Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So where do you get shards? Found one in the well in Majula and i've yet to find anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Internet Kraken posted:

Black Gulch is an emerald colored death trap. I really need to get the poison resistant ring, but I have a sinking feeling it isn't going to help at all.

A whip is better. Long range and destroys the statues. Burn everything else.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I just got to No Man's Wharf and what the gently caress is that thing

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Konjuro posted:

Are elemental weapons in DS2 as useless outside of PVP as they were in DS1? I found a lightning and a flame sword in the first area, and I'm wondering if they're worth upgrading.

Good question. I'll tell you after I've managed to get through Earthen Peek into Iron Keep where the flame the elemental blacksmith needs is hidden. Be a bit though as I've gotta take a break after trudging through an area more Poisonous than Blighttown (not as Toxic though, but that's because Poison is the new Toxic).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Splurgerwitzl posted:

Is there any way out of the Bastille before the sentinels except by killing them? I've been farming souls here and everybody I cooperate with is really bad.

There is. There's a boarded up room in the courtyard with the dog things and scaffolds. Once you fight your way through there to the last room, you can use a Pharros lockstone that will open two hidden rooms. Both have treasure, but the one on the right has an iron maiden-like cage that acts an elevator to the upper levels of the Bastille and eventually another area.

Mans posted:

So where do you get shards? Found one in the well in Majula and i've yet to find anyone else.

There's one in the basement of the big locked house in Majula - save its owner to get the key, one in locked room above the second bonfire in Forest of Fallen Giants (break down the door). Annnd that's it for Majula/FoFG.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 26, 2014

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Nathilus posted:

The only thing about this game that makes me sad is that it makes DS1 seem drat near unplayable. I'm only at dead man's wharf and the quality of life improvements have already made it so that there is no going back. RIP. :(
I just went back and had some fun for an hour. it's the same game. actually there are quite of a lot of differences but ds1 is still fun as hell

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

neetengie posted:

A whip is better. Long range and destroys the statues. Burn everything else.

Where can I get a whip? Haven't even seen an enemy using one or a vendor selling it. I could of easily missed it though, I'm terrible at finding loot hidden in the dark.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Where can I get a whip? Haven't even seen an enemy using one or a vendor selling it. I could of easily missed it though, I'm terrible at finding loot hidden in the dark.

Teleport to Huntsmans Copse second bonfire, and after the first bridge, turn right and keep going that way - if you meet the bridge that needs to be lowered you went too far. You'll know it's the right area because you'll encounter a new enemy.
EDIT: When you first encounter that new enemy, you should have passed a very small bridge crossing. After you kill him, go right again for the Notched Whip.

neetengie fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 26, 2014

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Do you have any weapons with long reach? If you two hand a longsword, your strong attack should have enough range to take out some of the peskier statues. Well, it worked ok enough for me.

Also, fire is your friend in this place.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Kimmalah posted:

There is. There's a boarded up room in the courtyard with the dog things and scaffolds. Once you fight your way through there to the last room, you can use a Pharros lockstone that will open two hidden rooms. Both have treasure, but the one on the right has an iron maiden-like cage that acts an elevator to the upper levels of the Bastille and eventually another area.

Thank yooouuu.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Soul arrows and the binoculars are great for breaking the poison traps.

Splurgerwitzl posted:

Thank yooouuu.

I'd recommend eventually trying to finish the Bastille, but no problem. :)

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I'm having trouble discerning how the names are censored. I got summoned by "Arc**l"

or is this just some next-level :darksouls: with fake censorship?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You can't even use Knight in the name because of, well, "nig" being in it.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Cool, found Black Gulch, spent 3 minutes carefully destroying every statue on the path, and was then eaten by a leech for an OHKO :suicide:

You know, it wouldn't be so annoying if those statues didn't respawn and they didn't put you in poison with just two hits. Its like Blighttown only x100 worse because the toxic assholes are everywhere and they respawn.

EDIT: Which sucks since if it weren't for the statues, I'd love this area. But the statue respawning is so annoying.

They don't respawn per se (but seriously read this): They re-load. Anything that causes you go to a load screen, such as dying or warping, will cause them to "respawn." Walking back to a bonfire, however, will not. Go through the area slowly and don't be afraid to chug flasks like mad and return to the bonfire on foot as soon as soon as you need to. This also allos you to repair your weapon periodically.

Bigger hint, don't read unless you want that area's easy-mode: stay near the cliff edge to your right. At the end of it will be a path past a rock wall. Follow it to get to a second bonfire that gives you easy access to the boss.

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 26, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

neetengie posted:

Teleport to Huntsmans Copse second bonfire, and after the first bridge, turn right and keep going that way - if you meet the bridge that needs to be lowered you went too far. You'll know it's the right area because you'll encounter a new enemy.
EDIT: When you first encounter that new enemy, you should have passed a very small bridge crossing. After you kill him, go right again for the Notched Whip.

Never been to a place called Hunstmans Copse.

0lives posted:

Do you have any weapons with long reach? If you two hand a longsword, your strong attack should have enough range to take out some of the peskier statues. Well, it worked ok enough for me.

Also, fire is your friend in this place.

My main weapon is a spear, which works well against the leeches and can destroy the statues just fine. Problem is the durability is horrible for some reason. If I use it to break all the statues and fight the leeches it degrades way too fast, and nobody down there is summoning so I can't work around it either.

EDIT: Wow okay, I just got killed by bleed damage during PvP when the bar didn't even come up :geno:

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
Those magnificent motherfuckers at From brought back the best enemies from DS1 :allears:

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Tallgeese posted:

Well sure, but the only thing I can possibly think is that they wanted to censor "cun" just in case, but why not censor the "c" too?

edit: oh hey *****eTickler

Grey Fox fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 26, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Never been to a place called Hunstmans Copse.

gently caress off. Go down to Majula and to the intersection where the path to Heide's was, and the miracle vendor should be there. Pay her 2k to move the contraption, and now you have access to Huntsman's Copse

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Those magnificent motherfuckers at From brought back the best enemies from DS1 :allears:

Only for a limited time showing! So enjoy those 4, they never show up ever again.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Cool, found Black Gulch, spent 3 minutes carefully destroying every statue on the path, and was then eaten by a leech for an OHKO :suicide:

You know, it wouldn't be so annoying if those statues didn't respawn and they didn't put you in poison with just two hits. Its like Blighttown only x100 worse because the toxic assholes are everywhere and they respawn.

EDIT: Which sucks since if it weren't for the statues, I'd love this area. But the statue respawning is so annoying.

Buy 20 or so lifegems from the hag merchant, one lifegem will almost entirely nullify poison's damage, two will heal you through it. It takes about 6 to get through every poison area in Harvest Valley, 4 or 5 to get through the area you're in, and, well, those are the only places poison is a problem I guess.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Not only do pubbies not know how to deal with Great Soul Arrow, they really don't know what the hell to do about a naked man with a pair of daggers in their face. By the way did you know you could plunging attack with daggers? Because you can. :getin:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 26, 2014

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tallgeese posted:

Rip Gayman2020 :(

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I really wish the warning on breaking weapons happened sooner. I keep getting them mid combo and welp.

Dr. Bonertron
Mar 26, 2009

The doctor said I was too muscular to be aborted
Okay, just about done installing this thing. I really liked having a plan for my characters going into the first two games, but I haven't been able to find a very good resource for builds as the Wiki page seems like a mess.

Any suggestions? I typically like to play a melee character, not too worried about whether he's fast or slow. More interested in the neat weapons that are available.

Theli
Jan 23, 2002

SORRY ABOUT MY TAINT
Fun Shoe
Wow, I'm had so much fun sunbro-ing it up today outside of Ornstein. I wish I had been able to do it more in DS1, but I didn't start playing it until a few months ago and I could never get summoned. Why even bother wasting effigies to reverse hollowing when you can take 5 minutes to help someone kill a boss and get a bunch of souls to boot.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Lost three shades in a row to exploding barrels. :lol:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
why am I not seeing any summong sign down in Black Gulch? Place is totally empty. Not even seeing ones by the bonfire.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

why am I not seeing any summong sign down in Black Gulch? Place is totally empty. Not even seeing ones by the bonfire.

It's kind of an out of the way place, maybe a lot of people haven't gotten there yet? :shrug: And some places just tend to be more popular to co-op than others.

Also make sure you haven't hollowed and forgot or something. I've done that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What's the deal with bouncing off people instead of backstabbing them, by the way? It happens in PVP and PVE.

e: A guy with a greatsword missed a jump attack entirely three times in a row and murdered me. :(

e: There is zero point in trying to guard break online. It will not work.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 26, 2014

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/24/dark-souls-2-modded-durantes-gedosato-enables-downsampling-texture-modding/
Durante's GeDoSaTo tool is nice, the SSAO makes a nice little difference. The only bug I've seen is some goofiness on one end of Mejula's skybox.

And there's actually a few texture mods out already, including PS3 UI buttons and non-greenish Hollow skin.
http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Kimmalah posted:

Is there a way to get here if I came into the area the other way?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Splurgerwitzl posted:

Is there a way to get here if I came into the area the other way?

Via the the Pursuer's bird?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Man, where are all the red & blue Phantoms?

I've seen one red invader and no blue phantoms, even when wearing the Blue Sentinel ring everywhere. Meanwhile I've seen hundreds of grey phantoms from the bell tower & rat zone. Guess I should take matters into my own hands and use some cracked red eye orbs.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Darox posted:

I've seen one red invader and no blue phantoms, even when wearing the Blue Sentinel ring everywhere. Meanwhile I've seen hundreds of grey phantoms from the bell tower & rat zone. Guess I should take matters into my own hands and use some cracked red eye orbs.

If it's anything like the console releases, go into NG+ for invasions. If you want to be invaded constantly, then in addition kill around 10 NPCs, enough to be a Sinner on the player info screen.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Darox posted:

It's harder to get invasion stones in NGO and the potential pool of targets is much larger. The covenant zones don't have those problems.

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011
This may not be the proper place, but I was hoping to WHEEL AND DEAL with the PC players. Does anyone have a Old Knight Ultra Greatsword to trade? I'm working on a Cloud Strife cosplay and it looks eerily like the Buster Sword. Current SM 130,000.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Yeah, I haven't been able to get a single bite on using my cracked blue eye orbs or from being summoned as a Blue Sentinel. Maybe it gets better at NG+ but it's feeling pretty pointless right now.

I have been invaded a handful of times though so looks like the red orbs are working.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Kimmalah posted:

Via the the Pursuer's bird?
Yeah

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Just killed the Rotten - I'm tempted to use an Ascetic for that sweet weapon I can make with that soul of his though. Am I a bad enough dude to kill the NG+ Rotten yet?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hm, I didn't think the Rotten would be hard the first time I fought him. I got him to about half health since dodging his attacks was so easy.

Then I got hit by one and got OHKOd. Then the next time I got OHKOd. And it turns out basically all of his attacks OHKO me :v: Maybe I should of invested in more health.

VVV Yeah dodging is easy, its just a single miss and I'm dead. Its like Asylum Demon on steroids. Currently SL 49.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Hm, I didn't think the Rotten would be hard the first time I fought him. I got him to about half health since dodging his attacks was so easy.

Then I got hit by one and got OHKOd. Then the next time I got OHKOd. And it turns out basically all of his attacks OHKO me :v: Maybe I should of invested in more health.

He's slow as poo poo, just dodge. Also, what's your SM? I found a good amount of signs when I fought him. Also if you care for the Lucatiel cheevo bring her.