Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germ
May 7, 2013

Fenarisk posted:

I backed this solely on that art. It's that evocative.

Agreed. I'm not planning on backing, but I think the art aesthetic on this project is top-notch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

What's the consensus on The Agents? This is a revised edition, so I was hoping someone's actually played it and can say if it's dogshit or not.

I backed it solely on its affordability (well, after seeing people recommend it here). I'm even willing to let the KS-exclusive expansion SG slide.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Asymmetrikon posted:

Even if this wasn't a completely loving terrible thing to say, it isn't even true. This is the hobby that puts Wayne Reynolds on book covers; it has absolutely no room to say what is and isn't 'art'.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Wayne Reynolds is a great artist, by the measure of pouches drawn. He has drawn a lot of pouches! He is a excellent pouch artist. If I never need some pouches drawn I'll be like:

"Mr. Reynolds, I would like to commission you."

"For pouches."

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I hope that bird didn't die for the Kickstarter photo. :smith:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

It's a Cthulhu-esque tentacle thingy Photoshopped into a photo of a cornfield. What's evocative about that?

It's the Whisperer in the Rye.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

ravenkult posted:

I'm sorry you didn't like it. :ohdear:

Oh, gosh, no! I loved it. I meant the 'some dude just photoshopped a tentacle lol' criticism was at about that tired level.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Wayne Reynolds is a great artist, by the measure of pouches drawn. He has drawn a lot of pouches! He is a excellent pouch artist. If I never need some pouches drawn I'll be like:

"Mr. Reynolds, I would like to commission you."

"For pouches."

I've got mixed feelings about Wayne Reynolds. He's a really good and talented artist specializing in everything I hate about a lot of modern commercial fantasy art. In all seriousness, though, he really is good enough that I still pretty much like him.

Although he is in no way a force for good in the war against making character designs dumb because cleavage and butts are mandatory in fantasy art.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

OtspIII posted:

I've got mixed feelings about Wayne Reynolds. He's a really good and talented artist specializing in everything I hate about a lot of modern commercial fantasy art. In all seriousness, though, he really is good enough that I still pretty much like him.

Although he is in no way a force for good in the war against making character designs dumb because cleavage and butts are mandatory in fantasy art.

I have to wonder how much is him and how much is the art direction he's given, I can't help but notice that his work on properties other than Pathfinder is a lot more dynamic and less cheesecakey.

I like most of his work, but his style is very distinct, and so closely tied with Pathfinder now that I couldn't imagine why you would hire him to do anything that wasn't supposed to look like Pathfinder.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
He's not that bad, but his Pathfinder work is a mixed bag, between the cheesecake and a heavy reliance on overdesign, though he can do some standout work at times.

Anyway! The art of the kickstarter looks fine.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Alien Rope Burn posted:

He's not that bad, but his Pathfinder work is a mixed bag, between the cheesecake and a heavy reliance on overdesign, though he can do some standout work at times.

They also visually separate Pathfinder from other product. Nothing else looks quite like this:

(trigger warnings: Cheesecake, Sharkman, Sharkman eating said Cheesecake)

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

adhuin posted:

Sharkman versus cheesecake

At least it's not sharkwoman cheesecake! :suicide:

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

adhuin posted:

They also visually separate Pathfinder from other product. Nothing else looks quite like this:

(trigger warnings: Cheesecake, Sharkman, Sharkman eating said Cheesecake)

That's actually the cover to a Frog God Games product - a product for Pathfinder - but not actually part of Paizo's branding.

Edit: Which probably proves your point, if third parties are trying to emulate the house style.

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 24, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The cleavage is accentuated a bit, but what bothers me about that image is her weirdly thin and broken torso (where are her ribs?), and the poor perspective (look at the two ship masts, and then figure out how that railing in the bottom left works).

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Leperflesh posted:

The cleavage is accentuated a bit, but what bothers me about that image is her weirdly thin and broken torso (where are her ribs?), and the poor perspective (look at the two ship masts, and then figure out how that railing in the bottom left works).

She's got a hosed up back, dude, stop staring.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love that there's no way she's not getting her head bitten off, since she's not in any kind of defensive position and is clearly too off-balance to really move out of the way.

In other news, this looks...interesting? I guess? As much as I'd like to see an RPG that's completely card-based, this doesn't look like the way to do it.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

It's got a terrible loving name for what it is, if nothing else. Just reading the description, it's not simpler than Risus, FU, PDQ, or WaRP. It's... an excuse for a lot of tactile bits. Lots of tactile bits can be fun — I remain convinced that it's the only reason anyone could ever play Deadlands with its original system — but these look almost like they're from one of those educational things, where you get lots of cards with abstract symbols that get used in some maths lesson when the teacher's off and nobody can be arsed finding a video to watch so you get that poo poo and told "it's about, err, probability, I guess?" (I spent three months as a supply teacher, I know how it works.)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, given that they're trying to fix the problem of "having SO MANY books you need to play other games" and "having to look through 400 pages of rules" I'm guessing they've never laid eyes on anything even remotely indie.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

It's a shame, because I feel like with a decent name and some actual art direction I would have backed this, I like games with novel resolution mechanics.

This just look so... antiseptic and soulless, though, ugh.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Evil Mastermind posted:

I love that there's no way she's not getting her head bitten off, since she's not in any kind of defensive position and is clearly too off-balance to really move out of the way.

On the other hand, the Sharkperson is doing the "I'm jumping high with my weapons behind my back manoeuvre", so maybe he'll fail to connect. ( with weapons, not emotionally.)

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

adhuin posted:

On the other hand, the Sharkperson is doing the "I'm jumping high with my weapons behind my back manoeuvre", so maybe he'll fail to connect. ( with weapons, not emotionally.)

Those many, many teeth imply that maybe he's not trying to attack her with hand weapons.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Maybe one of the many pouches and bottles on her Lady Pirate Utility belt includes some Sexy Pirate Shark Repellent.

DigitalRaven posted:

It's got a terrible loving name for what it is, if nothing else. Just reading the description, it's not simpler than Risus, FU, PDQ, or WaRP. It's... an excuse for a lot of tactile bits. Lots of tactile bits can be fun — I remain convinced that it's the only reason anyone could ever play Deadlands with its original system — but these look almost like they're from one of those educational things, where you get lots of cards with abstract symbols that get used in some maths lesson when the teacher's off and nobody can be arsed finding a video to watch so you get that poo poo and told "it's about, err, probability, I guess?" (I spent three months as a supply teacher, I know how it works.)

Yeah Educational Game is exactly what I thought when I saw this.
Attaching something like this to a cool IP could make it a winner, but I have zero reason to buy into a completely generic RPG these days.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Tekopo posted:

Might investigate Good Cop Bad Cop further, I like Kickstarters which provide full rule breakdowns and it's something that I want to encourage in board game/card game KSes.

It's made by a friend of mine, and I did some of the very early playtesting. It's a lot different now from when I was playing it, but he's done a ton of testing and development leading up to this kickstarter. It's been getting really positive reviews from the people playing it that I've seen.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, given that they're trying to fix the problem of "having SO MANY books you need to play other games" and "having to look through 400 pages of rules" I'm guessing they've never laid eyes on anything even remotely indie.

I wrote a couple of one-page games (okay, they take both sides of the page, but you could print them 2-up and they'd still be readable). I wonder if the creator's head would explode.

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah Educational Game is exactly what I thought when I saw this.
Attaching something like this to a cool IP could make it a winner, but I have zero reason to buy into a completely generic RPG these days.

I think the real problem I have with it is that the core resolution is a really abstract edugame looking thing but then you've got cards for specific guns and grappling hooks and poo poo like that. If you're going abstract, go properly abstract. I'd be much more interested if it only used those weird cards because if nothing else I could write something around them. But as it is, it wants to be "simple" and "generic" but its genericity (shut up that is a word now) comes from the GURPS school where it means providing lots of details but no means of creating details. That approach has its advantages — if you want to know how a Plasma Katana™ does against a bronze-age sword, it's got you covered. But what if I want to know what a wormhole sword does? No example, you're poo poo out of luck because all too often all these games provide is examples.

If you're happy playing in the sandbox that the writers define — and with GURPS that sandbox is loving huge — you're fine. But when your knowledge and imagination come up with something the writers haven't predicted, you're hosed.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Some people may be interested in the Escape From The Temple: Big Box Kickstarter. It is pretty much a glorified preorder (no meaningful discount from MSRP, fairly well established company, etc.) with an ~exclusive~ room tile and various stretch goals. The game itself is pretty okay, but you're pretty much rolling dice for 10 minutes straight, so if that doesn't sound appealing to you, then you might want to look elsewhere.

Eh.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Will they make the card stock match across all tiles this time, so you don't know in advance what you're about to draw? :cheeky:

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So Last Stand: Reinforcements still has 9 days left, and isn't called Last Stand 2: Last Stander because of you people. What're you waiting for?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shadowfist: The Coming Darkness has hit 90% with 4 days to go after a big jump last night. Only eight new backers, though, averaging $300 each and with no new high level backers. I think Dan Griego may have salted the pot to get people to push it over, unless a lot of people bought addons all at once. I'm not worried about his honesty - I backed his last two campaigns and had no major problems - but it's a flag for me.

Miskatonic School For Girls: Holiday Break is less than $500 away with three days to go. It's a very light, very silly game and you can pick it up for $37 ($59 with the expansion).

Lastly, CMON have launched a new 14-day project which has already funded: Dogs of War. Full gameplay video on the KS, looks nice.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Apr 26, 2014

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Anyone backing Conquest of Speros?

Or anything else I should know about or look at?

Yo!!

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 30, 2014

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Rise to Power is a 2-4 player city-building card game set in the future, where an abundant source of energy called Prism has been recently discovered, and corporations (players) are jumping at the opportunity to convert the electricity infrastructure of the world to make use of this new power source. The aim of the game is to have the most influence by taking contracts on powering up districts, then fulfilling those contracts.

The contract mechanic has an interesting gimmick to it. Each district card is actually double-sided with an active state and an inactive state. When you contract a building you get it at its inactive state. You can then use its Exchange Action to get all sorts of instant bonuses, such as drawing more cards or getting more actions, but that means giving it up to the exchange for some other player to take in its activated form. On the other hand you can use Prism cards you draw to power it up, which grants you influence and/or other perks like higher draw capacity, hand size, and grid network size. You can power up a district using more Prism than necessary (for instance powering up a 7-power green building with 2 green 4-Prism cards), but you get to activate the district as a free action if you pay the exact amount (usually you only have 2 actions a turn).

Another mechanic is district upgrading. There are multiple districts of the same type, but they have different influence values. If you wish, instead of powering one up as its own district, you can instead power it up and place it on another district of the same type which has a higher influence value (so 1 on 2 on 3, but not 3 on 1) so it is still 1 district, but it's now worth the total of the influence value of the cards plus a bonus for every extra card over the base. So you don't want to let one player get all the Parklands districts, because they might get a really nice upgrade combo off of them.

Players also each have a private agenda, which is another way for that specific player to gain influence. Different agendas have different complexities, but also reward different amounts of influence.

The game is really affordable, at 25 AUD to get a physical copy of the game (add 8 AUD for shipping outside Australia).

The project makers already have a bunch of SGs planned, which add mini-expansions to the game. The final expansion will add support for up to 6 players.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Castles & Crusades. I didn't much care for it, but if it's your bag...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/676918054/castles-and-crusades

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Castles & Crusades posted:

Funding Goal: If we hit our funding goal of 15k, we'll print the Players Handbook in full color and the Monsters & Treasure and the Castle Keepers Guide in black and white.

What we want to do is print all Three Sisters in full color. To do that we are going to have to unlock some major stretch Rewards.

Not a promising sign.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

dwarf74 posted:

Castles & Crusades. I didn't much care for it, but if it's your bag...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/676918054/castles-and-crusades

This KS doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. $25 nets you the PHB in print, which is a great deal, but you need to spend four times as much for all three books? And then $130 gets you 7 books, twice as many as you'd get for $30 less? That's some...interesting math.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Last Stand: Reinforcements added a couple of extra KAIJU-level pledge rewards for getting your own monster in the book.

Also, do you want some more tables in your wargame? This very Engrish kickstarter would like to know!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

Anyone backing Conquest of Speros?

Or anything else I should know about or look at?

Yo!!

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Also, do you want some more tables in your wargame? This very Engrish kickstarter would like to know!

Wow, that was some pretty serious Engrish. I kinda wish you could just get the Blood Bowl mat from this.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
174 bucks for a 4 foot by 6 foot folding table made of cardboard? To be delivered in a little more than half a year? Sign me the gently caress up!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49932651/ This might not be 4x6 feet but I'm pretty sure I could whip up a bigger tabletop to put on it for gaming with all the money I saved, with the added bonus of not being made of loving cardboard.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Costco sells these 6 foot tables for $70. They even sell them in 22 packs!

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's harder to get six foot tables in Europe, but you can still do better than cardboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
While it's not a sexy shark nor a delightfully engrish table kickstarter, Aetherium is in the last 24 hours. Most of the rules have been previewed and it looks like a nice fairly light rules boardgame.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1648780792/aetherium/comments

• Locked thread