Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ded posted:

So uhhh.. who is this?

:siren::siren::siren:SPOILER:siren::siren::siren:
http://imgur.com/Z52m2Md

That's clearly Isabel Rochev.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

So just read through this thread [EDIT: for this most recent episode]and read untagged spoilers about character deaths in a Justified season that only just finished and character deaths in two movies I haven't yet seen. Thanks guys :thumbsup:

If you're going to spoil anything, especially if it's a show completely unrelated to Arrow in any way, use spoiler tags. It's not hard, christ.

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 24, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Moira was seriously my favourite character, so this episode greatly saddened me. She was kind of a wild card, since aside from protecting her family, you were rarely sure about what she was going to do, or what the next story involving her would be: would she be trying to reconnect with her daughter or have her husband kidnapped to ensure her silence? She could be both a concerned mother and a dangerous antagonist without either role ringing false. She was a completely normal (corrupt business)woman in a world of masked vigilantes and ancient death cults, comfortable with both family drama and supervillain intrigue. I have a feeling that they had much more stories to tell with her, so I'm afraid the show will be poorer without her.

e: ^^^ Spoilering this for the sake of people who haven't watched the episode and don't want to see spoilers on the top of the page.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 24, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

e: ^^^ Spoilering this for the sake of people who haven't watched the episode and don't want to see spoilers on the top of the page.

Don't use spoilers for stuff that's already aired.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
I legitimately think that it was a mistake for the show to kill off Moira, because she was an actual interesting villain that was more complex than the typical "grr I'm bad and I'm going to rob and kill you" bad guys that these kinds of shows typically use. While clearly a bad person, oftentimes it was easy to see how and why she came to make the choices that she had, and her willingness to do anything for her family gave the character an interesting dynamic. I feel like there were so many unexplored paths that they could have taken with Moira, so her sudden death in the show came too soon.

What's up with Sara going "peace out" though? It seems like it couldn't have been at a worse possible time. "Hey Ollie, I know there is this unstoppable killing machine gunning for your family, and you are trying to deal with drugged-out Roy, Thea being mad at you for the whole lying thing, and a broken leg, but I gotta jet. Things to do you know? It's not you, it's me though. Later!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Moira wasn't a villain.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Aphrodite posted:

Moira wasn't a villain.

This. I don't know why everyone keeps insisting she is. She's a person who fell in with bad people, got in way over her head, and did what she thought she had to do to survive. There was never the slightest hint that she was anything other than an unwilling participant cooperating with Malcolm's undertaking under duress.

At worst, she's morally ambiguous, but she was never evil.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

imperialparadox posted:

What's up with Sara going "peace out" though? It seems like it couldn't have been at a worse possible time. "Hey Ollie, I know there is this unstoppable killing machine gunning for your family, and you are trying to deal with drugged-out Roy, Thea being mad at you for the whole lying thing, and a broken leg, but I gotta jet. Things to do you know? It's not you, it's me though. Later!"

Sara told Sin she is going to see an old friend (probably Nyssa, and return to the League in exchange for them taking out Slade). She may be splitting up with Oliver on a romantic level, but she is not about to let him fight Slade alone.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

VagueRant posted:

As for Slade, I'm wondering if they'll cure him of his madness after the big final battle and he'll be repentant and run off and become a recurring anti-hero.

He killed Moira, there's no redemption from that. Dude is loving dead, only question is how Ollie is gonna kill him.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nyssa and the ninjas will show up. Ollie cures Slade and Roy, less crazy Slade escapes. Ravager kills Sara, Thea runs off with Nyssa.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

WarLocke posted:

He killed Moira, there's no redemption from that. Dude is loving dead, only question is how Ollie is gonna kill him.

If that's true, I wonder if the island flashbacks with him "killing" Slade are going to coincide with current timeline actually killing Slade. I don't know if it's really too late for him to be redeemed, one of the themes of the season is that Ollie "can't be the killer he once was" after all.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 24, 2014

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

raditts posted:

If that's true, I wonder if the island flashbacks with him "killing" Slade are going to coincide with current timeline actually killing Slade. I don't know if it's really too late for him to be redeemed, one of the themes of the season is that Ollie "can't be the killer he once was" after all.

Ollie's going to cure Slade, then Slade, now sane, is going to kill himself when he realizes what he's done.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

raditts posted:

The other themes being that he holds back, convinced he can save everyone long past everyone else giving up on saving people, and that he makes horribly bad decisions. :v:

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ten_twentyfour posted:

Ollie's going to cure Slade, then Slade, now sane, is going to kill himself when he realizes what he's done.

Does Deathstroke never join the Suicide Squad?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Does Deathstroke never join the Suicide Squad?

Maybe he gets confused into thinking that suicide is the criteria for getting into the squad.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea there's no way Ollie will actually be the one to kill Slade, if it happens at all. The whole point of the storyline has been that he "killed" Slade on the island instead of trying to save him, so inevitably Ollie will have another chance to finish him and this time he'll make a different choice. Then Ra's will stab him in the heart out of nowhere. The last scene of the season will be Slade's eyes opening after a dunk in the Lazarus pit.

jedibeavis
Mar 23, 2004

Bag 'em & tag 'em, Sarah!

Excuse me, Agent Walker.
I was honestly surprised they killed Moira off. I fully expected Slade to get lit up with a bunch of black arrows, seeing as how he probably already got Malcolm Merlyn's attention by broadcasting Thea's kidnapping a while back, and then threatening to kill her or Moira.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

WarLocke posted:

Roy killed a cop. I know this show has always been heavy on the nepotism, but if they forgive Roy for that and blame the drug, why would it not be the same for Slade?

The Lord Bude posted:

This. I don't know why everyone keeps insisting she is. She's a person who fell in with bad people, got in way over her head, and did what she thought she had to do to survive. There was never the slightest hint that she was anything other than an unwilling participant cooperating with Malcolm's undertaking under duress.

At worst, she's morally ambiguous, but she was never evil.
The end of the PILOT is literally the reveal that she hired the kind of cut throat mercenaries that kill witnesses (a fact she seemed unfazed by) to kidnap and interrogate her own son.

Never mind the time she shot Arrow, her involvement in the shipwreck, what she did to her second husband, her constant lying and the fact this super corporate rich lady decided she was a better candidate for Mayor than the guy who actually had a record WITH and expressed an interest IN helping the downtrodden she had a hand in nearly massacring? (Admittedly, he turned out to be a psychotic murdering supervillain, working for a worse one, BUT STILL!)

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

VagueRant posted:

Roy killed a cop. I know this show has always been heavy on the nepotism, but if they forgive Roy for that and blame the drug, why would it not be the same for Slade?

And tried to choke Thea to death. This episode alone with previous ones has really banged the drum HARD on how hosed up Mirakuru can make a person, to the point that a very strong argument can be made that Slade is really, truly not fully responsible for his actions. I can see the final battle going back and forth between the island and present day - on the island, Ollie puts an arrow in Slade's eye and 'kills' him, in the present he decides to cure Slade and leave him with the knowledge of what he's done as his punishment.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I was actually kinda expecting Roy to die in the middle. I felt it was gonna be a similar conclusion to Vertigo.

Also, Malcolm has to come back now. Slade's not gonna get a redemptive arc but I bet Malcolm might get a small one, while training Thea in art of arrow shooting :getin: It's really the perfect opportunity for her to learn that stuff so she can get revenge.

edit: I will miss Moira though, I thought she was one of the better actors when it came to the emotional scenes.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Aphrodite posted:

Moira wasn't a villain.

She knew of the plans with the earthquake machine and what its target was, even though she regretted it at the end, it still killed hundreds of poor people. 5 seconds after she decides to run for mayor, because she doesn't like it when people pick on rich people. She might not be a villain, but she also showed very little remorse for her actions.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

VagueRant posted:

The end of the PILOT is literally the reveal that she hired the kind of cut throat mercenaries that kill witnesses (a fact she seemed unfazed by) to kidnap and interrogate her own son.

Never mind the time she shot Arrow, her involvement in the shipwreck, what she did to her second husband, her constant lying and the fact this super corporate rich lady decided she was a better candidate for Mayor than the guy who actually had a record WITH and expressed an interest IN helping the downtrodden she had a hand in nearly massacring? (Admittedly, he turned out to be a psychotic murdering supervillain, working for a worse one, BUT STILL!)

1. Hiring the mercenaries/the shipwreck/walter is all stuff she was basically forced to do by Malcolm - there is no indication she would have done that sort of thing if she hadn't already been led down the slippery slope. I'm not suggesting she hasn't done bad things, but she isn't a villain, any more than some kid in the real world who gets mixed up in/peer pressured into a gang and ends up being forced to do bad things because they are too scared to try and escape is a villain.

2. Shooting the Arrow was self defence against someone who at the time, she believed to be a murderous criminal - remember she didn't figure out Oliver was the Arrow till the night of the Undertaking itself (the season 1 finale). Remember that Oliver IS technically a criminal (and I might add we don't go round calling him a villain despite all the people he murdered in season 1, which strengthens my point as far as Moire goes). As far as I know, depending on where exactly in the US Starling city is, Moire's actions in shooting Oliver may have been entirely legal.

3. Her mayoral ambition is just typical right wing nonsense, and has nothing to do with being good or evil. As I recall she was also pressured into running in the first place - it wasn't her idea. For all we know Slade could be behind that.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 24, 2014

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

1. I enjoyed this episode

2. Did anyone else bust a gut during Sarah's "I gave my soul to the devil" speech?

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013
I kinda get the feeling Island Slade is going to survive to the next season.

Either that, or they're going to squeeze Amanda Waller into the next three episodes' flashbacks, since she still has to meet Slade in order to pull that look she had at the end of the Suicide Squad episode.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

hi liter posted:

2. Did anyone else bust a gut during Sarah's "I gave my soul to the devil" speech?

Not really, since I liked the sly reference to Ra's.

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

It's crazy how much Stephen Amell's acting has improved since the beginning of the show. He's been killing it lately.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

hi liter posted:

No, but when I rewatched Moira's death scene, I almost fell out of my chair when Ollie basically told Slade "Dude, she like wasn't even in to you" in reference to Shado.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Also, I was super glad Ollie finally didn't buy into the perception that he killed Shado. "That's not what happened!" Thank god.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

King Burgundy posted:

Also, I was super glad Ollie finally didn't buy into the perception that he killed Shado. "That's not what happened!" Thank god.

Yeah that line fixed a lot about how the whole thing with Shado's death and Slade's 'revenge' kick have been played out. The way they showed the original scene Oliver didn't choose one way or another (in fact it sort of looked like he was throwing himself forward to be shot), Ivo lied and Slade is also insane. All of that was clear except that Oliver had never asserted the truth before, and it works so much better now that he has.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

And I think to some extent Oliver had convinced himself that that's what had happened (and maybe thought he had on some level consciously chosen Sara). Everything Slade's done since, though, has basically absolved him of any kind of guilt he may have had.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

My wife happened to be napping on the couch next to me during the episode and at the climax she woke up and started talking to me in a half-sleep - not realizing what a life-altering moment that was. I have never shouted "Would you shut up!" to my wife of 8 years before. She was not happy with me but it was worth it. After she took a few minutes, she asked me what happened and I told her. She understood.

antisocial
May 26, 2004

Only pretending to be the world's worst poster!
Keep it on the down low (down low)
Nobody has to know...

York_M_Chan posted:

My wife happened to be napping on the couch next to me during the episode and at the climax she woke up and started talking to me in a half-sleep - not realizing what a life-altering moment that was. I have never shouted "Would you shut up!" to my wife of 8 years before. She was not happy with me but it was worth it. After she took a few minutes, she asked me what happened and I told her. She understood.

Couldn't you just pause the episode for a sec? I mean really...

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

antisocial posted:

Couldn't you just pause the episode for a sec? I mean really...

You think I am made of money that I can just PAUSE television!? Some people in this world don't have cable.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Sober posted:

Wasn't this episode originally supposed to be the Flash backdoor pilot? (episode 20 or so?). I'm curious if killing Moira was planned for the end of this season somewhere else but then they realized they had to sort of fill in the empty slot after they immediately took Flash to pilot after he showed up in Arrow.

Deadpool posted:

Yeah, it was originally. But that was nixed early enough into production that I'm sure they didn't even have scripts of most of the last half of the season yet.

Episode 19 was supposed to be the Flash backdoor pilot, not this one. You know, the one with the characters from Flash showing up to introduce themselves?

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

Oracle posted:

Jesus, that last scene was really well acted. It could have been terrible but Susanna Thompson and Willa Holland sold the hell out of that. When Moira told Thea not to look my gut twisted. For a second I thought Slade was going to walk away and him using the katana instead of the gun felt off, since he was going for the whole mirror of what he thinks happened on the island.

Then I realized he was showing her respect and acknowledging her as a person instead of as just a Sarah/Shado analogue in his gently caress with Olliempics because of her choice.

Was Ollie supposed to have fainted/passed out at the end there?

(Also wigs: still terrible. Moira looked like Sarah for a second there).

I think Ollie was supposed to be a freshman in college in the flashback, they were all acting really young (trig is high school math, right? Do they even have trig classes in college?)

I actually never took trig in high school, and I actually had to take college algebra before I could take anything more advanced, but that's more because I'm lovely at math. American public schools. It's not inconceivable she'd be taking trig in college.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ville Valo posted:

Episode 19 was supposed to be the Flash backdoor pilot, not this one. You know, the one with the characters from Flash showing up to introduce themselves?

No, it was episode 20. When Flash got a full pilot they changed their plans.

That's not to say the Rage Monster Roy episode was meant to be the tie in, but the 20th episode was.

antisocial
May 26, 2004

Only pretending to be the world's worst poster!
Keep it on the down low (down low)
Nobody has to know...

York_M_Chan posted:

You think I am made of money that I can just PAUSE television!? Some people in this world don't have cable.
How about not being so goony that the first time (in 8 years of marriage) you would yell at her "Would you shut up!" is over a tv show in spite of how much of a "life-altering moment" it was.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

hi liter posted:

1. I enjoyed this episode

If I wasn't a comic book nerd I would have. But knowing that she's being pretty drat close to literal there helps that line.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well this is a cool shot from the preview, I dont even know if it's a big loving spoiler or just a cool extra thing

Seems the identity is out there:

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

So is ARGUS just DC's version of SHIELD?

• Locked thread