Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

This is my first Souls game, just defeated the first big boss but am getting seriously sick of dying all the time. Guess I just suck too much but the obtuse game mechanics sure aren't helping.. just not my cup of tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hell yeah I finally took the sentinels down. I had no hp left in my bar when I did. How do I get the item on the second floor in that room though? It's outside jumping distance.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Doflamingo posted:

This is my first Souls game, just defeated the first big boss but am getting seriously sick of dying all the time. Guess I just suck too much but the obtuse game mechanics sure aren't helping.. just not my cup of tea.

Have you gone through the tutorial? Are you aware of your surroundings?
If you're at the second bonfire of the Forest, look behind you and go upstairs. Break down the door, keep going further until you find a metal Chest. Use the Small White Soapstone to recover humanity

Also when you're in any menu, press Select to read what something does. It's the Help button, and it's very useful.

VVVV The dudes in the White armor resting have lightning weapons. Also Lightning scales with Faith just so you know.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

How do people already have lightning equipment and poo poo by the lost bastille? I haven't found any special ores and I'm guessing I missed something.

Also when do I get access to infinite titanite shards/large titanite?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

neetengie posted:

The club is better because of the A scaling. Both have the same STR requirement, but the DEX requirement is lower.

The difference in scaling doesn't catch up til you have around 50 str.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Doflamingo posted:

Be slower and more careful. It takes patience, and your biggest enemy is rushing forward to try to get back to where you were before you died. Hard to give advice without knowing what's killing you, though.

Which game mechanics in particular are obtuse or giving you a hard time? You can read tooltips on the stats screen that explain a whole lot of things.

E:

RBA Starblade posted:

Hell yeah I finally took the sentinels down. I had no hp left in my bar when I did. How do I get the item on the second floor in that room though? It's outside jumping distance.

Check around ground level in the boss room for illusory walls. You have to hit a button (A?) to open them, not attack. There are a couple.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

AParadox posted:

Broadsword at risk and I haven't seen a smith yet, and I have no repair consumables as far as I can tell, do I have to indefinitely store it for now?

There's a smith in Majula. Buy the key to his shop from the old merchant hag to make him accessible. Otherwise, stuff will auto-repair at bonfires unless it's completely broken (in which case you need the smith).

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Down goes the Pursuer. He was may second boss, and a loving massive step up in difficulty from the Last of the Giants. The windows were way the gently caress smaller than similar enemies in DS1 - like with a lot of humanoid enemies in this game, really. Still, once I started paying closer attention to his patterns and stopped playing angry, it wasn't too bad. Felt really good to beat him primarily with dual swords - though I pulled a leather shield out whenever I took a hit (and by the time I was down to a half-health cap, two hits was enough to kill me) just so getting nicked while I was trying to bait him into something slow enough for me to drink some Estus afterward wouldn't be a guaranteed disaster.

Idle curiosity - is the tower way off on the horizon of Majula the Tower of Flame? Because, uh, this game is taking some liberties with its geometry if that's the case.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Jesus christ, does anyone else feel like this game is vastly harder/less fair than DS1 was? I've been playing for hours and I still haven't even made it to the first boss even though I played all the way through DaS1 last week in preparation. I just can't handle 3-4x at once, like the crossbow room. I also love being mid-backstab animation and getting hit with 4 arrows at once, then dying. My "progress" so far is dying and repeating each section until poo poo just stops spawning.

I'm honestly fine other than being mobbed by 3-4 at once while something else chunks fire bombs on my head. Had less trouble against O&S and 4Kings combined than I've had just killing Forest trash. I can't even grind levels because I've lost all the souls and everything stopped spawning :saddowns:

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 25, 2014

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

There are a bunch of secret doors in that area. Check for messages or just run along the wall tapping the "open door" key.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

MrTheDevious posted:

Jesus christ, does anyone else feel like this game is vastly harder/less fair than DS1 was? I've been playing for hours and I still haven't even made it to the first boss even though I played all the way through DaS1 last week in preparation. I just can't handle 3-4x at once, like the crossbow room. My "progress" so far is dying and repeating each section until poo poo just stops spawning.

I'm honestly fine other than being mobbed by 3-4 at once while something else chunks fire bombs on my head. Had less trouble against O&S and 4Kings combined than I've had just killing Forest trash. I can't even grind levels because I've lost all the souls and everything stopped spawning :saddowns:

Someone mentioned way back during console release that the game was a lot more like Demons Souls 2 than Dark Souls 2 and it's truest in that regard. IIRC every single enemy could be pulled 1 by 1 in Dark Souls, but in Both Demons and DS2 there are enemies that you're forced to fight in packs. Once you get used to that, I don't think it's any harder than DS1, but it takes some adjusting.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Death is a game mechanic. As a punishment, it is not overly harsh (at least if you think of half/a quarter of your health as bonus HP). Don't let 'YOU DIED' get you down, no matter how many times you see it. We all make the same mistakes, too.

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: Oh my god I can worship a Rat King :lol:

Excuse me, the Rat King does not demand worship. He is a just and compassionate ruler that wishes the best for his subjects and demands only loyalty and vigilance in return. :colbert:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Beat a boss on the first try. Hell yeah :smug:

Die 3 times in a row falling in the room immediately after it :suicide:

kevin mung
Jul 15, 2013

by Shine

MrTheDevious posted:

Jesus christ, does anyone else feel like this game is vastly harder/less fair than DS1 was? I've been playing for hours and I still haven't even made it to the first boss even though I played all the way through DaS1 last week in preparation. I just can't handle 3-4x at once, like the crossbow room. My "progress" so far is dying and repeating each section until poo poo just stops spawning.

I felt like this until I realized I joined the champions covenant that makes the game like 2x as hard, check that. It's a statue in marjula.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

After I beat last giant am I supposed to head straight for The Pursuer?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

A.C. posted:

Someone mentioned way back during console release that the game was a lot more like Demons Souls 2 than Dark Souls 2 and it's truest in that regard. IIRC every single enemy could be pulled 1 by 1 in Dark Souls, but in Both Demons and DS2 there are enemies that you're forced to fight in packs. Once you get used to that, I don't think it's any harder than DS1, but it takes some adjusting.

So how exactly ARE you supposed to fight packs? There's never even a slight pause in their attacks. Not to mention if you backstab one, the rest just assrape you

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

DoctorStrangelove posted:

If you want. You can also go back to Majula and go down the stairs near the cat house. There's a pulley down there which is pretty easy to miss.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

You're not supposed to do anything really. This game is really (mostly) nonlinear, gently caress off to another area if you like and do whatever!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well, I bought myself a beret and a monocle. What a fearsome battlemage I am! What are the new percentages for fast roll/normal roll/fat roll? I see no difference between 35% and 50%, but I do past 75%.

NmareBfly posted:

Check around ground level in the boss room for illusory walls. You have to hit a button (A?) to open them, not attack. There are a couple.

Ahh, thanks. I thought maybe just come back later in the level.

quote:

So how exactly ARE you supposed to fight packs? There's never even a slight pause in their attacks. Not to mention if you backstab one, the rest just assrape you

Either separate them, an aoe attack or item, try and time your heavy attacks in between theirs, or run.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

You don't need to, and there's some good stuff to be found by exploring around the fortress using the key that you got. Beating the Pursuer is actually optional, but it does get you a shortcut to another area, a useful ring, and a very good heavy armor set, including one of the first-available 100%-physical block shields, though a considerable strength investment is needed to use it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

MrTheDevious posted:

If you circle them long enough, you'll eventually get an opportunity, it's just a matter of patience at that point. Really the "best" way to deal with most things in DS2 is berserk aggression and killing things quickly but that's much easier said than done on your first playthrough or two :o:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bobnumerotres posted:

How do people already have lightning equipment and poo poo by the lost bastille? I haven't found any special ores and I'm guessing I missed something.

Also when do I get access to infinite titanite shards/large titanite?

You can get a lightining swoed by killing the white knight in the Forest. Although I, too, would like to know where I can get infinite titanite, I'd really like to upgrade my shield.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

RBA Starblade posted:

Well, I bought myself a beret and a monocle. What a fearsome battlemage I am! What are the new percentages for fast roll/normal roll/fat roll? I see no difference between 35% and 50%, but I do past 75%.

Ahh, thanks. I thought maybe just come back later in the level.

Either separate them, an aoe attack or item, try and time your heavy attacks in between theirs, or run.

Some of that has to do with your equipment, but a lot will relate to how high your adaptability stat is.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
Holy poo poo! A hollow threw a firebomb at me while I was thrusting my sword in his direction and the bomb bounced off my sword and flew at him. Game of the Year.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

A.C. posted:

If you circle them long enough, you'll eventually get an opportunity, it's just a matter of patience at that point. Really the "best" way to deal with most things in DS2 is berserk aggression and killing things quickly but that's much easier said than done on your first playthrough or two :o:

Hahah that's how I deal with things in DS1 now, but not really remotely good enough at 2 yet :v:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

MrTheDevious posted:

Jesus christ, does anyone else feel like this game is vastly harder/less fair than DS1 was? I've been playing for hours and I still haven't even made it to the first boss even though I played all the way through DaS1 last week in preparation. I just can't handle 3-4x at once, like the crossbow room. I also love being mid-backstab animation and getting hit with 4 arrows at once, then dying. My "progress" so far is dying and repeating each section until poo poo just stops spawning.

Honestly, I've been finding it easier than Dark Souls 1, but I've only gotten up to just past the first boss.

A huge help is the massive summon attachment rates: Going through an area as a phantom/shade once to learn where the gently caress everything is before assaulting it on your own really helps. Going through it 5 more times just to get the hang of it helps even more!

I mean, I don't know how getting mobbed by 3-4 guys while something else chucks fire bombs on your head is even that much different than undead burg? You could make the argument that there's more enemies and they're more aggressive, but even so they're still just bargain-basement hollow trash that can't take more than a few hits and have huge windups to their attacks.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

RBA Starblade posted:

70% is the mid/fat barrier, I don't think hard numbers exist below that other than degrees of how far/fast your roll with lower weight, and more ADP gives you more invulnerable frames in the roll.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

I, too, would like to know where I can get infinite titanite, I'd really like to upgrade my shield.

It'll take a while. At some point (clearing Iron Keep) someone in Majula restocks with infinite numbers of smalls, and there's a thing you'll get in the same zone that'll open up another vendor who has larges. Small and large shards are more precious earlier on than they really should be, imo. Chunks you can get easily through the Bellkeepers. Easily as in like 30 in two hours massacring people.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 26, 2014

NamePolice
Feb 26, 2011
What's a good weapon to switch to from the Mace? I'm in Huntsman's Copse and I don't want to gimp myself by over depending on it, like the Drake Sword in DS1. I was using Dex weapons since I rocked the BSS in DS1 and wanted to wheel and deal some hardcore damage, but I respecced into Strength after reading that Dex scaling is awful in this game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Archenteron posted:

70% is the mid/fat barrier, I don't think hard numbers exist below that other than degrees of how far/fast your roll with lower weight, and more ADP gives you more invulnerable frames in the roll.

Cool, I've been a little wary of tossing on the elite knight set but I guess there's no problem then. Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. I've been putting attunement and ADP pretty high for agility.

The game is significantly easier than Dark Souls 1 for me so far, but that's probably because I played through and completed Dark Souls 1 twice. I know what to expect. I'm still dying here and there, but I've died probably six or seven times max. Much less than starting fresh in DS1.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

NamePolice posted:

What's a good weapon to switch to from the Mace? I'm in Huntsman's Copse and I don't want to gimp myself by over depending on it, like the Drake Sword in DS1. I was using Dex weapons since I rocked the BSS in DS1 and wanted to wheel and deal some hardcore damage, but I respecced into Strength after reading that Dex scaling is awful in this game.

Get the LArge Club from the Lost Bastille. In the Servant's Quarter's bonfire, downstairs.
It will be your lover forever.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

Honestly, I've been finding it easier than Dark Souls 1, but I've only gotten up to just past the first boss.

A huge help is the massive summon attachment rates: Going through an area as a phantom/shade once to learn where the gently caress everything is before assaulting it on your own really helps. Going through it 5 more times just to get the hang of it helps even more!

I mean, I don't know how getting mobbed by 3-4 guys while something else chucks fire bombs on your head is even that much different than undead burg? You could make the argument that there's more enemies and they're more aggressive, but even so they're still just bargain-basement hollow trash that can't take more than a few hits and have huge windups to their attacks.

In Lost Bastille there are a lot of annoying group fights. IMO Lost Bastille has a number of really badly designed gameplay elements but whatever.

Also, I agree on the summoning thing but at the same time I'd like to be able to win battles on my own. 4 or 5 years from now if I want to do a play through of DS2 again I don't want to have to rely on summons to make it through certain areas. I'm a few bosses in and haven't relied on summons to win anything yet, but I have been summoned a few times in order to return myself to human form without using an effigy (another gameplay element that I hope doesn't suffer 4 or 5 years from now if I want to replay the game). Yeah it's great now because 60k people are playing but it won't always be that way.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cowcaster posted:

DaS2 doesn't start out much harder than DaS and doesn't ever really get much harder than DaS' hardest areas, but it ramps up the difficulty much less smoothly - there's about three early game areas, not all of them connected, and then you get dumped into the midgame without so much as a "well, ya done good". It's pretty jarring to get to Bastille as your second area, which may account for some of the salt in this thread.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Is invading harder in this game or something? I spent 4 hours in human mode in appropriate level zones and didn't get a singular scoundrel to try out my rapier parrying skills with.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Maxmaps posted:

Is invading harder in this game or something? I spent 4 hours in human mode in appropriate level zones and didn't get a singular scoundrel to try out my rapier parrying skills with.

There's no Red Eye Orb in this game, and Cracked Red Eye Orbs are a little more limited. Most pvp is either in the Bell Towers, the Ratbros (to a limited definition of pvp) and the Redbro Duel Arena, or NG+.

Also you don't need to be human to be invaded anymore.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Archenteron posted:

There's no Red Eye Orb in this game, and Cracked Red Eye Orbs are a little more limited. Most pvp is either in the Bell Towers, the Ratbros (to a limited definition of pvp) and the Redbro Duel Arena, or NG+

I wish I would get invaded at all outside those areas; it's half the fun. Not to mention how I thought the sentinels worked; you got invaded trying to progress somewhere, the sentinels show up and help you with it. Instead it seems like it's just for those few specific areas with covenants.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The Royal Greatsword and Drangleic Greatsword have this weird animation on the two-handed R1/R2's where they look like they're sinking into a perfect position to stab (in an actual longsword guard, no less) and then just slash instead. It throws me off every time because I'm expecting a slash/stab combination.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

MrTheDevious posted:

It is. You will encounter bosses that have a move that insta-depletes your stamina followed by a 3 hits combo. Most trash mobs, and almost all the bosses have such wide swings for every attack that you will get hit regardless, and rolling is terrible now. Also the rat horde fight is the shittiest, worst designed, clunkiest boss fight I've ever seen. It would be an easy one too, what makes it frustrating is the fact that your weapon keeps hitting those loving small statues all the time.

It definitely looks like certain bosses are designed to be only killed in coop (or steamrolled solo when you're hilariously over-leveled), but this creates cheesy moments like 1 phantom getting the boss attention and just blocking all the time, another hitting his butt, and you shooting with your crossbow 20 meters away. If it doesn't sound epic it's because it's really not.

So yes, this is definitely the cheapest of the 3 DS in my opinion, and the least fair.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

this thread needs more spoiler tags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I wish I would get invaded at all outside those areas; it's half the fun. Not to mention how I thought the sentinels worked; you got invaded trying to progress somewhere, the sentinels show up and help you with it. Instead it seems like it's just for those few specific areas with covenants.

The sentinels both are what you said (Though, again, more of a thing in NG+ due to that invasion limitation thing), as well as the Drangleic Police. Let me tell you, murder all your NPCs at the end of a run to rack up the sin, then head to Heide's Tower in NG+ and boy howdy you will have a neverending stream of the po-po.