Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

arbybaconator posted:

After waiting for the Fujifilm X-T1 to come in stock...anywhere...

You put in a pre-order somewhere, right? If you're just waiting for it to show up visibly in stock on a website, you'll be waiting a very, very long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Costello Jello posted:

You put in a pre-order somewhere, right? If you're just waiting for it to show up visibly in stock on a website, you'll be waiting a very, very long time.

XT-1 seem to be more popular than XPro-1. I don't remember the XP1 or the XE1 being this hard to find.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

whatever7 posted:

XT-1 seem to be more popular than XPro-1. I don't remember the XP1 or the XE1 being this hard to find.

Nobody really knew what to expect when the XPro-1 hit the market. Since that time Fuji's managed to put together a really compelling mirrorless system in a surprisingly short timespan (even if the lens lineup still has a couple of holes).

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

boydx posted:

Bought a second hand X100 a couple of weeks ago and loving the hell out of it.

I did the same recently. I've hardly been out the house without it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The Fuji 35mm is sooo bad at focusing but it takes such awesome pictures. :allears:

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Costello Jello posted:

I put in a pre-order at Precision Camera here in Austin last week. It came in today.

Also, it's in stock @ Pictureline right now w/ the Kit Lens. It's been available since around 4pm CST. I doubt it will last long though.

http://www.pictureline.com/fujifilm-x-t1-1-digital-camera-w-18-55mm-lens-kit-black.html

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

fknlo posted:

The Fuji 35mm is sooo bad at focusing but it takes such awesome pictures. :allears:

It focuses pretty fast on the X-T1 actually compared to the other X cameras.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

fknlo posted:

I found focus speed to be alright. Did you update the firmware?

Loud as heck though.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

fknlo posted:

It's not fast but it's certainly not bad at all.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I never had any problems with the focus on mine. I didn't even find it that slow after the firmware updates and when it said it had focus, the shot was always focused properly.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Geektox posted:

I found focus speed to be alright. Did you update the firmware?

Yeah, it shipped with the latest firmware.

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's not fast but it's certainly not bad at all.

It's not even the speed, it's the actual focusing itself. It hunts a lot, and won't always focus when it does. I used it quite a bit yesterday, outside on a sunny day, and there were quite a few times where it would just flat out not find the thing 3 feet in front of it that I was trying to focus on. Or it would constantly focus on whatever was behind I was trying to focus on. Stuff that I've never noticed with the 18-55. It's still a really great lens.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So Leica announced a new APSC mirorless camera today, body plus a 23mm pancake is 3800. Look like its 10 times better than the EOS M + 22mm pancake.

Lens still look panaplastic though.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

whatever7 posted:

So Leica announced a new APSC mirorless camera today, body plus a 23mm pancake is 3800. Look like its 10 times better than the EOS M + 22mm pancake.

Lens still look panaplastic though.

A few made it out to press, it seems.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

WugLyfe posted:

A few made it out to press, it seems.

If that's a review of a production model and not a prototype, good lord what a piece of poo poo this camera is already.

Contrast detection, few external controls, no viewfinder, lovely ergonomics and a 3.5-5.6 kit lens for $2800?

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

It's almost like this is a luxury product that's going to sell for reasons other than appealing to spec nerds on the Internet

grack
Jan 10, 2012

TheJeffers posted:

It's almost like this is a luxury product that's going to sell for reasons other than appealing to spec nerds on the Internet

It's a luxury product that's going to sell despite being a massive piece of poo poo.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I will say I don't like the design of the body. It's very "cold". It doesn't match the design language of the traditional Leica lens nor the new plastic lens.

Speaking of futuristic design, I really like the design of that new Lytro camera. Too bad is a joke of a piece of poo poo.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 24, 2014

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
but it can use m glass with an adap.... so can every other mirrorless. Leica, just stop it already.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Musket posted:

just stop it already.

Why would they do that?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Why would they do that?

As horribly irritating as their fan base is, they do have a pretty good racket going on.

Having said that lol what a piece of poo poo, wondering if it's so stark and plain because it's actually just an upcoming Panasonic body except without the plastic and rubber added :v:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I really like this photo. It can be used in so many ways.

(In case SA image hosting hosed up, this one
http://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/32098431/Taifun_Body_cmyk09.0_standard_400.0.jpg )

Only registered members can see post attachments!

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 24, 2014

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
The Leica T chassis is milled from a solid block of aluminum, not something I see coming soon from a Lumix camera. That's also why the press is giddily comparing it to an Apple product. Also the sensor is apparently the same one as in the Nex 3N.
I'm sure they will sell all they can produce, and us spec nerds can sit around clenching our fists in anguish.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

RustedChrome posted:

The Leica T chassis is milled from a solid block of aluminum, not something I see coming soon from a Lumix camera. That's also why the press is giddily comparing it to an Apple product. Also the sensor is apparently the same one as in the Nex 3N.

:stonk:

RustedChrome posted:

I'm sure they will sell all they can produce, and us spec nerds can sit around clenching our fists in anguish.

You know, I think I'll be okay.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

whatever7 posted:

http://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/32098431/Taifun_Body_cmyk09.0_standard_400.0.jpg )

This is the most important person in the manufacturing process.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

SoundMonkey posted:

Sticker guy really is the heart and soul of Leica.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

whatever7 posted:

Okay, please tell me I'm not the only one that looks at that this picture and sees a Sony NEX camera with a slightly modified mount.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Mightaswell posted:

Sticker guy really is the heart and soul of Leica.

He dies of an aneurysm in the street, and the executives are like, "Well. It was a nice ride. Time to pack it up."

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

grack posted:

Okay, please tell me I'm not the only one that looks at that this picture and sees a Sony NEX camera with a slightly modified mount.
Only because their starting lens lineup actually makes sense.

A FAST NORMAL? WHAT THE HELL

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

grack posted:

Well it is using the sensor from the NEX-3N. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the electronics came from one too.

I can only imagine what kind profit Leica is getting since they're using such an old and lower grade sensor that the sensor and electronics can't cost that much. Then I find out that the body is milled from 1.2 kg of aluminum down to just 94 g. :stare:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/04/24/solid-metal-creating-the-leica-t/5

That's 92% of its original mass cut away which means an awful lot of machining, milling, waste material, and money. That body probably cost more than the sensor and electronics combined. As a mechanical engineer, I just feel appalled at all that waste.

So much for selling them for a high profit. :v:

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 24, 2014

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Edward IV posted:

Well it is using the sensor from the NEX-3N. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the electronics came from one too.

It's not just the sensor. The really blocky design and the adherence to a touchscreen interface over external controls fits the mould as well.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Isn't the Hasselblad Lunar a rebadged NEX-7 for a bajillion dollars, too?

SoundMonkey posted:

Well yeah, that sticker is the only thing keeping the Leica glow from leaking out everywhere. You need to keep that poo poo in your camera.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Costello Jello posted:

He dies of an aneurysm in the street, and the executives are like, "Well. It was a nice ride. Time to pack it up."

behold.

I will say that I am interested to see how well Leica did the menu system and touchscreen on this thing. If they really pulled off a good interface, then they deserve kudos. Most touch screen interfaces on digital cameras have amounted to: take existing interface, add touch screen; done. The result is poo poo.

Well, in the greater scheme of things, this camera means fuckall. Let's get back to speculating on the impending Fuji FF jump. :allears:

krooj fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 25, 2014

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Geektox posted:

Isn't the Hasselblad Lunar a rebadged NEX-7 for a bajillion dollars, too?

Yep.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

krooj posted:

behold.

I will say that I am interested to see how well Leica did the menu system and touchscreen on this thing. If they really pulled off a good interface, then they deserve kudos. Most touch screen interfaces on digital cameras have amounted to: take existing interface, add touch screen; done. The result is poo poo.

Well, in the greater scheme of things, this camera means fuckall. Let's get back to speculating on the impending Fuji FF jump. :allears:

If you're left eye dominant like me, would my nose constantly mash the DELETE PHOTO button? That would be :black101: for Leica's continued open antagonizing of its gullible customers.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

red19fire posted:

If you're left eye dominant like me, would my nose constantly mash the DELETE PHOTO button? That would be :black101: for Leica's continued open antagonizing of its gullible customers.

No doubt that there's gonna be tonnes of WTF with this cam. Doesn't change the fact that someone's getting it for their super sweet sixteen.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

red19fire posted:

Guess what, that won't be a problem!

There's no eye level viewfinder on the body, only an accessory port add-on

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

red19fire posted:

You can lock/unlock the LCD with a sliding motion, like the iPhone.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I tried reading the Steve Huff review for that new Nex Leica and threw up in my mouth. That is the most shameless dick sucking "review" I have ever read.

Some excerpts from the first two paragraphs:

"The Leica T is now a reality and yes, I have had the pleasure to shoot with one for the past 8 or 9 days and I will go on record to state that this is in no way like a Sony NEX, no way like a Fuji X and no way like a Micro 4/3 Olympus or Panasonic. It is indeed a REAL Leica digital, inside and out but a NEW Leica experience. "

"Finally… Leica decided to deliver a German-made HIGH QUALITY interchangeable lens body camera that is a bit different and more unique from anything else out there with a very high level of “pride of ownership”. The Leica T is created from a solid block of Aluminum..a “Unibody” … much like the sweet Apple designs (macbook pro) that are currently on the market. But not only is the build and design up there with the best (if not the best) of APS-C cameras,"

:ughh:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Oh god I actually read part of the review and

The Leica T will start shipping at the end of May 2014 and there will NOT be a kit lens option, it will be sold as a body only. The camera will ship alongside two launch lenses, a very nice almost perfect 18-56 f/3.5-f/5.6 zoom (giving a 28-85 equivalent) and a 23mm f/2 (35 summicron f/2 equivalent). Both lenses coming in at just under $1700 and $1900 respectively, which yes, is on the pricey side, especially for the zoom

Plus $1850 for the body

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
can't wait til our boy k-rock gets one