Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MothraAttack posted:

Yeah, I think ISIS only accepts nasheeds and that Deso Dogg gave up the musical game entirely. Unfortunately for us, their propaganda is thus deprived of MIDI-scored gems such as those found here.

I wish i knew more Arabic because i'd love to have a big rear end playlist of Arabic war songs. They have such a great beat and the singing (that's nasheed right?) is so sick.

It's the perfect workout music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Muscle Tracer posted:

Actually, we're discussing Assad's use of chemical weapons. Discussion of other entities' uses of white phosphorus are tangential at best, and deflection and Assad apologia at worst.

This thread is larger than Assad's use of chemical weapons and it always has been, and if you want to accuse me of being an Assad apologist then you better some proof other than bringing up a topic you don't like. Btw, it isn't the first time in this thread someone has used the critique "Assad apologist" in a ham-fisted manner.

Btw, and no, I don't "like" the Assad regime and I know they have murdered civilians in many different ways including chemical weapons.

However, if you are going to talk about the morality of the actions of the regime then you better be prepared for some contrasting examples and their responses. Otherwise, if the only issue at this point is the question is whether he used them or not, then it has been solved (at least as far as this thread is concerned and rightfully so).

As far as Hersh and co, they picked a very poor hill to fight on and he personally put his reputation on the line for a very weak argument. On the flip-side, Brown Moses picked a very strong one.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ardennes posted:

This thread is larger than Assad's use of chemical weapons and it always has been, and if you want to accuse me of being an Assad apologist then you better some proof other than bringing up a topic you don't like. Btw, it isn't the first time in this thread someone has used the critique "Assad apologist" in a ham-fisted manner.

Btw, and no, I don't "like" the Assad regime and I know they have murdered civilians in many different ways including chemical weapons.

However, if you are going to talk about the morality of the actions of the regime then you better be prepared for some contrasting examples and their responses. Otherwise, if the only issue at this point is the question is whether he used them or not, then it has been solved (at least as far as this thread is concerned and rightfully so).

As far as Hersh and co, they picked a very poor hill to fight on and he personally put his reputation on the line for a very weak argument. On the flip-side, Brown Moses picked a very strong one.

I don't think that Assad apologia comment was directed at you, but instead, at posters like BabyChoom who keep trying to draw an equivalency argument between the US and Syrian governments in their conduct of war.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Ardennes posted:

Perhaps your argument would be better served by actually constructing an argument, rather than getting angry about what you're not saying. So far you have said that white phosphorus can burn things, and also it is bad, and that you don't like Assad. Are you actually attempting to make a point, and if so, perhaps you would consider making it, btw? I have yet to see any connection drawn between Assad's murder of civilians and other entities' use of WP other than "but other people also did bad things."

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Muscle Tracer posted:

Perhaps your argument would be better served by actually constructing an argument, rather than getting angry about what you're not saying. So far you have said that white phosphorus can burn things, and also it is bad, and that you don't like Assad. Are you actually attempting to make a point, and if so, perhaps you would consider making it, btw? I have yet to see any connection drawn between Assad's murder of civilians and other entities' use of WP other than "but other people also did bad things."

I guess you have switched tactics, now it is okay to talk about the issue.

Anyway, the point is actually an open question about where do go from here. We know Assad used these weapons and many civilians died, there is the honest question still of what should be done. The issue of WP meant to purposefully provide a recent contrasting example, specifically where is the line drawn on chemical versus other unconventional weapons and why? How important are numbers killed and how important is if the target was purposefully civilian or civilians were simply collateral damage?

I use word contrasting because I don't think the use of WP in Fallujah was as serious simply in terms of numbers killed, but on the other hand I believe it still serious, and something that does need to be addressed.

Granted, there is also the larger issue of moving on from the topic of the use chemical weapons themselves and moving to the larger question of what its use actually means. Obviously, there are others outside this thread that have their interpretation of that use but it is unclear if that is actually that important at this point or if their arguements should be the main topic of discussion.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 23, 2014

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hamas and Fatah have apparently reconciled.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009
Sisi will get his Apaches, at last.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

McDowell posted:

Prepare for Israel to try and scupper that with a sudden wave of assassinations and provocations, then...

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Speaking of Israel, some kids in south Lebanon accidentally blew themselves and a house up a few days ago carrying one back home. I know you can never really be sure an area is completely un-mined but it still depresses me that it's so prevalent over here.
Are there any international laws on mine usage? Not that'd it matter but I'm interested and all I could find were regional ones.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
I'm reading from Presstv and Dailystar.lb it was a naval mine in their backyard in the northernmost district. If that's the case I think they don't come with the same issues as with ground based mines as long as they're not put on shipping lanes.

Also I thought those things weighed hundreds of pounds.

Lead Psychiatry fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 23, 2014

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Lead Psychiatry posted:

I'm reading from Presstv and Dailystar.lb it was a naval mine in their backyard. If that's the case I think they don't come with the same issues as with ground based mines as long as they're not put on shipping lanes.

Also I thought those things weighed hundreds of pounds.

I remember some reports from 6-9 months ago (?) of naval mines being dropped on land. Baffling then, baffling now.

e: found one.

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 23, 2014

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

HGH posted:

Are there any international laws on mine usage? Not that'd it matter but I'm interested and all I could find were regional ones.

There's a treaty, but neither Israel or Lebanon has signed it (or the US, Russia, or China, for that matter).

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

McDowell posted:

This didn't really go anywhere a few years ago, I guess we'll give it another try. Sure would shake up regional politics if it succeeded.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Count Roland posted:

This didn't really go anywhere a few years ago, I guess we'll give it another try. Sure would shake up regional politics if it succeeded.

I've been reading that this is a response to the breakdown of talks with Israel, Netanyahu or somebody in the Israeli government throwing down the gauntlet and declaring that Abbas can either make peace with Israel or Hamas. Seeing as how Israel doesn't seem all that interested it's not surprising they went for the latter.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

He's learned his lesson! Let's give him some presents.:3:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

illrepute posted:

I've been reading that this is a response to the breakdown of talks with Israel, Netanyahu or somebody in the Israeli government throwing down the gauntlet and declaring that Abbas can either make peace with Israel or Hamas. Seeing as how Israel doesn't seem all that interested it's not surprising they went for the latter.

The PLO and Hamas are at loggerheads.

Israel: "There's no point negotiating, because There's no unified Palestinian authority to deal with!"

The PLO and Hamas reconcile.

Israel: "We cannot negotiate with a Palestinian authority that includes Hamas!"

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Umiapik posted:

The PLO and Hamas are at loggerheads.

Israel: "There's no point negotiating, because There's no unified Palestinian authority to deal with!"

The PLO and Hamas reconcile.

Israel: "We cannot negotiate with a Palestinian authority that includes Hamas!"

Exactly! I was surprised to read Israel's critique of this move, although maybe I shouldn't be. They could at least pretend like they care if it helps moderate Hamas.

But they want Hamas to dissolve completely then PLO takes over the strip, I guess. It does make Israel confront their hypocrisy on the unified negotiating front bit.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Mans posted:

I wish i knew more Arabic because i'd love to have a big rear end playlist of Arabic war songs. They have such a great beat and the singing (that's nasheed right?) is so sick.

It's the perfect workout music.

Nasheed is actually just acapella chanting, like that used in this video of a drive-by attack (ignore the title -- they're attacking a checkpoint). The song in the other link is a Syrianized and repurposed version of a 1980s Iraqi patriotic song. Nasheeds can be strangely catchy.

BabyChoom
Jan 7, 2014

by XyloJW

Muscle Tracer posted:

Is your point that to condemn Assad we must be on a moral high ground and the only way to do that is to ignore everything we have ever done in the past? I asked a simple question about white phosphorus and "nonlethal" lethal agents that both America and Israel have used against civilians in massacres in the middle east in the middle east thread. Would you care to answer it or just attack people.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

BabyChoom posted:

Is your point that to condemn Assad we must be on a moral high ground and the only way to do that is to ignore everything we have ever done in the past? I asked a simple question about white phosphorus and "nonlethal" lethal agents that both America and Israel have used against civilians in massacres in the middle east in the middle east thread. Would you care to answer it or just attack people.

You didn't really ask a coherent question at all. You asked why Assad doesn't used white phosphorus -- he does. You asked why he doesn't try to act like the chlorine attacks have legitimate military applications? To answer that we'd have to know what he's thinking with regards to his war propaganda and then we'd just be stipulating. I can tell you exactly why the US and Israel spend a lot of effort to whitewash their use of WP.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Half the poo poo the Assad regime has done has little or no military justification, from recklessly shelling Baba Amr to using improvised barrel bombs. I remember when reports of those first surfaced in late 2012, and Assad fanboys claimed it was an opposition fairy tale until videos emerged. This line of criticism also extends to rebel tactics, like the siege of West Aleppo or use of car bombings. Most of us here, American or not, have brains enough to realize that all sides are capable of bad stuff.

enbot
Jun 7, 2013

MothraAttack posted:

Half the poo poo the Assad regime has done has little or no military justification, from recklessly shelling Baba Amr to using improvised barrel bombs.

That's true, but nothing he has done is really any "worse" than what was done in Iraq, hence why people are pointing out that the US has basically no moral ground to sit on.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

enbot posted:

That's true, but nothing he has done is really any "worse" than what was done in Iraq, hence why people are pointing out that the US has basically no moral ground to sit on.

Just for example, Abu Ghraib was bad but that doesn't make it equivalent to the mass execution of thousands of prisoners.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

BabyChoom posted:

No, my stance is the opposite. You must be projecting your own opinions again:

BabyChoom posted:

It must say something that even the US government admits that the rebels are using child soldiers as suicide bombers. Seeing as how the USA is one of the primary backers of the rebels.

As for the answer to your question, it was answered immediately.

BabyChoom
Jan 7, 2014

by XyloJW

Muscle Tracer posted:

No, my stance is the opposite. You must be projecting your own opinions again:
what?

quote:

As for the answer to your question, it was answered immediately.
Huh? Yes, the rebels are using child soldiers. Do you deny that? Do you deny that the US is supporting the rebels and that president Obama has as official policy for several years of the ouster of Assad?

I don't even know what you are talking about right now.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

enbot posted:

Well, I'm glad no one in here is speaking on behalf of the US? Babychoom seems to think people are, or something.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Would anyone be interested in an Iraq elections thread? I'm going to be doing a write up on it this weekend and figured I could start a thread while I'm at it since I'll be watching them until a government is formed (hopefully it's less than the projected 18-24 months). Or I can just drop posts in here, I'm fine with either.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Bait and Swatch posted:

Would anyone be interested in an Iraq elections thread? I'm going to be doing a write up on it this weekend and figured I could start a thread while I'm at it since I'll be watching them until a government is formed (hopefully it's less than the projected 18-24 months). Or I can just drop posts in here, I'm fine with either.

I think that would be fantastic. This thread is always too cluttered with discussion about whatever attack happened most recently for election talk.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Deteriorata posted:

That makes TNT a chemical weapon, too. Definitions matter.

Chemical weapons are those that are intended to kill by their internal toxicity. This includes Sarin and chlorine, but not white phosphorus.

White Phosphorus is an incendiary weapon. Calling it a chemical weapon is deliberately misleading, purely for the enhanced emotional effect.

Of course, my bad. The point I was trying poorly to make is that WP and Chlorine are both considered chemical weapons by the definition in the relevant conventions, which wiki tells me is a device "that uses chemicals formulated to inflict death or harm on human beings."

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Guys, BabyChoom is clearly Assad in disguise, or mentally ill. I don't know why you keep arguing with him. Nothing he posts makes sense outside of his head.

BabyChoom
Jan 7, 2014

by XyloJW
I was just asking why Assad isn't using white phosphorus which was extensively used in Iraq to force entrenched forces out into the open so that they could be mowed down by US machine guns. This was known as shake and bake and their is an excellent documentary about it from people who participated in the obliteration of the city of Fallujah.

White phosphorus was also used by Israelis in an election related massacre in the Gaza strip. Setting fire to civilian areas as well as burning alive little girls in UN schools.

The US and Israel have both used chemical agents that they claim are "non-lethal in their various war zones and military occupations. Has Assad used those same chemical agents to dislodge entrenched militants out into the open so that his forces can easily mow them down as well?

Both the US and Israel have used cancer causing heavy metals like depleted Uranium and tungsten flechette. Which have shown to have long lasting negative consequences to civilian populations. Has Assad used any of these weapons or is it to costly and complex to create these cancer causing munitions?

All I'm asking is why isn't it reported that Assad isn't using WP, the various carcinogenic heavy metals that pollute entire regions with cancer causing particles, and "non lethal" lethal chemical agents.

It isn't really a debate when people just out and out accuse me of being a shill, mentally ill, and an Assad supporter.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Actually I don't know if he has or hasn't used WP in an offensive sense, he probably hasn't used depleted uranium though. Nevertheless, he has used gas based chemical weapons against civilian areas which the US nor Israel has done.

Also, I do think Assad's attacks are more serious simply based on numbers, which are at least several thousand dead and maimed at this point. It doesn't mean a comparison or a discussion is meaningless but there needs to be a consensus on the lethality and culpability of the gas attacks.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

'I was just asking why Assad isn't using white phosphorus...' and then the eyes go glassy and we get a short rant about US 'obliteration' and Israeli 'massacre' and then they go back to normal for a moment for 'All I'm asking is why it isn't reported that Assad is using WP' and then the twitch and the voice develops a sort of monotone drone for 'pollute entire regions' and '"non-lethal" lethal', then we're back to normality for a coda wondering why on earth people think there's something odd about my posts??? I'm just asking questions.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

BabyChoom posted:

I was just asking why Assad isn't using white phosphorus which was extensively used in Iraq to force entrenched forces out into the open so that they could be mowed down by US machine guns. This was known as shake and bake and their is an excellent documentary about it from people who participated in the obliteration of the city of Fallujah.

White phosphorus was also used by Israelis in an election related massacre in the Gaza strip. Setting fire to civilian areas as well as burning alive little girls in UN schools.

The US and Israel have both used chemical agents that they claim are "non-lethal in their various war zones and military occupations. Has Assad used those same chemical agents to dislodge entrenched militants out into the open so that his forces can easily mow them down as well?

Both the US and Israel have used cancer causing heavy metals like depleted Uranium and tungsten flechette. Which have shown to have long lasting negative consequences to civilian populations. Has Assad used any of these weapons or is it to costly and complex to create these cancer causing munitions?

All I'm asking is why isn't it reported that Assad isn't using WP, the various carcinogenic heavy metals that pollute entire regions with cancer causing particles, and "non lethal" lethal chemical agents.

It isn't really a debate when people just out and out accuse me of being a shill, mentally ill, and an Assad supporter.

A war crime is a war crime. I don't think I've seen any evidence that Assad used WP.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
I'm not sure about WP, but they've used other incendiary weapons.

http://m.hrw.org/news/2012/12/12/syria-incendiary-weapons-used-populated-areas

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

A war crime is a war crime. I don't think I've seen any evidence that Assad used WP.

Some of the incendiary bombs used have WP in them, and there's been some use if WP artillery shells by both sides.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Just because the US did a thing doesn't mean that it is now open season for everyone to do that thing.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Requesting a ban for myself next time I feed the trolls ITT. My shame knows no bounds.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
The LA Times is running an article stating that about 90% of Assad's declared stockpiles of CW have been removed from Syria. Do you suppose this has something to do with the switch from Sarin to Chlorine gas in barrel bombs dropped by aircraft in the recent reports? Has the United Nations made a commitment to reducing chlorine stockpiles under the agreement as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

BabyChoom posted:

loving lol people are actually responding to you, congratulations you've won.

• Locked thread