Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

dis astranagant posted:

Enemies quit respawning after you kill them a bunch of times?

Yes. You'll get an item later that can respawn areas (including bosses) if burned in the bonfire connected to it. Use with caution though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kimmalah posted:

Yes. You'll get an item later that can respawn areas (including bosses) if burned in the bonfire connected to it. Use with caution though.

I just wanted to kill bigmans til my mace hit level 3 :saddowns:

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

TheQat posted:

after exiting the corridor where you can see the first bonfire in Majula, make a right u-turn around the stone wall

Great! Thanks to you and the other people who answered. I'd have spent forever trying to find that

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The sounds in this game are making my dog bark up a wall. 0/10

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

dis astranagant posted:

You mean upgraded your mace to +3? There are very easy ways to do that that don't involve killing bigmans over and over gain. Like it only takes 6 titanite shards, and you can just buy those.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Is steam just making GBS threads the bed right now?
I pre-loaded the game, but I guess there's like this last 1% that I need to download to "unlock" it, and it won't download.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

Go to other places and kill even bigger mans! :)

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

I think you just made Abe :stare:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Archenteron posted:

I think you just made Abe :stare:

Uho!
If it's the Abe I think you're talking about, it doesn't look much like him.

Mechanical mandible
Aug 4, 2007

So after getting as far as the first boss, there's two points that spring to mind:

1)God this game is fun

2)This game feels waaay more alive when it comes to online stuff. There's constantly ghosts fading in and out, plus the ground is littered with summon signs/messages/bloodstains. It's night and day compared to the first Dark Souls.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

dis astranagant posted:

Enemies quit respawning after you kill them a bunch of times?

Most do, there are a few exceptions. You can use a Bonfire Ascetic to respawn an area, but keep in mind that this will also up the difficulty of everything linked to that bonfire to NG+, including bosses (you'll also get NG+ levels of souls from them). This will also, however, respawn items you find on corpses and in wooden chest (does not restore metal chests or shopkeeper inventories). In addition (NG+ spoilers), there are additional items you can find in some areas on NG+, and the four Great Soul bosses will drop an additional soul that you can use to get some really powerful boss weapons.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kimmalah posted:

Go to other places and kill even bigger mans! :)

Haven't seen any bigger than the ones in totally-not-Anor-Londo.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mechanical mandible posted:

So after getting as far as the first boss, there's two points that spring to mind:

1)God this game is fun

2)This game feels waaay more alive when it comes to online stuff. There's constantly ghosts fading in and out, plus the ground is littered with summon signs/messages/bloodstains. It's night and day compared to the first Dark Souls.
Yeah, I am loving the interaction in-game. Being summoned as a Shade lasts for like 3 minutes and is a really easy way to get full humanity back.

edit: Any builds particularly fun? I was trying to just start playing and see what I needed, but I have no idea what actually ends up working well. Right now I've got a sword/shield thing going while I test things out, but I'm not really investing too much in stats beyond ADP which seems universally useful. I'm not looking for anything overpowered, just comments on what people are having the most fun using.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 25, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Also with bonfire ascetics, be really careful which bonfire in an area you use them on if you specifically want the boss to respawn (or don't). It will only work on the area for that particular bonfire, not the whole thing.

dis astranagant posted:

Haven't seen any bigger than the ones in totally-not-Anor-Londo.

Not even the giant?

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
I've been trying to use Blue Eye Orbs to no avail. Immediately get "Unable to find sinners" message when I use it - it doesn't even seem to search. Also haven't been summoned in as a Protector yet. Are there just no invaders around yet? I've done a bunch of co-op sessions with no problem.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

^^^^^ People are still wandering around the starting areas and stuff like headless chickens. Give it time.

Mechanical mandible posted:

Because for some bizarre reason with Dark Souls they divided players amongst several severs, the online code on PC was also total garbage and if GFWL was having a bad day the online functionality would poo poo itself.

DKS2 now has a master server like Demon Souls, so you actually see a lot of other players. Also no GFWL causing bizarre glitches.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 25, 2014

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I haven't even reached the first boss and I've already noticed a sharp decline in difficulty as you progress.

Why is the early game so loving hard? It's dumb.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

jsr v2.0 posted:

I've been trying to use Blue Eye Orbs to no avail. Immediately get "Unable to find sinners" message when I use it - it doesn't even seem to search. Also haven't been summoned in as a Protector yet. Are there just no invaders around yet? I've done a bunch of co-op sessions with no problem.

You have to be a member of a certain covenant to use them. If you have that part covered, it may just take time for people to need defenders and accumulate enough sin to be punished.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

jsr v2.0 posted:

You gotta spam the blue orb. If it doesn't find someone immediately it stops there. Most of the time it'll find someone after a couple of uses. Tho you can only invade Sinners (10 or more points of sin, from killing NPCs or hosts) and there might not be many within your soul memory bracket

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I haven't even reached the first boss and I've already noticed a sharp decline in difficulty as you progress.

Why is the early game so loving hard? It's dumb.

It'll get harder again once you finish the first boss and move to the next area. That's just DS difficulty. It's all front-loaded because it's inherently "fair" and the challenge comes from learning how to kill each area's enemies

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So something I had to learn the hard way by wasting effigies trying to get my health back:

You BURN effigies to block invasions.

There's a separate USE command for effigies to become a human to regain your health (and manly mustache).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
How easy/hard is it to get effigies? I prefer to stay human all the way through, so where do I need to go to start farming these things?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I thought the blacksmith was supposed to give me a hammer if I bought a bunch of stuff off him. I bought my mace and all his titanite, plus upgrades one the mace and he's still not forking it over.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Mordiceius posted:

How easy/hard is it to get effigies? I prefer to stay human all the way through, so where do I need to go to start farming these things?

They're not unlimited. Dogs can drop them though. Vendors sell 'em in limited supplies. Couple chests here and there have them.

If you want to just stay human use the small white soapstone and help someone for a couple minutes til you go back to your own world.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Use a Small White Soapstone instead, you don't have to farm, just kill a few dudes, Duty Fulfilled, and you get Humanity back along with a Smooth and Silky Stone.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

I haven't found them too hard to find. There's one in the hut you start in and the merchant Melentia sells 5 right off. There are plenty of ways to stay human eventually though, so you don't have to burn through them.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

There's also the Rings of (life/soul) protection which prevent lost of humanity and souls if you die. They break but you can repair them.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Get used to the fact that you'll spend most of the game with half your health missing.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

dis astranagant posted:

I thought the blacksmith was supposed to give me a hammer if I bought a bunch of stuff off him. I bought my mace and all his titanite, plus upgrades one the mace and he's still not forking it over.

Are you selecting Talk? He won't just fork it over unless you choose talk.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Get used to the fact that you'll spend most of the game with half your health missing.

There's a ring to prevent that unless you're a HUGE sinner.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Where do you get the soapstones?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Where are the first two maces located again?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Lord Lambeth posted:

Where do you get the soapstones?

Cathedral area of the Forest, you can get two.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Leadthumb posted:

Is steam just making GBS threads the bed right now?
I pre-loaded the game, but I guess there's like this last 1% that I need to download to "unlock" it, and it won't download.

Preloads are encrypted. Decrypting takes a while.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

There's a ring to prevent that unless you're a HUGE sinner.

Well I'm a loving boyscout so where is this ring at?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Cathedral of the Blue.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Will I get humanity from getting and using the regular soapstone or only small white? I want to become a sunbro.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Will I get humanity from getting and using the regular soapstone or only small white? I want to become a sunbro.

Both of them.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
It's no PizzaLawyer420, but I found a great message already:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

Where are the first two maces located again?

There's a break in the rocks near the path when you first enter Majula, you can jump down on the to cliffs on the very edge of the coast.

A place called The Cathedral of Blue, in a chest right in front of the fog gate. There's some tough enemies on the way though, so be ready! The area kind of splits at one point, the Cathedral is left as you're coming in.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 25, 2014