Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Spigs posted:

I had a chance to play Minion at PAX this year, the creators were running demos and seemed to be consistently busy which was good. The game play is very similar to Magic only with a contained deck and a definite tongue in cheek attitude. I'm backing it and thought it was a lot of fun. If anyone's on the fence and has questions let me know, and I'll answer as best I can.

I guess I should ask despite backing it already - I'm buying this for family game nights with my boys, do you think a kid could pick this up with some guidance and have fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spigs
Jun 5, 2008

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I guess I should ask despite backing it already - I'm buying this for family game nights with my boys, do you think a kid could pick this up with some guidance and have fun?

You don't way how old but I'd say 10+ would be fine. I started playing Magic when I was that age and was able to wrap my head around it pretty quickly. The one deck means that within a couple of play through they should be relatively familiar with the cards so any more complicated mechanics should be familiar. There wasn't anything overly complicated in our game that I think kids would really struggle with.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Blue Dungeon Tiles added the new pledge levels, and they're basically easy-pick setups so you don't have to do the math for add-ons.

EXPERT/$80 gets you 2 Basic Sets, two of the bonus one-tile-from-the-first-five-add-on sets, and six add-ons of your choosing (200 tiles total) plus the tokens, case, and PDFs. ADVANCED/$140 gets you the above but with 11 Add-on sets (260 tiles total), and CURATOR/$240 is 3 Basic sets, 3 sets of bonus tiles, and 19 Add-on sets.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Blue Dungeon Tiles added the new pledge levels, and they're basically easy-pick setups so you don't have to do the math for add-ons.

EXPERT/$80 gets you 2 Basic Sets, two of the bonus one-tile-from-the-first-five-add-on sets, and six add-ons of your choosing (200 tiles total) plus the tokens, case, and PDFs. ADVANCED/$140 gets you the above but with 11 Add-on sets (260 tiles total), and CURATOR/$240 is 3 Basic sets, 3 sets of bonus tiles, and 19 Add-on sets.

Sorry, I'm still confused by how he's set it up: so if I want that "six of everything" deal mentioned a few posts back, what should I back at?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

How is this a good deal? From what I see, you can get the rulebook for $25-$35. That dice game shouldn't retail for $45...

You also get 9 faction decks which run about $8 a faction. Should give you enough cards/miniatures to play anything in their tabletop game without ever buying anything again, and the board game stuff as well.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Peas and Rice posted:

Sorry, I'm still confused by how he's set it up: so if I want that "six of everything" deal mentioned a few posts back, what should I back at?

I believe you can do EXPERT (for 6 sets) plus $30 ($10 for each remaining set), that should cover it. I'll ask on the KS comments; Kevin has been amazing about answering questions.

e: Or go ADVANCED and get one of every add-on set, plus two duplicates.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

M. Night Skymall posted:

You also get 9 faction decks which run about $8 a faction. Should give you enough cards/miniatures to play anything in their tabletop game without ever buying anything again, and the board game stuff as well.

I think it's important to note that the base "get all the stretch rewards" level is $120 for the two main boxes + stretch goals (including some which will also be usable in Myth). The $200 level -might- be a deal if you want to also play the tabletop minis game and use the Recon figures for it plus the dice game etc, but it should not be confused with the baseline buy-in.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

M. Night Skymall posted:

Ah, I missed the decks portion. That makes more sense then. Has anyone played the Mercs tabletop game? The only guy I know who has says that the rules were terribly written.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

berzerkmonkey posted:

Ah, I missed the decks portion. That makes more sense then. Has anyone played the Mercs tabletop game? The only guy I know who has says that the rules were terribly written.

The rules fit on an index card. I pretty much dropped out of the KS because I don't think their 2.0 rulebook will be significantly different. It's a nice game in that there's no point buy to track and there's no tape measure required, but having checked out the rules for Mercs and the rules for Deadzone I think Mantic has the better offering. You can spend 200 bucks and get 4 factions and a board game that I personally don't care about, or you could spend 200 bucks on Deadzone and get 4 pretty well filled-out factions, the mat, and a ton of terrain, and have it within a couple weeks.

As far as the "decks" are concerned it's not really a deck, it's 1 card per mini which you could have downloaded off their website in the first place.

I would probably put my pledge back up if they offered a tabletop-only pledge but they haven't returned answers to my questions or inquiries about a tabletop-only pledge so whatever

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I believe you can do EXPERT (for 6 sets) plus $30 ($10 for each remaining set), that should cover it. I'll ask on the KS comments; Kevin has been amazing about answering questions.

e: Or go ADVANCED and get one of every add-on set, plus two duplicates.

I sent him a question on KS but he hasn't replied yet.

As soon as I know, I'll pledge. :getin:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The REAL Gtab Fan posted:

The cool quad mechs are locked, what the gently caress.

Also ya, looks like you only can really pledge for one 'army' without doing a bunch of addons.

This one just opened up some new higher pledge levels with more medium and heavy mechs, including one that offers two large forces in the one pledge, if that's what you're after. The quads are still locked for later stretch goals though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Peas and Rice posted:

I sent him a question on KS but he hasn't replied yet.

As soon as I know, I'll pledge. :getin:
Let me know, too. I asked in the comments but he hasn't answered yet. I'm trying to resist just going in for the $140 level and getting everything even though I know they're going to be available later.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Interesting article by Fred Hicks about FATE conversion stretch goals: https://www.deadlyfredly.com/2014/04/just-add-fate-maybe-not/

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jeremyglen/creature-caster-first-wave?ref=live

Creature caster up. They have large models and are making crazy money. Might pick up the pincher demon for my slaanesh army.

EDIT: Looks like they fixed the Spider Demons dumb blowjob face, so I might pick that one up too.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 19, 2014

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah a lot of people complained so he changed it. A similar thing happened with the feathers on the Vulture Demon. I actually really like that kind of respond to feedback. Even so I'm not sure how much I buy his excuse that the blowjob face was a remnant of a previous sculpt they couldn't work out.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
They also have an alternate face in the updates which is way more interesting.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I could have sworn I saw these exact same models were up on a kickstarter a few months ago. AM I CRAZY?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Bucnasti posted:

I could have sworn I saw these exact same models were up on a kickstarter a few months ago. AM I CRAZY?

The kickstarter was meant to launch earlier in the year but was delayed and they've had a kickstarter page and video on their own website for a while that was linked earlier in the thread. Maybe that's where you saw it?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Minion just released their plans for stretchgoals. Some are free rewards like more cards, but 3 of them are to unlock addons. One's just for getting a bunch of tokens and counter cards for $4, but there's also 2 themed 40-card expansions to unlock: Just Too Cute and Gravediggin'. Each expansion will be $15. If they only unlock one then there's a vote on which one to unlock, but if the funding reaches 55k then both will be unlocked.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Mehuyael posted:

Minion just released their plans for stretchgoals. Some are free rewards like more cards, but 3 of them are to unlock addons. One's just for getting a bunch of tokens and counter cards for $4, but there's also 2 themed 40-card expansions to unlock: Just Too Cute and Gravediggin'. Each expansion will be $15. If they only unlock one then there's a vote on which one to unlock, but if the funding reaches 55k then both will be unlocked.

$15 seems like quite a bit for just 40 cards considering the base game is $30 for 120 cards (and even cheaper if you got the early bird pledge for $25).

For a game that seems this simple, I'm a little concerned about its cost, the lack of gameplay videos let alone rules, and a delivery date of over a year. Also, the randomness you'd get from no duplicates and a random draw from one community deck seems rather Fluxxish to me.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Pixel Glory's been on Kickstarter about a week now and looks to be doing pretty well. I'm getting a little tired of pixel art, myself, but I'm a sucker for drafting-based card games and am probably gonna back this.

Did an interview with the guy behind it this morning, too.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

medchem posted:

$15 seems like quite a bit for just 40 cards considering the base game is $30 for 120 cards (and even cheaper if you got the early bird pledge for $25).

For a game that seems this simple, I'm a little concerned about its cost, the lack of gameplay videos let alone rules, and a delivery date of over a year. Also, the randomness you'd get from no duplicates and a random draw from one community deck seems rather Fluxxish to me.

The $15 figure might include world-wide shipping, though that's not for certain.

They'll supposedly have some gameplay videos from PAX "soon", we'll see. Some rules would be nice, that's true. As for the delivery date, the one they put is actually the worst case scenario, they hope to send copies out as early as November I think. Unfortunately they only mention that in a small update-comment.

And as for too much randomness, someone actually just asked about this and apparently while no two cards will have the exact same effect, some cards will have similar effects, similar enough to keep things from being too random.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Let me know, too. I asked in the comments but he hasn't answered yet. I'm trying to resist just going in for the $140 level and getting everything even though I know they're going to be available later.

He wrote me back over the weekend. I'm gonna go in at the EXPERT+ level:

quote:

Thanks for the question and your support. Hmmm. The BASIC ($30 in the US) pledge gets you 6 of all 8 of the basic designs (48 tiles) plus 16 more Bonus tiles from Stretch Goals 1-5 that consists of one of each of the new tile designs opened and 6 Stair Tiles. Then, they vary a bit but each Expansion Set Add-On is 3 sets for $25. There is some variance in set 6,8, and 9 but the others are 12 tiles, 6 each of two tiles with one design on the front and one on the back. With 9 Expansion sets that would be +$75 for a total of $105 for 166 tiles.
A better deal is EXPERT ($80) which give you two sets of BASIC (48x2) and two sets of Bonus tiles (16x2) and 6 Expansion Sets Add-Ons of your choice (Lets assume 1-6) for a total of 194 tiles. Take three more Add-Ons for $25 (lets assume 7-9) for 36 tiles That totals to $105 for 230 tiles. This is the better deal. Besides the price, you get another set of Basic tiles which are more versatile. Hope that helped but feel free to ask me if you still have questions.

So I'm going EXPERT + 3 Add-Ons for $25, at $105 total. Seems pretty sweet!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Peas and Rice posted:

He wrote me back over the weekend. I'm gonna go in at the EXPERT+ level:

So I'm going EXPERT + 3 Add-Ons for $25, at $105 total. Seems pretty sweet!

Awesome, that's pretty much what I wanted to hear. In for $105 too, because drat that's a lot of stuff.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

medchem posted:

Still no answer about add-on shippinge: the shipping is included, but they just put out a gameplay video. I'll check it soonish.

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 22, 2014

Germ
May 7, 2013

Hmmm... Right out of the gate, SDE! posts an epic, detailed update on production status:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1257458293/super-dungeon-explore-forgotten-king/posts/818961

Between this, and the no Kickstarter exclusives (to see to the long-term viability of the game), the Soda pop folks seem to be doing things right on this one. I also noted, in the Wrath of Kings comments, that CMON took responsibility for (or, at least refused to blame Soda Pop and took ultimate responsibility as the game's publisher) the Relic Knights delays.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I'm running a Kickstarter campaign for a horror fiction magazine, but this should be of interest to the thread.

My good buddy Brennen Reece agreed to write a short game for the first issue. This is a draft of the cover and the pitch. The game will probably end up on my website eventually, so you don't need to back us to get it, but backers do get it first and we'll be looking for playtesters.

Rust & Flame
is a 4-5 page storytelling game that will be included in issue #1. This is extra content that adds to the total page count, it does not replace a short story.

Inspired by the fiction of Carson McCullers, Flannery O'Connor, and H. P. Lovecraft, Rust & Flame is a storytelling minigame about a small-time newspaper reporter who travels to the rural South to expose the horrible truth about a vicious unsolved crime. One player plays the role of The Reporter, whose ruthless ambition to get her story may very well be her ruin. The other players play the roles of the townspeople -- enigmatic, broken, and dangerous characters with their own secrets and ambitions.

Rust & Flame is powered by Vincent Baker's Apocalypse Engine. Experience with tabletop roleplaying games, creative writing, or improv theatre is recommended but not required.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1253195324/aghast-a-journal-of-the-darkly-fantastic/posts/819361

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1648780792/aetherium?ref=live

Met the Aetherium guys at Adepticon briefly, and it seems like a legit game.
It's a 1v1 boardgame where you try to control some nodes and move terrain around WITH THE POWER OF THE INTERNET. The minis aren't bad, and the game looks interesting. It has some good back-and-forth even if the dice mechanic is a bit wonky.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

ravenkult posted:

I'm running a Kickstarter campaign for a horror fiction magazine, but this should be of interest to the thread.

My good buddy Brennen Reece agreed to write a short game for the first issue. This is a draft of the cover and the pitch. The game will probably end up on my website eventually, so you don't need to back us to get it, but backers do get it first and we'll be looking for playtesters.

Rust & Flame
is a 4-5 page storytelling game that will be included in issue #1. This is extra content that adds to the total page count, it does not replace a short story.

Inspired by the fiction of Carson McCullers, Flannery O'Connor, and H. P. Lovecraft, Rust & Flame is a storytelling minigame about a small-time newspaper reporter who travels to the rural South to expose the horrible truth about a vicious unsolved crime. One player plays the role of The Reporter, whose ruthless ambition to get her story may very well be her ruin. The other players play the roles of the townspeople -- enigmatic, broken, and dangerous characters with their own secrets and ambitions.

Rust & Flame is powered by Vincent Baker's Apocalypse Engine. Experience with tabletop roleplaying games, creative writing, or improv theatre is recommended but not required.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1253195324/aghast-a-journal-of-the-darkly-fantastic/posts/819361

I backed this solely on that art. It's that evocative.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fenarisk posted:

It's a Cthulhu-esque tentacle thingy Photoshopped into a photo of a cornfield. What's evocative about that?

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
What's the consensus on The Agents? This is a revised edition, so I was hoping someone's actually played it and can say if it's dogshit or not.

I'm also a sucker for hidden role party games, so Good Cop, Bad Cop looks fun. Seems to keep pretty simple, and combine Werewolf with Cash 'n Guns.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I Kickstarted the original Agents and it's pretty good. It's nothing amazingly deep, but it's a pretty fun "take it out and play half an hour to kill time" game where you have to put some actual thought into your moves if you want to win.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Jedit posted:

It's a Cthulhu-esque tentacle thingy Photoshopped into a photo of a cornfield. What's evocative about that?

Art is dead.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

ravenkult posted:

Art is dead.

That which is not art may eternal lie
And with strange criticism, even Dada may die.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I Kickstarted the original Agents and it's pretty good. It's nothing amazingly deep, but it's a pretty fun "take it out and play half an hour to kill time" game where you have to put some actual thought into your moves if you want to win.

I agree with this. I backed it originally and played the base game a few times, and it's fun. People seem to like the fact that almost every card that's played will help you as well as help someone else. This makes it so you don't feel like you're getting screwed all the time. You do need to put a lot of thoughts into your moves. Overall I'd recommend at least the base game, haven't tried any of the expansions yet. It's nice that the box for the base game is very small, so you can bring it with you without taking up much space.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

ravenkult posted:

Art is dead.

It's no "my daughter could draw that, and she's three." But it's sure in the same neighborhood.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

What's the consensus on The Agents? This is a revised edition, so I was hoping someone's actually played it and can say if it's dogshit or not.

Definitely worth it. It's not expensive and it's pretty smart, original, and attractive to boot.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Might investigate Good Cop Bad Cop further, I like Kickstarters which provide full rule breakdowns and it's something that I want to encourage in board game/card game KSes.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

palecur posted:

It's no "my daughter could draw that, and she's three." But it's sure in the same neighborhood.

Even if this wasn't a completely loving terrible thing to say, it isn't even true. This is the hobby that puts Wayne Reynolds on book covers; it has absolutely no room to say what is and isn't 'art'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Fenarisk posted:

Thanks man, you cool.

palecur posted:

I'm sorry you didn't like it. :ohdear:

• Locked thread