion is the issue. What do you mean by mapping it to a graph? I need to keep the ramps in a recognizable arrangements so I won't have to label anything, because that's just going to be NUTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Have you considered a 1:100 scale model using kittens in place of cars?

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
Are you required to show all data on one map? Maybe splitting up the map by direction of travel or some other criterion would help.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

mamosodiumku posted:

Are you required to show all data on one map? Maybe splitting up the map by direction of travel or some other criterion would help.

I tried splitting it into west and east halves (since it's about 3 miles long but only 1 mile high), doing one route at a time, and doing one direction at a time. Nothing looked right... I think I might just make a separate map for each interchange.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

peepeepants posted:

It is a wishlist of projects and goals that your area wants built over the next 20 or so years. Some of them are big awesome plans in the same way I have big awesome plans for after I win the lottery. Many projects will never get built because the money won't be there. It is the result of a process that involves getting local governments, transit agencies, special interest groups and others in the metro area to come together and rank what projects are the most important given the amount of money they have. Take a close look at the “financially constrained” Transportation Improvement Program scenario because that is most likely what will happen. Some aspects of the plan require governments to change policy like zoning code, which might not happen or get watered down by the political pressure. Going to public meetings about these plans are neat. It is a chance to sniff out "bridge to nowhere" type things and check out how they collect data for their traffic computer models. The planning part is the light blue and green bits of this "easy to understand" flow-chart. It is for New York but your state or city process is probably something similar.

If there is a project you like and want to see built, try to find a group that wants to lobby for the money to get it built.

Transport plans are awesome when they work, in 2007 Transport for London said they wanted to make this all happen by 2025

And here's what we're getting

So it's not far off. We gained some train lines that already exist anyway and are being handed over from one train operator to TfL, but lost a bunch of trams because Mayor Boris is a huge idiot who decided to waste £60million pounds on a cablecar that is used by four (4) regular commuters and a bunch of bespoke busses that are no better than ordinary ones, cost more to run and are more expensive to buy.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Are those bespoke buses those new routemaster things that somehow look more ugly than the already odd looking old ones? (As you can tell I was never a fan of the old routemaster, then again I am a dirty, thick midlander so what do I know :downs: )

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
Apologies if this question's come up before, but who are we supposed to contact to report a traffic signal that's (apparently) not operating correctly?

From the building where I work I have a clear view of a four-way intersection. Over the last year or so I've noticed that at random points during the day (but usually somewhere between 4-6pm) traffic from one particular direction doesn't get a green light for anywhere up to 6 or 7 cycles, sometimes more, which translates to about 10-15 minutes between green lights. This results in the road leading up to the intersection (and various side roads that feed into it) getting crazily backed up. Drivers who work out what's happening get into the right lane to do a right on red, which eases the back up a teensy bit, but most people who want to turn left or continue straight ahead just sit there like lemons for those 10-15 minutes.

It can't be deliberate because none of the other three roads at the intersection get backed up enough to warrant it. I'm guessing that there's a faulty sensor involved, because occasionally if I'm sitting at the intersection at midnight, when there's no other traffic around, it won't give me a green light unless I reverse and move forward a few times. But the fact that it consistently happens between 4-6pm most days suggests another issue.

The fact that this has been going on for a year either means that a) no one else has reported it, or b) it's been reported but is apparently a low priority for maintenance. Is it common for an obvious fault such as this to go unfixed for so long?

Retroblique fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 21, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

My city has a 311 service in place that you can call to report stuff like this. I've done it twice for burned out signal lights. Yours is rather more subjective than that of course, but it seems like the place to start.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
It varies by jurisdiction how maintenance of things like roadways and traffic signals are done. I would begin with your State highway department. There's a good chance it won't actually be their responsibility, but they are likely to be the most responsive and can tell you who is actually responsible.

If you give us the cross streets, we could probably zero you in on the agencies to try.

A year seems like a long time for it to go unfixed, I would report it nonstop until they fixed it.

And fun fact - where I am, if you are at a light and it goes through two cycles without giving you a green, you're allowed to proceed when it's safe to do so, through the red light.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Cichlidae posted:

Yeah, occlusion is the issue. What do you mean by mapping it to a graph? I need to keep the ramps in a recognizable arrangements so I won't have to label anything, because that's just going to be NUTS.

I mean a graph in the mathematical sense. Cytoscape lets you map whatever data you want to nodes and edges, then colour/size/style them according to that data. It also has graph layout algorithms that try to show the structure of things, but that would probably make the system unrecognisable. It might be necessary, though (a schematic rather than cartographically accurate representation).

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

I mean a graph in the mathematical sense. Cytoscape lets you map whatever data you want to nodes and edges, then colour/size/style them according to that data. It also has graph layout algorithms that try to show the structure of things, but that would probably make the system unrecognisable. It might be necessary, though (a schematic rather than cartographically accurate representation).

Ah yeah, I guess I could've done it in ArcGIS or TransCAD, too, if I wanted something set up that way. But my boss said, "don't spend more than a couple hours on it," and so Photoshop it was.

Had to limit it to just I-84 within Hartford, though, to keep things very simple. I guess the idea is to have the entire purpose of the chart visible within 2 seconds when you're looking at it.

Edit: Here's a thing I made in Vissim.

Cichlidae fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 22, 2014

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Cichlidae posted:

Ah yeah, I guess I could've done it in ArcGIS or TransCAD, too, if I wanted something set up that way. But my boss said, "don't spend more than a couple hours on it," and so Photoshop it was.

Had to limit it to just I-84 within Hartford, though, to keep things very simple. I guess the idea is to have the entire purpose of the chart visible within 2 seconds when you're looking at it.

Edit: Here's a thing I made in Vissim.

Yeah a schematic would probably work better for making design decisions, but simple is definitely better for convincing policy makers or the public. That map definitely looks like it'll do the job.

You guys have per-lane data on this stuff? How do you gather that?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Yeah a schematic would probably work better for making design decisions, but simple is definitely better for convincing policy makers or the public. That map definitely looks like it'll do the job.

You guys have per-lane data on this stuff? How do you gather that?

That's all simulation results. You can get some remarkable detail, but in the end, it's only as good as the input data. In our case, the simulation is fantastic, but the input data's mediocre, so I don't put too much stock into the details of simulation results other than "traffic backs up here, especially in this lane."

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Now that's looking much more realistic!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cichlidae posted:

Now that's looking much more realistic!

Talk about a "Park"way :haw:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I figure someone here might enjoy this ad campaign by the Stockholm public transit agency "SL":
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/144615-doge-sl-facepalm/
They're advertising a "all-summer ticket" which is apparently geared towards kids and teens.
Not sure whether it's a :ughh: or a :golfclap:.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I figure someone here might enjoy this ad campaign by the Stockholm public transit agency "SL":
They're advertising a "all-summer ticket" which is apparently geared towards kids and teens.

I think it's well done for "corporate trying to be trendy"

I need to replace my SL card, so I was going to go do it and then take a ~totally cool photo~ with a doge poster.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Any ad that gets your attention and makes you remember what it's for is a successful ad. I still remember that loving nonsensical Cadbury ad from a decade ago.

-----

We've been seriously considering what would be CT's first DDI as part of our I-84 project. I'm looking forward to designing it!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Until Terry O'Rielly tells me otherwise, I'm going with :golfclap:.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, I'm going to go with :golfclap: too. It made me smirk, and it's not blatantly wrong. If Dogecoin can do it, why can't they?

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Hundreds of decorative toll gantries in Florida, and this is what we put up?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Varance posted:

Hundreds of decorative toll gantries in Florida, and this is what we put up?

Looks better than those crappy formliners - give me a steel truss any day. Plus that looks like it has a walkway with railings so that workers can walk around up there? Functional, too!

Edit: That spans the entire road without a pier in the middle, so it might be too costly to make it strong enough to support all the fake concrete surface treatments. Or maybe they're still planning on putting it up, since it's still under construction.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Devor posted:

Looks better than those crappy formliners - give me a steel truss any day. Plus that looks like it has a walkway with railings so that workers can walk around up there? Functional, too!

Edit: That spans the entire road without a pier in the middle, so it might be too costly to make it strong enough to support all the fake concrete surface treatments. Or maybe they're still planning on putting it up, since it's still under construction.

I doubt it. The truss is 65 feet long and weighs over 200,000 pounds. They needed every last inch of room for 8 lanes of traffic (6 local + 2 express), hence the lack of a center support. 64 feet worth of traffic lanes, plus a foot for the jersey barrier.

The gantry in question is Anderson. It's been in place for over a month and goes operational on June 14.

Varance fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 29, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ok dudes, let's deal with this situation.

The north-south route has right of way, no stop sign or traffic light. Despite the number of cars shown, it's not a busy road, mostly just trucks for the industries around here. The road to the left is a small local road (that will have a stop sign).

The northern most track just crosses the intersection then leaves the road to service an industry.
The next track though goes down the entire northern lane for a good block then turns off the road and into an industry.
The bottom two tracks are a pretty simple grade crossing but there's obviously an issue of people stopping on the tracks while waiting to turn left.

At the minimum how should this be signed and painted ? I know you're going to say I should have actual cross-bucks or what ever, but how would those cover the street-running track? The bottom most track in the picture is the only one that will see frequent use as it leads to a container terminal so double-stack trains will be using it daily. The street-running track and siding would probably only see weekly use.

How the gently caress would this be handled? Not necessarily how would this be handled if it was built new today, but how would it be handled if this situation had existed for the last 100 years and it was tucked away in an industrial zone?

Also check out those hand-carved cobbles.

Street running can be pretty crazy. I don't see any flashing warnings or bells here. Just a train running down the fuckin' street

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 29, 2014

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

At the minimum how should this be signed and painted ? I know you're going to say I should have actual cross-bucks or what ever, but how would those cover the street-running track? The bottom most track in the picture is the only one that will see frequent use as it leads to a container terminal so double-stack trains will be using it daily. The street-running track and siding would probably only see weekly use.

How the gently caress would this be handled? Not necessarily how would this be handled if it was built new today, but how would it be handled if this situation had existed for the last 100 years and it was tucked away in an industrial zone?

Like so. Or in this case, something simpler.

Baronjutter posted:

Street running can be pretty crazy. I don't see any flashing warnings or bells here. Just a train running down the fuckin' street

No different than a streetcar/tram running in mixed traffic. Example video. There hasn't been an accident along this stretch in decades.

Varance fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 29, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I'd just throw up a bunch of flashing-warning-light-and-bell combos. I know a couple roads here that are marked like that, all in mostly industrial areas.

Baronjutter posted:

But yeah, this doesn't seem strange at all. In the case where the train is moving parallel to you, you're going to be looking right at the thing. It's not any different from a street car or large bus.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Those trains tend to lay on the horn quite often while street running too.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Varance posted:

No different than a streetcar/tram running in mixed traffic.
Yeah, that's really not true.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Groda posted:

Yeah, that's really not true.
Modern trams weigh in excess of 50 tons. If either hits your car, even at a low speed, you're getting totaled and potentially killed. Big objects, hard to miss unless you're inebriated, texting or otherwise distracted/impaired.

Some countries, mainly in Europe/Asia, have much tighter rules about street running. South American/North American/African countries take a more laid back approach, especially when it comes to rail spurs that only see a train or two a day.

If speeds are higher than 10MPH, then yes, you would use standard railway crossing arms to prevent cross-traffic from getting wrecked. Otherwise, the premise is still the same. Example. Video.

Varance fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 29, 2014

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Varance posted:

Modern trams weigh in excess of 50 tons. If either hits your car, even at a low speed, you're getting totaled and potentially killed. Big objects, hard to miss unless you're inebriated, texting or otherwise distracted/impaired.

Still, a modern tram can stop more or less on a dime. A freight train will not.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
This one, the South Shore Line in Michigan City, Indiana, isn't signaled at every crossing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ziJMZFH53c

Mountain Dew Code Bread
Mar 20, 2008

Install Windows posted:

Those trains tend to lay on the horn quite often while street running too.

I know that here, the protocol is basically stop at the intersection, lay on the horn until people get the message and stop, then crawl through while keeping the horn blaring. Several minutes of constant train horn deafening everyone nearby, but at least there aren't typically any accidents. Trains only run through there about every other day or so.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The problem with my situation is that the rail line is going down the west bound lane. Meaning if the train is going east, it will be going the wrong way and the lane will need to be shut down. I'm sure it would be as simple a flag person just walking to the end of the block and stopping traffic for 5 min. Reasonable? It wouldn't be anything other than a loco and a couple cars going down here, so could stop almost at tram speeds.

Also wow I love that rail bridge over a highway at grade right next to a sidewalk with no railings of any sort. Good work.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 29, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Well, it's not quite the same, but over here, when there's an intersection with traffic lights right next to a railway crossing, it seems they somehow integrate the two.

First of all, you're never allowed to stop on the crossing, so the traffic lights for the cars approaching the intersection through the crossing might be placed before the crossing. Secondly, when a train comes, there's the normal warning signals, but in addition to that, any traffic lights leading to the railroad crossing will stay red, while the lights for directions not through the crossing will stay green, preventing traffic jams as much as possible.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Baronjutter posted:

The problem with my situation is that the rail line is going down the west bound lane. Meaning if the train is going east, it will be going the wrong way and the lane will need to be shut down. I'm sure it would be as simple a flag person just walking to the end of the block and stopping traffic for 5 min. Reasonable? It wouldn't be anything other than a loco and a couple cars going down here, so could stop almost at tram speeds.

We call that "stop and protect," and it's pretty common at low-speed, low-volume grade crossings.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How should the whole area be signed though? Obviously have a railway crossing sign before the tracks on the bottom, but with the tracks immediately to the right of the left road where would you put it so that it gives people turning right warning?

I guess I should wade through this poo poo:
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/railsafety/grade-crossings-standards.htm

Is there a special sort of sign that basically says "yo if you turn right there's going to be a train track right there so like be careful, maybe stop back here if there is otherwise you'll be caught in the intersection" ?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 29, 2014

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Is there a special sort of sign that basically says "yo if you turn right there's going to be a train track right there so like be careful, maybe stop back here if there is otherwise you'll be caught in the intersection" ?

look at this guy thinking that drivers would actually pay attention to warning signs.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Still, a modern tram can stop more or less on a dime. A freight train will not.
Train braking systems aren't as antiquated as they used to be. You'd be surprised how fast you can stop a freight train on a flat plane. Heavy load, 50+ cars highballing at 50+ MPH? Yeah that'll take a mile or two. Most street running trains are traveling no faster than 10 MPH and are usually no more than 10-12 cars in length (and if you have a heavy load, you'll definitely be taking it slow with someone on the ground protecting the right of way). Under those conditions, you can and will stop on a dime if you go into emergency.

Speaking from experience on that one.

Varance fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 30, 2014

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Varance posted:

Train braking systems aren't as antiquated as they used to be. You'd be surprised how fast you can stop a freight train on a flat plane. Heavy load, 50+ cars highballing at 50+ MPH? Yeah that'll take a mile or two. Most street running trains are traveling no faster than 10 MPH and are usually no more than 10-12 cars in length (and if you have a heavy load, you'll definitely be taking it slow with someone on the ground protecting the right of way). Under those conditions, you can and will stop on a dime if you go into emergency. Speaking from experience on that one.

It's true that braking systems are improving, but it's also true that that train took ~500 feet to stop, while a tram would have done it in about ~100 feet and a bus in about ~50 feet (assuming it was travelling ~20-25 mph).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kaal posted:

It's true that braking systems are improving, but it's also true that that train took ~500 feet to stop, while a tram would have done it in about ~100 feet and a bus in about ~50 feet (assuming it was travelling ~20-25 mph).
You're talking about a typical mainline freight, which is depicted in the video. I'm talking industrial spur freight or a commuter run with only a dozen or so cars. At 10MPH, it's going to be less than 500 feet. More like 5-15 feet.