Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Mithranderp posted:

Because most people don't know the law and the business owners can get away with it. It's not just computer stores as well; it's medium businesses and franchises. There is a highly exploitable base of international students here in Australia and the big businesses can't take advantage, but the mediums and franchises do. One of my ex-housemates is an international student and did a "trial" for a bubble tea joint; I asked her if she was getting paid for it and she had no idea that you were entitled to get paid for doing a trial. The franchises get away with it because most people would assume that places like Subway or Donut King wouldn't be that dodgy.

My wife was told to do free trials by her Centrelink-associated job search case worker. poo poo is loving rampant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Quantum Mechanic posted:

My wife was told to do free trials by her Centrelink-associated job search case worker. poo poo is loving rampant.

Going back a bit (to like 2003) when I was a young unemployed bum waiting to be accepted to Uni, my job search member told me to go to a free trial at the cafe. When it came time for me to start full time study, they asked me if I would put down that they helped me to get accepted. I told them where to shove it.

The whole job network thing is a scam. They basically benefit from having you on their books for a time, then will shove you into any poo poo position they can find, fully knowing you won't be suitable and will be back on their books again in a months time. In the meantime, they'll do gently caress all else to help you with looking for work. My mother used to work for one back before the system was changed from DSS to Centrelink and it was very different back then.

I milked the system, told my job network member I had no clothes for interviews and no mobile phone (which was true at the time) and managed to score both out of them. That prepaid Nokia brick lasted me a good five years too.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Head office, Milton. The payslip says you're getting Super but it's going to some ghost account which you're never given the details of. Even if you give management your own Super account details to put in, they will still put the Super payment into this weird ghost account which just opens up in your name when you commence employment. I've never gotten the details of this account in order to find the money I am entitled to. I just know, somewhere Umart opened an account "for me" but never gave me the details of it. Other employees have also talked to me about this super account which they also have not gotten the details or access to. For all I know the account may only exist on the payslips themselves and not in reality. When you're employed there you're told your wage is $21/h BUT 3 of those dollars will be subtracted from your pay and put into Super which makes your actual pay $18. I'm not sure how legal this is. I just know that my semi-frequent questions about where this superannuation account is or where the money is has led to my rather sudden termination.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Gough Suppressant posted:

mods ban this sick filth

Every time I walk into umart, a wave of depression washes over me. Everyone is always so miserable.

MSY was a little better, though only a single guy worked there. He was always pretty friendly. Unfortunately the place I usually go to burnt down in an "accident".

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I know someone who was tasked by a major retailer to spend four weeks on a "trial" breaking up boxes during the Xmas period.
When I pointed it out to him he didn't want to make a noise out of fear he wouldn't get employed; he never did regardless.

This seems to be the common factor in why people don't speak up, they'd rather get poo poo pay than none.

MSY's quite ACCC's friend having been smacked with fines totaling around $200,000 for misleading warranties and advertising.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 23, 2014

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

Head office, Milton. The payslip says you're getting Super but it's going to some ghost account which you're never given the details of. Even if you give management your own Super account details to put in, they will still put the Super payment into this weird ghost account which just opens up in your name when you commence employment. I've never gotten the details of this account in order to find the money I am entitled to. I just know, somewhere Umart opened an account "for me" but never gave me the details of it. Other employees have also talked to me about this super account which they also have not gotten the details or access to. For all I know the account may only exist on the payslips themselves and not in reality. When you're employed there you're told your wage is $21/h BUT 3 of those dollars will be subtracted from your pay and put into Super which makes your actual pay $18. I'm not sure how legal this is. I just know that my semi-frequent questions about where this superannuation account is or where the money is has led to my rather sudden termination.

Were you one of the customer service guys at the counter? If so, this sucks because you were probably the nice guy there that I usually had serve me.

That sounds wrong too. The way I've had it explained that super and salary/wage are seperate, but you're usually given a figure, like $40k renumeration a year and part of that is super (9%). 9% of $21 is $1.89, so the whole $3 going to a different account is probably just them skimming your salary, putting it into a savings account and pocketing the interest. That sounds pretty lovely and horrible for an employer, but I'm guessing you were on a part time permanent employed basis and they weren't giving you sick leave or annual leave, so it's not too far a stretch to assume they're capable of the above.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

WebDog posted:

MSY's quite ACCC's friend having been smacked with fines totaling around $200,000 for misleading warranties and advertising.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure they've been compelled to post their Australian Consumer Law obligations up at their stores; I've seen notices about ACL at one of their shops. This is because their policy used to pretty much be "no refunds for any reason" which I'm guessing they tried to use on the wrong nerd.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

CrazyTolradi posted:

Were you one of the customer service guys at the counter?
Worse, I was the fast warehouse guy who got your orders.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Anidav posted:

Sounds like you're having some trouble managing your super, this might help

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

Yeah your super sure as gently caress doesn't legally get taken out of your wage, it is additional on top of your wage. Hang these fuckers out to dry.

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

Anidav posted:

Everything posted here is sketchy as gently caress. As has been said hang them the gently caress out to dry.

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
This may not help you since more than likely they're loving with you, but if you register for ATO's online services you can see all the Super that has been reported to the ATO as being held for you. It might not be completely up to date as superfunds only report once a year but it might help. It's actually really helpful and I was able to finally combine three super accounts and some lost funds which I never had the effort to fill out all the different forms for previously as I am a terrible accountant. Also pfft as if our generation will reach retirement age.

http://www.ato.gov.au/Calculators-and-tools/SuperSeeker/

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Generation Y is just going to have to literally dig deep and toil in the salt mines until the revised retirement age of ninety seven. Your country needs you to help fix the budget.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Captain Pissweak posted:

Your country needs you to help fix the budget buy shoddy fighter jets that fail after take off.

Fixed this for you.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Bold the whole thing

Australians from all walks of life should brace for a serious tightening of federal government expenditure, Joe Hockey has warned but it appears it will be older Australians who will be asked to do some of the heaviest lifting in a budget repair task being cast as a moral and economic necessity.

In a speech just weeks ahead of his first budget, Mr Hockey has railed against the unsustainability of the age pension, the growing cost of aged care services, and the drain on the budget from the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, which he noted was weighed down with 80 per cent of its costs coming from concessional usage.

"The problem we have is that the volume of demand for these programmes is outstripping the capacity of taxpayers to fund them," Mr Hockey warned.

Advertisement

<i>Illustration: Cathy Wilcox</i>
Illustration: Cathy Wilcox
"Between 2010 and 2050 the percentage of people of working age supporting those over the age of 65 in Australia will almost halve.

"So the policies must be changed, either now or more dramatically in the future."

Announcing that the long-withheld Commission of Audit report would finally be released next week, the Treasurer said the budget would draw some recommendations from the report but would either delay or reject others.

He said every sector of the community would be affected including households, corporates, and the public sector.

In an effort to drive the budget back into the black, he said the budget would contain significant across-the-board spending cuts and would also feature wider use of means testing for welfare benefits and the more extensive use of co-payments for services until now free of such user charges.

That appeared to vindicate reports that a new $6 fee for GP visits to be met by the patient could be in the the offing as well as possible payments for hospital services, and other government provided benefits.

Mr Hockey said the charges would "encourage moderation in demand for services", noting that "nothing is free - someone always pays".

Mr Hockey is expected to outline a slightly faster return to surplus than has previously been foreshadowed with an accompanying graph in his speech showing the government's balance sheet could achieve balance in 2018-19 on a path towards a solid surplus of 1 per cent of GDP by 2023-24.

The speech, a keynote address in Sydney on Wednesday evening, was designed to frame the public debate ahead of the budget.

Citing what he dubbed "a strong economic and moral imperative to change course," Mr Hockey, said it was only by getting back to surplus that the country could stop borrowing money - which this year alone meant an interest bill of $12 billion or "about the same as we spend on higher education".

Having previously called for an end to the "age of entitlement", Mr Hockey spent some time in his speech focusing on the expanding cost of the age pension, arguing that as the population ages it places an increasing burden on other people.

"Of Australians over the age of 65, four out of five receive a full or part pension," he said.

"If we also take into account the concessionary health card, then only 14 per cent of older Australians receive no government payments.

"Despite spending billions of dollars in taxation benefits for superannuation, by 2050, the ratio of Australians receiving a full or part pension will still be around four out of five.

He said aged care was "now the eighth largest category of spending".

"We spend more on aged care than we do on higher education or child care.

"And the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme is the 10th largest category of spending.

"Nearly 80 per cent of the scheme’s expenditure is attributable to concessional recipients."

Mr Hockey revealed the Commission of Audit had recommended that real spending growth be capped at no more than 1.75 per cent if the budget was to have any chance of returning to a long-term goal of achieveing a surplus equal to 1 per cent of GDP.

Labor's spending growth target was a maximum 2 per cent but it never achieved that after the stimulus splurge needed to avoid a GFC-led recession.

The opposition immediately criticised the Hockey speech as an alibi for broken promises.

"The Abbott government created their own budget emergency, and now they are telling pensioners to pay for it," said Opposition Leader Bill Shorten.

"If the Prime Minister is so desperate to cut, he should leave pensioners alone and start with his extravagant paid parental leave scheme.

"The Prime Minister promised ‘no change to pensions’ and he can’t talk his way around that, try as he might."

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Bifauxnen posted:

Man, I wonder how far they can go with this. If Umart's been operating for years and years like that, could they get sued for so much back pay and super and stuff that they get completely loving destroyed? That would really make me happy. :allears:

They're also the ones who store passwords in plaintext so yeh enjoy getting your poo poo hacked too (it's already happened once a few years ago).

Umart are cheap and this is why. I am sure MSY are the same, but we just don't know it. Computer Alliance at Mt Gravatt seem way more legit but expect it to cost more because of it.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Anidav posted:

Sounds dodgy as gently caress as at the least you need to know the super details so you can change accounts if you wish. The fact that this super firm hasn't contacted you with requests for information or statements suggests it doesn't exist.

Might suck, but have to fight them. They get away with it because others can't or wont stand up. Since you're wronged you can get Fair Work and whoever else involved.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Just gently caress it all

Treasurer Joe Hockey has warned next month's federal budget will introduce tougher means testing of support payments and more upfront costs for government services.

In a speech made in Sydney entitled The Case for Change, Mr Hockey began to unveil the findings and recommendations of the Government's much-anticipated Commission of Audit, which the Coalition is using to frame the May 13 budget.

The commission handed its final report to the Government late last month and the Treasurer will release it publicly next week.

Mr Hockey says the report makes it clear the nation has "a serious spending problem" and recommends "substantial spending restraint".

"Budget repair is going to require some difficult decisions, including winding back some spending that people have come to take for granted," he said.

"Means testing must become an even more important part of Australia's transfer system to ensure the sustainability of our income support payments. Support must be targeted to those in most need.

"More use of co-payments should be made to encourage some moderation in demand for government-provided goods and services. Nothing is free. Someone always pays.

"It is appropriate that those who use government services should contribute towards their cost."

So if Australians ask themselves of the budget in May, 'what's in it for me?', my response will be a better future.
Joe Hockey

There have been widespread reports the Government is poised to introduce a $6 co-payment for bulk-billed GP appointments, raise the age of the pension from 67 to 70 and address the growth in Family Tax Benefit B.

Mr Hockey says there will be numerous instances where budget decisions will be implemented over time, but has warned that "every sector of the community - households, corporates and the public sector alike - will be expected to contribute".

"So if Australians ask themselves of the budget in May, 'What's in it for me?', my response will be a better future," he said.

"I ask Australians not to judge this budget on what they get or lose today. This budget is about our quality of life for the years ahead."
Commission of Audit made 86 recommendations

Mr Hockey says the Commission of Audit has made 86 recommendations, some of which can be "actioned in the short term".

"Others will require further consideration, and some will be rejected outright," he said.

The report has focused on the 15 largest government programs and found they are also the nation's fastest growing.

The age pension tops the list with a cost this financial year of $39.5 billion.
Video: Economist Saul Eslake talks to 7.30 host Sarah Ferguson (7.30)

In a further signal the pension is set for changes in the budget, Mr Hockey emphasised that is "much more than we spend on defence, or hospitals, or schools each year".

"It is our single biggest spending program," he said. "So the policies must be changed, either now or more dramatically in the future."

He says the Government will continue to support the "most vulnerable" people, but says there will be an "ongoing and relentless focus on fiscal discipline".

Mr Hockey has highlighted the Government's plans to introduce a wage-replacement paid parental leave scheme and infrastructure spending as key measures to boost productivity and economic growth.

Child care and paid parental leave are listed by the commission among the top spending programs, at number 12, and it is the second-fastest growing with average annual growth slated to be 11.5 per cent.

The Coalition's new scheme is due to begin in 2015 at a cost of $5.5 billion a year, partly paid for by a 1.5 per cent levy on big business.

But the Opposition has slammed the scheme - which pays mothers who earn up to $150,000 a year their full wage for six months - and says it should be dumped.

"If the Prime Minister is so desperate to cut, he should leave pensioners alone and start with his extravagant paid parental leave scheme," Opposition Leader Bill Shorten said in a statement.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

quote:

Mr Hockey says the report makes it clear the nation has "a serious spending problem" and recommends "substantial spending restraint".

"Budget repair is going to require some difficult decisions, including winding back some spending that people have come to take for granted," he said.

I went looking for the growing Ironicat gif for this and it turns out virtually all the returns are cartoons from past political cartoon threads.

I don't know, Mr. Hockey, maybe you could save some money if you hadn't just spent fifty-eight billion dollars on fighter jets that don't work?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyJh3qKjSMk

Replace "Trident" with F-35.

quote:

Fighters strike the right note on national security

GREG SHERIDAN
The Australian
April 24, 2014 12:00AM

Print
Save for later

IF I believed in reincarnation, I think I’d like to come back as a Joint Strike Fighter. Lean, sinuous, sleek, intimidating, the best in my class. Ah ...

But we shouldn’t be frivolous. The Abbott government has made the right decision in announcing the purchase of 58 more JSFs. This will provide ultimately a fleet of 72 of the most formidable fighter jets the world has seen. Bill Shorten deserves credit for backing this decision. His instincts on geostrategic issues are all sound, which is good for the Labor Party, and for Australia. The JSF acquisition speaks to the character of the Abbott government and settles several theological questions about its approach to defence.

The Abbott government is clearly serious about security. It wants the Australian Defence Force to have a high-end war- fighting capability, not to be a glori­fied police force. Although the $12.4 billion set aside for the 58 JSFs does not involve new money, the Abbott government’s commitment to significant capability in defence, in a time of straitened budgetary circumstances, is profoundly in the ­national interest.

Australia, a rich country with a vast land mass and tiny population, has had as doctrine the maintenance of a technological edge. This is possible because we are rich and we are US allies. Ten other US friends and allies have committed to the JSF. Japan and South Korea will buy JSFs, and Singapore is very likely to.

The JSF is a fifth-generation stealth fighter. The alternatives available to us, such as a larger fleet of F18 Super Hornets, are fourth-generation planes. The epoc­hal importance of the JSF ­decision is illustrated this way. If we had made any other decision, we would have been deliberately choosing, for the first time in our modern history, to abandon any serious effort to maintain a technological edge in defence. We would have ceded technological supremacy not only to our friends and allies such as Japan and South Korea, but also to China and Russia, who are both working hard on fifth-generation fighters, and in due course to their allies and customers.

This decision also almost certainly means the Abbott government will proceed to some significant defence budget increase before the end of its first term. There won’t be a big increase in this coming budget, although I believe defence will be well treated and there might be some limited increase.

The JSF decision reflects well on Defence Minister David Johnston, but there is no doubt Abbott himself is invested in both the JSF and the Coalition’s commitment to increase the def­ence budget within a decade to 2 per cent of GDP. This is a profoundly ­important commitment. Typic­ally in Australian history, there have been two drivers of increased defence expenditure — sustained economic growth or deep security challenges.

Abbott is committed to remediating the absolute mess Labor made of the defence budget even though growth is subdued and the budget is challenged. Perhaps only an Abbott prime ministership could possibly deliver this. You have to conclude that, while ever Abbott is PM, Australia will remain on the track of a serious defence capability.

The JSF decision also means a lot for our allies. It not only gives us guaranteed air superiority in our own approaches, but also is a plane superbly equipped for interoperability with the Americans, and with other US allies. But even more than that, it means that in any US-led coalition operation anywhere in the world, and at any level of intensity, Australia will be well equipped to take part. This is in striking contrast to the inability to deploy our planes — F111s or F18s — in Iraq because of inferior electronic warfare capabilities.

Between the Americans and their allies there will ultimately be 3000 or more JSFs operating in the world (the vast majority in the US force, of course). That means that, without any additional res­earch and development on our part, our planes will be on a path of continuous upgrade, especially to their software. In effect, our air- combat capabilities are future- proofed. It is vanishingly unlikely the Chinese or Russians will ever catch the Americans in this technology, but if they do it will not be for decades to come. This is the best investment we could possibly make in our own security.

And Abbott made it plain yesterday that he is sympathetic to the idea that ultimately we might buy more than 72 JSFs. Later squadrons could be unmanned aircraft or even a mixture of manned and unmanned.

Don’t be deterred by controversies about costs and capabilities. The birth of every aircraft type is accompanied by much screaming and a lot of extra bills. The unit costs of the JSFs are heading down. All the nonsense spoken yesterday about superiority of the F22 Raptor ignores key facts: the Raptor ceased production in 2011 and will not be revived; the US would never export it; and it doesn’t do some of the things we need, such as maritime attack. The JSF is in any event moving past the Raptor. Soon enough, they will be retro-fitting JSF radar on to the Raptor.

Of course, being an Australian story, there are some peculiar inefficiencies. We will have our first operational squadron of JSFs by 2020. That gives us a lot of comfort, as it is several years after the first US Marine JSF squadron comes into operation in 2015 or 2016. Because we panicked a bit and bought Super Hornets and then Growlers, due to JSF delays, we will for a time operate simultaneously four different types of fast jets — classic Hornets, Super Hornets, Growlers and JSFs.

Yet one of the very key points of the JSF is that it is a multi-task fighter. It can do all the roles we want and therefore offers immense economies by having just one logistics, loading, pilot training, etc, system across all your planes. Instead, with our small air force and small defence budget, the usual cockamamie defence procurement buggers’ muddle will result in our simultaneously operating four different types of plane all to do the same job.

But we are on the right track now, committed to the best. Our security requires no less.

Lid fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 23, 2014

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0jgZKV4N_A

Replace "Queen Elizabeth" with F-35
And "F-35B" with F-35A
And "Scottish Nationalists" with brown people on boats

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

quote:

So if Australians ask themselves of the budget in May, 'what's in it for me?', my response will be a better future.

HOW? WHERE? WHAT THE HELL IS GOING TO BE LEFT FOR PEOPLE TO BUILD A FUTURE WITH?

Bootstraps.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Can you loving image the furore and feigned outrage if Gillard or Rudd had tried to do what Hockey is doing?

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
On the plus side, taking money away from the oldies is likely to piss off the libs primary constituent base enough that we have one term tony?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Can't have war orphans and broke pensioners getting a sense of entitlement can we? Not when we have fighter jets and negative gearing to support

:negative:

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

If Tony was a fighter pilot what would his nick name be?

Flappy bird.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

duck monster posted:

Flappy bird.

Dongle.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Budgie

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jesus christ you can actually hear the testicles slapping against Sheridan's chin.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I think the solution to stop the growing expense that is the age pension is to kill all baby boomers.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

An added benefit: we would probably see a change of government the following election.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/apr/23/begging-ban-perth-city-council-pushes-to-outlaw-beggars-in-city-centre

quote:

Begging ban: Perth city council pushes to outlaw beggars in city centre

A push by Perth city council to make begging a crime has been criticised by a peak housing body for the homeless.

Perth wants the West Australian government to bring back a law that would see begging banned in the CBD. The Gallop government in 2004 repealed its anti-begging laws following a recommendation from the Law Reform Commission. Begging is outlawed in Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania and Queensland.

I didn't know begging was outlawed in those states. This law seems needlessly cruel to me

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Fight this. This is the first step on a road to trying to make being homeless a crime. They keep trying new methods out here, usually in the South, and it's never not despicable. There was a city, in South Carolina I think, that decided to make taking food from trash cans a crime.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

beetroy posted:

An added benefit: we would probably see a change of government the following election.

Not to mention the housing market would be flooded with properties and cause the price to plummet.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Amethyst posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/apr/23/begging-ban-perth-city-council-pushes-to-outlaw-beggars-in-city-centre

I didn't know begging was outlawed in those states. This law seems needlessly cruel to me

I knew it was banned in Vic but I always thought it was one of those laws that wasn't actively pursued, unless the cops were just wanting to move someone on for other reasons or just be arseholes. Which I guess means always.

I guess it comes out of the old belief that begging, drugs and crime were linked which I think research has gone a long way to abolishing. Definitely a link between people and beg and who use drugs but whether or not the begging is due to drugs or their circumstance (eg homeless) is because of the drugs becomes rather complicated.

A lot of recent research shows that the majority, ~90% of individuals begging, are sleeping rough or not in ideal circumstances (eg squat or overcrowded / illegal rooming houses)

PILCH (now Justice Connect) wrote a paper calling to abolish the law in vic in Nov 2010.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
I haven't noticed the "no begging" laws really being enforced in the Brisbane CBD, even on Adelaide street--right in front of the police beat--where people will approach you at bus stops for money. So WA might bring these laws in, but if it's anything like Brisbane, the police would be wasting way too much time on getting these guys. I mean, it's not like they're going to get fine money from a homeless person. In any case, QLD police are too busy with the Bikie menace.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Mithranderp posted:

I haven't noticed the "no begging" laws really being enforced in the Brisbane CBD, even on Adelaide street--right in front of the police beat--where people will approach you at bus stops for money. So WA might bring these laws in, but if it's anything like Brisbane, the police would be wasting way too much time on getting these guys. I mean, it's not like they're going to get fine money from a homeless person. In any case, QLD police are too busy with the Bikie menace.

Newman's probably confused as to why other states haven't caught on to the real cause of crime in Australia. I could totally see him "going tough" on homeless people here though, if he runs out of other bogeymen first (bikies, gangs, immigrants, old people, young people).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

CrazyTolradi posted:

Newman's probably confused as to why other states haven't caught on to the real cause of crime in Australia. I could totally see him "going tough" on homeless people here though, if he runs out of other bogeymen first (bikies, gangs, immigrants, old people, young people).

He'd never crack down on old people; they're his prime demographic.

• Locked thread