Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Smirr posted:

Let's go back to the Minnesota guy who executed two teens for a second (http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/3147490/posts?q=1&;page=101):

If anything, this guy who methodically killed two unarmed teenagers should be getting the First Annual Grover Norquist Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Fiscal Conservatism.

Not only it is horrible, but I hate this theme overall.

Police and Fire response is actually super cheap. Untaxed fuel from city works, cost of tapwater and most the time some simple and cheap medical stuff.

Fire trucks as heavy trucks often, gather wear and tear in just sitting still.

The cost is in the readiness of law enforcement and fire rescue.
While in readiness, it actually costs very little to have them do stuff around the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Mercury_Storm posted:

Question for people who have subjected themselves to freep for a while:

How would a thread go that was titled "What's so bad about racism?"

or another thread titled "Is racism a liberal ploy?"

A lot of Freepers seem to desperately want to distance themselves from being seen as racist, but how many of them actually believe in the concept of racism itself, or even have the ability to process that type of thought beyond: "a racist is something I don't want to be seen as"?

I've asked myself this question too, unfortunately it would take poop touching to test.

I expect various flavors of "of course its liberal because liberals are racist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" or "I just know the facts and facts can't be racist, now let me tell you about urban ferals..."

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Mercury_Storm posted:

Question for people who have subjected themselves to freep for a while:

How would a thread go that was titled "What's so bad about racism?"

or another thread titled "Is racism a liberal ploy?"

A lot of Freepers seem to desperately want to distance themselves from being seen as racist, but how many of them actually believe in the concept of racism itself, or even have the ability to process that type of thought beyond: "a racist is something I don't want to be seen as"?

There have been direct quotes of freepers saying racism is good. It is kind of like the Lincoln issue, half of them will be talking about how he is republican (and good) while others will be saying he was a women hating racist (democrat) while others range about the war of northern aggression.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah. I suspect that the consensus (or as near a thing as freep will form) is that racism for the sake of racism is bad. However racism based on :biotruths: and the True Nature of the urban feral is just being realistic and honest.

Basically, as long as you don't say the n-word you're not racist or a bad person.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

cafel posted:

'Why is urban music so full of anger and frustration and hopelessness? Oh well, gotta go support the war on drugs, slashing food stamps and a return to segregated schools.'

Also the Beastie Boys, Eminem and Macklemore never existed, and if they had they would have been run out of the industry because of reverse racism. God, every line of this post is annoying the poo poo out of me and I'm not even a huge rap fan.

Dont forget that Classical music isn't exactly peaceful either! There were literally riots over the use of Bassoons.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cafel posted:

'Why is urban music so full of anger and frustration and hopelessness? Oh well, gotta go support the war on drugs, slashing food stamps and a return to segregated schools.'

Also the Beastie Boys, Eminem and Macklemore never existed, and if they had they would have been run out of the industry because of reverse racism. God, every line of this post is annoying the poo poo out of me and I'm not even a huge rap fan.

God I wish macklemore never existed.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm pretty sure that I've seen Freepers say that the concept of racism didn't exist until Leninism or something, and therefore racism was invented by leftists.

OAquinas posted:

Basically, as long as you don't say the n-word you're not racist or a bad person.

Freep has a simplified understanding of racism that basically boils down to you can only be racist if you say "I hate blacks because their skin color is black." To them even if you say the n-word it's not necessarily racist, and they'll reference that Chris Rock bit to try and support it (a bit that Chris Rock has said he'll never do again because of racists using it to justify their racism). Though of course they'll steer clear of actually saying the word and delete posts that have it because despite this they're still aware they'll look bad if they say it outright.

But yeah their understanding of it means that as far as they're concerned saying the things they do is just "telling it like it is" and not actually racist.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Install Windows posted:

God I wish macklemore never existed.
Shut your trap, The Heist is a great album and complaining about Thrift Shop is like complaining about The Real Slim Shady or Hey Ya without listening to the rest of the album and realizing that everybody puts a catchy pop tune in their number two spot.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jonked posted:

Shut your trap, The Heist is a great album and complaining about Thrift Shop is like complaining about The Real Slim Shady or Hey Ya without listening to the rest of the album and realizing that everybody puts a catchy pop tune in their number two spot.

Real Slim Shady and Hey Ya own, Macklemore is trash all around. poo poo's practically pirate rap.

Augmentropy
May 26, 2013

Jonked posted:

Except for the fact that Hey Ya! is awesome, as is the album it comes from. :colbert:

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Augmentropy posted:

Except for the fact that Hey Ya! is awesome, as is the album it comes from. :colbert:
Hey Ya is a terrible rap song in the same sense that Black Hole Sun is a terrible rap song, and the larger point is that it doesn't accurately reflect the rest of the album. Except I messed up that analogy because Black Hole Sun actually does reflect the rest of the album it comes on, so yeah.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

Jonked posted:

Please don't talk about rap music.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm pretty sure that I've seen Freepers say that the concept of racism didn't exist until Leninism or something, and therefore racism was invented by leftists.

Well, they have something in common with Stormfront then:

quote:

"Racist" -- A Word Invented by USSR's Leon Trotsky
http://www.stormfront.org/forum/t913955/

The word "racist" has for a long time been the single most effective fear-word in the leftist and neoconservative arsenal. For decades, they have successfully used it in the political arena to slander traditionalists, shut down debate, and leave opponents running for cover. In the social arena, they have caused even more damage by using it to brainwash impressionable children and young college students, and to teach people to hate their nation, their cultural traditions, and worst of all, themselves.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jonked posted:

Anyone who complained about "Hey Ya!" should lose all right to ever criticize pop music forever. It's easily one of the most perfect pop songs ever written.

Install Windows posted:

Real Slim Shady and Hey Ya own, Macklemore is trash all around. poo poo's practically pirate rap.

If you're looking for a better group, check out Atmosphere. They're local to the Twin Cities and never quite broke nationally, but they're fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpqOWO6ctsg

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013
I'd rather not have this turn into an Onion AVClub "Check out nerdy rap artists that me - someone who doesn't listen to rap - enjoys!" thread please.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

pd187 posted:

I'd rather not have this turn into an Onion AVClub "Check out nerdy rap artists that me - someone who doesn't listen to rap - enjoys!" thread please.
You realize that complaining about authenticity makes you sound like the 35 year old guy writing for Rolling Stones, right?

Anyways, have so JoePa oldies from a PA resident:

quote:

To: FlJoePa

Joe was/is a conservative icon

of course the media wanted to destroy him going into an election cycle. chum in the water for liberals

3 posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2012 7:53:46 PM by sten (fighting tyranny never goes out of style)

quote:

To: who_would_fardels_bear
Regardless of what exactly Paterno knew and when he knew it, he had the power to kick Sandusky out of Happy Valley and he chose not to do so.

Any one who believes that, much less says, it needs a head rearrangement. His name was Joe Paterno not Joe Stalin and this is America not the Soviet Union.
5 posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2012 8:02:19 PM by Uncle Chip

Hmm, yes, well this not exactly anything new from Happy Valley residents and their chant of "We are..."
Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi?

quote:

To: FlJoePa; Anima Mundi; ebiskit; TenthAmendmentChampion; Obadiah; Mind-numbed Robot; A.Hun; ...

I watched the video, and I’m gonna bookmark it. I have sent the link to a daughter living in State College, Pa.

The great difficulty is that the video is a “talking head” exercise, and the “heads” talk about things that would require study to really validate their points. I am willing to follow the argument, because I am suspicious of journalism as an institution and thus open to the possibility that the journalists - and their followers, chiefly but not exclusively "liberals,” - have got it all wrong. Again. As they did in the Duke Lacrosse “scandal,” and so many other uproars which journalism creates out of whole cloth.

We have just had a disastrous election, in which our turnout was successfully suppressed and, if I have it straight, Romney got even fewer votes than John McCain did. All while a flaming Benghazi catastrophe is stonewalled by all of journalism except Fox News. We were defeated by journalism. Note that that assumes that journalism is a single institution, which seems fantastic. But it is perfectly true:

People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices. It is impossible indeed to prevent such meetings, by any law which either could be executed, or would be consistent with liberty and justice. But though the law cannot hinder people of the same trade from sometimes assembling together, it ought to do nothing to facilitate such assemblies; much less to render them necessary. - Wealth of nations, Book I, Ch 10

. . . and the AP (or any other wire service), whatever else it is, is a continuous virtual “meeting” of “people of the same trade” of journalism. Which means that journalism outlets are as cooperative as they are competitive. And more so.

As churlish as it will seem to “rehash” Benghazi immediately after the reelection of Obama, it is vital that this be done. Not with a view to impeaching the president in the aftermath of his reelection, but as a means of attacking wire service journalism. The FCC and the broadcast journalists should be called to account over this. Broadcast journalism, which is licensed and even promoted by the FCC as if it were a public good, has functioned to systematically suppress a scandal which had obvious bearing on a presidential election. I want the FCC commissioners to answer the question of whether that behavior has any relation to objectivity. And if they admit that it did not, they would have to answer as to what sanctions those collusive journalists and their licensed broadcasters face. Of course they cannot admit that, so it will boil down to simply another cause celebre' of Talk Radio and the Internet. But it must at least be that.

Benghazi was systematically suppressed during the “debates” - with “neutral” moderators systematically taking the Democrat side and turning what should have been a slam dunk case for the Republicans into a seemingly baseless charge. Not forgetting that CBS had the goods on Obama, and suppressed it. Should CBS affiliates’ FCC licenses be revoked, and assigned to Fox News? Why not?

NBC’s reporter - and former Clinton political operative - George Stephanopolis launched the Democrats' “Republican War on Women” meme by asking a question of the Republican candidates for the Republican nomination about birth control. That could arguably be an issue in a general election campaign, but was not a subject of contention within the Republican Party. Should there be any consequences for Mr. Stephanopolis’ career working for an FCC-licensed entity?? Why not?

I am constantly amazed at the way Benghazi is framed, even by conservatives. Yes, the net result of the administration’s maladroit if not malevolent handling of the incident was the death of the Ambassador and three others. But the issue the White House thought it was addressing was not the fate of four Americans but more like forty. It was apparently only the valor of men who disobeyed orders which prevented the much larger casualty toll. Some, at least, of whom were among the dead. Were any of the survivors also in valiant disobedience of orders? And if so what should, and what will, be the effect on their careers?

Hillary, like Janet Reno in re Waco, “took responsibility.” What should, and what will, be the effect on her career?

6 posted on Thursday, November 08, 2012 4:16:45 AM by conservatism_IS_compassion (The idea around which “liberalism" coheres is that NOTHING actually matters except PR.)

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

pd187 posted:

I think the only person who said they don't listen to rap is me, and I never suggested a band because I don't listen to rap. Though I did enjoy 'Hey Ya!' when it was on the radio.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Dont forget that Classical music isn't exactly peaceful either! There were literally riots over the use of Bassoons.

Ah, the Germans :allears:. Truly a peaceful and civilized stock, unlike those ferals listening to their Jazz and Swing music.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
if they think Katie Couric's questuons were unfair does that mean that they themselves would be baffled by "what newspapers do you read?"

I mean, if you can expand it to general news sources they'd all be able to say Rush, Hannity (yes even after this current thing) Levin, Daily Mail, Breitbart, etc.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

A Freeper posted:

We have just had a disastrous election, in which our turnout was successfully suppressed

How so? 2 New Black Panthers at a polling station in Philly holding the door open? What?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I was afraid they'd show up at my rural Wyoming polling station next!

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Benghazi was systematically suppressed during the “debates” - with “neutral” moderators systematically taking the Democrat side 
One moderator says three words and suddenly it's a problem so big we have to abuse the word "systematically"?

Edit: i just noticed that their quarterly goal is 85 THOUSAND? It takes more than three hundred thousand dollars a year to run Freep???

Duke Igthorn fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 25, 2014

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Duke Igthorn posted:

One moderator says three words and suddenly it's a problem so big we have to abuse the word "systematically"?

Edit: i just noticed that their quarterly goal is 85 THOUSAND? It takes more than three hundred thousand dollars a year to run Freep???

To most freepers, computers and servers are akin to magical artifacts, and you all know that phoenix feathers and leprechaun gold is very expensive and hard to acquire.

EDIT: Freepers that do know a thing or two about running websites and the associated costs wisely shut up about it, because questioning the budget or wanting to see expense reports will result in swift zotting and public shaming for not possessing faith in the cause.

Erenthal fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 25, 2014

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mercury_Storm posted:

Well, they have something in common with Stormfront then:

Ah yeah it was Trotsky, not Lenin. Whoops.

Erenthal posted:

EDIT: Freepers that do know a thing or two about running websites and the associated costs wisely shut up about it, because questioning the budget or wanting to see expense reports will result in swift zotting and public shaming for not possessing faith in the cause.

Wasn't there a thing on the Freep Facebook when the site went down where a guy said it was really strange that it cost so much to run the server and that he could host it for much less?

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Twelve by Pies posted:

Ah yeah it was Trotsky, not Lenin. Whoops.

Wasn't there a thing on the Freep Facebook when the site went down where a guy said it was really strange that it cost so much to run the server and that he could host it for much less?

I believe so. But you must also see, according to Jimbo and the established Freep-narrative (freepative?) they can't use just any host, since they're all run by liberals and would just log the members names for the coming FEMA death squads. Freeps servers are "custom built" for security, and kept in a safe, conservative-run, location that only Jimbo and his brood can access.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Jonked posted:

You realize that complaining about authenticity makes you sound like the 35 year old guy writing for Rolling Stones, right?

I'm a 33 year old guy with a subscription to Rolling Stone and I imagine their youngest staff writer is fifty.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Georgia Peach posted:

Katie "The Cutthroat" Couric

Ahahahaha, Jesus loving Christ. Yes, Katie "The Cutthroat" Couric, who asks such hard-hitting questions as "What news publications do you read?"

Erenthal posted:

I believe so. But you must also see, according to Jimbo and the established Freep-narrative (freepative?) they can't use just any host, since they're all run by liberals and would just log the members names for the coming FEMA death squads. Freeps servers are "custom built" for security, and kept in a safe, conservative-run, location that only Jimbo and his brood can access.

They also need to be replaced each fiscal year because {insert vaguely technical bullshit here}, so open your wallets and donate to the JimRob Endless Soup, Salad And Breadsticks Fund Freepathon.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

nucleicmaxid posted:

This username/post combo is the best.

They've literally been discussing the guy who just said that blacks were better under slavery for the past page or two in this very thread!

Yeah, but those assholes aren't reading thus thread. Jesus.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
One thing I've noticed is that the self defense plea has become as much of a joke as the insanity plea was in the 90's. The culture is rapidly changing in a way that I didn't think would ever happen.

...I think what's most frighting about all of this is that this man tortured and murdered two teenagers in the same way and with the same enjoyment as a psychopath would, but he seems to have thought it was legal because he committed this horrific crime in his own home.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

cafel posted:

Ah, the Germans :allears:. Truly a peaceful and civilized stock, unlike those ferals listening to their Jazz and Swing music.

:( What do we have to do with that? Stravinsky was Russian/French/American and the riot was in Paris.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ikanreed posted:

Yeah, but those assholes aren't reading thus thread. Jesus.

There actually is a Freep thread about us, but posting excerpts from either thread in the other is a bannable/zottable offense on each site. For obvious reasons.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
So I see creepers and stormfront era bring up this criticism a lot and I don't quite understand it, maybe this thread can shed some light.

Basically they talk about 'Frankfurt school' and 'critical theory' indoctrination. This criticism has been levied at me and others and I don't quite follow what the actual problem is.

Firstly I don't subscribe to the Frankfurt school of thought (as I understand it), yet I am told I do.

Secondly, what specifically is the issue with critical theory and in what sense of the term are they using it? Thanks.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Ocrassus posted:

So I see creepers and stormfront era bring up this criticism a lot and I don't quite understand it, maybe this thread can shed some light.

Basically they talk about 'Frankfurt school' and 'critical theory' indoctrination. This criticism has been levied at me and others and I don't quite follow what the actual problem is.

Firstly I don't subscribe to the Frankfurt school of thought (as I understand it), yet I am told I do.

Secondly, what specifically is the issue with critical theory and in what sense of the term are they using it? Thanks.

For both, it's just another way to say "you are a stinkin' commie!"

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ocrassus posted:

Well, I wouldn't think too much of it, since they themselves don't understand it. They only use the terms since they are parroting what they've been told by Beck or Hannity or whatever other right-wing guru that happens to be in vougue this week.

See for instance "Alinskyism", that popped up like a bad rash a while back. Almost none of them have any deeper understanding of what it is even supposed to mean, but they know it means "bad", since that's what they've been told.

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate

Erenthal posted:

Well, I wouldn't think too much of it, since they themselves don't understand it. They only use the terms since they are parroting what they've been told by Beck or Hannity or whatever other right-wing guru that happens to be in vougue this week.

See for instance "Alinskyism", that popped up like a bad rash a while back. Almost none of them have any deeper understanding of what it is even supposed to mean, but they know it means "bad", since that's what they've been told.

It all boils down to "liberal = bad, conservative = good" being extrapolated into a logic system where good and conservative are always synonymous, and the same with bad and liberal. That's why violence is a liberal tactic, despite their constant call for war and support of the execution of teenagers. They know it's "bad." This means any term that they can associate with being liberal can be used as an insult, because all it means to them is "bad." And similarly, any crazy right-wing person who does something they don't agree with (or don't publicly admit to agreeing with) is a liberal plant, even if that person does something that they constantly talk about doing themselves.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ghetto Prince posted:

One thing I've noticed is that the self defense plea has become as much of a joke as the insanity plea was in the 90's. The culture is rapidly changing in a way that I didn't think would ever happen.

Difference being that people actually do get away by pleading self defense, while odds are that you'll end with a needle in your arm even if you were chasing butterflies in court.

e:

VitalSigns posted:

There actually is a Freep thread about us, but posting excerpts from either thread in the other is a bannable/zottable offense on each site. For obvious reasons.
What?

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 25, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

VitalSigns posted:

Is this actually true?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

DoctorWhat posted:

Is this actually true?

Evilweasel held a FReep infiltration contest about five years back that they got wind of, but I haven't seen any indication that they're aware of us since.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Is this actually true?

No I was just yankin' your chain, sorry :laugh:

Zeroisanumber posted:

Evilweasel held a FReep infiltration contest about five years back that they got wind of, but I haven't seen any indication that they're aware of us since.

But I would love to read this if it's still knocking around the archives somewhere!

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Ocrassus posted:

Do you criticize modern society and use the social sciences to reflect upon and suggest improvements to our status quo? Are you simply a liberal with a degree in, like, anthropology? Then you are part of a creeping communist plot to engulf the entire world in an Anti-Christian, Anti-Capitalist Demon-State.

Seriously, the terms as used by right wingers are cloaked in conspiracy theories and only tangentially connected to reality. The Fabian Society, for example, had its moment in the spotlight after Beck or some such declared it to be the center of an Illuminati web to infiltrate our society and convert us to godless communism last year. All those people who were worried about fluoride being a Communist plot in the 50s? They didn't go away just because the Soviet Union collapsed, they're still on the look out for the terrible NWO plot. It's just that now they have their own cable channel from 8pm to 4am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

DoctorWhat posted:

Is this actually true?

Shh! The spacetime continuum can't be disturbed! Biden doesn't mess around like Gore did with that...

• Locked thread