Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

URL grey tea posted:

So I ran WP for Book of Sky II, beat Tonberry King and.... it didn't mark it as completed? Ran Brayflox and that got marked off just fine. I was robbed I tell you

Were you dead when the boss died?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I hope they add a new class for Thief / Ninja / Samurai / whatever. Giving me another job without actually doing something is kinda lame.

It's weird, but I actually like leveling in this game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

URL grey tea posted:

So I ran WP for Book of Sky II, beat Tonberry King and.... it didn't mark it as completed? Ran Brayflox and that got marked off just fine. I was robbed I tell you

And you were definitely in the right class, with your atma weapon equipped? I've definitely screwed that up before, though it's more likely in a low level dungeon than a level 50 one.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Rei_ posted:

Okay, so I just hit Level 42 Warrior. I got Holmgang, and now I have no idea how to setup my hotbar. I play with a controller just because I find it a lot more comfortable the way I sit and play and it's faster for me to hit all the buttons that way, but I just have SO MANY SKILLS now that I think I have to sit back and reprioritize how to best optimize everything since up until now I was just sort of throwing things on the binds without thinking about it... Anyone have any ideas? Like what should I ALWAYS have access to (Face Buttons) and what's a little less important to always be hammering (D-pad)?

Okay so here's what I use:

And here's my double-trigger bars:

The star is just a hotkey for /focustarget and the ! is for /levelsync because I am balls deep in atma farming. And one of those is a Provoke macro for notifying tank swaps.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Kyrosiris posted:

Were you dead when the boss died?

I actually rolled my eyes when I read this post.

Yeah, I was dead. Low DPS led to the adds ganging up on me near the end and I figured topping off the tank was more important than keeping myself alive when the King only had 5% left. Welp

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

URL grey tea posted:

Yeah, I was dead. Low DPS led to the adds ganging up on me near the end and I figured topping off the tank was more important than keeping myself alive when the King only had 5% left. Welp

This happened to me twice with the Maelstrom hunting log and Terataur. gently caress Sunken Temple, I never want to do that dungeon again.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

URL grey tea posted:

Yup, it's really dumb, but if you're dead when the boss dies you don't get Zodiac Brave (or hunting log, actually) credit. :(

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

SpazmasterX posted:

Okay so here's what I use:

And here's my double-trigger bars:

The star is just a hotkey for /focustarget and the ! is for /levelsync because I am balls deep in atma farming. And one of those is a Provoke macro for notifying tank swaps.

Man, I tried to rebind just now and I loving embarassed myself in the middle of a Stone Vigil run. I was like WHICH ONE OF THESE IS OVERPOWER!!! WHICH ONE OF THESE IS FLASH!! OH GOD, OH GOD WHAT AM I DOING!! I JUST FRACTURED INSTEAD OF INTERRUPTING THIS ATTACK, OH GOD!

Ugh...UGH.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

*redacted*

PhilippAchtel fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 23, 2014

Trenton McCain
Jul 21, 2004

Then they're a ghoul and oooo watch out!
Shout out to Gyaru Gal as well for the glasses!

I love them. They look so cute on her! I need to get my jewelry right as well!

Nulity
Sep 26, 2010
Likewise, shoutout to Gyaru Gal for the wolfram helm!

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
I don't mean to be a buzzkill but you guys should be careful about dealings with Gyaru Gal. They're a known botter and cheater, and random i90 crafted gifts out of nowhere really kind of smells of money dumping to not be flagged as RMT. poo poo's really fishy when he openly position hacks in our FC house.

Garin fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 23, 2014

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Garin posted:

I don't mean to be a buzzkill but you guys should be careful about dealings with Gyaru Gal. They're a known botter and cheater, and random i90 crafted gifts out of nowhere really kind of smells of money dumping to not be flagged as RMT. poo poo's really fishy when he openly position hacks in our FC house.

Ugh, of course that's the kind of people that frequent PBC.

Hipster punk botter cheaters, not in my FC (King K. Rool's Kewl Krew Klub aka DGKK)

Nulity
Sep 26, 2010

Garin posted:

Oh, I see... :ohdear:

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
What wall type is that?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Is this an alright place to ask about the PS3 version? I'm picking the game up tomorrow, and was just wondering if starting as Archer and working towards Bard is viable for a casual player. Also, what are some fun non-tank alternatives if I decide against archer?

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp

Die Laughing posted:

Is this an alright place to ask about the PS3 version? I'm picking the game up tomorrow, and was just wondering if starting as Archer and working towards Bard is viable for a casual player. Also, what are some fun non-tank alternatives if I decide against archer?

Basically all the classes are viable as a casual player just don't expect to see the bleeding edge content until at least the content patch after it. But if you want non tank and the archer isnt your thing Monk is probably the most involved class rotation wise, followed by dragoon and then getting for ranged you have black mage which I personally find the most enjoyable ranged class to play or summoner. Bard is a solid class though and easily some of the highest dps in the game.

Few problems with the PS3 version are going to be in things like Titan hard mode or Ex. Weight of the land will lag the everliving crap out of the PS3. The game just plays better on PS4 and PC.

sleepyfish
Apr 1, 2014

Garin posted:

Was this the same person that was handing out free gil at the PBC house a couple weeks ago? Asked in the DGKK FC chat but nobody was sure.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

sleepyfish posted:

Was this the same person that was handing out free gil at the PBC house a couple weeks ago? Asked in the DGKK FC chat but nobody was sure.

Yep.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

quote:

Patch 2.25 will focus on additions and adjustments to the Wolves' Den, as well as a new system involving materia.
New letter from the producer

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Does anyone do PVP? Seems like a waste of dev time.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
It kind of sounds like they are improving the anima grind, which would be nice. I hope the forums exploded in so much backlash over that we never have to deal with anything so grindy ever again.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I think it's nifty they're actually watching people play. I'm also glad they're changing up the animus a bit so soon. I was going to flat out skip upgrading until down the road. I haven't really been fate grinding outside of hitting up a couple while queuing and I know quite a few people that are doing the same.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Just from reading that letter I know now a more on what the anima grind is people are talking about so often. How bad is grinding for anima? It it just really obtuse to obtain or slow as hell?

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp

Golden Goat posted:

Just from reading that letter I know now a more on what the anima grind is people are talking about so often. How bad is grinding for anima? It it just really obtuse to obtain or slow as hell?

A single animus took me 19 hours of solid grinding from the moment I logged on to the moment I logged off. That is admittedly an abnormally long time for a single one but it's not completely unheard of. Additionally when I went to do the turn in I lost connection and lost 6 of my 12 anima. This was after five solid days of grinding them out and nothing else. Fortunately I really don't mind grinding all that much but I can easily see how many people would consider this bad design.

tl;dr grind grind grind grind grind grind

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Whizbang posted:

Does anyone do PVP? Seems like a waste of dev time.

Yes? I mean some people still do it and more people probably would if it was better balanced and had some issues addressed, so it makes sense that they want to put some more time into improving it. They need to get the balance issues worked out anyway if they want to make the 3-way battleground thing they've got planned work well.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

BobFromMarketing posted:

Additionally when I went to do the turn in I lost connection and lost 6 of my 12 anima.
Wait why did losing your connection lose your anima? Also 19 hours? Is it completely random on if you get one? Why did they think this would be a good idea :psyduck:

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Wait why did losing your connection lose your anima? Also 19 hours? Is it completely random on if you get one? Why did they think this would be a good idea :psyduck:
The exact mechanic for the Atmas and how you get them is you complete FATEs in one of 12 areas in the game and get lucky. The drop rate is low. So you can easily be stuck in one area for much longer than you want to.

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp

Golden Goat posted:

I don't know but I submitted a petition. I was able to regrind out the 6 again before any sort of response was given however. Sometimes you get lucky, do a single FATE and get your prize, sometimes you spend 5-10 hours there. It's completely RNG based which drives a lot of folks up the wall. Then once you have the weapon you must buy a series of 9 books that power up your weapon at 1500 myth tomes a pop. These books contains various tasks within the game that once completed will be checked off and after the entire list is finished you may turn in the book for a bump to the specific state related to the book. You can only have one book at a time however.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

The Atma part isn't that big of a grind, it's the upgrade to Animus that really blows and I can't even imagine how much more absurd that would be if it wasn't for Brayflox HM being such a broken dungeon.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Now I know why whenever I've joined in a FATE in some areas there's always a group of decked out players joining in.

It seems cool at the outset "Power up a weapon to crazy levels" but they've added way too many layers to get the final product. Was it initially intended to be done bit-by-bit as you played? How are the weapons without the upgrades?

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp
They are probably the best weapon you can attain without some sort of guild and/or raiding experience.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I love how yoshi seems shocked that so few players have their Animus already as if though their system was made for it to be easy. Maybe they forgot they tuned mythology gains to be super loving low?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

ilifinicus posted:

I love how yoshi seems shocked that so few players have their Animus already as if though their system was made for it to be easy. Maybe they forgot they tuned mythology gains to be super loving low?

It's certainly possible - it's a pretty huge departure from everything else in the game, Coil included, and Yoshi seems very honest when he talks about his plans.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Golden Goat posted:

Now I know why whenever I've joined in a FATE in some areas there's always a group of decked out players joining in.

It seems cool at the outset "Power up a weapon to crazy levels" but they've added way too many layers to get the final product. Was it initially intended to be done bit-by-bit as you played? How are the weapons without the upgrades?

It's definitely intended as such, but that completely ignores the reality of skinner box MMOs as well as FF14's own progression path. For a "casual" player it's going to be the highest level weapon they have access to eventually, but the path isn't varied enough. The Atma weapons are just X hours of running fates, and the Anima books require a lot of mythology tomes to be farmed - together with having to camp specific fates this makes the more diverse tasks of books pale in comparison. For the poopsock brigade it's the highest level weapon they can work on in their own time, without requiring further RNG luck and lockouts/gating in coil 2 or Leviathan extreme, so that makes Animus weapons sort of a requirement for many of them.

Regarding your second question, the Atma weapon isn't particularly useful on its own because it has the stats of the Zenith relic. The Animus variant on the other hand shares an item level with weapons requiring endgame drops (Leviathan extreme + mirror or soldiery tokens + coil 2 drop) and the only way to get even better weapons is coil 2 drops.

I guess they thought this incentive would push more people to create their Animus weapons, on the other hand they seem to have ignored how much RNG they have in the Atma drops, how low they tuned mythology tomes vs. the amounts they require for each book, and how long their fate respawns are for the books.

orcane fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 23, 2014

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Garin posted:

Welp. I thought he might have come into a lot of money crafting, and what else is a maxed out character going to spend their money on?

Spergy, I know, and no offense to Gyaru Gal, but should I give the item back?

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Garin posted:

If this is true, why the hell is this person still in the FC?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The FATE only drops seems really short sighted. I don't know how people could put up with it.

For mythology tomes, is there multiply ways to obtain them at least so it keeps up variation?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

The FATE only drops seems really short sighted. I don't know how people could put up with it.

If it wasn't such an abysmally low drop rate, most people wouldn't be complaining. If it was something actually chartable and had defined progress like "do 20 FATEs in these 12 zones", even fewer would be.

Golden Goat posted:

For mythology tomes, is there multiply ways to obtain them at least so it keeps up variation?

Oh sure, but Brayflox HM runs are by far the fastest method of acquisition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Golden Goat posted:

You get some amount of myth tomes from virtually any endgame content you do, but most people farm them up by doing the first two bosses of a specific dungeon over and over again.

• Locked thread