Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

QPZIL posted:

Don't worry I'll see them at King's in Raleigh for you :)

Me too, and it'll be my first time seeing them ever, let alone at Kings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I saw Agalloch a year ago on their European tour, and it was easily one of the greatest live shows I've ever seen. I am a huge fan of them in general though.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay

henpod posted:

I saw a band called Trollfest last night here in London. Absolute madness, and what a party they bring to a small venue.

They had about 7 people with instruments such as a banjo, violin and accordion - and came out dressed in doctors coats and by the end of the night they were dressed like Romans and dinosaurs. The guitarist played his solo whilst crowd surfing, and was in the crowd later, joined by the bassist thrashing in the middle of us all. The vocalist had some kind of vodka-backback with hoses and was spraying into anyone's face who wanted some. They had three different percussion setups (with ducks?), one of which was manned by the vocalist, and the other one had some nutcase who would smash it from time to time in-between running around on stage and acting like a maniac. Music alternated between heavy as all gently caress and that catchy/folky sound.

Finsterforst (who opened for them) suddenly joined us in the crowd and partied was well. What a ridiculously fun show, the above description barely describes the madness. See them if you can.

Trollfest owns, as does pretty much any band that has Troll in the name come to think of it.

Livejournal: I ended up going to the Behemoth/Inquisition/Goatwhore/1349 show and regret missing Sabaton but holy poo poo was that a great lineup. Hail Satan etc

Iceberg-Slim fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 22, 2014

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Iceberg-Slim posted:

Trollfest owns, as does pretty much any band that has Troll in the name come to think of it.

Livejournal: I ended up going to the Behemoth/Inquisition/Goatwhore/1349 show and regret missing Sabaton but holy poo poo was that a great lineup. Hail Satan etc

:black101:

It's loving incredible that Inquisition is just two dudes.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Cesaro posted:

Just found out about and promptly bought tickets to Agalloch this summer. I didn't I'd ever get to see them live.

Here's the tour listing:

Oh mother FUCKER. Of course they're coming to NY when I'm going to be on a family trip. :argh:

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Cesaro posted:

[Agalloch Tour Listing Shenanigans]

Seen you four times, Agalloch, but gently caress you guys for skipping the southwest.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Iceberg-Slim posted:

Yay! Sabaton is fun enough live, but there were a lot of large smelly people there (at the VA show).

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
The new Insomnium tape has leaked. Go get it nerds.

Blast beats... In my melodic death metal? Yeahhhh it's good man...

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Oh poo poo I might have to take a trip up to Raleigh.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Obfuscation posted:

I saw Agalloch a year ago on their European tour, and it was easily one of the greatest live shows I've ever seen. I am a huge fan of them in general though.

I've heard the opposite actually, from fans who saw them live and said they were really sloppy live.

Usually in July I'd be visiting either Toronto or Boston but not this year :I

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I must shamefully confess that I loving love Hanzel Und Gretyl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL_JCpChG3E

:negative:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

So who's looking forward to the new Cannibal Corpse? Mark Lewis is producing, apparently.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I'm sure it will be like their last 200 or so albums. Not necessarily a bad thing though.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Defiant Sally posted:

The new Insomnium tape has leaked. Go get it nerds.

Blast beats... In my melodic death metal? Yeahhhh it's good man...

I guess you've never listened to Intestine Baalism?

Zero.
Apr 21, 2014

Bertrand Hustle posted:

So who's looking forward to the new Cannibal Corpse? Mark Lewis is producing, apparently.

\ o /

Although I have to admit I didnt liked their last album (torture) very well.

I mean Cannibal Corpse is THE band you are thinking of when I say something about death metal, Torture is now an album which is not really... surprising. The classic death metal fan is getting exactly what he expected: very good death metal songs, laid into a bed of the band typical gore-image. Of course I'm not expecting a huge innovation everytime they bring out a new album, but the lyrics are now pretty much always the same if you compare them to their last two albums (Kill / Evisceration Plague).
On the one hand, Cannibal Corpse is still one of the top bands. Their songs are always somewhere between Groove and High-Tech Riffing and especially in the slower parts of the songs they unfold their true "hardness". So far so good. On the other hand Fisher is aaaaaaaalways doing the same. For years. The monotonicity hes spreading on the last albums is.... boring? cruel? I dont know.

Dont get me wrong! They are still a great band and their music is still great, there are always some very good songs and if you are a true fan you'll like them anyway (as they are doing always the same) but if you take a closer look its not that much bright and shiny as it appears to be.

Anyhow, I'll stay a fan, no matter what happens!

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

As a longtime fan, I look at the Cannibal Corpse as having three phases. 1) The Chris Barnes era up thru The Bleeding, which is undeniably their best material. 2) The 5 albums that Corpsegrinder did with them that are mediocre for the most part. 3) Then, you have everything since KILL that has taken the band to a whole new level. 2009's Evisceration Plague was one of the catchiest and easily addictive death metal albums they've released. I have high hopes for the summer release, but I'm concerned why they would choose to tour with the likes of Korn and Avenged Sevenfold.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I've heard the opposite actually, from fans who saw them live and said they were really sloppy live.

Usually in July I'd be visiting either Toronto or Boston but not this year :I

My general impression was that they were just boring live. They have zero stage presence and most of the band outside of Haughm felt like hired guns.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

If you see Agalloch expecting them to be as good as they are on CD, you'll probably be disappointed. They don't have a lot of stage presence outside of John, but Don and Jason do get into it from time to time. John can't sing that well (period), but a lot of the atmosphere of the music is still there and they try to keep that alive with various folksy things on stage and whatnot. The really big problem I have with Agalloch shows is the audience. I saw them at their DVD recording in Belgium and I've seen them three times here in the States. People in Europe were stand-up, but I loving hate how pretentious some of these kids are here in the US and Agalloch shows bring them out en masse. It's like BM-hipster central (if there is such a thing), so keep that in mind if you end up going.

Ninja edit: It doesn't help that John himself is kind of a BM-hipster =/

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Oldstench posted:

I guess you've never listened to Intestine Baalism?

Whatever happened to these guys? Ultimate Instinct was my jam back in 09.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I have high hopes for the summer release, but I'm concerned why they would choose to tour with the likes of Korn and Avenged Sevenfold.

Like a lot of middle aged men they got mortgages to pay and kids' college tuition to save up for.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

TheIllestVillain posted:

No idea. It doesn't help that lots of Japanese bands don't seem to be interested in getting a Facebook, or really having any social media presence at all.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

TheIllestVillain posted:

according to last.fm they played at a fest back in feburary, so they're still active, they just haven't released any new material recently.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

comes along bort posted:

Like a lot of middle aged men they got mortgages to pay and kids' college tuition to save up for.

The chance that it'll get more people into death metal isn't bad, either. It happened to me with Amon Amarth when I saw them open for Children of Bodom.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

New Slayer song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBG1WLxlQ9M

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Pretty dull in my opinion.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Semprini posted:

New Slayer song: :bravo2:

This is pretty terrible, and that vocal cadence makes it sound like he's reading out of a book of limericks. I guess with Hanneman and Lombardo gone I really shouldn't expect much from here on out, not like "world painted blood" was a masterpiece or anything.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm listening to Into the Abyss by Poison (the German one) right now and it slays. I can't believe death/thrash like this existed in 1986. Gotta love those short-lived underground bands whose demos or lone albums/EPs have survived thanks to the internet. You guys have any more stuff in that category?

I already know Timeghoul and Nirvana 2002 off the top of my head.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 24, 2014

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Monkeytime posted:

This is pretty terrible, and that vocal cadence makes it sound like he's reading out of a book of limericks. I guess with Hanneman and Lombardo gone I really shouldn't expect much from here on out, not like "world painted blood" was a masterpiece or anything.

It's just a collection of riffs, too. Nothing tying them together.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm listening to Into the Abyss by Poison (the German one) right now and it slays. I can't believe death/thrash like this existed in 1986. Gotta love those short-lived underground bands whose demos or lone albums/EPs have survived thanks to the internet. You guys have any more stuff in that category?

Radiation Sickness would probably fit that mold

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
The new Slayer song sounds like post-Load Metallica. So bad.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tom Arya is now rapping. Cool.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Monkeytime posted:

The lyrics starting with "So is it just me" actually really amused me, it had me thinking less limericks and more Jerry Seinfeld.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Well at least it wasn't 8 minutes long like the new Metallica song.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

- Ahrimah are a Polish band who blended Hawkwind/Floyd type prog rock with death metal. They only have one EP, Ain Soph Aur.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m005E-MmUNM

- Rippikoulu, famous Finnish death-doom band with awesome vocals. Insanely crushing production.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjaV-3PLXh8

- Sindrome, obscure prog thrash act. Some keyboarding reminiscent of Nocturnus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSgxgtsSpE4

- Terrahsphere, another prog/tech thrash band with pretty poo poo vocals. Then again, Watchtower and Voivod had awful vocalists and they're great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoBr0-i-jy4

- Necrovore, incredibly intense and primitive early thrash/death
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVL0fsJi4Z4

I have a bunch of other obscure prog metal acts I could mention (Annon Vin, Imperium, and Taramis to name a few) but that's a bit much for now, I think.

There's also more famous one-album bands like Decameron, Kvist, Infester, Molested, and Demilich, of course.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 24, 2014

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Now that's a tour!

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
It's sorta depressing when Within the Ruins is in my top 3 bands on that bill

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gamma Nerd posted:

- Ahrimah are a Polish band who blended Hawkwind/Floyd type prog rock with death metal. They only have one EP, Ain Soph Aur.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m005E-MmUNM

- Rippikoulu, famous Finnish death-doom band with awesome vocals. Insanely crushing production.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjaV-3PLXh8

- Sindrome, obscure prog thrash act. Some keyboarding reminiscent of Nocturnus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSgxgtsSpE4

- Terrahsphere, another prog/tech thrash band with pretty poo poo vocals. Then again, Watchtower and Voivod had awful vocalists and they're great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoBr0-i-jy4

- Necrovore, incredibly intense and primitive early thrash/death
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVL0fsJi4Z4

I have a bunch of other obscure prog metal acts I could mention (Annon Vin, Imperium, and Taramis to name a few) but that's a bit much for now, I think.

There's also more famous one-album bands like Decameron, Kvist, Infester, Molested, and Demilich, of course.

I forgot about Rippikoulou. They're tight but I do wish they had just slightly clearer production. Remind me a lot of Asphyx.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

new Cannabis Corpse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82pGrkF5dYE

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Guess I'm gonna see Inquisition and Behemoth in an hour or two :black101:

Edit: I guess I'll be th 100th goon to go holy poo poo Inquisition :aaa:

the yeti fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

I forgot about Rippikoulou. They're tight but I do wish they had just slightly clearer production. Remind me a lot of Asphyx.

Glad you liked!

I dug up a lot of those bands from the comments on this article, heh. There's a few good ones I can think of which escaped being mentioned in those comments, too.

Miasma are amazing, for example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkZy6gywfIE

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 24, 2014