Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

You don't have to be media trained to understand that what he said wass pure unfiltered racist mouth-garbage, and any attempts to defend the comment just mean he should have hid his opinion better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It has to do with the BLM in that he's no different from any other racist hickass fuckwad who thinks they can demand from the BLM the right to mooch off public lands when they can't produce enough grazing stock on their own.

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Query: Are you saying that one coon calling for the hanging of another coon is racist?

Check and mate D&D.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

That was quick

Strategy: it is a lie/made up conspiracy by NYT

Also connect it to Obamacare

How do you cut the head off a spider? How is this the most efficient way to kill one?

So many questions.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Time_pants posted:

How in the gently caress does something like this even happen? How, in the 21st century, does someone open their mouths and say this at all, much less when the press cameras are rolling?

I am stunned.

They (people like Bundy) really think that the vast majority of people in this country feel the same way that they do, and it's only faggy PC liberals who even pretend to care about minorities, and that only out of white guilt. Seriously.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BUSH 2112 posted:

They (people like Bundy) really think that the vast majority of people in this country feel the same way that they do, and it's only faggy PC liberals who even pretend to care about minorities, and that only out of white guilt. Seriously.

It's true see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO0RWeM4EbA

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I saw the image of Obama with the robot on Politico this morning and was going to make this joke, but it looks like Drudge beat me to it.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cheekio posted:

This might be the most racist thing I've ever read.

I'd stay out of the Freep thread if I were you. Preserve that innocence.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BUSH 2112 posted:

Certainly 20% of Americans feel the same way at least, maybe 40 percent. It's just that most of those racists are smarter than him and stay relatively undercover.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

joeburz posted:

You don't have to be media trained to understand that what he said wass pure unfiltered racist mouth-garbage, and any attempts to defend the comment just mean he should have hid his opinion better.

The upshot is that the story, or at least the plucky little rancher narrative angle, is dead now. I don't know if Hannity or other right wing pundits were still beating the drums, but they won't be anymore. In fact, his next little "daily press conference" will be stacked with reporters waiting for him to say something unbelievably racist, which he will likely oblige when he tries to explain how references to literally picking cotton were not actually racist.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

I saw the image of Obama with the robot on Politico this morning and was going to make this joke, but it looks like Drudge beat me to it.

Drudge isn't making a joke.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Brigadier Sockface posted:

I'm still laughing at this amazing quote. In the end these jerks are always the same.

Why do all these conservative libertarians who hate the federal government turn out to be huge racists? And why do all these homosexuals keep sucking my cock?

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 24, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Cheekio posted:

Don't read much science fiction do you? There's a fellow names Theodore Beale who puts this to shame

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Joementum posted:

If he didn't say "Doumo Arigatou, Mister Roboto," he's not my president. :colbert:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Rule no 1 of American Right Wing politics: EVERYTHING is about race.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chokes McGee posted:

If he didn't say "Doumo Arigatou, Mister Roboto," he's not my president. :colbert:

Lack of trans-generational pop references really styx in my craw too.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Rule no 1 of American Right Wing politics: EVERYTHING is about race.

I'd say this is American politics in general and completely true. We ran on a de facto (and mainly de jure as well) racial caste system for 450+ years, finally said "this is bad" 50 years ago (and didn't do a very good job on following those principles). We finally stopped some of the more insidious and bureaucratic means of enforcing class along race lines in 2002, just in time for the roll back of all those "this is bad" laws and rulings to start.

I sure as hell don't have a solution for the issue, but I don't think it is out of line to say it defines most of the issues in this country. It was too ingrained for too long for it not to be

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

I'd say this is American politics in general and completely true. We ran on a de facto (and mainly de jure as well) racial caste system for 450+ years, finally said "this is bad" 50 years ago (and didn't do a very good job on following those principles). We finally stopped some of the more insidious and bureaucratic means of enforcing class along race lines in 2002, just in time for the roll back of all those "this is bad" laws and rulings to start.

I sure as hell don't have a solution for the issue, but I don't think it is out of line to say it defines most of the issues in this country. It was too ingrained for too long for it not to be

Uh, maybe you haven't seen any of the recent SCOTUS decisions, but I'm pretty sure we're all past race at this point.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

quote:

Again, this isn’t about one person, but the left would love for it to be so. It’s easier to kill a spider by cutting off the head.

This may be the least ridiculous thing in there, but a tiny guillotine seems pretty impractical for getting rid of spiders.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If only there was another animal, one that is commonly referred in allegories involving decapitation. Nope, spider it is.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

The upshot is that the story, or at least the plucky little rancher narrative angle, is dead now. I don't know if Hannity or other right wing pundits were still beating the drums, but they won't be anymore. In fact, his next little "daily press conference" will be stacked with reporters waiting for him to say something unbelievably racist, which he will likely oblige when he tries to explain how references to literally picking cotton were not actually racist.

I'd love to believe that, and certainly Bundy used magic words ("cotton," "negro") that you're not supposed to say. But the counterfactual narrative powers of the right grow daily and there's really no one but MSNBC to beat the "Bundy's racist" drum. And of course he'll continue to be a secret hero to those Republicans who spurn him publicly.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Fried Chicken posted:

Don't read much science fiction do you? There's a fellow names Theodore Beale who puts this to shame

I should brush up. It's not like I live in a world without racism, it's just that the nonchalant dismissal of the capacity of black Americans for self determination threw me for a loop. You know, might rain tomorrow. potholes need fixing, and black people might be better off living under my boot heel.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Bundy managed to gently caress up the whole "Welfare holds back black people/Democrats are the real racists" trope that Republicans love to spew. That's so easy not to gently caress up but here we are.

It's great though, because someone finally hosed up and brought the subtext to the foreground so the dogwhistle is obvious to everyone now if someone else says something like that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SedanChair posted:

I'd love to believe that, and certainly Bundy used magic words ("cotton," "negro") that you're not supposed to say. But the counterfactual narrative powers of the right grow daily and there's really no one but MSNBC to beat the "Bundy's racist" drum. And of course he'll continue to be a secret hero to those Republicans who spurn him publicly.

One of the things you can't actually do even in this hosed up society is actively support a confessed racist. I'm sure there will be Breitbart think pieces about "who cares if this guy's a racist!" but as far as mainstream right wing media goes, pure obvious racism like this is still radioactive. This isn't dogwhistle stuff, he said "Negros were better off picking cotton under slavery".

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

One of the things you can't actually do even in this hosed up society is actively support a confessed racist. I'm sure there will be Breitbart think pieces about "who cares if this guy's a racist!" but as far as mainstream right wing media goes, pure obvious racism like this is still radioactive. This isn't dogwhistle stuff, he said "Negros were better off picking cotton under slavery".

I'm still making the bet that open racism will be crept into the party by 2016. This may be a tipping point for the base; they're going to be super pissed off when Rand Paul and crew start distancing today. They don't care about reasons.

Jasque
Jan 13, 2006
Garbage! That hovercraft is a joke of engineering, and that helmet would never protect your brain from lasers!
It's not the racism angle we should be playing up, it's the sheer unmitigated hypocrisy this guy shows. We have a racist redneck gently caress-head complaining about moocher blacks while he's also mooching off of federal land and has been doing so for 20 years. Wow, just wow. You can't write satire this good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jasque posted:

It's not the racism angle we should be playing up, it's the sheer unmitigated hypocrisy this guy shows. We have a racist redneck gently caress-head complaining about moocher blacks while he's also mooching off of federal land and has been doing so for 20 years. Wow, just wow. You can't write satire this good.

Oh please if you could get anywhere pointing out Republican hypocrisy there wouldn't be any Republicans anymore. The best we can hope for out of this is everyone ignoring that it ever happened.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Doctor Butts posted:

Bundy managed to gently caress up the whole "Welfare holds back black people/Democrats are the real racists" trope that Republicans love to spew. That's so easy not to gently caress up but here we are.

It's great though, because someone finally hosed up and brought the subtext to the foreground so the dogwhistle is obvious to everyone now if someone else says something like that.

Thing is, live in the bubble, die by the bubble. The right wing information bubble is so extreme that these types of opinions are starting to become "acceptable" again within the right wing bubble community, which is why more and more of the extreme right wingers are starting to say stuff like this in public or on the record.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is there any reason that this proof that Bundy's story is not true on any level isn't getting traction? Is there something wrong with its conclusions that I'm not seeing or is veracity irrelevant at this point?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

haveblue posted:

Is there any reason that this proof that Bundy's story is not true on any level isn't getting traction? Is there something wrong with its conclusions that I'm not seeing or is veracity irrelevant at this point?

Because the facts don't fit the established media narrative.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

haveblue posted:

It's the latter. This is driven by the right-wing "news" machine, which means things like facts are irrelevant.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

SedanChair posted:

The real truth on something like this isn't that Bundy will be a secret hero, he'll be an open hero for stuff like this. And the reason Bundy will be a hero is the racism. Sure, it'll be couched in the rhetoric of 'he's a patriot for standing up to the government', but he'll be a hero for the racism.

A big swath of the conservative base, which should be to no one's surprise, consists of old, rural, racist, cowboy-impersonating men, all of whom seem to be heavily armed with guns and the contact info for their local Republican politician. Every day, these misguided assholes will angrily call their rep, or send emails in all capital letters, angry about some conspiracy theory, random chain email, or just the fact that they can't say the n-word.

Cliven Bundy, with his words, is basically going to bring that rhetoric further into Republican conversation, because of his syncophants parroting it at every local meeting. Realistically, that's the only thing they care about, why and how everyone doesn't take kindly to them being racist old codgers anymore. And they want to do something about it, by bringing that kind of language back, at the barrel of their illegally-purchased firearm.

SedanChair posted:

I'm still making the bet that open racism will be crept into the party by 2016. This may be a tipping point for the base; they're going to be super pissed off when Rand Paul and crew start distancing today. They don't care about reasons.

That is a good bet. Open racism will creep in more and more, because of some hero to conservatives making racist comments, then everyone taking things many steps further in the local level.

Not only that, these conservatives won't just be really pissed when people distance themselves, they'll be angry at any Republican who doesn't say racist things themselves. They'll send angry email after angry email, eventually coming to the point of brandishing loaded weapons at their town hall meetings while screaming, because their local Republican isn't letting them tell racist jokes at public events, or forwarding their MS Paint drawings of Obama as a gorilla.

Needless to say, this will end up destroying Republicans' chances in a couple seats, as the party can easily get painted as that big group of angry racist hicks.

zoux posted:

...and that's why the Republicans will lose seats because of this. Obvious, unfiltered racism is completely verboten, and a lot of Republican candidates will lose supporters for either not being openly racist (and losing the primary) or being openly racist (and losing the election by 40 points).

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
This seems like a great opportunity for Professor of African American Studies Rand Paul to speak at a HBCU on the topic of how not only is Bundy wrong about this, but it's really the fault of Democrats.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

AsInHowe posted:

...and that's why the Republicans will lose seats because of this. Obvious, unfiltered racism is completely verboten, and a lot of Republican candidates will lose supporters for either not being openly racist (and losing the primary) or being openly racist (and losing the election by 40 points).

Isn't the counter to this their hilariously blatant disenfranchisement and gerrymandering? Seems to be working well so far.

Though I suppose there is hope that this strategy ultimately fails. Just doesn't seem to be so far.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AsInHowe posted:

We keep hoping this but until it actually happens, I remain skeptical.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

SumYungGui posted:

Isn't the counter to this their hilariously blatant disenfranchisement and gerrymandering? Seems to be working well so far.

Though I suppose there is hope that this strategy ultimately fails. Just doesn't seem to be so far.

The thing is, blatant disenfranchisement and all might try to eliminate votes, but it doesn't viscerally connect with the racist wing of the party. They don't want discrete racism, they want to be yelling the n-word while shooting guns in the air as a crowd of people gives them a standing ovation.

zoux posted:

We keep hoping this but until it actually happens, I remain skeptical.

The defining Republican soundbite of 2012 was Todd Akin saying something irredeemably stupid about rape, Republicans rushing to defend him, and the Democrats using it to pick up votes. The same thing will happen in 2014/2016, only with something racist.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Wolfsheim posted:

All this Bush talk brings me back to how completely, desperately hosed the country was by the end of 2008, and I got to thinking, crash aside (because who can predict a bubble, right?) what exactly was the endgame for Iraq? Like, in a perfect Republican world where everything didn't go to poo poo, how was that supposed to play out? And same question for Afghanistan, I guess.

I don't know if you remember, but the subjects of how supposedly-easy (itself a massive misconception) the occupations of Germany and Japan post-WWII both were came up fairly frequently during the run-up to war and early occupation. In so far as they gave it any thought at all, it was supposed to play out like that, further evidence if any is needed that those in charge of Iraq and cheerleaders thereof were remarkably out of touch.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

AsInHowe posted:

The defining Republican soundbite of 2012 was Todd Akin saying something irredeemably stupid about rape, Republicans rushing to defend him, and the Democrats using it to pick up votes. The same thing will happen in 2014/2016, only with something racist.
I'm almost willing to bet that by 2016 a Republican congressman or congressional candidate will be caught on tape saying friend of the family, possibly referring to the President but probably not (that's honestly too on the nose), and he will be broadly defended for it instead of being asked to step down, and that'll be the Akin moment.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Cheekio posted:

If you read any book that was popular in the 19th century but nobody's ever heard of it now, there's a really good chance it's absolutely packed with racist stuff. Huckleberry Finn comes up for banning every now and then, but its language is hardly extraordinary and next to piles of other contemporary writing it's far ahead of its time.

And it wasn't just fiction or ignorant people. A good example is Theodore Roosevelt's The Naval War of 1812. The book starts off with a really painful discourse on the inherent qualities of the different world races as far as their qualifications for being good seamen. Another is George Borrow's The Bible in Spain, a blockbuster of the 1840s and a fantastic travel book despite the pervasive racism. (Borrow was actually pretty LF for his time, and stuck out as being uncommonly sympathetic to the Roma people of Spain; he even translated books into their dialect. Still, the book is painful.)

If you've read Eco's The Prague Cemetery you get a feel for it. People are still racist shits but societal norms on how they express themselves have come a long way.

... and that has barely anything to do with GOP politics

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Sorry to beat the dead bush, but this has always been my favorite bush monent.

http://youtu.be/kdimK1onR4o

You can be both smart and completely ignorant at the same time. It's just most people like that don't rise to positions where they can gently caress so many people's lives over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

JT Jag posted:

I'm almost willing to bet that by 2016 a Republican congressman or congressional candidate will be caught on tape saying friend of the family, possibly referring to the President but probably not (that's honestly too on the nose), and he will be broadly defended for it instead of being asked to step down, and that'll be the Akin moment.

George Allen, 2006.

• Locked thread