Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
What the gently caress man, I get summoned by the same dude again (named Apollo) and I'm standing around waiting for whatever the gently caress he's trying to do to happen, and I start swinging at him and it's doing like 10 durability damage a hit to my sword hahaha what the gently caress.

Hackers already man, fuckin hackers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

The netcode is still such a huge bummer. I keep getting backstabbed while I'm facing people. :smith:

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

NuckmasterJ posted:

gently caress man, I wasn't planning on buying a controller just for one game. Seriously what the gently caress, how hard would it of been to map out decent keyboard/mouse controls?

If it's not that hard, you do it. You can remap them you know.

(get a controller)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NuckmasterJ posted:

gently caress man, I wasn't planning on buying a controller just for one game. Seriously what the gently caress, how hard would it of been to map out decent keyboard/mouse controls?

3rd person action games always blow chunks on mouse and keyboard. If you don't own a console already (you could just use those controllers) just go buy a wired 360 controller used from gamestop for like $20. Its the best PC controller because it'll work with everything perfectly and you won't need batteries or a dongle or anything.

How hard? Pretty hard! Ever tried playing devil may cry on mouse and keyboard? It just doesn't work dude.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

McGrady posted:

I checked 3-4 pages back. Is summoning working pretty good in DS2 on PC? I assume it should be -- is it working as well as it was on the PS3? No horrible summoning failed over and over like DS1 on PC?

Yes of course you get summoning failed over and over.

You guys must not understand how the system worked. "Summoning Failed" doesn't mean the network is loving up. It means somebody else already summoned that person you were trying to.

If you're having trouble summoning, buy the ring of etched names or whatever its called from Shalqouir in Majula. Then set it to blood god, and whala, problem solved.

You may not see as many summon signs though, tell other goons to get the ring too and pick blood god.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
The game plays fine with M+KB with rebinding pretty much all the default binds. It doesn't solve the mouse input delay though, which is all on FROM.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The framerate, oh god the framerate, I think I'm going tohnnnnnnghghgfhhhgghgh :buddy:

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
I'm a level 36 Knight with a Shortsword and Large Leather Shield. Is it worth saving that Soul of the Last Giant, or is that axe not great?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

This thread totally lied, its not steam name its character name that shows up in multiplayer.

I've made a huge mistake :ohdear:

poptart_fairy posted:

The framerate, oh god the framerate, I think I'm going tohnnnnnnghghgfhhhgghgh :buddy:

Oh yeah, its SUCH an improvement. PS3 runs at like 15-30fps, 360 runs at like 20-40fps but with horrible screen tearing.

Solid 60fps 24/7 with no tearing at 1080p with AA :cool:

Doctor Albatross posted:

I'm a level 36 Knight with a Shortsword and Large Leather Shield. Is it worth saving that Soul of the Last Giant, or is that axe not great?

That's all you can use it for.

Some souls do have multiple uses like in DS1, but some don't. That one's just for the axe. (or crack it for souls)

Its not my favorite axe in the game, but its not bad. Dunno, you'll have to try it for yourself.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 25, 2014

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
So last night I teamed up with good people for bosses and one-shot everything up to a certain lovely repeat of a certain lovely boss from DS1 (Belfry Gargoyles) that consistently turns into a gangbang of large, angry monsters easily surrounding me and making GBS threads flame everywhere. Still, I'm really liking the PC port, and the increased framerate really turns it into a whole new experience. Also, it's a lot of fun running around doing Bellbro invasions like this:

Well, ended up looking more like Krishna than Tobias, but it was worth a shot.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

^ There's other places you could probably go right now if you want to put that fight off. But its honestly not so bad.

The real boss of that area is the Bell Keepers. There probably aren't that many yet, but in a couple days here the bellfrys are going to turn into non-loving-stop invasion town

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Some souls do have multiple uses like in DS1, but some don't. That one's just for the axe. (or crack it for souls)

Its not my favorite axe in the game, but its not bad. Dunno, you'll have to try it for yourself.

Yeah, it's just that I'm pretty weak at the moment, and grinding souls is pretty tedious. That soul is worth 6,000.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

God the DS4 is so good for this game.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

Fat_Cow posted:

God the DS4 is so good for this game.

Agreed. I installed TocaEdit 360 Controller Emulator, plugged the DS4 in and no troubles.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
Can you only save by using the "save and quit" feature? Or does the game also save every time you use a bonfire?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Carwash posted:

Can you only save by using the "save and quit" feature? Or does the game also save every time you use a bonfire?

The game saves just about any time you do anything, honestly.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Dr. Carwash posted:

The game saves constantly. You never have to worry about it.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
This is DS2 thread why you already talking about DS4 :holy:

The control in this game feels less analog and more 8-way movement than the first one to me. Am I going crazy or what?

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Whew, finally got my drat DS4 working after uninstalling the drivers for MotionInJoy from the device manager, and clicking the Hide DS4 controllers box in the wrapper. Now, time to-oh, hey, it's time to go to work.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Barfing Cumlord posted:

The game saves constantly. You never have to worry about it.

Pomp posted:

The game saves just about any time you do anything, honestly.

kk thanks guys.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Jack Trades posted:

Actually, you should read ToS.
"Excluding the games listed above [that are all Source games], VAC bans will only apply to the game the cheat was detected in. For example, a VAC ban in Modern Warfare 2 will not affect Modern Warfare 3."

So according to Valve's own rules, VAC bans from any other game should not affect Dark Souls in any way.

Those are not rules and you should not rely on them. I was actually referring to the subscriber agreement.

Term 4 of the agreement posted:

(...)You acknowledge and agree that either Valve or any online multiplayer host may refuse to allow you to participate in certain online multiplayer games if you use Cheats in connection with Steam or the Software. Further, you acknowledge and agree that an online multiplayer host may report your use of Cheats to Valve, and Valve may communicate your history of use of Cheats to other online multiplayer hosts (...)

You should be very careful about cheating (and using any dlls or other software that may trip any kind of anti-cheat system) because you can actually lose the ability to play other multiplayer games.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So now I'm doing my Dark Souls II Researchtm and I have a question about the bonfire ascetics: So to get around the despawning enemies, you can respawn everything with a bonfire ascetic, but it respawns everything at a NG+ level higher. Does it still cap out at NG+7 like Dark Souls 1? Can you keep using bonfire ascetics to respawn things once you hit the cap, letting you farm indefinitely so long as you can handle NG+7 dudes?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

Don't suppose anyone else who had the crash on desktop bug can share their secret of how they got it to work? I've tried the stuff on the Steam forums and still no luck.

amd card? i didnt need any fix but it worked for me straight away and im using a samsung tv at 1080p through hdmi on a 6970. using cats 13.4 though since i only upgrade drivers when im having an issue or some poo poo, (yeah im lazy) might be worth trying them if all else fails. (not even sure what the current cats are at these days?)

anyway i have no second monitor either or anything else connected to pc and a 360 wired pad.

i've heard stuff about it being gpu scaling and i think that's on. im not at home at the moment so i cant check that for sure.

hope it helps.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes of course you get summoning failed over and over.

You guys must not understand how the system worked. "Summoning Failed" doesn't mean the network is loving up. It means somebody else already summoned that person you were trying to.

Actually there is a separate message for when you fail a summon because someone else summoned them now.
That said, I don't assume "summoning failed" is always the network loving up. It may also apply to newbies who keep moving their signs around in an attempt to "refresh the summon," just like DS1.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Cowcaster posted:

So now I'm doing my Dark Souls II Researchtm and I have a question about the bonfire ascetics: So to get around the despawning enemies, you can respawn everything with a bonfire ascetic, but it respawns everything at a NG+ level higher. Does it still cap out at NG+7 like Dark Souls 1? Can you keep using bonfire ascetics to respawn things once you hit the cap, letting you farm indefinitely so long as you can handle NG+7 dudes?

You can continue to ascetic bonfires as much as you like, as long as you can handle the NG+7 dudes

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

Yes.

Note that Unlike Dark Souls 1, in Dark Souls 2 NG+ isn't just the same game but harder. There's several weapons and spells you can't get until NG+, and they also move around enemy placement and add several new enemy spawns that weren't there in NG :) Some boss fights are even changed up. Good luck!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there any way to bypass the 16:9 aspect ratio lock without stretching the image? Black bars taking 20% of screen space is annoying me to no end.
I can't believe that they promised that DS2 will support any resolution on PC and then lock the god drat aspect ratio like on DS1 port.
Even more ridiculous is the fact that apparently (according to a console-playing friend of mine) console versions can be played on 4:3 screens without any letterboxing.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

Zaphod42 posted:

This thread totally lied, its not steam name its character name that shows up in multiplayer.

I've made a huge mistake :ohdear:

Oh yeah, its SUCH an improvement. PS3 runs at like 15-30fps, 360 runs at like 20-40fps but with horrible screen tearing.

Solid 60fps 24/7 with no tearing at 1080p with AA :cool:

Retaining the giant's soul in your inventory may have other uses.

It might allow you to do more damage against King Drangleic. The damage you can do to him is dependent on how many giant's souls you have in your inventory, so that one might count towards that

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Dezztroy posted:

The game plays fine with M+KB with rebinding pretty much all the default binds. It doesn't solve the mouse input delay though, which is all on FROM.

Yup, I have no problem at all with the over-the-shoulder POV. There is some weird mouse input lag (or mismatch w.r.t. keyboard input) which makes doing stuff like guard breaks hard via mouse attack. That's on FROM, not the genre or POV. Tons of menu options still say to click whatever controller button instead of the actual key the command is bound to; that's on FROM, again, not a particular reason to make a person 'buy a controller!!!!' Finally, apparently you can just bind 2-3 mouse buttons instead of others you may have via the default rebind menu. Again, that's on FROM, not some intrinsic aspect of the gameplay that would make one want to go out and buy a controller. It's just a lazy port of the controls.

Rolling? No problem. Freelooking around and fighting in non-lockon combat? No problem. I have zero desire for a controller except for the aspects mentioned above, which are a lack of effort/QA by FROM. I've figured out the menu controls and can live without using all my mouse buttons, so it's really down to figuring out the best way to handle things like guard break / jump attack.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

evilskillit posted:

Retaining the giant's soul in your inventory may have other uses.

It might allow you to do more damage against King Drangleic. The damage you can do to him is dependent on how many giant's souls you have in your inventory, so that one might count towards that

I think That just works for the other ones. But that might work, I don't know for sure!

That's definitely a thing later on, I just don't know if his soul counts or not.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I just cant fathom this game on a keyboard. The magic from Demon Souls was that the L1/L2 - R1/R2 sorta matched your movements on screen. Each trigger controlling an arm. Where in most games you just mash a face button. Even with a mouse, you're just clicking away and it's suddenly like a diablo game.

To each their own of course and if you're happy, awesome. But I personally feel that playing with a kb+m is wrong in this series.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Jack Trades posted:

Is there any way to bypass the 16:9 aspect ratio lock without stretching the image? Black bars taking 20% of screen space is annoying me to no end.
I can't believe that they promised that DS2 will support any resolution on PC and then lock the god drat aspect ratio like on DS1 port.
Even more ridiculous is the fact that apparently (according to a console-playing friend of mine) console versions can be played on 4:3 screens without any letterboxing.

Over on reddit there's a post about shiftwindow that may fix the problem. It's mainly used for Eve Online but works on other games. It'll let you do borderless windowed mode as well.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

havenwaters posted:

Over on reddit there's a post about shiftwindow that may fix the problem. It's mainly used for Eve Online but works on other games. It'll let you do borderless windowed mode as well.

Yeah, I tried it. It stretches the image, loving it up.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, I tried it. It stretches the image, loving it up.

Well that sucks. Guess we're going to have to wait on Durante's stuff.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Since this thread moves fast, I'll repost this in case anyone missed it:

:siren: :siren: PC TWEAKS COMING OUT FROM THE GUY WHO MADE DSfix :siren: :siren:

(( also have a nVidia card ))

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/21/dark-souls-2-pc-tweaking-guide/screenshot_2014-04-10_21-52-02/

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

This guy on reddit is also an avid DkS2 keyboard+mouse player, and has a lot of helpful comments on how to make things go more smoothly for us house of mouse players. He also links to a megathread/FAQ post of this a few times (guard break, mouse input lag, basically everything that has come up in this thread but consolidated):

http://www.reddit.com/user/Knight_Artorias_
http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/23x5iz/pc_version_common_problems_and_fixes/

Worth checking out.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

cat doter posted:

What the gently caress man, I get summoned by the same dude again (named Apollo) and I'm standing around waiting for whatever the gently caress he's trying to do to happen, and I start swinging at him and it's doing like 10 durability damage a hit to my sword hahaha what the gently caress.

Hackers already man, fuckin hackers.

:rolleye:

If you attack a non-hostile target it does a ton of durability damage.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Cowcaster posted:

So now I'm doing my Dark Souls II Researchtm and I have a question about the bonfire ascetics

One note about them that isn't obvious: They respawn EVERYTHING including items on corpses (not plot items like keys and such) and, most importantly, the boss. You can get as many boss souls as you want in a single play through.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
After struggling with the mouse and keyboard I decided to go gently caress it and use a controller, but the one I'm using is a Logitech, so the controls arent mapped the same way they would on an Xbox, for example, the right stick doesnt control the camera, it makes a hard attack, and I cant find the lock on option. I cant see any way to remap controls in the game itself, any help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NmareBfly posted:

One note about them that isn't obvious: They respawn EVERYTHING including items on corpses (not plot items like keys and such) and, most importantly, the boss. You can get as many boss souls as you want in a single play through.

Not everything, they do not respawn iron chests.