Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Any good FF Tactics style srpgs on the PC?

Agarest War :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

There's the Agarest games on Steam but whether or not you like their brand of dating sim meets SRPG is up to debate.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Even as a slight fan of Agarest I definitely wouldn't recommend it to people looking for something like FFT.

EDIT: ALso yeah, I enjoyed Banner Saga but the combat was just stupid. HP and Damage were the same thing, which you might think is a neat idea, but the way turn order works means keeping enemies alive at 1 HP is the smartest thing to do, so they have useless units clogging up their moves.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The agarest games are boring as hell. The combat is extremely slow and dull, the stories are generic and lean heavily on the romance side of things to draw people in instead of actually making an interesting plot.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The agarest games are boring as hell. The combat is extremely slow and dull, the stories are generic and lean heavily on the romance side of things to draw people in instead of actually making an interesting plot.

They're also grindy as gently caress. Even if you can get past the poor story, awful character design and really creepy fanservice they're games that delight in making you grind. For materials, affection, money you name it.

Also the character portraits freak me out a little. Mostly because they're static anime images that they decided to blow-up and down in a creepy imitation of breathing.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zore posted:

They're also grindy as gently caress. Even if you can get past the poor story, awful character design and really creepy fanservice they're games that delight in making you grind. For materials, affection, money you name it.

Also the character portraits freak me out a little. Mostly because they're static anime images that they decided to blow-up and down in a creepy imitation of breathing.

I'm playing through #2 right now and it doesn't seem grindy to me? The worst was Eva not having enough affection for an event to pop but thats about it. That's on top of me not even using PartyPoints or all the free DLC broken weapon and statups which could let you breeze through the game.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ImpAtom posted:

Haseo is literally called the Player Killer-Killer. That is exactly what happens. He gets ganked and then starts killing PKers in response.

Uh, no. He becomes the PKKer because Shino got ganked. By Tri-Edge. Without Harold giving him the ability to do so after that, he wouldn't have been able to.

And, no, it's not the first time he had logged onto The World either (R:2, yes, but not the game as a whole). He played R:1 when he was 10 as, unsurprisingly, a regular PKer named Sora.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I kinda liked the fake MMO rpg "genre" because you get the best part of the mmo without the grind. I watched SAO for some reason and the first half is pretty good, except for one or 2 moment, it was fine. The second part tough is horrible garbage it's like the series was written by two different people.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The best fake-mmo anime is Log Horizon. Where's my game based on that? I wanna live in the database.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I've never played Shining Force so I grabbed the Sega Genesis Pack 4. I should be able to squeeze $8 of fun out of it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's a Genesis game (though it's a decent length considering its age), so it's pretty plot-lite and fairly simple. Easy too. Still fun, though. A lot of the secret characters are easy to miss, though.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm not too worried about difficulty and the pack has a handful of other games to sink my teeth into if I get bored of it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

I've never played Shining Force so I grabbed the Sega Genesis Pack 4. I should be able to squeeze $8 of fun out of it.

Don't worry, you got Alien Soldier with that so you've won no matter how much you end up liking Shining Force.

Kaiser Schlacht
Nov 18, 2013
What Fire Emblem game should I start with?

I don't know Japanese so I would need one in English... fan translated are fine I guess

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011

Kaiser Schlacht posted:

What Fire Emblem game should I start with?

I don't know Japanese so I would need one in English... fan translated are fine I guess

Fire Emblem (no subtitle, GBA), Sacred Stones (GBA), Path of Radiance (GC), and Awakening (3DS) are all pretty good, have professional translations, and are not especially ball-crushing on normal difficulty. Sacred Stones is particularly easy, 7/no subtitle and Awakening are particularly good, a lot of people love Path of Radiance and it has a direct sequel, Radiant Dawn (Wii). All of them (except RD) are pretty good first games depending on what systems you've got, though it might hurt to go backwards if Awakening is your first one.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Whichever one you play, ignore the urge to reset if someone dies and play it as a roguelike

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fronz posted:

Whichever one you play, ignore the urge to reset if someone dies and play it as a roguelike
Or, you know, don't if you'd prefer to reset.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Winning while keeping everyone alive is the real challenge of the games anyways. Anyone can win by throwing corpses into the meatgrinder and making strategic sacrifices.

Plus, as the games go on, characters begin to gate more and more significant content behind their survival. And replaying a long SRPG because whoops, someone ate a 3% crit so you never got to see whole levels/characters isn't fun for everyone.

Roguelikes work because they're shorter and have a lot more variation and random content generation so they don't get stale. Imagine if in Crawl you had to start as the same race/class and were guaranteed the same layout/enemies/drops with the only differences being your level up stats and some minor variations in the rng used for combat outcomes. I can't imagine people would continuously play it as much.

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 21, 2014

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
the fire emblem games are roughly trivial as is, and stopping people from dying is a mixture of "don't throw people into crowd of seven enemies" and "don't get hit by 3% crit". except maybe the newest one, which I know nothing about. the only difference I'm suggesting is not giving up after random 3% crit.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

It might be a hard sell these days, but consider checking out Temple of Elemental Evil. It's basically just a CRPG adaptation of the D20 system, so it plays more like D&D than FFT, but it is one of the deepest, most tactical combat systems ever put into a game, probably.

Download the Circle of Eight fan patches and you've got yourself a helluva RPG.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Zore posted:

Winning while keeping everyone alive is the real challenge of the games anyways.

the only challenge here is hoping an enemy doesn't get a 'critical hit' on your units, or, "how long can you roll dice."

quote:

except maybe the newest one, which I know nothing about.

rng factors more into awakening than any other title in the series

that said, I think genealogy is the best game in the series.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

fronz posted:

the fire emblem games are roughly trivial as is, and stopping people from dying is a mixture of "don't throw people into crowd of seven enemies" and "don't get hit by 3% crit". except maybe the newest one, which I know nothing about. the only difference I'm suggesting is not giving up after random 3% crit.
The newest one is pretty easy as long as you stick to Hard or below, use the dual system, and know how to play FE in general. Going higher is a massive jump in difficulty though and a lot of pain. It's a shame there's no difficulty in between hard and lunatic.

Basically the latest one allows you to really take the edge off crits by having boosted stats through partnering up and having your partners protect you too. At that point it's a simple matter of not leaving your Pegasus knights in range of archers if you want to be super careful.

I wouldn't mind the perma-death system in FE so much if they just got 'injured' and still let you build up their support levels to see their conversations. Losing a character that you were half way through seeing their support conversations in game is pretty lovely on a first or second playthrough. Until that happens I'm firmly in the play on classic/reset on death camp.

vvv I can't resist the temptation of fielding my favorite characters cause I'm a sucker

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 21, 2014

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Rascyc posted:

I wouldn't mind the perma-death system in FE so much if they just got 'injured' and still let you build up their support levels to see their conversations. Losing a character that you were half way through seeing their support conversations in game is pretty lovely on a first or second playthrough. Until that happens I'm firmly in the play on classic/reset on death camp.

Play on Casual and just don't use a character anymore if he gets killed once?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Basically the latest one allows you to really take the edge off crits by having boosted stats through partnering up and having your partners protect you too. At that point it's a simple matter of not leaving your Pegasus knights in range of archers if you want to be super careful.

On normal you can easily solo the final boss with Chrom/NPC S-link duo. In fact, on normal, the game is mostly making sure archers never get near your knights and then holding the start button while waves of enemies suicide assault your S-link pairs.

Actually the suicide assault thing is why I never got into FE in general because most games revolve around baiting enemies to attack your units that they have no hope of beating mixed with learning what stages summon bullshit reinforcements from when and where.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

fronz posted:

I don't think I'm capable of playing Fire Emblem like this. A roguelike is one thing 'cause if you die it's game over, but losing a character in Fire Emblem is a no-go because you have to carry on. It's like a more brutal version of not using items in RPGs because you might possibly need it sometime down the line.

It's made every single Fire Emblem game a love/hate experience full of dizzying highs and terrifying lows for me.

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I know this is from a few pages back but I'm surprised at all the love for Wild Arms. I could never finish 1 or 2. That whistling and harmonica-based soundtrack is like nails on a chalkboard.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Balthesar posted:

That whistling and harmonica-based soundtrack is like nails on a chalkboard.

I've never seen a more incorrect opinion. You are soulless.

:colbert:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Not empty quoting. Seriously, it has a perfect spaghetti western musical style to it, and more games should take inspiration from it, at least musically. (Shame that the JP version of the WA2 opening is so poo poo, but the brass on the US version more than makes up for it.)

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm all about people having their own opinions but man! WA has one of the best soundtracks of any game, ever. I still whistle the theme to this day.

I will say my wife has similar issues with certain music where she hears it similarly to how Balthesar describes. I can't explain it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

EDIT: Wrong thread.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 22, 2014

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Suikoden II might finally be coming to PSN

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I saw a similar report on siliconera and it inspired me to get Suikoden 1, which I haven't played since, gently caress, middle school.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Balthesar posted:

I know this is from a few pages back but I'm surprised at all the love for Wild Arms. I could never finish 1 or 2. That whistling and harmonica-based soundtrack is like nails on a chalkboard.

There are so many complaints you can square against Wild Arms, from the boring battle system to the half-assed implementation of its supposed wild west theme, and you choose its undeniable best feature?

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I think I'm reaching the end of Trails in the Sky, since I'm in what looks like the final dungeon. The game is giving me the opportunity to pick my party members. Should I bother leveling up all of them, or will I be fine with just one set of characters?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, that's the final dungeon. There's no point leveling everybody, just bring whoever you like best.

Kloe and Oliver is probably the optimal choice though (and you should like Olivier best.)

e: Also I suppose it's worth mentioning that you get the best armor in the game within the dungeon, but it's gender specific - two for women, two for men. So if you want ~pro strats~ take a team with an even ratio.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 23, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Daler Mehndi posted:

I think I'm reaching the end of Trails in the Sky, since I'm in what looks like the final dungeon. The game is giving me the opportunity to pick my party members. Should I bother leveling up all of them, or will I be fine with just one set of characters?
Nah, don't bother grinding, it's the last dungeon. Just pick the two you like most. If you want ~pro strats~ then Tita is kind of objectively terrible but the game isn't hard enough that you need to min/max, just pick your two favorites.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Cake Attack posted:

Yeah, that's the final dungeon. There's no point leveling everybody, just bring whoever you like best.

Kloe and Oliver is probably the optimal choice though (and you should like Olivier best.)

Olivier. :swoon: I'd been using him already, along with Zane.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
We're still getting the second chapter, right? It feels like ages ago Xseed announced it, and new PSP localizations in 2014 seems like such a bizarre thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They showed it on their 2014 celebration thing, and they're localizing the PC port too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

BloodWulfe posted:

We're still getting the second chapter, right? It feels like ages ago Xseed announced it, and new PSP localizations in 2014 seems like such a bizarre thing.

Yeah, it's still happening. We still haven't seen FC on Steam yet because they ran into some programming issues. SC shouldn't be delayed because of that though, since the people who translate/edit are not the people who program.