Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

The Army is the shortbus that drives itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

If I had to do it all over again I'd have ignored the dragon slaying commercials and went Navy. The only thing I've gotten out of the Marine Corps (other than a bad back, hearing loss, and the inability to feel emotions other than anger) is a false sense of superiority over the other services because we don't get any real funding and instead spend our recruiting advertising dollars telling kids they are REAL warriors.

I imagine the Army is similar, except for they actually get funding for training and stuff.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Hekk posted:

If I had to do it all over again I'd have ignored the dragon slaying commercials and went Navy. The only thing I've gotten out of the Marine Corps (other than a bad back, hearing loss, and the inability to feel emotions other than anger) is a false sense of superiority over the other services because we don't get any real funding and instead spend our recruiting advertising dollars telling kids they are REAL warriors.

I imagine the Army is similar, except for they actually get funding for training and stuff.

Dude stop bitching, the Marines get a poo poo ton of funding,

For the Air Wing

gently caress the 35B

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Hekk posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh God, that's rich. Training?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

But seriously, don't join the loving Army unless you're at least a noble or your name is iceslice.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Tell her to join the Army. It's the biggest service, so she'll have more friends and a larger network for when she eventually wants to transition to the civilian world. It also has the most bases, so she can be stationed in the coolest places in the world and have a greater variety of locales to live. The wars are like done so don't even worry about those! It also has more women than any other service. Finally, I've seen civilians see several folks in uniform before and have to decide which one to thank. They inevitably thank the Army Soldier after wrestling with it in their heads because most civilians realize: drat, that's a cool rear end Army Soldier who probably did a lot more work than those other ones. Good luck!

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I drove onto base this morning at 0730 drinking coffee and listening to NPR and passed like 30 army Intel types with huge backpacks and reflective belts ruck marching like 3 miles from anywhere.

Army strong.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

But seriously, don't join the loving Army unless you're at least a noble or your name is iceslice.

You get all sorts of dope high speed training in the Army. You ever practice clearing a house while shouting "BANG BANG BANG" because your unit went overbudget and couldn't afford any more blanks?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
You know, at some point you need to cut your losses.

In other words, pretty much this

Commoners posted:

Tell her that the army is where all the retards go, and if she goes to the army then clearly she is also a retard.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

The closest I've come to even firing a weapon since I qualified 18 months ago is shooting pretend bullets at EST.

Training indeed.

Edit: but we did have some bullshit cut off Bradley gunnery that a whole 2 crews got to shoot in about 9 months ago or some poo poo.

not caring here fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 22, 2014

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
After 8 months of jumping through the hoops of proving to MEPS that I'm completely healthy and that they should get the gently caress off my back, I'm clear to swear into DEP next week. Because it took so long, however, I looked into a bunch of other options and I'll now be weighing them in.

I have a question, however - I know that you can get out at any time before shipping out to boot camp, and I'm wondering just how mechanically easy/hard is that to do? I have another possible thing that I won't know about until later in May, but the recruiter wants me to swear in next week and I don't really want to blow them off just yet.

It's Air Force, by the way - in case that is relevant.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 22, 2014

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I go to MEPS tomorrow. Should I prelube or do they supply it?

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

LingcodKilla posted:

I go to MEPS tomorrow. Should I prelube or do they supply it?

Depends on whom you get, mine was a chill old guy who was really witty and gentle. I didn't even cry or anything.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

HellishWhiskers posted:

After 8 months of jumping through the hoops of proving to MEPS that I'm completely healthy and that they should get the gently caress off my back, I'm clear to swear into DEP next week. Because it took so long, however, I looked into a bunch of other options and I'll now be weighing them in.

I have a question, however - I know that you can get out at any time before shipping out to boot camp, and I'm wondering just how mechanically easy/hard is that to do? I have another possible thing that I won't know about until later in May, but the recruiter wants me to swear in next week and I don't really want to blow them off just yet.

It's Air Force, by the way - in case that is relevant.

I was a recruiter and am probably going to go against the prevailing opinion here so keep that in mind as you read this.

Don't DEP unless you are sure this is what you want to do. While getting out once you DEP is as easy as stopping all contact with your recruiter and/or flat out refusing to ship, you are wasting time and money if you gently caress around doing this. Also, for the time you are in the DEP you are taking up a space that could be used by some other poor schmuck who needs to make bad life choices.

The military isn't going anywhere and if you back out now and the thing doesn't work out in May, you can still try to join again. The recruiter might act pissed off but, provided you are qualified, they will take you back again.

You gently caress over other people trying to join by refusing to ship. Here's why: when you tell your recruiter you don't want to do this anymore, he isn't going to immediately call his bosses to let then know the bad news. Instead he will sit on the info in the off chance you change your mind or he can somehow convince you this is a good idea. Also he is going to get yelled at and no one likes that. So come time for you to ship, you won't show up and the recruiter will call his headquarters and tell them he can't find you. That's going to get some other applicant a phone call telling them they have to leave in the next day or two because someone else washed out and the space has to be filled.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

goodness posted:

She is deathly afraid of boats and the ocean I guess.

Doing everything I can to prevent her from joining the army.

go army, 18x

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Hekk posted:

I was a recruiter and am probably going to go against the prevailing opinion here so keep that in mind as you read this.

Don't DEP unless you are sure this is what you want to do. While getting out once you DEP is as easy as stopping all contact with your recruiter and/or flat out refusing to ship, you are wasting time and money if you gently caress around doing this. Also, for the time you are in the DEP you are taking up a space that could be used by some other poor schmuck who needs to make bad life choices.

The military isn't going anywhere and if you back out now and the thing doesn't work out in May, you can still try to join again. The recruiter might act pissed off but, provided you are qualified, they will take you back again.

You gently caress over other people trying to join by refusing to ship. Here's why: when you tell your recruiter you don't want to do this anymore, he isn't going to immediately call his bosses to let then know the bad news. Instead he will sit on the info in the off chance you change your mind or he can somehow convince you this is a good idea. Also he is going to get yelled at and no one likes that. So come time for you to ship, you won't show up and the recruiter will call his headquarters and tell them he can't find you. That's going to get some other applicant a phone call telling them they have to leave in the next day or two because someone else washed out and the space has to be filled.

so basically you inconvenience a recruiter if you don't ship, and someone gets the option to ship earlier that they may want/need?

win/win

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

krispykremessuck posted:

so basically you inconvenience a recruiter if you don't ship, and someone gets the option to ship earlier that they may want/need?

win/win

Except for the part about some kid who thought he had another 2 months at home now has to settle his affairs in a day or two and ship out early.

It's not the end of the world either way, but as a general rule of thumb I try not to be a total douchebag if I can avoid it.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Hekk posted:

I try not to be a total douchebag if I can avoid it.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

If I can avoid it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Dude stop bitching, the Marines get a poo poo ton of funding,

For the Air Wing

gently caress the 35B

So much broken and dated gear and weapons. So many ospreys and money into new jets. I think ch-53s are just fine :shrug:

I thought the whole thing with the Marine Corps using old Army gear was a joke until I saw "Property of U.S. Army" on some binoculars.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Try being in an infantry platoon that was effectively the bastard stepchild of a tank battalion.

Oh, we have 60k rounds we need to use up before fiscal? Here you go guys, have fun..

Oh, you guys need this training package for your deployment workup? Here, we'll attach you to this unit at the last minute and they won't slot you in any training, but hey! You got your names on the roster!

None of your missile systems work? We'll get you Saber's! (Three years pass with no new systems) Why haven't you guys done more than one shoot per year? You're not meeting your quota for missile expenditures.

Funding my rear end.

I'd do it again though, as hosed up as that may seem.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

LCL-Dead posted:

Try being in an infantry platoon that was effectively the bastard stepchild of a tank battalion.

Oh, we have 60k rounds we need to use up before fiscal? Here you go guys, have fun..

Oh, you guys need this training package for your deployment workup? Here, we'll attach you to this unit at the last minute and they won't slot you in any training, but hey! You got your names on the roster!

None of your missile systems work? We'll get you Saber's! (Three years pass with no new systems) Why haven't you guys done more than one shoot per year? You're not meeting your quota for missile expenditures.

Funding my rear end.

I'd do it again though, as hosed up as that may seem.

Why?

Don't mean to sound mean, just curious.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Pandasmores posted:

Why?

Don't mean to sound mean, just curious.

Why would I do it again?

I loved it. Every minute of it. Even if on the outside I appeared to hate it I look back on that 6 years of my life and wish I could go back, start over, do it all again. I never would have gotten out if the choice had been mine but an IED pretty much ruined my ability to run and the Marine Corps isn't overly fond of broken Marines.

I loved the brotherhood, the friends I made, even the enemies. Most of all I guess I loved my job. I could probably come up with a plethora of reasons but those are the most basic ones needed.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
Are you Cole?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

I am Hal

E: I am a meat popsicle.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Well sitting in the defense and doing patrol bases yelling bang bang is always fun free training!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Christoff posted:

Well sitting in the defense and doing patrol bases yelling bang bang is always fun free training!

You could always use blanks. So much training value to be had in hearing a slight pop followed by four hours of weapons cleaning.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

Who can afford blanks in this day and age

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
gently caress, we're lucky to be able to scrounge them up for funeral details.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Well I passed my physical with one exception. I got 20/20 vision in both eyes with normal color vision and depth perception but since I got LASIK (in 2005) didn't bother to keep records) they want their own doctor to inspect my eyes. Easy enough.

The guy in charge of financial waivers drove me loving nuts with his badgering on how much money my wife, a homemaker raising twins, brings to the table. He wouldn't tell me how much he wanted to see in my savings until he finally slipped up and said three times my monthly bills. Was that so hard? My mother in law had pledged her support in a waiver but worded it "whatever she needs" instead of numbered amount so that bounced back too. Once again he wouldn't straight up tell me what he wants to the differential to be so I had to play the guessing game until he said that was good enough. What the hell... So now I need rewritten statement from my mother in law pledging a 2k a month allowance while I'm at boot.

Called up my mother in law to tell her about the rewrite. No problem on her part and she's wiring 20k to our account to sit their and be used until I get back and so I can get a statement showing more savings. Thanks mom.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
What the gently caress? I had like 15k in debt and didn't need a waiver, or a letter, or anything.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Godholio posted:

What the gently caress? I had like 15k in debt and didn't need a waiver, or a letter, or anything.

Beats me, people told me similar stuff about debt going in but this guy insists I prove I'm not a deadbeat dad running out on his family like the last mythical guy he swore had his waiver rejected for a similar reason and amount of dependents.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

LingcodKilla posted:

Beats me, people told me similar stuff about debt going in but this guy insists I prove I'm not a deadbeat dad running out on his family like the last mythical guy he swore had his waiver rejected for a similar reason and amount of dependents.

My how the times have changed. I had dudes in line with me for the MEPS physical furiously chugging water and 'system cleansers' that are probably still in the Army somewhere making some underlings lives miserable. I KNOW dudes came in with ri-loving-diculos debts they were running from too.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
e: Wrong thread.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
poo poo.. I had cocaine, weed and weight waivers.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

I'm 23 coming out of college with an Economics BS (~3.5gpa but it's a SUNY) in May and after listening to a bunch of graduates talk about what they've done with their life and really thinking about it I've decided I want pretty much no part of that poo poo (banking, money management firms, accounting). I've always had somewhat of an interest in joining the Air Force and am just now starting to look more into OTS. I see on the site that they specifically mention having a rod/pin as possibly disqualifying and I'm just wondering how big a deal this is. I am otherwise physically fit and besides some knee pain the IM rod in my tibia hasn't really caused me much trouble.

Air Force would definitely be my top choice but I understand it's very competitive and I have almost no experience in anything job-related that would stand out so I'm definitely considering the Navy as well. I have no misconception that the military is going to offer me some dream job that I'm going to love but I do want something to actually do after college. I'm also at least somewhat interested in getting a federal job eventually so I know the military background would look good there.

Finally, my financial status is pretty decent right now so I was also considering joining the reserves just to supplement my income while searching around the job market for something I really find an interest in. How competitive are reserve officer programs compared to active duty? For this I would consider pretty much any branch I guess. Could this possibly be a better path for me than OTS/OCS?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Reserves are at least as competitive, because someone has to vacate the position for it to open up. The rod/pin probably requires a waiver, which is almost certainly going to be denied because there are 500 applicants for the same job who don't need it and have the same GPA or better.

I'm not saying don't try...I'm saying don't put your home on craigslist and get an AF tattoo just yet.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Enlist in the marine corpse

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Go to Top Gun, nerd.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I'm high as poo poo. I drink all the time. I have no job, don't shave and I sit on my rear end all day and get fat. I'm living the dream.

Enlist in the army and you could have this one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mud Shark
May 12, 2012
Air Force enlistment question here.

I'm 27, life has force fed me a poo poo sandwich and I really need to push the reset button. Owned a business in which I got brutally hosed by my business partners and there's really nothing I can do about it. No degree, just outdated IT certs. Worked as a network engineer for 7 years. I have a wife and kid and they are completely fine with me enlisting. My desire to serve is there - almost enlisted in the Marines out of high school but I had a very nice job offer pop up that was too good to turn down.

I have not gone to MEPS for the first time yet but I should have that scheduled when I see the recruiter again tomorrow. I took the practice ASVAB at the recruiter office, scored well enough to qualify for any job.

Now, the problem is that the cutoff for shipping to BMT is your 28th birthday, which comes up in February for me. I'd really like to do what I'm good at and snag myself one of the 3D cyber jobs, but my recruiter keeps telling me that due to the short amount of time that I'll be eligible that I need to consider other options. I have my list of 10 jobs ready to roll, and they include a few 3D cyber jobs, Medical jobs, Paralegal and Air Traffic Control. He of course is trying to get me into Security Forces, EOD and linguist. I'm sure those jobs are just fine for a lot of people, but with my wife and kid at home I'm not super excited about intentionally putting myself near explosives that were designed to kill me.

Is the recruiter just trying to force me into lovely jobs? Or are those fields overmanned right now to the point where I might not be able to get to BMT in time unless I take something less appealing? I'm not completely opposed to going in a different direction, I just want to try and minimize my chances of hating life as soon as I'm out of tech school.

• Locked thread