Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Deadpool posted:

No, season two was where they shot a few episodes on video. As far as I know everything in season four was done on 35mm.

Oh, I always thought it was the fourth season since it's the only structurally weird one and I couldn't tell by picture quality since I always watch it via the DVD set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

And you're forgetting your anti-psychotics
You don't do great with jokes, huh?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

BigRed0427 posted:

Seriously, who thought Trip Tank was a good idea? People who REALLY wanted to make Aqua Teen Hunger Force again?

The same people that allowed Brickleberry to be on the air, most likely.

It just makes me wish that Liquid Television was still on, that had some crazy experimental poo poo back in the 90s. I guess anyone that would make something for that would just put it on Youtube these days though, but I'd still settle for another new season of Beavis & Butt-Head.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

You don't do great with jokes, huh?

No, I'm an retard who can't tell the difference between a contrarian with bad opinions and a humorful jokester.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Lycus posted:

Knowing the Forest Whitaker version better than the classic series is a bit odd for any age. The new series was on and off the TV within a year, while the classic series is constantly being marathoned. Not saying it's impossible, but it's odd.

The Forest Whitaker version actually did bounce around in syndication for a long time despite being a single season UPN show. Partially because that one season pumped out 44 episodes.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

hcreight posted:

The Forest Whitaker version actually did bounce around in syndication for a long time despite being a single season UPN show. Partially because that one season pumped out 44 episodes.

The only one I remember is the remake of The Monsters come to Maple Street The Alien invasion is replaced with the US Military conducting an experiment

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BigRed0427 posted:

The only one I remember is the remake of The Monsters come to Maple Street The Alien invasion is replaced with the US Military conducting an experiment

I remember quite a few. I enjoyed the series, but I then I love most anthology series and like every one of them it has good and bad episodes. That kind of comes with the territory when you're making an anthology series.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

raditts posted:

It just makes me wish that Liquid Television was still on, that had some crazy experimental poo poo back in the 90s. I guess anyone that would make something for that would just put it on Youtube these days though, but I'd still settle for another new season of Beavis & Butt-Head.

This feels like the closest modern-day analogue to Liquid Television: http://video.adultswim.com/off-the-air/index.html

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I miss anthology series. I suppose they've been replaced by the American Horror Story/True Detective model of miniseries, which is a nice both-of-both-worlds scenario, though not really the same as either.

I also miss shows that would switch up genres on a week-by-week basis. Early seasons of Lost were really good at it, thanks to the flashbacks, and Sliders did as good as a job that they could with their budget and actors, but the show that did the best job with genreswaps was Quantum Leap.

Though it's a bit of a monkey's paw scenario, I truly wish that someone would reboot/relaunch Quantum Leap.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

bull3964 posted:

Technically...

Aqua Teen Hunger Force ended in 2010 to be replaced by Aqua Unit Patrol Squad 1 which was then replaced by Aqua Something You Know Whatever followed by Aqua TV Show Show.

For a brief time between seasons when it wasn't showing new episodes, it was called Aqua Tivo Avoidance Plan.

The show will likely (and hopefully) never end. It's the epitome of Adult Swim's irreverence.

Those crazy bastards. Now I have a few more titles to add to my DVR list, thanks. Aqua Teen makes great background TV.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ravane is a troll, guys. He has been posting troll stuff for weeks at least but you don't notice it's the same guy because stupid newbie avatar. Please stop replying to his posts, the amount of people who genuinely believe someone on here doesn't know Alfred Hitchcock has me facepalming so severely.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

HorseRenoir posted:

This feels like the closest modern-day analogue to Liquid Television: http://video.adultswim.com/off-the-air/index.html

Some of that reminds me of Paper Rad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIRBbyvoigg

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

BigRed0427 posted:

Also if we are talking old shows. If you were a kid in the 90s watching Nickelodeon, Did you also stay up to watch Nick At Night? Stuff like I love Lucy, Happy Days, Lavern and Shirley, The Monkeys, Gilligan's Island. Old shows like that.

I used to sneak out of bed at night to watch Happy Days and Cheers with my dad.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

raditts posted:

Give CC some slack. With their track record lately I'll take a Triptank every now and then if it leads to more Broad City's, Reviews and Nathan For Yous being greenlit. They can't all be winners.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Bown posted:

Ravane is a troll, guys. He has been posting troll stuff for weeks at least but you don't notice it's the same guy because stupid newbie avatar. Please stop replying to his posts, the amount of people who genuinely believe someone on here doesn't know Alfred Hitchcock has me facepalming so severely.

A troll because of Alfred Hitchcock? His last movie was in the 1960's. I have never watched a movie made before the 1990's (except for Monty Python and the Holy Grail). I have said some crazy, impossible to believe stuff on these forums, but being called a troll because I didn't watch the movies of some guy who died ten years after my parents were born? Shame on you. :colbert:

Ravane fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 24, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bown posted:

Yeah, didn't think so. I was also pretty sure I saw some poo poo associated with that username in the past and...

Ravane posted:

I was wondering what was wrong. Apparently it wasn't Hank from Breaking Bad that appeared in The Shield. It was the guy that played The Rock in the Fantastic Four.

Yep.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

MrAristocrates posted:

Yeah, didn't think so. I was also pretty sure I saw some poo poo associated with that username in the past and...

Yep.

In my defense, they're both semifat white guys who played cops. It's an easy mistake.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

HorseRenoir posted:

I think I saw that once after falling asleep with Cartoon Network on and waking up in the middle of the night. It was the most bewildering thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bown posted:

Ah ha! I have made them have a discussion on great television!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He asked literally the stupidest questions I've ever seen in the Arrow thread so he's either a troll or a complete moron.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

zoux posted:

He asked literally the stupidest questions I've ever seen in the Arrow thread so he's either a troll or a complete moron.

Or simply rather young? Everyone has to start somewhere.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Decius posted:

Or simply rather young? Everyone has to start somewhere.

He didn't know that Slade Wilson was Deathstroke. I mean, if he was eight years old I'd understand but at 22?

WE DO NOT GIVE PEOPLE THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT ON THE INTERNET MATE.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

USA should reboot The Big Easy and Silk Stalkings.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

USA should reboot The Big Easy and Silk Stalkings.

Or La Femme Nikita.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My Two Dads.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Crisis continues to be really loving fun. Not Scandal "OMFG DID THAT REALLY JUST HAPPEN" fun; more like "I used to watch shows like this in a movie theater with a mouth full of popcorn and a big rear end smile on my face." The dialogue ranges from workmanlike to tin-eared (it certainly doesn't have the flourish of Rand Ravich's previous show, Life), and the plot -- which it must be noted has about as much brain to it as your average late 90s Jerry Bruckheimer movie -- moves only as fast as it needs to. But it is FUN to watch Dermot Mulroney play antihero, it's satisfying to see protagonists who aren't complete idiots (or working for them), and it's oh-so-cool to watch these interesting motivations come to light and these strange alliances to be formed as a result.

Guys, if you haven't jumped on this yet, just eat the three bucks and watch the first episode (or get it however you get it). It gets better as it goes along, but you'll know from the first episode whether or not this is your jam. My only worry at this point is that it doesn't wrap up clean, because I'll be shocked if this gets a second season.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ravane posted:

A troll because of Alfred Hitchcock? His last movie was in the 1960's. I have never watched a movie made before the 1990's (except for Monty Python and the Holy Grail). I have said some crazy, impossible to believe stuff on these forums, but being called a troll because I didn't watch the movies of some guy who died ten years after my parents were born? Shame on you. :colbert:

Yes but he is a cultural icon. He maybe dead but he is still referenced to this very day.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

My Two Dads.

No joke, I have the My Two Dads theme song bookmarked because it is like the perfect storm of bad 80s sitcom cliches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHXeo57xj3k

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

No joke, I have the My Two Dads theme song bookmarked because it is like the perfect storm of bad 80s sitcom cliches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHXeo57xj3k

That sax is filthy!!!

Also that loving car easy chair

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Someone should remake ALF.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

She was my first crush when I was a wee lad. Then came Winnie Cooper.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
There are times I believe the 80s television schedule was just a malaria induced hallucination...

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I'd say Ravane is a troll, but he's around my age, and our age group (like any) has a lot of people who live under a rock.

He gets points for being aware of the current use of ratchet though.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

zoux posted:

He didn't know that Slade Wilson was Deathstroke. I mean, if he was eight years old I'd understand but at 22?

WE DO NOT GIVE PEOPLE THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT ON THE INTERNET MATE.

Okay, this isn't really fair. They introduced Billy Wintergreen as Deathstroke and that imprinted in my mind as I kept watching.

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes but he is a cultural icon. He maybe dead but he is still referenced to this very day.

Until the goon squad, I had actually never heard anyone mention Alfred Hitchcock. Ever. In fact, my only exposure to the name "Hitchcock" was that movie with Will Smith.

The only movie I've ever heard of, in his discography, is Psycho. I'd argue that Ridley Scott and J. J. Abrams are more modern and famous cultural icons for this generation, than Alfred Hitchcock is currently, though he seems to have had a large impact on previous generations. And as I said earlier, my parents were immigrants, and I grew up in a china-town type neighborhood, so the exposure I had to classic american culture was limited. I didn't grow up reading comic books, I never watched Mad Max or Pump Fiction.

I don't mean to say that Alfred Hitchcock isn't important; he's said to have significantly changed the thriller genre. And I think he may have held a significant influence in directors featured more prominently in history, such as Stanley Kubrick, whose name and whose movies I have assuredly heard of, though not watched.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ravane posted:

Okay, this isn't really fair. They introduced Billy Wintergreen as Deathstroke and that imprinted in my mind as I kept watching.

Until the goon squad, I had actually never heard anyone mention Alfred Hitchcock. Ever. In fact, my only exposure to the name "Hitchcock" was that movie with Will Smith.

The only movie I've ever heard of, in his discography, is Psycho. I'd argue that Ridley Scott and J. J. Abrams are more modern and famous cultural icons for this generation, than Alfred Hitchcock is currently, though he seems to have had a large impact on previous generations. And as I said earlier, my parents were immigrants, and I grew up in a china-town type neighborhood, so the exposure I had to classic american culture was limited. I didn't grow up reading comic books, I never watched Mad Max or Pump Fiction.

I don't mean to say that Alfred Hitchcock isn't important; he's said to have significantly changed the thriller genre. And I think he may have held a significant influence in directors featured more prominently in history, such as Stanley Kubrick, whose name and whose movies I have assuredly heard of, though not watched.

Some of his shots and methods have been referenced in shows such as the Simpsons and Family Guy. Also more people have heard of Hitchcok then Stanley Kubrick

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ravane posted:

Psycho motherfucker.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

bobkatt013 posted:

Some of his shots and methods have been referenced in shows such as the Simpsons and Family Guy. Also more people have heard of Hitchcok then Stanley Kubrick

Read his post again (e: or rather, don't) and then wonder why you are responding to him in earnest instead of doing literally anything else with your time.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 24, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw 12 Monkeys. Does that count as Hitchcock?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He referred to Hitchcock's "discography" and thinks Will Smith was in a movie named after him. Come on guys, you're smarter than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Bandwagons are fun and productive.

• Locked thread