Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Alfred J. Kwak, definitely. "But they are big and I am small, it's not fair!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
"It's not easy being red."

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Finally got a final offer about HK, they are ready to give me a $1K CAD/month raise. That would put me at 40k HKD/month, 33k net. Sounds not so bad right? I wouldn't be living the king life I had in Vietnam but I imagine I could still be living comfy.

That said, I have an interview today with a company in the Cayman Islands, at least that gives me leverage.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
With or without housing? You need to budget 15-20k for housing so without would be very bad.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Senso posted:

Finally got a final offer about HK, they are ready to give me a $1K CAD/month raise. That would put me at 40k HKD/month, 33k net. Sounds not so bad right? I wouldn't be living the king life I had in Vietnam but I imagine I could still be living comfy.

That said, I have an interview today with a company in the Cayman Islands, at least that gives me leverage.

33k net is a very decent salary.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
33k is very comfortable in Hong Kong if you are wise.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Tibet!
Xinjiang!
Taiwan!
Hongkong!
Diaoyu!

By your regions that have always belonged to China combined, I am Captain 中国的

He would get stronger by being racist against Japan and Korea or by being super nationalistic, and he'd get weaker if people waited in lines or poo poo in toilets etc.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Given its history I'm surprised there isn't as much interest in claiming Mongolia. If you asked me a hundred years ago if either Tibet or Mongolia would become an independent country I would have probably guessed Tibet. Given its proximity to the capital (I think it was around a ten hour bus ride when I made a border run) and a total population only one-seventh of Beijing's it wouldn't seem any more likely to exist as a country today compared to East Turkestan or even Manchuria (before the big Han migration in the late 19th century.) Perhaps it just wants to preserve its current chicken-shape.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Bloodnose posted:

With or without housing? You need to budget 15-20k for housing so without would be very bad.

Well that's with housing, they offer me that $7k/month raise to make me shut up about the housing allowance. I'll definitely try not to spend 20k for an apartment if I can help it - after that and child support, I'd be left with like 6k/month and that would make me poorer than I am now. Ugh.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Don't be too put off.

If you look on Squarefoot the only apartment listed in my estate is $32k but I live in something much smaller for less than $10k.

I'm not saying you could find somewhere on the island for that, but around Tseung Kwan O or Hang Hau you might find something similarly small and cheap - it just might not be listed online

simplefish fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 23, 2014

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

simplefish posted:

but around Tseung Kwan O or Hamg Hau you might find something similarly small and cheap - it just might not be listed online

Good to know, I'll be working in Tai Chik Sha (near the landfill!)

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Yeah I mentioned them because I remembered you'd be near LOHAS Park.

I don't know that you will find those rent prices there, just that you might.

What sort of size are you looking for? How many bedrooms? Studio or separate kitchen? I'll be over that direction on Sunday, I could have a quick look in some estate agent windows if you like?

simplefish fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 23, 2014

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I'd prefer not a studio, separate kitchen if possible. Just one bedroom. Anything you find out will help, if only just to get a better idea of price ranges, thanks!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Any idea of floor area in square feet?

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Is 400 sqf and up realistic? If so, that.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

kenner116 posted:

Given its history I'm surprised there isn't as much interest in claiming Mongolia. If you asked me a hundred years ago if either Tibet or Mongolia would become an independent country I would have probably guessed Tibet. Given its proximity to the capital (I think it was around a ten hour bus ride when I made a border run) and a total population only one-seventh of Beijing's it wouldn't seem any more likely to exist as a country today compared to East Turkestan or even Manchuria (before the big Han migration in the late 19th century.) Perhaps it just wants to preserve its current chicken-shape.

China did have a claim to Mongolia and fought a few small battles for it during the Republic era. The problem was that the Russians also had an interest in Mongolia and that the Qing hadn't exactly treated the Mongols very well (also having a desire for the land but not the people). When it came time to choose between the ROC warlords (whose policy toward the Mongols wasn't much different) and the Soviets, those wily horsemen leaped for the latter.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I've heard people in China talk about how maybe even Korea or Vietnam should be part of China, but never Mongolia.

In Mongolia a lot of people told me Inner Mongolia should be retaken. I think one of the Mongolian communist leaders had plans to try.

Lorebane
Mar 14, 2014

Oats, hay, fear! The power of the Tri-Horse!
And even though the PRC seems content to let Mongolia remain a sovereign state and, perhaps shockingly, isn't tied up in any border disputes with them, the ROC still claims Mongolia as an integral part of its rightful territory. So actually, yes, there are people who claim that Mongolia is part of China, it's just that these are mostly people who claim that China isn't China.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

stop scaring this fellow. I bet he can find something for under 15 on that side of town... although I'm out of touch since the TKO line got so busy.

Traveler
Sep 13, 2006
Budget around 10k~15k for housing would be fine.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

kenner116 posted:

Mongolia doesn't really have anything. Some mineral resources and two million extra poor people. Tibet has mineral resources too, but more importantly it contains the water supply for most of China and a number of neighboring countries. Even if you stripped away every other factor, China would never give it up purely because of the water.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Mongolia doesn't really have anything. Some mineral resources and two million extra poor people. Tibet has mineral resources too, but more importantly it contains the water supply for most of China and a number of neighboring countries. Even if you stripped away every other factor, China would never give it up purely because of the water.

Yeah. Tibet doesn't have the Russian Bear prowling on its far side, and anyway most of Mongolia's mineral resources are flowing right into China as it is.

Tom Smykowski posted:

In Mongolia a lot of people told me Inner Mongolia should be retaken. I think one of the Mongolian communist leaders had plans to try.

That would be beyond tragic considering that one of the two things that the PLA is really setup to do well is absolutely crush the gently caress out of any military scuffle occurring directly adjacent to China.

The other thing it's good at has a 25th anniversary coming up soon.

blinkyzero fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 24, 2014

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

I'm pretty sure when other people heard the guy's idea, they were like "Wait wait, no that's a terrible idea." I want to say this was in the 50s?

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Tom Smykowski posted:

I'm pretty sure when other people heard the guy's idea, they were like "Wait wait, no that's a terrible idea." I want to say this was in the 50s?

They can have their war with China when the KMT returns in all its glory and reaches out to recover its rightful territories.

Any day now. Could be tomorrow. :allears:

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

I tried to find an old Mongolian rap video I saw back in like 06 that was about hating and killing Chinese people, but it's lost on Youtube.

Now I'm listening to Chinese rap so I'm not sure if this is better?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I thought this was interesting.

Aljazeera posted:

China has released a Japanese cargo ship after its owners paid $28m to settle a pre-war debt, a court has said.

The Shanghai Maritime Court announced on Thursday that a large freight vessel, owned by the Tokyo-based Mitsui OSK Lines, had been released from "detention" because Mitsui had "fulfilled its obligations" by paying compensation and additional court costs of around $390,000.

It did not name the Chinese party awarded the compensation, the news agency AFP reported.

According to a statement from Mitsui, Saturday's impounding of the Baosteel Emotion was connected to two freighters that were chartered in 1936 from a Chinese shipowner by the Japanese firm Daido Kaiun.

These were commandeered by the Japanese government and subsequently lost at sea.

The Shanghai Maritime Court referred to a 2007 judgement stating that Mitsui should pay the plaintiffs about $30m for the "hire, operating loss, damage of the vessel Shun Feng and the vessel Xin Tai Ping and fruits incurred".

The seizure came amid ongoing tension between Japan and China over a dispute about islands in the East China Sea that both nations lay claim to.

The US version of Merck which is a $48b revenue 90k person company was a WWI US confiscation of German assets in the US.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

森卡哭

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I will be going back to school this August. I want to bring my Chinese wife with me (though I'm guessing she'd likely be following me a couple months later). Should I even try to do the visa application myself, or should I hire a visa agency? How much should an agency cost, and what should I look for?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You'd like the book I'm re-reading.

The Bloody White Baron
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/0571230245/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1398403503&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

True story of a violent Russian dude who raised a Mongolian army against the Bolsheviks and China. Hating on Jews and getting funded by the Japanese. If you like necklaces of human bones and armoured trains full of whores, you'd like this book.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

I will be going back to school this August. I want to bring my Chinese wife with me (though I'm guessing she'd likely be following me a couple months later). Should I even try to do the visa application myself, or should I hire a visa agency? How much should an agency cost, and what should I look for?

Everything you could possibly want to know is here: http://www.visajourney.com/

edit: By the way, the fastest route to take since you're both, presumably, over here together is direct consular filing. You better get started tonight if you wanna hit August.

Woodsy Owl fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 25, 2014

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

May I suggest emailing the consular official? It doesn't matter which one, just find a random email address and then phrase the email as if this person has all the power. You probably don't have time to figure out their name, so just address them as, "Dear Officer,"

Then you can write something like:

"Hello. As you know, I need my visuhr in order go to America. Can you please hurry up the process for me? Maybe you don't remember me, my name is Wayne. O, but forget about it, is nothing, but please sending me the visa very soon thank you."

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Wow, that really works?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

systran posted:

May I suggest emailing the consular official? It doesn't matter which one, just find a random email address and then phrase the email as if this person has all the power. You probably don't have time to figure out their name, so just address them as, "Dear Officer,"

Then you can write something like:

"Hello. As you know, I need my visuhr in order go to America. Can you please hurry up the process for me? Maybe you don't remember me, my name is Wayne. O, but forget about it, is nothing, but please sending me the visa very soon thank you."

Be sure to send some fruit in the envelope. If you don't they will know you are unfriendly. If you want to appear serious, include some cash.

We have a new chemistry teacher and she made the rounds to the foreign teacher office handing out fruit to everyone. I wanted to just tell her that she didn't need to do that for us but a) she probably would only take it as politeness and b) she's just trying to be nice.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
After two years, my dreams are now consistently set within Asia.

Dreams were my only refuge, now this inescapable waking nightmare called life haunts me in every sleeping moment.:emo:

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Hello chinagoons!

I'm interested in doing a scenic Yunan+Sichuan route in 15 days. I need help in finalizing the itinerary to get to Chengdu from Lijiang. I'm reading conflicting info about the overland route through western sichuan being closed to foreigners.

It's something like

Day 1 : Arrival at Kunming
Day 2 : Explore nearby areas, day tour to Stone Forest
Day 3 : Kunming to Dali
Day 4 : Dali to Lijiang
Day 5 : Explore around Lijiang
Day 6 : Tiger Leaping Gorge trek, take a taxi back
Day 7 to 12 : through Zhongdian ??
Day 13-15 : Chengdu

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Anarkii posted:

Hello chinagoons!

I'm interested in doing a scenic Yunan+Sichuan route in 15 days. I need help in finalizing the itinerary to get to Chengdu from Lijiang. I'm reading conflicting info about the overland route through western sichuan being closed to foreigners.

It's something like

Day 1 : Arrival at Kunming
Day 2 : Explore nearby areas, day tour to Stone Forest
Day 3 : Kunming to Dali
Day 4 : Dali to Lijiang
Day 5 : Explore around Lijiang
Day 6 : Tiger Leaping Gorge trek, take a taxi back
Day 7 to 12 : through Zhongdian ??
Day 13-15 : Chengdu

Taking the Zhongdian to Sichuan route though Xiangcheng->Daocheng/Yading>Litang->Kangding is amazing and I highly recommend it, but you don't have nearly enough time for that route. I'm guessing you've already been to Dali and Lijiang since you're hardly spending any time there, so I recommend going from Lijiang to Lugu Lake, which is on the Yunnan/Sichuan border. After Lugu, head towards Chengdu and spend a night in Yanyuan or Xichang.

I'm not sure if visiting Zhongdian is worth it now since the old town burned down, but there are Tibetan villages outside of the city to walk or bike around, and you can visit the monastery several kilometers north of the city, which is very nice.

If you really want to see the Tibetan areas of western Sichuan then you're going to need more time. The roads there are probably the worst in China and you'll be spending a lot of time on bumpy/muddy unpaved roads winding up and down the mountains. Zhongdian to Tagong (near Kangding) took me two weeks (including a detour to Batang on the Sichuan/Tibet border). From the Tagong/Kangding area you can then head back to Chengdu or go north towards Gansu or northwest to Qinghai. Northwestern Sichuan is really remote has a bit of a wild-west feeling to it.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I can't take more than ~15 days off so Lijiang-Lugu Lake-Xichang-Chengdu seems better for that.

I'd imagine Spring or Fall to be the best times to visit, however is early December workable or do routes get closed during the winter?

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Anarkii posted:

I'd imagine Spring or Fall to be the best times to visit, however is early December workable or do routes get closed during the winter?

I took the Chengdu-Xichang-Yanyuan-Lijiang-Zhongdian route in mid to late December. Lugu Lake gets down to about freezing at night, Lijiang and Tiger Leaping Gorge as well. Zhongdian was much colder, got down to -10C (14F) at night, but was comfortable during the daytime.

Lugu is quite nice at that time of year since there aren't many tourists then, so it's very peaceful. I was there in 2010 and there should be a new road between Lugu Hu and Lijiang now, but I'd guess it would still be pretty empty in the winter.

edit to add luguhu photos:

kenner116 fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 2, 2014

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Hey, China folks. You were awesome when I was preparing to head off to Hebei last fall. I had a great week hob-nobbing with a bunch of (semi) important government folks over there. One fellow was surprised and/or impressed that I enjoyed baijiu at one of the dinners, so he sent over a bottle to my hotel for myself and my one each for my two traveling partners. I shared a bit with a few buddies earlier this week who are fairly serious homebrewers. Since I knew they liked booze, I figured I may as well pop the top and give everyone a taste of a liquor they've never tried.

They asked me "what kind" it was, and I said, I have no idea. Would someone let me know what brand this is, and what it's made out of? I'm guessing sorghum, but I'm not exactly a seasoned baijiu guy, so any help would be appreciated. Is it a decent brand? Any idea what something like this would retail for in the Beijing area? It's got a glass dome in the middle, and my bottle has a glass snake it in. The lady I was traveling with made me trade with her for my horse or something since she hates snakes. It's a phone pic with my cat Omar skulking by in the background. If you need a clearer pic, and I'll break out a proper camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Tianjin Taida vs. Beijing Guoan tonight. :henget: gooooooooooo Tianjin!!!! I'll be there screaming at any Guoan supporter I can find :getin: